Well I think BlackBerry has to be aware of the fact that they are now playing in the Android world. To do that it just simply mean that they need to compete based on similar specs and price. Having a physical keyboard is great but think of it

1. How many people will pay a premium price for a physical keyboard. If they do

2. How much premium are they willing to pay for the physical keyboard?

The same goes to the security. Frankly, can BlackBerry seriously prove beyond doubt that a BlackBerry phone running on Android is more secure than a Google Pixel? If so does that premium price justify it?
    It's a niche product priced in the middle. It's not Premium and it's not priced as a premium phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 09:14 AM
    Also the problem is that 2016 flagship phones are much more affordable. Recently, Samsung S7 edge was only $450 with 128gb micro sd card directly from Samsung. Keyone must compete with last year flagship and 2017 midrange devices!
    KEYone is not a flagship device - if it was it would be a slab with the highest specs and priced close to 1k. It is a niche product for those that like PKB, re-energize the brand and let people know they are still in business albeit as BlackBerry Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 09:35 AM
    I didn't read through all the responses so I am sure this was already mentioned but the reason some think the price is too high is because obviously you can buy really nice Android phones for cheaper than $549 USD. You must really want a physical keyboard if you want a Keyone (and I do!). Otherwise you can get a OnePlus or Axon 7 or a Moto Z for a lot less money.
    More than just the Keyboard. Increased productivity, very good camera (pixel) , excellent battery life, keyboard shortcuts cuts, HUB+, DTEK, etc.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 10:01 AM
    In fairness, it may cost more per unit to develop and manufacture a KEYone compared to a better spec'd high volume smartphone. It is not all gravy.

Posted via CB10
    No, apparently you just buy a $15 keyboard from Walmart, and snap your fingers, $250 K1.
    03-22-17 10:43 PM
    In the world of smart phones the KEYone is a reasonably priced boutique device.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 11:17 PM
    It just goes to show that BB devices have always been overpriced. The Classic remained outrageously expensive until the very end too.
    I'm in Europe, good luck here with a 600€ price tag. It won't sell, just like the others.
    03-26-17 04:49 PM
    It just goes to show that BB devices have always been overpriced. The Classic remained outrageously expensive until the very end too.
    I'm in Europe, good luck here with a 600€ price tag. It won't sell, just like the others.
    Totally agreed to your point. The only reason BlackBerry failed was because of BlackBerry faults. Even going Android didn't saved BlackBerry handset division.

KeyOne will also have the same fate at that price tag.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 11:29 PM
    It's because you can get other phones with same specs for $300 cheaper now. It all comes down to if the keyboard is worth that much. But android is such a pig that specs really matter.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-17 12:35 AM
    Boycott k1 until the price fall down..let tcl learn their mistake

Posted via CB10
    03-27-17 12:42 AM
    That's amazing! The Classic really holds its value! Since it's no longer sold by BlackBerry, the price is usually determined by market forces, i.e. what people are willing to pay for it. People must really want it.
    03-27-17 01:19 AM
    That's amazing! The Classic really holds its value! Since it's no longer sold by BlackBerry, the price is usually determined by market forces, i.e. what people are willing to pay for it. People must really want it.
    Classic does not hold its value. In my local market of Vancouver, Canada, a used in good shape Classic can be had for $100-$150 CAD. The stock of new Classics is so low that it's of no risk for these suppliers to hold on to the last few and charge 600 euro prices for the fools willing to pay.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-17 01:27 AM
    This thread is hilarious

Either you want to pay for a PKB (Which I do)or you don't and the phone is fine sure someone would have to be a complete out of touch yahoo not to see you can buy similar specced phones significantly cheaper currently; but your perception of "overpriced" has to be relative to your needs lol.

So just as funny as the elitists listing off specs of other companies that offer something cheaper is that people seem to be happy to undermine someone's desires because they see value in something that they do not.

Sheesh!
    03-27-17 01:37 AM
    Classic does not hold its value. In my local market of Vancouver, Canada, a used in good shape Classic can be had for $100-$150 CAD. The stock of new Classics is so low that it's of no risk for these suppliers to hold on to the last few and charge 600 euro prices for the fools willing to pay.
    It's all supply and demand now, so someone must be willing to pay 600 euro for a new one; otherwise the price would drop, as you've seen in the used Classics.
    03-27-17 01:40 AM
    People say that the KeyOne is overpriced because the Motorola G5 comes with better specs (4GB/64GB) and it still costs $200 USD less.
    03-27-17 01:43 AM
    This thread is hilarious

Either you want to pay for a PKB (Which I do)or you don't and the phone is fine sure someone would have to be a complete out of touch yahoo not to see you can buy similar specced phones significantly cheaper currently; but your perception of "overpriced" has to be relative to your needs lol.

So just as funny as the elitists listing off specs of other companies that offer something cheaper is that people seem to be happy to undermine someone's desires because they see value in something that they do not.

Sheesh!
    I wouldn't call them elitists, rather people who are evaluating based on a different set of values. If someone's use case is just for phone calls and txt and they will never use any smartphone features, then would they be considered elitists because they point out that flip phones are so much cheaper and do everything they would want, so why pay more?
    03-27-17 01:45 AM
    Not sure if anybody has mentioned this but keep in mind how BlackBerry has invested into making Android more secure, it's not all hardware. Software plays a role in pricing as well, at least I would think right?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-17 01:49 AM
    I wouldn't call them elitists, rather people who are evaluating based on a different set of values. If someone's use case is just for phone calls and txt and they will never use any smartphone features, then would they be considered elitists because they point out that flip phones are so much cheaper and do everything they would want, so why pay more?
    Ok we can call them something else if you want

Bottom line though is that if someone wants a PKB their "value" of the phone will be skewered in paying the variance between what they should be based on a a current spec checklist price check. (This is without sprinkling in any of the software and security extras that BB includes.)

No issues with someone pointing out the obvious that the specs alone don't justify the price; it just seems that a lot of the posts seem to want to degenerate to ridicule the brand loyalists / PKB toasters for their perception of value; brutal honesty injected with a personal bias towards their own feelings
    03-27-17 01:54 AM
    People say that the KeyOne is overpriced because the Motorola G5 comes with better specs (4GB/64GB) and it still costs $200 USD less.
    Moto G5 still doesn't have a keyboard, BlackBerry's complete software suite and attention to security, and monthly security updates. People will have to evaluate what that's worth to them. It's not the same exact phone, just priced higher.

The Moto G5 comes in two models, 2GB/32GB $229 and 4GB/64GB $299. Is the 4GB/64GB model overpriced? You can get the "same" phone for $229. Oh, but it has more RAM and storage! Yeah, so what? It's the same specs? Or is it? Is the extra RAM and storage worth $70?
    03-27-17 01:59 AM
    Moto G5 still doesn't have a keyboard, BlackBerry's complete software suite and attention to security, and monthly security updates. People will have to evaluate what that's worth to them. It's not the same exact phone, just priced higher.

The Moto G5 comes in two models, 2GB/32GB $229 and 4GB/64GB $299. Is the 4GB/64GB model overpriced? You can get the "same" phone for $229. Oh, but it has more RAM and storage! Yeah, so what? It's the same specs? Or is it? Is the extra RAM and storage worth $70?
    The Moto doesn't have the same specs with regard to storage.

The Moto has 64GB max of fixed storage, with zero expansion. The K1 offers a microSD slot--expand away, keep whatever you want on a REMOVABLE chip that can go with you from phone to phone, or whatever.

And that's up to 2TB of storage.

That alone has immense value, which no one here is talking about or recognizing.
    03-27-17 05:41 AM

You're picking at straws. We're not comparing G5 to G5. Fact is that the G5 is a better phone for nearly 1/2 the price. Keyboard doesn't justify extra $250 USD. Heck, you can buy two G5s for one KeyOne.
    03-27-17 08:44 AM
    Guys, software (hub+ suite) is $0.99 a month. 12.00 a year. 24 in two years. 36 in 3 years. Then you change device. So software is kind of irrelevant here.

Storage (mentioned g5). You know, that even if you move apps to sd card, app itself is still in the phone. Only app data is stored to sd card. But this is meh. 32 is more than enough.

3gb ram is enough, althou it feels that 4gb would be a bit future proof.

Security? Lol. No one cares about that. Jesus Christ, people check in in an airport when just land for holiday, and then are surprised that they been robbed :d

But essentially, if compared with Moto, the only difference is PKB and price.

And we have to pay 200 for the keyboard. A bit a lot.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-17 09:15 AM
    The Moto doesn't have the same specs with regard to storage.

The Moto has 64GB max of fixed storage, with zero expansion. The K1 offers a microSD slot--expand away, keep whatever you want on a REMOVABLE chip that can go with you from phone to phone, or whatever.

And that's up to 2TB of storage.

That alone has immense value, which no one here is talking about or recognizing.
    Some people only see CPU, RAM and storage and declare it's exactly the same phone.

The Moto Z Play is a more comparable comparison, as it does have the memory slot expandable to 2TB, but it's also $400 USD (on sale) and typically $450 USD, which puts it closer in price to the KEYone. We've seen many times that add-on keyboards (Kickstarter for the Moto Z Play, if it happens, and Typo for iPhone's) are priced around $100 USD (a price people are wiling to pay), which makes $550 USD for the KEYone pretty reasonable, even if you discount BlackBerry's software suite and security measures.
    murphy_thom likes this.
    03-27-17 12:28 PM
    You're picking at straws. We're not comparing G5 to G5. Fact is that the G5 is a better phone for nearly 1/2 the price. Keyboard doesn't justify extra $250 USD. Heck, you can buy two G5s for one KeyOne.
    The G5's are compared to understand the mindset of "overpriced". It's a situation where you're getting the exact same hardware which only differs in RAM and storage. Why isn't the expanded G5 considered overpriced? Either the extra RAM and storage is worth the money to the user or it's not. It's the same for physical keyboard, BlackBerry's software suite and security focus. It's either worth it for the user or not. If it is, then having two G5's won't matter. Two G5's will never equate to having a physical keyboard, if that's what's desired.
    03-27-17 12:39 PM
    Boycott k1 until the price fall down..let tcl learn their mistake

Posted via CB10
    Not me. I'm thrilled they are making it and happy with the features/value.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-27-17 02:38 PM
    He meant KEYone for 600€ won't be bought by many.
    03-27-17 04:01 PM
520 ... 1516171819 ...