Well blackberry Priv was launched at hefty price tag of $750 while keyone is $549. And compared to keyone, priv is low on specifications. Also blackberry q10 was launched at price greater that $600-650. While keyone is a champ when compared to q10.
    03-04-17 01:38 AM
    I don't think the price is too high. I need PKB so as far as new phones go, this is the only choice I have and from early looks I'll be pretty happy with my choice.

I think people who complain on price are comparing the KEYone to phones of TODAY, not of tomorrow. That makes sense, except they're not making a fair comparison IMO.
    03-04-17 02:37 AM
    The complaint is that based on the specs and hardware it should be lower.

The other side can be that there is no other keyboard phone like this out there some will say it's simply price gouging or take advantage of a niche market.

Personally the 549 doesn't bother me I will end ip spending a lot more since I live in Asia

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 02:53 AM
    KEYone is priced agressively . I am a PKB fan have I am pretty pleased with current offering by TCL/Blackberry. KEYone offers better specs than the Priv at a affordable price IMHO.
    03-04-17 03:00 AM
    Key1 will supposedly be $799 in Australia. That sounds about right in our market, and some of our press has commented likewise.

The priv was over $1,100 on launch here - that wasn't right for our market.
    03-04-17 03:09 AM
    I based it on the hardware from the dtek50 and dtek60 and compare it and seems BlackBerry asking 100 dollar/euro for the software and I'm fine with this paying 5 dollar for security and update's with a phone I use almost 2 years. The KEYone is comparing with the dtek series almost 3 times. The price for the software with smaller screen but with keyboard. Still it's fine to ask some extra money for it.

Still then I expected the device coming in april/may more in the price of around 475 euro and not 600 euro. This is a big gap and let's say that TLC must pay some license the phone should be 529,00 at max.

I understand the flagship price to be in the league for high end devices, it just marketing and so is it overpriced. Yes comparing prices dtek series but rethinking keyboard and TLC it still overpriced by an average of 100 dollar/euro.

Device with better specs and same chipset, processor and alminiun frame will come around in april for around 329 euro like the moto and samsung. So I think they will drop the price by launch to the max and this will be 529,00 with a nice desk charget to make it more exclusieve in a nice box.

Still I will buy it if it has a nice package deal.

Posted via CB10
    Alan Wei likes this.
    03-04-17 03:24 AM
    Because it is..
    $700.00 something cdn...no way
    03-04-17 03:45 AM
    Everyone seems to mention hardware to compare pricing, yet only focus in on the SoC, ram and gpu. People need to realize that those are the massed produce components that are usually the cheaper components. The case and pkb is HARDWARE. If you want to compare "hardware", you need to list things like the space bar with the finger print scanner...how many phones have that?
    03-04-17 03:48 AM
    Everyone seems to mention hardware to compare pricing, yet only focus in on the SoC, ram and gpu. People need to realize that those are the massed produce components that are usually the cheaper components. The case and pkb is HARDWARE. If you want to compare "hardware", you need to list things like the space bar with the finger print scanner...how many phones have that?
    Wow dude you are right oh wait I'm never going to use that....

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 03:50 AM
    Well, 549$ are about 517€ right now, but TCL is charging 599€ for the KeyOne. I don't really understand why this kind of change is being done (it also happens with other products like Apple's), but for me there is a big difference between about 520€ and almost 600€.

I hope they bundle some accessories like they did with the Passport SE so I have an excuse to spend all that money...
    Alan Wei likes this.
    03-04-17 03:52 AM
    Well blackberry Priv was launched at hefty price tag of $750 while keyone is $549. And compared to keyone, priv is low on specifications. Also blackberry q10 was launched at price greater that $600-650. While keyone is a champ when compared to q10.
    Because in the market I live (UK) - it's overpriced. £500 puts it in low end of the premium bracket - its not a premium device.

You are going to response "keyboard!" - the market data says the price premium that consumers/enterprises put on keyboards is ZERO or actually it could be a negative needing a price reduction.

You might then move onto "security!" - the market data says the price premium that consumers put on this is ZERO - as enterprises are happy with iphones, samsung etc - they also put ZERO on the addition of Blackberry's implementation over what is already on the market and clear 'good enough'.
    03-04-17 04:19 AM
    Bb always try the best to make lower price for pkb device,after priv 700usd,keyone 549 usd,i hope next pkb below 400usd...people must buy keyone to make next pkb be lower price

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 04:48 AM
    Cause they are spec warriors and battles always start with CPU.

I mean if you are running virtual machine you want best possible CPU anyway so it makes sense for spec warriors to ask the best possible CPU
    03-04-17 05:02 AM
    I would buy the KEYone in a heartbeat at that price if it would have offered an amoled screen with the same resolution and 4gb of RAM, i'm okay with the mid-range cpu.

Amoled panels just give so much better SoT when keeping the ui dark, if they use battery life as one of the main selling points then they should also emphasise it when choosing all the components.
    0suneel0 and Dave Knight2 like this.
    03-04-17 05:22 AM
    Because BlackBerry is not Apple, and this device is not a Samsung s7 or 8 or similar devices. The only reason to sell keyone at this price is because your target is not to sell a lot of devices but only for specific people, unless who manage the this business is stupid and want to loose money.
    iamci, sidtek50 and Dave Knight2 like this.
    03-04-17 05:28 AM
    Because they got no money. ^^
    wincyUt and Ingear like this.
    03-04-17 05:32 AM
    I think it's well priced considering it is a flagship device, well below 200 USD for any other flagship just announced or to be.
    03-04-17 05:35 AM
    I think $549 is a fine price for this phone. The Nexus phones carried these same price tags and no one seemed to complain.

Here's the thing, people think $549 is a high price to pay for this phone because it has a 600 series SoC and 3 gigs of ram. But phones like the S7, LG V20, etc cost $800-1000 unlocked with the top end specs everyone is looking for.

I've mentioned this in threads before, the premium price is tied a lot to the keyboard. Think about it ... You've got 30+ individual keys working in unison as a track pad .. Plus an imbedded fingerprint scanner in the spacebar. There's definitely extra engineering and manufacturing costs associated with doing that.

If this phone didn't have a keyboard, it would be $399 annnnnnd you'd have a Dtek50.
    03-04-17 05:39 AM
    Well, 549$ are about 517€ right now, but TCL is charging 599€ for the KeyOne. I don't really understand why this kind of change is being done (it also happens with other products like Apple's), but for me there is a big difference between about 520€ and almost 600€.

I hope they bundle some accessories like they did with the Passport SE so I have an excuse to spend all that money...
    549$ is in us&a where prices are without vat and in europe prices are with vat.
    So in the end, prices actually about right.

However, it does not change the subject that it is just too expensive.
    All androids are the same and do the same. Then the benchmark for price is just about the specs. And the same specs but no pkb is about half the price.

Then I always ask myself: 200+ for keyboard?!

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 05:44 AM
    I think it's well priced considering it is a flagship device, well below 200 USD for any other flagship just announced or to be.
    Only is is actually no where near flagship.

I mean, yeah, you can have ford focus and say it is flagship. But you know, it's not near bmw m5

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 05:47 AM
    The KEYone is priced in the ball park of where I thought it would be priced. KEYone is not for the masses - it's a niche product for those that still see the value in having a PKB. This is a product that if marketed properly will let everyone know BlackBerry / BlackBerry Mobile is still making devices but now running on android. One look and there is no denying this is a BlackBerry / BlackBerry Mobile device. BlackBerry Mobile can then follow up with slabs that the masses want with both high end and low end specs to fit everyone's needs. This is the first phone of the new partnership and it looks to be a great phone and a good step in moving the partnership forward.

In addition, the masses don't care about nor do they know the difference between one chip or another. The mass market is more concerned about the ecosystem/ apps and a decent camera to take pictures of their kids to post on Facebook and Instagram. The mass consumer market will buy what they are told to buy via marketing by Apple/ Samsung or what phones a rep tells them to buy in a store. The majority of consumers don't know the specs in their phone and don't know the real cost since they finance it on a monthly basis. When it's paid off they buy the next shiny new device they are told to buy.

My two teenagers have Android phones. I have no idea what processor is in the phone with 16G ram. They are able to do everything they need it do. Communicate via the apps they use / watch videos / play games etc. My 22 year old daughter has a 4 year old I phone and does everything she needs it do - apps / videos / music etc. She wants to upgrade and has asked for a IPhone 6 or 7 when she graduates college since hers is getting tired. I'm still rocking the Z10 and except for the app gap and poor battery it's a workhorse. I've gotten used to the 1/2 baked apps and poor battery but it's time to move on. I plan on buying this phone and I'm hoping it's a workhorse like the Z10 with a much better battery and real apps that work with the ecosystem.

I don't think this phone is priced high - it's where I thought it would be. It is priced on the high end of the mid range phones on the market considering phones with minimal upgraded specs are pushing $1,000 US. This phone is not for everyone and it is wasn't built to be for everyone. It looks to be a great phone for those of us that still want a PKB with components optimized for the phone with a great camera and great battery.

Posted via CB10
    deltact, zensen, Jrox74 and 4 others like this.
    03-04-17 05:49 AM
    Here we go again.

OP, don't you bring everyone in here for another round. The topic has been beaten to pulp in the other tens of threads. We have been discussing this, with lots of emotion and sometimes throwing adjectives at one another. Let us rest for a while. I am sure we will start again but better not too soon.

Posted from my  Passport
    03-04-17 06:22 AM
    Once you try the KEYone you will you conclude that the price is reasonable for the quality and functionality of device your getting. I can't wait to have it in my hands again after launch event.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-04-17 06:44 AM
    Why the keyboard was too expensive...bb try to get back the profit for company..i dont want to be stupid buying that phone except it falling below 400usd,maybe this december

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 07:04 AM
    People just like to complain about something, anything!

If the phone was $459 they'd complain that the screen is not AMOLED or that they can get a One Plus with more RAM or that.............

The same tantrums happen with every phone except Apple and Samsung. For some odd reason those 2 companies can get away with doing and charging whatever they want.

Look at the Google Pixel forums over on AC.. Man o man it makes you shake your head @ the tantrums over Google charging a flagship price for a flagship phone..

Meh... Let the haters hate, the complainers complain and the tantrums happen.. I view those types of posts as comic relief and in a twisted kind of way, enjoy reading them..

Me? I think it's fairly priced and will be ordering day one!
    DJBS4LIFE, Jrox74 and wincyUt like this.
    03-04-17 07:21 AM
520 123 ...