So my keyone made it here on Tuesday and today is Saturday and the keyone is still sitting there unused. You may be wondering why. Well let me tell you, I spent a few hours on Tuesday night trying to get the keyone setup with everything my priv has on it. Apps, contacts, messenger history etc etc. I finally got so frustrated that I wiped the keyone and put it back in the box.

So later in the week I started to look for an app that would allow me to backup and restore both apps and app data so I didn't have to complete Re configure every app on my phone. The only app I could find that said it could do it without the phone being rooted was helium. I was happy to find it only to be quickly disappointed after trying to get the app registered via the required PC app. It jus refused to register. So there went another several hours of time researching why it wouldn't work, I finally found an obscure post on XDA forum saying that it sometimes needed abd command run before the PC app would recognize the pH of register.

So I finally got the PC app to register the app on the phone. So here I am with about 8+ hours spent trying to setup the keyone and I am pretty well over the keyone at this point and contemplating just sending it back.

Why has BlackBerry not released an app to allow full backup and restore for their android devices? If this were BB10 or even earlier versions this would have taken all of 30 minutes and I would have had a complete clone of my old phone. It for sure turns me off of the Android devices.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    06-24-17 11:52 AM
    Google backup did a good job for me.

Out of my over 100 apps, I only needed to setup about half of them again. Took me an hour or so after the unattended stuff was done.

Alternatively, just set each one up as you use them the first time.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-24-17 11:58 AM
    Lol. I can not see how a 50% recovery of data is anywhere near acceptable. I agree with the OP. Why can BlackBerry or google for that matter release an app that can do a full restore of the device.

Posted via CB10
    chaddt and FF22 like this.
    06-24-17 12:12 PM
    Lol. I can not see how a 50% recovery of data is anywhere near acceptable. I agree with the OP. Why can BlackBerry or google for that matter release an app that can do a full restore of the device.

Posted via CB10
    Newer apps (and app updates) are getting on board with the Google Backup mechanism, so this will be much less of a problem going forward. So no need for BlackBerry to reinvent the wheel at this stage.
    06-24-17 12:29 PM
    What is the Google backup mechanism? How does that work? Will it restore all 150 of my apps and widgets arranged across 9 pages, just like I have them now? If not, what will?
    06-24-17 09:55 PM
    If you log into the Google Play Store with the same ID as your previous Android device, your apps should be listed under library and you can download at one time....
    06-24-17 10:11 PM
    What is the Google backup mechanism? How does that work? Will it restore all 150 of my apps and widgets arranged across 9 pages, just like I have them now? If not, what will?
    Depends on Launcher and OS version, but apps will be downloaded again and many will retain their settings.
    06-24-17 10:31 PM
    So my keyone made it here on Tuesday and today is Saturday and the keyone is still sitting there unused. You may be wondering why. Well let me tell you, I spent a few hours on Tuesday night trying to get the keyone setup with everything my priv has on it. Apps, contacts, messenger history etc etc. I finally got so frustrated that I wiped the keyone and put it back in the box.

So later in the week I started to look for an app that would allow me to backup and restore both apps and app data so I didn't have to complete Re configure every app on my phone. The only app I could find that said it could do it without the phone being rooted was helium. I was happy to find it only to be quickly disappointed after trying to get the app registered via the required PC app. It jus refused to register. So there went another several hours of time researching why it wouldn't work, I finally found an obscure post on XDA forum saying that it sometimes needed abd command run before the PC app would recognize the pH of register.

So I finally got the PC app to register the app on the phone. So here I am with about 8+ hours spent trying to setup the keyone and I am pretty well over the keyone at this point and contemplating just sending it back.

Why has BlackBerry not released an app to allow full backup and restore for their android devices? If this were BB10 or even earlier versions this would have taken all of 30 minutes and I would have had a complete clone of my old phone. It for sure turns me off of the Android devices.
    The Device Transfer app (Content Transfer App for Blackberry) actually comes preinstalled. If not you can downloaded it from Google Play.
    06-24-17 10:36 PM
    The Device Transfer app (Content Transfer App for Blackberry) actually comes preinstalled. If not you can downloaded it from Google Play.
    It doesn't back up and restore everything. Again I want a complete clone of my device the same as I had with previous BlackBerry devices. I don't want to have to guess what's going to be there and what's not. I don't want to have to spend time reinstalling and reconfiguring apps, I don't want to have to set up all my screens and folders again.

I am changing from a BlackBerry priv to a BlackBerry keyone why should it be a hassle.
    06-24-17 11:22 PM
    what exactly do you want cloned? All your apps will download again when you log in to Google play. the screen and folders for apps shouldn't take more then a few minutes to set up again. you can just look at your Priv screens and replicate it. Seems like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    howarmat and anon(870071) like this.
    06-24-17 11:44 PM
    Now that I'm well into the Google ecosystem I setup a new handset from scratch each time. It may take a while longer yet it's perfect time to purge the past!
    Smokeaire likes this.
    06-25-17 06:01 AM
    I had a really good time with my K1 setup. Took 3 days because I would spend about an hour each night with it. I installed each app one by one and set up each app as they were installed. If I was confused about certain settings, I'd refer to my Dtek60.

Seems as though you created your own hell. I too wish we had Link type capabilities, but the way to win in a no+win situation is all in how we deal with it.
    06-25-17 07:18 AM
    Then I'm not sure what you're looking for. I went from Priv to KeyOne and had all my APPS, contacts, etc moved over. Not sure what you mean by setting up screens. I didn't need to spend time configuring.
    06-25-17 08:44 AM
    Then I'm not sure what you're looking for. I went from Priv to KeyOne and had all my APPS, contacts, etc moved over. Not sure what you mean by setting up screens. I didn't need to spend time configuring.
    I think the OP means which apps he had on his home screens. For me, I actually removed most of them from home screen because of keyboard shortcuts but even if someone didn't want to do that, it's not the end of the world to just set them up the same way. It wouldn't really take that long unless you use like 5000 apps.
    06-25-17 08:58 AM
    Alternatively, just set each one up as you use them the first time.
    I like THIS approach.
    06-25-17 09:11 AM
    Exactly. If it's just the shortcuts, that's not going to take "hours" . I actually didn't need the same amount of icons because I'm now using the keyboard shortcuts.
    06-25-17 09:14 AM
    what exactly do you want cloned? All your apps will download again when you log in to Google play. the screen and folders for apps shouldn't take more then a few minutes to set up again. you can just look at your Priv screens and replicate it. Seems like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Thinking the same thing but open to the possibility that there is something we're not understand about what the OP is looking for to have "cloned" . My transfer was smooth and I got everything I needed was transfered over.
    06-25-17 09:17 AM
    What I would like is the same functionality we had with BlackBerry Link. Make a backup of an existing device and be able to restore that backup to another device and have to do nothing else. I am guessing those that don't fully understand what I am talking about have never done a backup and restore using BlackBerry Link.
    06-25-17 11:26 AM
    What I would like is the same functionality we had with BlackBerry Link. Make a backup of an existing device and be able to restore that backup to another device and have to do nothing else. I am guessing those that don't fully understand what I am talking about have never done a backup and restore using BlackBerry Link.
    Sure have. It's probably the worst software BlackBerry ever wrote, and was single handedly responsible for the vast majority of update issues, as it had the uncanny habit of corrupting fresh devices with out of date and error-filled settings.
    psychofox13 likes this.
    06-25-17 11:33 AM
    There is no way to do a complete clone, even when rooted. The best possible is to copy apps and their settings, and even that isn't recommended to do between different phones. If it really bothers you to rebuild your UI (which would have taken far less time than 8 hours), then you shouldn't buy new phones ever.
    JeBe4 likes this.
    06-25-17 12:44 PM
    Isn't it best practice to always setup a device as new? I find setting up a new phone is a part of the experience. I don't have hundreds of apps so I can't speak on that lol.

Any files or data I need backed up I do separate and if I'm switching a device or care enough I do screenshots of how I have my apps setup etc. Then just download the apps individually and then if the app has data (say my budget app) that needs data loaded into it, I just go to my backup source and download that file so the app can access it.

Up to an hour at most and your phone should be setup. I don't do any backing up saving passwords app data history etc. In theory it's "convenient" but my gut reaction tells me to disable all that. Ive never used backup services. Don't want all that in the "cloud"
    06-25-17 03:11 PM
    Can't speak for others but it my case your guess would be incorrect. I have used Link, which is why I'm not understanding why using the content transfer app is such an issue in your case.

I do wish you luck but I don't think I have anything more to offer. I had zero issues moving from Priv to KeyOne and definitely didn't spend hours setting up the KeyOne.
    06-25-17 09:57 PM
    Can't speak for others but it my case your guess would be incorrect. I have used Link, which is why I'm not understanding why using the content transfer app is such an issue in your case.

I do wish you luck but I don't think I have anything more to offer. I had zero issues moving from Priv to KeyOne and definitely didn't spend hours setting up the KeyOne.
    All of this is the same for me. I don't get what part takes hours.
    06-26-17 12:58 AM
    I don't see any issues the settings is so simple and so easy
    06-26-17 04:28 AM
    I always set up new devices from scratch as well.
    06-26-17 05:33 AM
47 12