I know, I know. There are probably a billion threads like this that I haven't seen. But seriously, BB10 diehards won't buy the KEYone because it runs Android. The OS is basically just software. Why can't it be an option to have BB10 loaded on the phone? It could have an extra price so BB gets the money they want to keep developing BB10, and sales would be higher for basically free. Win-win.
    DonHB likes this.
    05-22-17 12:44 PM
    Because BB10 is near being rendered obsolete and next to nobody would buy it.
    mbirth, Bsbudd, dollface and 3 others like this.
    05-22-17 12:50 PM
    All development on BB10 has ended - the devs have been laid off or reassigned. Furthermore, BlackBerry would have to pay royalties to bring the OS to the K1.
    psychofox13 and jmr1015 like this.
    05-22-17 12:58 PM
    Developing an OS for new hardware is not "just" software, and there is next to zero market for BB10 in 2017.

There will be no new hardware options for BB10 and BB10 is now part of history.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-22-17 01:00 PM
    Keeping development for BB10, went out the door about two years ago.....

I think even most diehards have come to terms that BB10 is over.
    ajwan, joseanmx and 85_305 like this.
    05-22-17 01:02 PM
    True story. After switching from bb10 I could not believe how outdated everything on that OS was.
    05-22-17 01:30 PM
    For the same reasons as no Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Pontiac or Mercury.
    jmr1015, glwerry and Plazmic Flame like this.
    05-22-17 01:38 PM
    (Tiny number of remaining diehards) x (what they would actually pay for this) < (cost of reconstituting a BB10 team that is long gone)
    05-22-17 01:46 PM
    Why can't it be an option to have BB10 loaded on the phone?
    A few reasons.
    But seriously, BB10 diehards won't buy the KEYone because it runs Android.

The OS is basically just software.
    Software mostly developed by now former employees, which hasn't seen much attention in years, and is having some issues right now. You might have noticed that underneath, most BB10 devices were the same old Snapdragon S4; this is good for saving development costs since the platforms are identical, but to put it on the KEYone requires development time and effort that the OS doesn't deserve.

It could have an extra price so BB gets the money they want to keep developing BB10, and sales would be higher for basically free.
    The money required to resume development of BB10 (i.e. re-hire all of these people), plus assuming that a limited production run of a limited production run can cover it, means that unless each BB10 KEYone purchase requires mortgaging one's house, it won't happen.

Win-win.
    Nobody wins. BB's board of directors get arrested for possession of the drugs necessary to implement this plan, and the last few BB10 users remain in Plato's cave.
    05-22-17 01:51 PM
    Keeping development for BB10, went out the door about two years ago.....

I think even most diehards have come to terms that BB10 is over.
    Yup. I am a diehard. But I'm a realist, I am not blinded to facts. KEYone will be my next phone.

Posted with my  Classic
    05-22-17 02:44 PM
    I know, I know. There are probably a billion threads like this that I haven't seen. But seriously, BB10 diehards won't buy the KEYone because it runs Android. The OS is basically just software. Why can't it be an option to have BB10 loaded on the phone? It could have an extra price so BB gets the money they want to keep developing BB10, and sales would be higher for basically free. Win-win.
    Because almost no one cares about BlackBerry 10.
    jmr1015 and krzyabn like this.
    05-22-17 02:49 PM
    The problem with BB10 is that it could never be successful OS with out an app catalog. Using android ports was not a solution.

BlackBerry survived several years with this crippled OS but they just barely avoided bankruptcy during those years.

Now, they are in a better financial situation in that they are no longer manufacturing phones. They offered the BB10 OS to be licensed by other phone manufacturers... but no one took that deal.

So, in a nutshell, this is why there will not be any BB10 phones going forward.
    Plazmic Flame and The Chosen like this.
    05-22-17 03:08 PM
    True story. After switching from bb10 I could not believe how outdated everything on that OS was.
    Really?.
    I find almost everything better on BB10 than on Android. Android is almost the same internally since the very begining. Layer after Layer of crap. That's why Google is planning to kill it in the near future.
    BB10 was too late too few, but is a better OS than Android.

Posted via CB10
    joseanmx, Asvertus and andy957 like this.
    05-22-17 03:15 PM
    That's why Google is planning to kill it in the near future.
    [citation needed]
    mbirth likes this.
    05-22-17 03:26 PM
    [citation needed]

Also: Betamax was better than VHS … but we've seen how that turned out.
    andy957 likes this.
    05-22-17 04:01 PM
    Well in truth BB should never have made BB10. It was a ton of resources flushed down the toilet. They should have ported into android a long time ago.

Having said that, BB10 is a vastly superior OS to android. Android is kinda like MS windows, a bloated mess that just slows down over time with all manner of fragmented data and apps running amok that requires herculean processing power and huge memory to overcome.

I'm going to stick to BB10 for as long as I can. I don't need android, I don't like android and I hope I will never use android.
    DaveyGG and andy957 like this.
    05-22-17 04:50 PM
    Android is kinda like MS windows, a bloated mess that just slows down over time with all manner of fragmented data and apps running amok that requires herculean processing power and huge memory to overcome.

Autoloaders for BlackBerry Android and BB10 are the same size.

Nor does Android slow down over time if one simply manages the app cache - one button to press once a week or so.

You may have a preference, and there is nothing wrong with that, but your facts are incorrect.
    05-22-17 04:56 PM
    Autoloaders for BlackBerry Android and BB10 are the same size.

Nor does Android slow down over time if one simply manages the app cache - one button to press once a week or so.

You may have a preference, and there is nothing wrong with that, but your facts are incorrect.
    My own experiences are enough facts for me. I had both types of phones and I know which is better. The DTEK50 got slow within weeks.
    andy957 and nhatanh181 like this.
    05-22-17 05:08 PM
    My own experiences are enough facts for me. I had both types of phones and I know which is better. The DTEK50 got slow within weeks.
    As I said, it won't if you manage your storage cache. I have several DTEK50s as well - every bit as fast as the first day.
    dollface likes this.
    05-22-17 05:10 PM
    Really?.
    I find almost everything better on BB10 than on Android. Android is almost the same internally since the very begining. Layer after Layer of crap. That's why Google is planning to kill it in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    yes,bb10 was a better os than Android but let's be honest, the last real update was two years ago. Most of the apps are just as old. A bunch of them don't even work anymore. Yes, I know some people don't need the apps but by that logic people could still use the 5820 model just as well. I used bb10 for two years. Yes, it is a very reliable OS. But it was abandoned and it will soon be obsolete.
    mbirth likes this.
    05-22-17 06:36 PM
    Because it all comes down to the app ecosystem where Blackberry has been lacking for the last decade. Android are giving better tools for app developpers to work with, more flexibility. Blackberry built their philosophy around privacy and security concerns and unfortunately, it would be too demanding to deal with security and the open-source Android. Now it's a better solution to go with Android since the OS is used worldwide along with iOS. Trying to compete against it, is like Samsung trying to compete with Bixby vs Google Assistant, Alexa and Siri ; it's a waste of ressources.

Instead, they're focusing to bring to the table what they're good at : security & productivity. It's a smart choice to take what's already available and build on it to reinforce Android and the vulnerabilities exposed. They don't have the ressources to build from ground zero going from hardware to software like Apple does in a fashion way.

I'm a proud owner of a Keyone and I believe if they go in the same pathway to build smartphones like they did with the Keyone, I can see a minor regain of the smartphone market in the upcoming years (going from 0.1% to 5% globally). They really took into account every specs needed to build a smartphone that is battery efficient (because people don't want a thinner phone, they just want a battery that lasts at least a day), good camera (a department where Blackberry never achieved success but has to take in consideration because people use their smartphone as their primary camera for everyday use) and good hardware (Just like their Bold 9000/9900 that made their success).

I can see why people complaint about the price for ''outdated'' specs, but yet they haven't tried to see how the battery life is MAGNIFICENT. Blackberry released the Keyone for a niche market : government & business where security & productivity are the priorities. They didn't go for the mass market but then, the compelling hardware and reviews are prone to catch consummers interest. They're the only one making a PKB in a world of slates, where each smartphone all look alike!
    falbo likes this.
    05-22-17 07:20 PM
    From the posts I read on CrackBerry, it's clear that some people just seem to have a knack for making whatever device they have run poorly.

For the rest of us things tend to work as expected. I've had my DTEK50 for about eight months now and it is still working just fine, even with all the apps I've added.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    05-22-17 07:58 PM
    Really?.

Posted via CB10
    So subjective. I love bb10, but running a nearly 2.5 year old version of Instagram wasn't ideal. Let's keep things real
    05-22-17 10:36 PM
    Let's be realistic, BlackBerry 10 is no longer in BlackBerry's future. I do still use Passport, and so does my wife. But that's it. We are also using iphone to make up the App gap. My suggestion is: quit asking, and move on.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and Adam Frix like this.
    05-23-17 12:34 AM
    I LOVE this new Android. It's wayyy better then the Priv. Runs Hub amazingly and you can multitask fast. Having Apps is so nice too. Get over BB10. Android is here. BB10 is dead.
    05-23-17 12:46 AM
112 123 ...