Hi folks,

So last night I decided to transfer about 10GB worth of music and about 50GB of video content from my computer to my memory card. There is a default music player called Google Play Music, which works fine for streaming and downloading music (I got those features for free by subscribing to YouTube Red), but when it comes to handling my music library it is just a complete mess. I've downloaded and tried better music players, but I don't want to use two different apps for my music.

Then there is the matter of videos. There is simply no default player for that (EDIT: I just found out that the Photo app handles that, albeit extremely poorly). It only has Google Play Movies, but that app won't play your stored video content, it will only let you buy movies. So I downloaded VLC for that purpose (it's free and accepts all types of media formats), but that app isn't exactly 'polished' either...

I don't understand why Google hasn't made one media app for both music and videos... Not to mention a basic file manager... And don't even get me started on the default Google Photo app. It has potential, but it is far too messy. For example, if I want to see photos I shot (and synchronised with Google) with my old phone on the K1, I have to scroll through all kinds of weird folders, whereas those photos _should_ simply be under the Camera folder on the new phone as well.

I realise these are Android annoyances, but considering all the years they have had to improve the OS, I honestly don't see that many improvements (I've used many Android phones in the past). Well, at least it is less buggy now, that's something...

EDIT: I just found out that there is a folder in the Photo app that will play _some_ of the videos I transferred. It wasn't exactly easy or intuitive to find (just like everything else in that messy app).

Except for third party apps, I think most things were better on BB10 to be honest. Including the keyboard in some regards (compared to the Passport, and probably the Classic as well, although I never tried it). This keyboard is a tad too cramped for my taste (I wouldn't mind a slightly wider device) and some of the keys have started to make an annoying creaking sound. The keyboard definitely has its advantages, though, and I find it much better than the one on the old Q10.

Sorry about starting to rant away like that, it's just that I had such high hopes for this phone and frankly I'm a bit disappointed. Overall, I am actually very happy with it, I just think my expectations were unrealistically high. There is simply no other phone on the market that can rival the K1. The mere fact that the keyboard can handle three languages at the same time with such ease is reason enough for me personally to love it. No all-touchscreen phone can handle three languages at the same time as well as the K1. Believe me, I've tried. In that regard the K1's keyboard is actually even better than the Passport's. I also love the Ctrl function.

Again, sorry about the long-winded rant. Have a nice weekend guys!
    06-23-17 05:05 PM
    So last night I decided to transfer about 10GB worth of music and about 50GB of video content from my computer to my memory card. There is a default music player called Google Play Music, which works fine for streaming and downloading music (I got those features for free by subscribing to YouTube Red), but when it comes to handling my music library it is just a complete mess. I've downloaded and tried better music players, but I don't want to use two different apps for my music.
    Define "complete mess". Are you the type who has a strict structure/tagging policy for your files? Are they already uploaded to your Google Play Music cloud storage or are they just on the SD?

I don't understand why Google hasn't made one media app for both music and videos... Not to mention a basic file manager... And don't even get me started on the default Google Photo app. It has potential, but it is far too messy. For example, if I want to see photos I shot (and synchronised with Google) with my old phone on the K1, I have to scroll through all kinds of weird folders, whereas those photos _should_ simply be under the Camera folder on the new phone as well.
    What was your old phone? It might matter.
    06-23-17 05:13 PM
    Define "complete mess". Are you the type who has a strict structure/tagging policy for your files? Are they already uploaded to your Google Play Music cloud storage or are they just on the SD?
    It's a mess in the way that all artists have the same cover and under 'albums' there is only one folder. There is no structure there whatsoever.

They are on the memory card. How do I upload them to Google Play Music cloud storage?

What was your old phone? It might matter.
    The last one I used was the DTEK50.
    06-23-17 05:41 PM
    It's a mess in the way that all artists have the same cover and under 'albums' there is only one folder. There is no structure there whatsoever.

They are on the memory card. How do I upload them to Google Play Music cloud storage?
    On a computer: https://support.google.com/googlepla.../1075570?hl=en

I think it's the structural problems. My music files are all in artist folders and album subfolders, no issues with Play Music. They also have proper ID3 tags.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    06-23-17 05:58 PM
    Be sure your files have the proper meta data, that is where the Artist/Album/Title/etc comes from.

Once you upload them to Google, it should be able to sort them out for you if they aren't tagged correctly.

After you have them uploaded, you are able select what music you want downloaded to the device so that you don't have to stream them and use data.
    06-23-17 06:21 PM
    On a computer: https://support.google.com/googlepla.../1075570?hl=en

I think it's the structural problems. My music files are all in artist folders and album subfolders, no issues with Play Music. They also have proper ID3 tags.
    Thank you so much for the help. I'm in the process of uploading all the songs now. What do I do once they have been uploaded? Do I need to erase the songs from the memory card and download them from Google? I want all my music to be stored on the device (memory card) itself.
    06-23-17 06:45 PM
    Thank you so much for the help. I'm in the process of uploading all the songs now. What do I do once they have been uploaded? Do I need to erase the songs from the memory card and download them from Google? I want all my music to be stored on the device (memory card) itself.
    What I do is when I'm done tagging an addition to my library, I copy the files to both the SD card on my phone and the folder I told the Play Music manager app (Windows) to monitor for uploads. That way, the music files on the SD card appear in Play Music as local copies of the files on the cloud, and I can access them when the "Downloaded Only" switch is on.

Why no default Android media player?-oztibat.jpg
    laketrout73 likes this.
    06-23-17 06:52 PM
    What I do is when I'm done tagging an addition to my library, I copy the files to both the SD card on my phone and the folder I told the Play Music manager app (Windows) to monitor for uploads. That way, the music files on the SD card appear in Play Music as local copies of the files on the cloud, and I can access them when the "Downloaded Only" switch is on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OZtIbAT.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	425836
    Thanks for the suggestion, mate. My music finally got uploaded. What I'm doing now is deleting all the music from my SD card (I have everything on an external HD) then redownloading it onto the SD card again using Google's Music Manager app on my Mac. Hopefully the songs will have gotten tagged properly now.

Cheers
    06-23-17 08:42 PM
    There are other music player options as well, like VLC player. I found that putting Google Music to download only works well enough for me though. Just wanted to highlight that suggestion.
    06-23-17 09:39 PM
    I've been using Phonograph and it's an excellent simple music player so far. if you set the theme and the primary color to both black, it almost reminds me of the BB10 music player.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eid.gramophone
    llrenta likes this.
    06-23-17 10:20 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, mate. My music finally got uploaded. What I'm doing now is deleting all the music from my SD card (I have everything on an external HD) then redownloading it onto the SD card again using Google's Music Manager app on my Mac. Hopefully the songs will have gotten tagged properly now.

Cheers
    I'd still recommend taking the time to tag things manually. I use Mp3tag on Windows, and there's somewhat of a Mac version, but there's other tagging programs out there.
    06-23-17 10:22 PM
    Thank you, thurask, but the way I did it worked out perfectly Thanks again for your help.
    06-24-17 12:49 AM
    Be sure your files have the proper meta data, that is where the Artist/Album/Title/etc comes from.

Once you upload them to Google, it should be able to sort them out for you if they aren't tagged correctly.

After you have them uploaded, you are able select what music you want downloaded to the device so that you don't have to stream them and use data.
    Let me think. So we have music on an SD card. Than we upload to google first. Then we download from google the same music to the same SD card. And than we can play the music from the SD card.

Now this really makes sense indeed. Albeit only for google.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-17 01:58 PM
    Let me think. So we have music on an SD card. Than we upload to google first. Then we download from google the same music to the same SD card. And than we can play the music from the SD card.

Now this really makes sense indeed. Albeit only for google.

Posted via CB10
    1. Tag your music properly
    2. There is no need for a step 2
    06-24-17 02:16 PM
    Also, the music can still be played of course, it's just that it won't have the proper album covers and such due to the lack of ID3 tagging, as thurask pointed out.
    06-24-17 02:22 PM