Then the core come from tcl...
    So quality at its best according to this thread
    05-14-17 08:22 PM
    This above was an old article way before KEYone was announced.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/busines...oard-1.3303075

KEYone WAS the last designed phone by BlackBerry engineering and design team. Design only though and put together in China.
    Exactly the same was as iPhone is designed and built.
    TCL had nothing to do with the KEYone except the production, supply chain, marketing and sales.
    They would own quality control however before being shipped out.
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 05-14-17 at 08:42 PM.
    05-14-17 08:31 PM
    That was one of my worries - I never had this issue with my iphone, in fact I had the iphone camera app open at the same time (and for the same time) as I was taking comparison pics.
    For the sake of argument:
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=iphon...bNOcbWateDvMAE

Any device can have manufacturing problems, and many do. That's why you have a warranty, not to mention within the first 14/30 days you should be entitled to a brand new device, in Canada anyway.

Just get it replaced, no reason to waste more time
    05-14-17 08:34 PM
    Isn't it iPhone made by Chinese as well?
    Yes but buy a high end assembly plant, foxconn. The been assembling high end electronics for 20+ years. This is TCL, they build TVs, phones & other stuff that are branded by them & by third party labels. In this case BB is the third party label. The design of the dtek 50 & 60 is a rebranded Alcatel idol 4 & 4S. In the case of the K1 it's a TCL/BB collaboration with TCL being the limiting factor. Don't get me wrong, I still want to see one when it comes out in the US. I just don't expect it to be as high quality as say the passport.
    Alain_A likes this.
    05-14-17 08:38 PM
    Sounds like a hardware issue to me. I would guess that the camera over heated by using the app for the extended period of time (20 minutes). This is where the build quality of TCL rears its ugly head. I run a cellphone and computer repair shop & have seen alot of Chinese manufacturer devices come in with inexplicable failures usually processor issues. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have any heat dispersing copper sheets where they should be. Most devise don't have them but a few need them, this may be a case of such a need.
    You're kidding right? IPhone's are plagued with issues, including cameras not working, home buttons constantly failing, power buttons failing, microphones and speakers failing, and more. Which are issues every single device by any manufacturer ever made can have.

Any phone sold in a first world country has to have some form of warranty, take advantage of that.
    05-14-17 08:38 PM
    You're kidding right? IPhone's are plagued with issues, including cameras not working, home buttons constantly failing, power buttons failing, microphones and speakers failing, and more. Which are issues every single device by any manufacturer ever made can have.

Any phone sold in a first world country has to have some form of warranty, take advantage of that.
    Um, I fix 10 to 15 iPhones a day... Most of the problems are not due to failures, but due to physical damage caused by customers. Believe me I am no proponent of anything Apple. I think they make it crappy product for dimwitted people. I don't mean to offend anybody that's just what I think. They do however have a High build quality standard something I do not expect to come out of TCL. Just the facts.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-14-17 08:41 PM
    This above was an old article way before KEYone was announced.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/busines...oard-1.3303075

KEYone WAS the last designed phone by BlackBerry engineering and design team. Design only though and put together in China.
    Exactly the same was as iPhone is designed and built.
    TCL had nothing to do with the KEYone except the production, supply chain, marketing and sales.
    They would own quality control however e being shipped out.
    TCL actually does have everything to do with the supply chain hence my reservations.
    05-14-17 08:42 PM
    Yes but buy a high end assembly plant, foxconn. The been assembling high end electronics for 20+ years. This is TCL, they build TVs, phones & other stuff that are branded by them & by third party labels. In this case BB is the third party label. The design of the dtek 50 & 60 is a rebranded Alcatel idol 4 & 4S. In the case of the K1 it's a TCL/BB collaboration with TCL being the limiting factor. Don't get me wrong, I still want to see one when it comes out in the US. I just don't expect it to be as high quality as say the passport.
    So was the Priv at Foxconn. What does that tell you?
    05-14-17 08:44 PM
    TCL actually does have everything to do with the supply chain hence my reservations.
    That's what I said. Everything except design.
    05-14-17 08:45 PM
    Um, I fix 10 to 15 iPhones a day... Most of the problems are not due to failures, but due to physical damage caused by customers. Believe me I am no proponent of anything Apple. I think they make it crappy product for dimwitted people. I don't mean to offend anybody that's just what I think. They do however have a High build quality standard something I do not expect to come out of TCL. Just the facts.
    I don't disagree, apple does have good build quality but how exactly do you explain home buttons suddenly failing or microphones failing? It's a simple manufacturer defect, and the parts are all Chinese made to begin with, so I would not put apples components to a higher standard than that of any other large manufacturer.

The design might be better, sure, but have other tcl phones had large scale component problems in the past? My understanding is that they are just usually budget phones, not phones that break all the time.

Not to mention no one, not even the reviewers who normally bash BlackBerry, has had a problem like this one. Seems like a small scale issue for now.
    05-14-17 08:49 PM
    At least I haven't heard of workers throwing themselves off of buildings at TCL, unlike at the Apple Foxconn combo.

But in the end OP, follow your warranty process...

Passport. SQW100-1 OS 10.3.3.2163
    05-14-17 08:50 PM
    So, absolutely everything then except for the initial reference design. TCL, of course, sourced the parts and built the device to their liking.

I still think TCL makes a good phone. The DTEK60 has been my favourite device ever. I also played with a keyone and it's outstanding.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    05-14-17 08:52 PM
    At the end of the day, the user affected doesnt care how many other people with other phones do or do not have issues. They care that the first time they properly use their device, it fails. Who builds it - dont care. Who owns what part of the process - dont care.
    Did it work well or did it fail upon first use - thats something the user will care about.
    FF22 and TGR1 like this.
    05-14-17 08:57 PM
    Any device can have manufacturing problems, and many do. That's why you have a warranty, not to mention within the first 14/30 days you should be entitled to a brand new device, in Canada anyway.

Just get it replaced, no reason to waste more time
    The only concern I have with this is that I bought the phone and then have gone on a business trip for the next 7 weeks, so cannot return the phone to Carphone Warehouse until I return to England. Hopefully they understand this when I call them tomorrow.
    05-14-17 09:01 PM
    So, absolutely everything then except for the initial reference design. TCL, of course, sourced the parts and built the device to their liking.

I still think TCL makes a good phone. The DTEK60 has been my favourite device ever. I also played with a keyone and it's outstanding.
    Yep mostly. They built it to the final design inside and out by BlackBerry.
    Great processor from Qualcomm Same camera as Pixel. (Sony)
    IF there are problems in manufacturing which there is no documented proof of then it would be quality control issues prior to shipping.
    One phone here and there will slip through the cracks same as iPhone. Samsung, Pixel. LG, Motorola
    05-14-17 09:03 PM
    Never looked into that, interesting though. Yes, I had the Priv and it sucked. I blame most issues on the 808 processor and the slider design. Only ever had 3 Privs come in for repair 2 for broken screens & 1 the guy tore off his power button trying to disassemble the phone.
    05-14-17 09:06 PM
    At least I haven't heard of workers throwing themselves off of buildings at TCL, unlike at the Apple Foxconn combo.

But in the end OP, follow your warranty process...

Passport. SQW100-1 OS 10.3.3.2163
    LOL! Yeah, I'm sure there is much less of that there.
    05-14-17 09:08 PM
    OP, did you by any chance drop your phone?
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    05-14-17 09:18 PM
    OP, did you by any chance drop your phone?
    Or pass through the customs of a country that doesn't want you to take pictures, and they "inspected" your phone.
    05-15-17 10:26 PM
    Or pass through the customs of a country that doesn't want you to take pictures, and they "inspected" your phone.
    Actually if your device is an Enterprise Managed Device, your device policy administrators apparantly can disable the camera on your Android cellphone (permanently/temporarily or according to some kind of schedule/ or location). Best to be sure this isn't a possible factor either.

Or simply you have disabled your camera? through the device admin features of your smartphone (don't know if this feature is or is not available on your specific BlackBerry)

For example on BlackBerry 10 (BB10) under [Settings][Security and Privacy][Parental Controls]
    IF you enable Parental Controls, you can disable the Device's Camera Features.
    (Lots of neat stuff there, for parents to reign in, or help simplify the Child's permitted uses for the phone)

Don't know if a misbehaving app could do the same..as there are apps that allow you to do this deliberately ....
    "-caution--->dottech.org/159716/how-to-disable-device-camera-on-android-tip/" <----okay not sure you should go to this site, not sure if it is legit or spreading malware, i visited it and got some wierd stuff after (or it was another site i was on or forum here today somewhere)
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 05-16-17 at 12:49 AM.
    05-15-17 10:44 PM
    This is a common occurrence on low end android firmware made by the relatively well known contract manufacturers such as Gionee, Coolpad, TCL who manufacture labels for brands like Micromax, Panasonic, Xolo in the indian subcontinent and countless other unknown brands in mainland China.

Lowend is the word to focus on. I've experienced this on 2 androids in '13 and '14 and it was to do with poor build quality primarily.

KEYone is all good on the outside but a critical component going bonkers this way seems a deal breaker.
    05-16-17 02:25 AM
    OP, did you contact TCL or BBM? what they say?
    05-16-17 01:54 PM
    ...also another possibility is, another app is "busy" using the camera (like a spy-cam app someone has installed), or another camera related app, so it makes the normal camera app unavailable while something else is using it.
    05-17-17 01:58 AM
    I had this happen last night.

'Camera unavailable' when trying the App directly. Same with instagram and what's App.

Left the phone in my pocket for about 20 Min's and tried again and worked.

Not sure how or why since my usage wasn't even excessive prior to using the camera.

Plan on calling BlackBerry mobile to advise and will share the conversation.
    06-10-17 08:31 AM
    I had this happen last night.

'Camera unavailable' when trying the App directly. Same with instagram and what's App.

Left the phone in my pocket for about 20 Min's and tried again and worked.

Not sure how or why since my usage wasn't even excessive prior to using the camera.

Plan on calling BlackBerry mobile to advise and will share the conversation.
    This just happened to me this morning. Worked before I left for work, it's no longer working. What the hell?
    06-17-17 02:51 PM
65 123