I am not expecting TCL to sell the components below cost
    Just stating that they will be able to achieve a cost lower than BlackBerry
    I was actually responding to the idea that BlackBerry should load up their base phone with 6GB RAM and other very expensive components to try and win back marketshare. Loss leader should not be in their vocabulary right now.

As for TCL reselling Qualcomm's SOCs, that is not their business and it totally jeopardizes their discounts with Qualcomm. Of course Qualcomm doesn't give people volume discounts just so they can turn around and undercut Qualcomm's own pricing!

I'm certain that TCL has an agreement with Qualcomm not to resell these components. That's a standard clause in most of these supplier contracts. Where I work, for example, we can't resell parts of our ATMs or the EMV chips we use in our credit cards (parts that we get at significant discount because of our scale)
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-19-16 08:26 AM
    I am not expecting TCL to sell the components below cost
    Just stating that they will be able to achieve a cost lower than BlackBerry

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Sorry to say, but it seems you're the only one who thinks this is a good idea. So either you're a visionary or there are flaws in this idea that you just don't realize...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-19-16 11:11 AM
    Sorry to say, but it seems you're the only one who thinks this is a good idea. So either you're a visionary or there are flaws in this idea that you just don't realize...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    I didn't know that Qualcomm would have sort of agreement in place that's all

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Dmessenger likes this.
    10-19-16 11:35 AM
    I didn't know that Qualcomm would have sort of agreement in place that's all

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Another example.

Dell purchases OEM Windows licenses for $25 from Microsoft, with an agreement to only distribute the licenses as part of a complete Dell computer.

BlackBerry in this case is a smaller boutique shop and doesn't want as many since they don't expect that high of sales on their handbuilt PCs. Since Microsoft can't sell that many licenses to make an acceptable margin, so they price in the agreement with BlackBerry at $50.

What you're asking is like asking BlackBerry to go to Dell, asking if they can sell you their OEM Windows licenses they bundle with their machines for $25. In which Microsoft would probably terminate their agreement if they did, and likely Dell will only order enough for THEIR PCs, since they aren't in a business to sell licenses.

Sure you can argue some smaller shops will, maybe with a dead hard drive to fulfill the hardware requirement, but even then the shop will not just charge you what Microsoft charges them. And again, Microsoft will likely not supply them anymore as they aren't supposed to this.

It's called "a business needs to make a profit", which you seemingly have a problem understanding.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-19-16 12:28 PM
    OP, you may be the only person on the planet who would base their decision to buy the Mercury on what chipset it has.
    If ever there was a phone that aimed for "good enough" it will be the Mercury.
    10-19-16 01:23 PM
    OP, you may be the only person on the planet who would base their decision to buy the Mercury on what chipset it has.
    If ever there was a phone that aimed for "good enough" it will be the Mercury.
    I m definitely not basing the decision on the chipset
    I'll be buying it even if it ships with the 617!

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    10-19-16 01:41 PM
    I don't mind the multitasking based chipset. I would like a nice camera though.

Not that I'm such a photo bug. but a lot of people when they ask about my phone, ask about how the camera is.
    10-20-16 11:28 AM
    But if they can put the 820 without pushing up the costs, shouldn't they use the 820 instead of the 625?
    Plus I think the price is going to be almost the same unlike the $150 difference in the Classic and the Passport

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Well given the nature of BlackBerry of delaying things till very late. Might as well give it snap 820. By the time it is released snap 820 will already be a thing of the past when everyone is using snap 830. God knows when will they release this damn device...2018?
    10-25-16 04:44 AM
    Don't think the 820 is that battery adverse
    Frankly I am not really a specs person
    But they matter in android
    And also I want this phone to do well, better specs might help it to sell better

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Hey if the performance wasn't that indifferent and you didn't notice a difference lower special are fine. BUT in this case the difference is quite huge once you start using the device so specs do matters. And for time of us that want the best specs we are willing to pay for it.
    10-31-16 03:47 PM
    Blackberry aint doing nothin'. It's up to the partners
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-31-16 03:48 PM
    How doth thou knoweth such things? Facts, please.
    10-31-16 08:44 PM
    How doth thou knoweth such things? Facts, please.
    Fact: BlackBerry is not designing, manufacturing, marketing or selling any more phones.
    Fact: BlackBerry only wants to license its software to partners who will design, manufacture, market, sell, and support new devices.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-31-16 11:47 PM
    Fact: BlackBerry is not designing, manufacturing, marketing or selling any more phones.
    Fact: BlackBerry only wants to license its software to partners who will design, manufacture, market, sell, and support new devices.
    The support aspect is confusing for phones that will have the software of BlackBerry and are BlackBerry branded phones. Who will do the support? Also, how will they be marketed and by whom? It seems there would need to be support from BlackBerry for their software, or am I missing something here? Software support needs to mesh with hardware support because they are dependent on each other to function.
    11-01-16 02:23 AM
    The support aspect is confusing for phones that will have the software of BlackBerry and are BlackBerry branded phones. Who will do the support? Also, how will they be marketed and by whom? It seems there would need to be support from BlackBerry for their software, or am I missing something here? Software support needs to mesh with hardware support because they are dependent on each other to function.
    Support will be provided by the entity that brings the product to market... That's pretty standard isn't it - can you name any product for which that isn't the case?

For phones produced by a licensee, the licensee will support their product. The licensee may have an internal support arrangement with BB, I would think that likely, but the end consumer isn't a party to that support arrangement.

As to BB being involved in the marketing and distribution of a licensees phone... it depends on whether you believe what Chen said at the ER. He said that BB "probably won't" get involved and he made absolutely clear that he wouldn't spend any of BB's money on bringing the licensees phone to market. BB were going to provide software... And that's all.
    11-01-16 03:09 AM
    Support will be provided by the entity that brings the product to market... That's pretty standard isn't it - can you name any product for which that isn't the case?
    I think that's the law in most countries.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-01-16 03:55 AM
    But if they can put the 820 without pushing up the costs, shouldn't they use the 820 instead of the 625?
    Plus I think the price is going to be almost the same unlike the $150 difference in the Classic and the Passport

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Because an SD 820 is necessary for typing emails or reading spread sheets?

The selling point of this device is the pkb, not the SoC. The target audience are those who would use this device for work and not for play. Blackberries have historically been under spec'd, and there is a reason for that.

Then of course there are the costs of building the pkb and the sensor / board it sits on top of...
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-01-16 02:23 PM
66 123