Specs are a little weak..so I'll be passing on this one.
    It has "8MP AUTOFOCUS" which is good, right? Otherwise, they wouldn't say so near the camera lens.
    02-27-15 03:21 PM
    Your words are harsher than I would formulate it.
    But by now, I do wonder about their data gathering/analysis/market analysis team and the informations Chen has, that we don't.

Because if there isn't some crucial data/info we are missing, I tend to agree that Chen doesn't seem to understand the smartphone market.
    He isn't alone though.
    The decision making since(and including) the BlackBerry Storm, in terms of giving the market the handsets it desires, has been awful..
    Why should he... he has only been involved in this business for a year, and his advisors were mostly all from the OLD guard and we know none of them understood the smartphone market either.

Chen knew about having to make the hard calls to cut cost and keeping spending down. But how to provide a product that people wanted, how to get the engineers to get BB10 out of beta, how to get developers to pay any attention to BlackBerry, how to work with carrier to get new products featured.... these were things he was totally lost with. Even now he mainly talks about Services that are much closer to what he knew at Sybase. And the information gathering and analytics that QNX momentics is working towards sounds a lot like some of what Sybase did. So Chen is doing what he knows, and that will most likely be turning BlackBerry (or what is left of it) into Sybase.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-27-15 03:26 PM
    It has "8MP AUTOFOCUS" which is good, right? Otherwise, they wouldn't say so near the camera lens.
    'Autofocus'?! My god, that's exciting!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 03:31 PM
    I would've bought this device if they had made it look like a Z10 with the screen size they're offering... The Z10 is the best, classy looking phone I've ever come across and nothing has come close to it yet, not a single device on the market has beaten the Z10 in terms of design. I personally feel, this is the best design blackberry has ever come up with and that this is the best looking phone in the market or at least was as they're saying... about the blackberry leap though, if they were going to copy the looks from a previous device or make it look similar why the Z3 out of every other device, the Z3 looks just sad. There's a Z3 in my family and ever time I look at it I wish they had put some thought to the design of the phone and not just put it out there in the market coz it's a low end device, no matter how it looks. If I were a Z3, I'd be screaming out 'I Deserve Better '... Alright, anyway, I personally, don't like the Z3 and because the leap looks almost exactly like the Z3, I'm going to have to wait for something that catches my eye... like the Z10 did, initially.

Posted via CB10
    I personally prefer the Z30 design. Similar to the Z10 but thinner and more battery space since it isn't removable, and that doesn't bother me because all removable battery BlackBerry devices seem to have issues with reboots when setting the device down later in their lives.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 03:54 PM
    Anyone with kids is going to think of the LEAP pad.

That's a child's tablet that runs educational games. Not an ideal association, to be sure.
    But if this device is meant to serve undeveloped markets, then that's probably no matter.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    That's me. First thing I thought of when I first saw that name.

I can see eventual comparisons in the anti-BB blog posts...

This is what my own 5-year-old has...

Blackberry leap/rio new pic  :)-dsc_l4240_in-package.png

Yeah... I'm not feeling that name for a BlackBerry....
    Last edited by joeldf; 02-28-15 at 12:17 PM.
    02-28-15 12:06 PM
    They put a big label advertising its 8 megaP camera. Folks, that's nothing to advertise. That is two years old specs.

The Z10 has it in specs. Display being one.

BlackBerry hates America!
    The specs are weak but apple has 2-3 years old specs in the lol cough cough new iphone6.

America hates freedom and democracy
    America hates BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 02:40 PM
    The specs are weak but apple has 2-3 years old specs in the lol cough cough new iphone6.

America hates BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Right.

Except that whole custom-engineered chip set with a software stack written specifically for it. An approach, notably, no other OEM in the space can take.

Seriously dude. You so yourself a disservice saying such things. It only indicates that you don't know what you're talking about.

02-28-15 02:56 PM
    Most observers seem to be missing the point : presumably this is aimed at developing markets and perhaps poorer countries where cost not high spec is the factor. If cheap, it could sell loads in those sectors.

Posted via CB10
    Tru... but wen has BlackBerry made a cheap device since os5? Z3 was way too expensive in these "poorer countries "

CB10 via Z10
    02-28-15 03:12 PM
    Chen will have his low-risk (manufacturing/investment-wise) Foxconn one-two punch for Enterprise drones with the Classic and Leap.

He'll also have the Passport and (hopefully) upcoming Victoria for the corporate execs and BYOD "prosumers".

Looks like a pretty good roadmap to me given BlackBerry's target market.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    02-28-15 03:28 PM
    I think this device is too thick at 9.5 mm, plus BlackBerry should reduce the bezels. Only complaints about the design.

The specs should be refreshed because there are other mid range devices showing off quad-core processors, or at least dual-core processor clocked at 2.0

The camera would be OK if BlackBerry improves the lense and the software (iPhone 6 has 8 mega pixels, too).

Then, it could be an upgrade for my Z10

Swipe addict Via CB10 /  STL100-1 / 10.3.1.2072
    02-28-15 03:31 PM

America hates BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Except for that whole 64 bit CPU with advanced GPU, more LTE networks supported on a single device, etc.... But let the lower RAM required for a more efficient OS be the only thing you base your opinion on.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    02-28-15 04:14 PM
    Except for that whole 64 bit CPU with advanced GPU, more LTE networks supported on a single device, etc.... But let the lower RAM required for a more efficient OS be the only thing you base your opinion on.

Posted via CB10
    iOS8 is no more efficient then other mobile operating systems. They just use an extremely aggressive memory management system that force closes pretty much everything to make room for new apps to be opened. In general, background processes are very rarely allowed.

While this is good for Apple since they can save money getting away with selling devices with 1gb of RAM in 2015, it is a terrible choice for any user that wishes to have productivity.

You cannot truly multitask in iOS.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    02-28-15 04:52 PM
    Most observers seem to be missing the point : presumably this is aimed at developing markets and perhaps poorer countries where cost not high spec is the factor. If cheap, it could sell loads in those sectors.

Posted via CB10
    Except developing/emerging markets in "poorer countries" isn't exactly a vacuum... BlackBerry would be up against fierce competition from the plethora of dirt cheap Android handsets. Some that are selling for break-even pricing, and well under $200.
    02-28-15 05:08 PM
    This phone features a terrible name, terrible hardware specs, a terrible app ecosystem and comes with what I am sure will be a terrible price.

Who will be interested in buying one of these? It isn't 2008 anymore, folks in developing markets have a huge amount of affordable options available now and with BB10 not using BIS, there is even less reasons to go with a BlackBerry.

I get the feeling that Chen has already gave up on the BlackBerry hardware business and these latest phones were: 1) Already too far along to kill off. 2) A way to use up unused hardware bits they had laying around. 3) A result of contractual obligations.

Sad to see. Even during the legacy OS days they weren't putting out such underwhelming turds.
    02-28-15 05:34 PM
    iOS8 is no more efficient then other mobile operating systems. They just use an extremely aggressive memory management system that force closes pretty much everything to make room for new apps to be opened. In general, background processes are very rarely allowed.

While this is good for Apple since they can save money getting away with selling devices with 1gb of RAM in 2015, it is a terrible choice for any user that wishes to have productivity.

You cannot truly multitask in iOS.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    You keep holding onto that notion.
    Blackberry sure did, and it served them well. (Except it didn't.)

Meanwhile,...iOS continues to devour BlackBerry's share of the enterprise.

jmr1015 likes this.
    02-28-15 08:04 PM
    There are many things I don't like in this phone.
    At 300$ it is too high. After 3years they should improve specs as all companies stopped manufacturing S4 processors in devices.
    They should decrease the bezels. It is too high and the phone doesn't look good at 9.5mm thickness. These days phones are very thin and have a good battery even. It is a big phone so even by decreasing thickness they can put a very good amount of MAH battery in it.
    I don't know if they improved the camera. At the backside it has written auto focus as if no mobile is yet available. Z10 camera can't compete today's modern mobiles. When z10 was released it was very good as there were very few good mobiles than....
    I am walking for an full touch high end device and not rio. Z10 is very much better than rio.

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    03-01-15 02:42 AM
    Yikes!

I think BlackBerry should just revert into making flip phones instead of flop phones.

Kidding!

Posted from a D618
    Deckard79 and kanungoash like this.
    03-01-15 03:16 AM
    They put a big label advertising its 8 megaP camera. Folks, that's nothing to advertise. That is two years old specs.

The Z10 has it in specs. Display being one.

More like 5 years, my Nokia N8 has 12MP..2010 release :P
    03-01-15 03:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Bite me. You can place the anti-American attitude some place special.

BTW, Canada is in the Americas as well.

03-01-15 04:48 AM
    Yikes!

I think BlackBerry should just revert into making flip phones instead of flop phones.

Kidding!

Posted from a D618
    I like that

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 01:50 PM
    I miss nokia

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    03-08-15 01:21 AM
    BlackBerry is making devices for everyone to enjoy. Not just for some people.

Q10 Filipinas
    03-08-15 06:18 AM
    I still use mine as back up/multimedia phone

Q10 Filipinas
    03-08-15 06:21 AM
    I miss nokia

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    Same
    03-08-15 07:38 AM
    I still use mine as back up/multimedia phone

Q10 Filipinas
    I've still got my Nokia Collection, 5530, N8, 808 and Asha 310 + z10 when the battery isn't flat
    03-08-15 07:39 AM
50 12