First off, let me start by saying that the new S8 by Samsung is a glorious phone. I knew it would be a different user experience, but I've come to realize that it simply isn't the device for me.

I purchased the S8 through AT&T and was able to spend a couple of days playing with it and learning the ins and outs of Android. The screen is a piece of art and it displayed videos and photos excellently. The infinity screen provides a unique look and is the peak of minimalist design for mobile devices, though I know there are other phones that have also taken this approach (Trust me y'all, holding the phone and using it was so cool! Do yourselves a favor and head to a local carrier store to check it out).

The form factor was obviously very different to what I've been using the past couple of years. I had a Classic (which I'm now using again) and before that, I had a Q10. I'm 23, so most people who see me with these phones are A. Shocked and B. Inquisitive as to how I manage to communicate with my peers (insert sarcastic laugh here). There are apparent differences in build: The screen of the S8 dwarfs my Classic's, no physical keyboard, and yes, bezels are becoming obsolete.

While I appreciate the extra screen real estate, the missing keyboard was a nightmare. I knew it would take a while to get used to, but those virtual keyboards are so annoying. I was constantly going back to edit and change mistakes that would otherwise be non-existant had I used my Classic. It took longer, and the frustration grew after a couple of simple messages were exchanged. The lack of tactile response was new to me, and it honestly felt like I was playing with a kid's toy. It was enough for me to start second guessing my purchase. I will add, however, that the bezel elimination was very very cool. The KEYone has the metal bar on top, but I feel like I would appreciate the design more were it slightly thinner.

Android OS was confusing (and thankfully I was able to familiarize myself with it on the S8 before the KEYone comes out). I missed BB10 so much. The HUB is THE most structured way of going through all of my notifications and messages. It simplifies sending emails, responding to Tweets, etc. I knew that would be my concern and one of the things I'd miss the most about my BlackBerry.

I went out with friends one night and thought I'd take the camera out for a spin and let me just say: I was not impressed. Results in low light weren't what I thought they would be (better than my Classic, but perhaps not when compared to the KEYone). Also: yes, the camera got smudges when I tried unlocking it.

Overall, the phone is very good looking, but it doesn't meet my specific requirements when it comes to a mobile device. The deal breaker for me was truthfully the missing physical keyboard. I'm excited to buy the KEYone for multiple reasons, but the pkb is definitely one of the main reasons. Also, there's something about holding a blackberry in your hands and getting to call it your daily device. Call it nostalgia or old school ideals, there's no denying that in a sea of apples, it's cool to be a blackberry.

P.S.: I ended up gifting the phone to my brother who just recently came back from Japan. He loves it and ended up ditching his iPhone.

EDIT: The S8 was wicked fast. I experienced no lag switching between apps whatsoever.

Posted with  BlackBerry Classic
    04-25-17 01:53 PM
    Imagine if the KEYone had the S8's flagship hardware....

Anyway for those that want a physical keyboard, the KEYone is going to be a very good solution. But for others, giving a new platform a couple of months for you to get use to it, is probable wise. I know when I got my STORM it took forever to get use to the UI, but then when I went back to a BOLD it was difficult to get use to a PKB again. In the end I missed the screen real estate more than I appreciated the keyboard and it's shortcuts. When I returned to all touch with my Z10, I decided I'd never go back to a PKB....
    04-25-17 02:04 PM

Anyway for those that want a physical keyboard, the KEYone is going to be a very good solution. But for others, giving a new platform a couple of months for you to get use to it, is probable wise. I know when I got my STORM it took forever to get use to the UI, but then when I went back to a BOLD it was difficult to get use to a PKB again. In the end I missed the screen real estate more than I appreciated the keyboard and it's shortcuts. When I returned to all touch with my Z10, I decided I'd never go back to a PKB....
    Very true. Of course, I would have eventually gotten used to not using the physical keyboard. I decided to wait for the KEYone a little longer after realizing I could get the same OS AND the keyboard. It just seemed to make more sense at the time. Also, the newfound hype of potential announcements or release this week was the final push for me.
    04-25-17 02:41 PM
    You should have tried installing the BlackBerry keyboard on the s8. BlackBerry virtual keyboard is really unparallelled still today.
    World War Z30 likes this.
    04-25-17 02:49 PM
    You should have tried installing the BlackBerry keyboard on the s8. BlackBerry virtual keyboard is really unparallelled still today.
    Disagree, its still a virtual KB, not even close to PKB.
    04-25-17 02:51 PM
    You're right, it's faster and with less mistakes on the vkb 😂
    jaydee5799 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-25-17 02:53 PM
    You're right, it's faster and with less mistakes on the vkb ������
    I went from Z10 to Z30 to DTEK50 and then S7 Edge and while some might be ok with VKB personally I just cannot get accurate with it. I am constantly having to go back and fix errors because I didn't hit the right key or hit space instead of "N" etc. and no amount of predictive anything can fix that unfortunately so I'm looking forward to getting back into a PKB device so I can be more accurate. It will take some getting used to that's for sure.
    PALoeza and o4liberty like this.
    04-25-17 03:15 PM
    I do prefer keyboard as well but VKB is not bad for me and it's no deal breaker for me. I was happy dtek60 and z30.
    04-25-17 03:23 PM
    Never tried the newer PKB that allow for gestures... might be the best of both worlds with a physical keyboard and great predictive texting.

I just know that a VKB was much better back in the days of the Q10. At this point, it's less about typing and more about seeing for me. But we all have different needs. I hope PKB users are able to get more regular updates (phones not OS) now.
    04-25-17 03:29 PM
    In before the people who would claim you simply need time to "realize" that the vkb is "better." I use an all-touch Android for work and have been using it for over a year. I am still 10x more accurate typing on a pkb than the vkb, even after all of this time. No doubt the specs on the s8 are better, but the way I interface with the phone will make a bigger difference to my user experience than how many gigahertz is under the surface of the phone. So I can definitely understand why you're still looking forward to trying the KEYone despite having used a "superior" phone.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-25-17 03:43 PM
    I think the BlackBerry VKB is actually really good but totally understand the want to go back to PKB.

I was on a z10 for 3 years and having moved on from a 9780. Now on a classic I'm enjoying my typing experience.

The other half has a Pixel and I have to admit the typing experience is not as good as the above mentioned.

Technically the VKB can be had on Non-BB phones but isn't meant to be.

If your getting the S8 for the camera, it works really well and I recently saw a side by side comparison with the G6, S8 and the Pixel. To me the pixel came up on tops for lowlight and overall had a better image over the course of the video even though it lacked OIS. Probably due to the Google exclusive algorithms but at least this sensor is also available on the KEYone so that should take some decent photos too.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-17 03:55 PM
    Try out the keyboard app called 'swiftkey'. Much better than most of the vkb and it let's you type much faster than on normal vkb. But still not as fast as on a pkb. But make sure to turn off autocorrect since it is always more annoying than helpful

Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport™
    04-25-17 03:59 PM
    Not trying to speak for everyone who prefers a pkb, but personally is not enough to get used to a vkb. It's about being fast and accurate. Again, not generalizing, but I've seen many veteran 'touch only phone' users spending more time hitting the back button, than the send.

Looking forward the KeyONE!
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    04-25-17 04:00 PM
    Yeah thats true. I was observing other people typing and they hit the back button so often just because they were too dumb to just turn off the stupid autocorrect

Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport™
    04-25-17 04:03 PM
    I am actually slower on physical keys now. except passport. Must be the space. BB VKB is decent and i make minimal typos with it.
    04-25-17 04:17 PM
    Wait until you try the KEYᴼᴺᴱ! For those us lucky to have tried it it's just awesome. Period. Not just the PKB but the complete overall form factor. Soon in our hands!
    04-25-17 05:02 PM
    I left BlackBerry a number of years ago for Windows Phone, then Android. Been using a Galaxy Note 5 for the past year. Last month, I decided to put I'm SIM card in my wife's old BB Classic just for fun. Within a day, I was back in love with that old PKB. Been going back and forth between the two devices since then. Love the apps on Android but the form factor of the BB is so awesome. Can't wait to pick up the KEYone so I can enjoy the best of both worlds.
    04-25-17 05:42 PM
    In before this dissolves into a pkb vs vkb which comes down to personal preference as far as messaging on a phone goes.

With that said - try transcribing audio or taking notes from a meeting on a vkb, or even writing a novel with it - you won't be able to, PERIOD.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    PALoeza and jamesharmeling like this.
    04-25-17 06:03 PM
    Wait until you try the KEYᴼᴺᴱ! For those us lucky to have tried it it's just awesome. Period. Not just the PKB but the complete overall form factor. Soon in our hands!
    Lucky those who were able to see it in person and take it for a test run. I really should have waited for the KEYone to come out instead of buying the S8 impulsively. Let's just hope it comes out soon!
    04-25-17 09:23 PM
    only good thing about s8 is cam..But other then that nothing else lol...shortcuts will scool anyone in opening an app
    04-25-17 09:41 PM
    To me it's not about VKB vs PKB. I prefer typing on a VKB, but...
    What I do overwhelmingly on my phone is communicate. For this reason, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ form factor allows me much more screen real estate, when I can use it most. I can't wait to have it as my daily driver.
    04-25-17 09:52 PM
    Yeah i wish that was my case. Im much faster withe the vkb now. Used the classic few months back and it felt ancient. That was my experience though. Im now curious to compare the k1 with my i7.

As for camera, is t it supposed to be good in low light? i have a feeling no matter what tcl drops in there, it will come down to software. This is where i give apple credit.
    04-25-17 10:08 PM
    Yeah i wish that was my case. Im much faster withe the vkb now. Used the classic few months back and it felt ancient. That was my experience though. Im now curious to compare the k1 with my i7.

As for camera, is t it supposed to be good in low light? i have a feeling no matter what tcl drops in there, it will come down to software. This is where i give apple credit.
    I would say accuracy is more important than speed. I'm pretty quick on a VKB but the PKB is where it just seems right and I'm hoping I get that same feeling on the KEYone as I do on the classic.

You're right, a lot of the "magic" that the pixel was able to produce is due to the HDR+ algorithms that only they have (and won't share),. But the sensor will definitely get you part way there, but let's hope the jpg processing and video focusing & stabilisation (EIS) is somewhere close.

https://www.xda-developers.com/sony-...-its-features/

Further reading if you want to know about the sensor.

Here's hoping the lens on the KEYone is good too.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-17 02:13 AM

Going back and forth like that could be considered a type of multi tasking. I'm not too good at multi tasking!
    I tried walking and chewing gum once and I tripped!
    04-26-17 02:47 AM
    First off, let me start by saying that the new S8 by Samsung is a glorious phone. I knew it would be a different user experience, but I've come to realize that it simply isn't the device for me.

I purchased the S8 through AT&T and was able to spend a couple of days playing with it and learning the ins and outs of Android. The screen is a piece of art and it displayed videos and photos excellently. The infinity screen provides a unique look and is the peak of minimalist design for mobile devices, though I know there are other phones that have also taken this approach (Trust me y'all, holding the phone and using it was so cool! Do yourselves a favor and head to a local carrier store to check it out).

The form factor was obviously very different to what I've been using the past couple of years. I had a Classic (which I'm now using again) and before that, I had a Q10. I'm 23, so most people who see me with these phones are A. Shocked and B. Inquisitive as to how I manage to communicate with my peers (insert sarcastic laugh here). There are apparent differences in build: The screen of the S8 dwarfs my Classic's, no physical keyboard, and yes, bezels are becoming obsolete.

While I appreciate the extra screen real estate, the missing keyboard was a nightmare. I knew it would take a while to get used to, but those virtual keyboards are so annoying. I was constantly going back to edit and change mistakes that would otherwise be non-existant had I used my Classic. It took longer, and the frustration grew after a couple of simple messages were exchanged. The lack of tactile response was new to me, and it honestly felt like I was playing with a kid's toy. It was enough for me to start second guessing my purchase. I will add, however, that the bezel elimination was very very cool. The KEYone has the metal bar on top, but I feel like I would appreciate the design more were it slightly thinner.

Android OS was confusing (and thankfully I was able to familiarize myself with it on the S8 before the KEYone comes out). I missed BB10 so much. The HUB is THE most structured way of going through all of my notifications and messages. It simplifies sending emails, responding to Tweets, etc. I knew that would be my concern and one of the things I'd miss the most about my BlackBerry.

I went out with friends one night and thought I'd take the camera out for a spin and let me just say: I was not impressed. Results in low light weren't what I thought they would be (better than my Classic, but perhaps not when compared to the KEYone). Also: yes, the camera got smudges when I tried unlocking it.

Overall, the phone is very good looking, but it doesn't meet my specific requirements when it comes to a mobile device. The deal breaker for me was truthfully the missing physical keyboard. I'm excited to buy the KEYone for multiple reasons, but the pkb is definitely one of the main reasons. Also, there's something about holding a blackberry in your hands and getting to call it your daily device. Call it nostalgia or old school ideals, there's no denying that in a sea of apples, it's cool to be a blackberry.

P.S.: I ended up gifting the phone to my brother who just recently came back from Japan. He loves it and ended up ditching his iPhone.

EDIT: The S8 was wicked fast. I experienced no lag switching between apps whatsoever.

Posted with  BlackBerry Classic
    Do you mind to post photo of s8 keyboard.... I am using s7 edge with bb keyboard with no errors...
    Why I regret my S8 and will purchase KEYone-img_20170413_191739.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-26-17 04:40 AM
79 123 ...