Well I think BlackBerry has to be aware of the fact that they are now playing in the Android world. To do that it just simply mean that they need to compete based on similar specs and price. Having a physical keyboard is great but think of it

1. How many people will pay a premium price for a physical keyboard. If they do

2. How much premium are they willing to pay for the physical keyboard?

The same goes to the security. Frankly, can BlackBerry seriously prove beyond doubt that a BlackBerry phone running on Android is more secure than a Google Pixel? If so does that premium price justify it?
    03-06-17 10:40 AM
    Well I think BlackBerry has to be aware of the fact that they are now playing in the Android world. To do that it just simply mean that they need to compete based on similar specs and price. Having a physical keyboard is great but think of it

The same goes to the security. Frankly, can BlackBerry seriously prove beyond doubt that a BlackBerry phone running on Android is more secure than a Google Pixel? If so does that premium price justify it?
    Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it.. If a PKB and the BB special sauce do not matter to them then do not buy it and move along to something else..

It's a simple, drama free and effective solution...
    03-06-17 10:58 AM
    Then don't buy the KEYone.

Keep in mind
    Way to not read the context of the message

Posted via CB10
    03-06-17 11:56 AM
    PRIV was released almost top spec for that time (808 was ALMOST best and newest... 810 was newer)
    KEYone is just average in all cases
    The KEYone is not priced as top or almost top spec. If it was, it would be $750 USD, not $550. The Z Play is $400 USD. Some people have said that the keyboard is only worth a $100 premium to them. The KEYone is $50 over that and given the volume it may sell at compared to the Z Play, it's the added cost of lower economy of scale. Price gouging customers? Not.

Further, for some people, it's worth $50 for two years worth of monthly updates. Does the Z Play offer that? For sure, the BB10 users would pay that.
    03-06-17 01:19 PM
    I have concluded that there must be a huge aftermarket for people disassembling phones and selling off the processors and RAM. That's the only justification I can see for some posters' obsession with those commodities in deciding what the right price for a smartphone should be.

Kind of like people complaining about the price of Sudafed at Walmart because they want to buy it as a component of illegal drugs. LOL

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-06-17 01:40 PM
    But I require almost no apps on my phone to do my job, which is why app compatibility has never been a concern for me. When I say, "productivity" I mean a combination of uptime, speed and ease of creating and editing text-based communications, file management and organization, including multiple cloud services, and segregation of email, calendar, tasks, contacts and notes across 3-5 organizations.
    I wish apps weren't concern for me. If so, I would never ever think about "upgrading" my old Passport to any Android phone.
    03-06-17 01:58 PM
    I wish apps weren't concern for me. If so, I would never ever think about "upgrading" my old Passport to any Android phone.
    I'm genuinely happy with Android M/N for a media/web browsing appliance, in a tablet format. I'm just skeptical that it will be as good of a daily driver for work on a phone.

03-06-17 02:21 PM
    I'm genuinely happy with Android M/N for a media/web browsing appliance, in a tablet format. I'm just skeptical that it will be as good of a daily driver for work on a phone.

This is all about the learning curve. I find iOS slow and difficult because I seldom use that platform. I would say that I am as proficient on Android as I was on BB10 . It will take time.

There are those here who claim that they are much more proficient on a BBOS 9900 and yet you could hand the same phone to a neophyte and they would be lucky to send an email.

The advertised short cuts available on the KEYone should gladden the hearts of current BlackBerry power users.
    03-06-17 03:31 PM
    I don't think that's the economic issue...the issue is that people are willing to pay a premium for Apple and Samsung but not for a tarnished brand like Blackberry.

Maybe one day, Blackberry can command a $50, $100, $200 premium for its phones again, but as of today, it seems to me that for the mass market that can get a Motorola Z Play with the exact same specs for $399, they will make an economic decision to do so over the KEYone and that the KEYone will only appeal to a very small, niche segment at the $549 price.
    That is exactly the issue. This phone isn't for the masses that want a slab that takes decent photos to post on Facebook or Snap Chat.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-17 03:32 PM
    I agree with this statement but I hate that this is the truth. Why settle for 1% just because that's the current market? I think physical keyboard phones have the potential to over take market share again. Most people I speak to are always fed up with their touch screens and auto correct. Why sit there and say, "oh whatever this is a niche group". Yes, that is currently true, but why not show the rest of the smartphone market why a physical keyboard is superior and not just a niche alternative? Costs, yes, I get it. But I think a PKB device has the potential to put a dent in the Apple/Samsung monopoly.
    Never happen. The younger demo has never used a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-17 03:45 PM
    To a spec warrior that couldn't care less about actual in hands use? No it is not...

$549 is not a bad price for a mid-high end device.. Wait and see what the S8 and iPhone 8 will cost.. What makes them high end? Because they have a better processor? Better to whom? A gamer?

What makes the KEYone not worth $549 to a spec warrior?

The processor? You realize who this device is marked for right? A SD 820, 821 or 835 is NOT intended for device like this..

3GB of RAM? Explain why you need more on a device like this and for this devices intended purpose

LCD screen? Some want AMOLED but to me it's cartoon'ish and LCD has it's benefits over AMOLED
    Well written

Posted via CB10
    03-06-17 03:49 PM
    How would you define younger demo? I believe I'm within those parameters, so I disagree. I can tell you in my high school days, which wasn't too long ago, everybody had a blackberry and used a physical keyboard. The majority of people I speak to that are within my age category and are becoming fed up with their touch screens are people within the 20-25 years old range.
    03-06-17 03:55 PM
    KEYone.DAYone ... our new slogan while we wait
    03-06-17 04:18 PM
    This is all about the learning curve. I find iOS slow and difficult because I seldom use that platform. I would say that I am as proficient on Android as I was on BB10 . It will take time.

There are those here who claim that they are much more proficient on a BBOS 9900 and yet you could hand the same phone to a neophyte and they would be lucky to send an email.

The advertised short cuts available on the KEYone should gladden the hearts of current BlackBerry power users.
    Sorry. I cannot agree with the "whatever you're used to is most efficient" platitudes. OS work lows are designed around "use cases" or "user scripts" and they differ from each other in significant ways that have nothing to do with the user's skill nor knowledge.

For example, iOS is frustrating for Web browsing due to their insistence on WebKit because of numerous missing features that were left out to keep it simple or to support Apple's business model.

It's so llocked down as to be almost unusable., IMO. Apple doesn't really mind because they would prefer you use apps instead of the browser.

You can use other browsers, but they still run on WebKit, so that is of limited benefit.

03-06-17 05:14 PM
    I feel that the price partly targets the enterprise market, to go after former BlackBerry users who jumped platform (mostly to iOS in my industry) for the apps but who miss the keyboard. The price is likely to put it in the "free" phone category, where the service provider swallows the subsidy. If a service provider offers a $X subsidy over two years, it would only seem to make sense to charge $X because the end user doesn't benefit from a lower price. I don't think there are too many crazy people like me in the enterprise space who bring their own phones because the corporate offerings are substandard.

Of course, my industry may not be at all representative of the entire enterprise market.

Posted via CB10 on my Passport
    03-06-17 07:03 PM
    I feel that the price partly targets the enterprise market, to go after former BlackBerry users who jumped platform (mostly to iOS in my industry) for the apps but who miss the keyboard. The price is likely to put it in the "free" phone category, where the service provider swallows the subsidy.
    I don't know how enterprise pricing works on devices, but it is interesting that Microsoft released their "enterprise" friendly device (lumia 650) at a super cheap price....it costs $200 Cdn. BB Mobile does the same (on a better device of course) for almost 4 times that. It's an interesting difference in strategy.
    03-06-17 08:12 PM
    I don't know how enterprise pricing works on devices, but it is interesting that Microsoft released their "enterprise" friendly device (lumia 650) at a super cheap price....it costs $200 Cdn. BB Mobile does the same (on a better device of course) for almost 4 times that. It's an interesting difference in strategy.
    I have a 650 DS as a back up device and I have to say that its build quality doesn't even come close to anything I've come across in BlackBerry's range in the last 7 years, even the cheap(er) Z3 or latter Curve models weren't built as crudely. It's light as a feather and the back is so flimsy that it feels like it's going to tear apart when you peel it back to access the SIM and SD slots. It even breaks apart really easy when you drop it on carpet. If this thing was engineered for Enterprise then I'd have to say it's a massive fail.

From a performance point of view it's OK, nothing special but I knew it wouldn't be when I saw the specs before I bought it, but for basic use it's OK. The keyboard absolutely SUCKS and is useless for anything more than a quick text, it's so awkward to use lacks any intuitiveness.

I paid $99 (CDN) for mine in the Black Friday sale and I'd say that's about right for the device. An Enterprise device it is not, but I would recommend it to anyone as a starter smartphone or basic light-use back-up device.

Like they say; you get what you pay for.
    03-06-17 08:40 PM

If I really needed a PKB, I would not hesitate. This is a need rather than a want.

As an aside, the new Indonesian BlackBerry looks more like a BlackBerry than the DTEK. BlackBerry Mobile should take note.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 01:14 AM
    Because there are people on these forums that will complain about price unless they offer a super premium device at $199 USD with specs from devices in the year 2020.

Posted via CB10
    raqball likes this.
    03-07-17 02:09 AM
    Because there are people on these forums that will complain about price unless they offer a super premium device at $199 USD with specs from devices in the year 2020.

Posted via CB10
    Most of people think for the specs and to put back the dead blackberry brand on the map again 399$ or 449$would have been great.
    Moto z is similar specs but make the list of all other models with higher specs and better price and you can see it is overpriced.
    Reps who sell phone will never push for k1, qty will be limited and most people want a full screen as they did since 2009...
    Apple and Samsung have enterprise secured servers as well now...
    03-07-17 05:05 AM
    My local Bell store has not had any working BlackBerry models since possibly the Q10. Just unloved dummy models.

This store is a franchisee mall kiosk. If they carry a working model then I will know that this time , things are different.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 07:59 AM
    New flagship from Huawei P10 is now out in Europe for 599 euros with real flagship specs...
    iUser likes this.
    03-07-17 09:18 AM
    Prices for S8 799€ and S8+899€ !! Now that is over the top expensive! And then you might have to return it! KEYone a bargain that soon all will know!
    03-07-17 11:00 AM
    With all due respect, this is plain silly... you think that someone conscious about how to spend their hard earned money is, and I quote, a "broke a$$"? I see people that can barely make it to the end of the month with the latest phone or shoes... throwing your money away isn't a sign of wealth but of a lack of character...
    That's the very reason I think a distinction needs to be made between overpriced and too expensive. If someone can't afford it, that's understandable. It is expensive.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 11:10 AM
    Prices for S8 799€ and S8+899€ !! Now that is over the top expensive! And then you might have to return it! KEYone a bargain that soon all will know!
    Yeah $860 for the S8 and $960 for the S8+..... WOW, now that is pure insanity! And for that amount of $$$$ you get bloat, bloat, a little more bloat, toss some crapware in for good measure and dabble a ton of duplicate Google features on top.... YIKES!

Oh but wait... Spec warriors will be happy it has a faster processor so they can open an app .00007 seconds faster...

And the KEYone is overpriced @ $549 according to the haters? HAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHA
    Rico4you and murphy_thom like this.
    03-07-17 11:34 AM
520 ... 7891011 ...