Meanwhile Apple goes out of their way to not even mention RAM, just the storage available. And they've sold hundreds of millions of phones without even 3GB of RAM and no 4GB even yet that I'm aware of. The iPhone 6 was 1GB, 6S 2GB, 6S+ 2GB, iPhone7 is 2GB, 7+ 3GB.
    You know iPhones don't run Android, don't you?

If KEYone runs BB11 OS or any proprietary OS, 2GB could be even enough. The OS and its apps must be very RAM efficient though.
    04-11-17 01:28 AM
    To clarify:

Benchmarking on PC clearly shows the law of diminishing returns for RAM. The same is true for android, it matters a lot to a certain point, and then less and less after than point. I'd say its about 2gb, or perhaps 3gb for very high res big screens. Its established as 4gb for a PC.

Not saying it doesn't matter, just saying that the difference between 1gb and 2gb is huge, the difference between 3gb and 4gb is slight. So yes, having 2gb is very important. Having 4gb instead of 3gb is comparatively minor.

Disk access occurs all the time. Windows and Android both pass things in RAM out to disk when you switch applications. Its called a "cache". Applications also write and read from disk all the time. Disk access is the slowest part of a machine. Install an SSD in a computer, you'll see its the more significant performance factor.

Yes, its more important when loading apps, installing apps, booting, waking from hibernation/sleep iike it is on a computer. But its also relevant in multi-tasking like ram, and for apps that make heavier use of the disk (like games). And yes I agree speed is an overall experience. But what I was pointing out, that with the level CPUs are at, the level RAM is at, and the level that android software is generally at (the OS is light, and the applications light compared to full desktop software), by far the most significant performance factor is disk speed.

I'd also say that RAM speed is probably more important than total ram, especially after 3gb.

Not that having a phone with 8gb wont be slightly faster, especially in multi-tasking than 3gb. But for the price, for the specification, its the wrong thing to be looking for. It's like wanting a PC with 16gb of ram, rather than an SSD.

Although you do make another good point - ram and disk speed both take load off the CPU. The difference might be slight though compared to the SoC power draw.
    Ever tried a PC or tablet with 4 GB of RAM runningW10? Let me know how you find the performance on that, I already do and it's, well sort of low.
    If you have 8 GB of RAM on the same config you will see a big difference, the same applies for android, optimization wasn't android's best friend, not now, not ever, so when future OS updates show up, you can bet your 3 GB of RAM that the OS and Apps will eat a lot more than 6.0.1 or 7.1.1 are consuming right now. For me having 4 GB of RAM or more is just future proof, on the other hand seeing as BB has a well known track record for delivering major OS updates, maybe that + RAM won't matter as we won't see an update of the new OS.
    04-11-17 02:43 PM
    I think it already exist... Kodak had one. It was horrible
    That's not really Kodak. Its an example of a once dominant industry leader that failed to adapt to changing technology and markets, and was forced by financial circumstances to enter into licensing deals for its once proud brand.
    04-11-17 03:34 PM
    Nintendo switch got only 4gb ram and it's fine! 3gb is more than enough.
    04-11-17 03:42 PM
    I don't think RAM alone should be the deciding factor. I was concerned as well at first. But now, I believe the KEYone will be a performer even if it hasn't got 4gb RAM.
    And to put into context, the Aurora has 4gb.. The Galaxy S8 has 4gb, just like the S7 that came before it.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-17 06:17 PM
    Phone manufacturers carefully calculate these things. For the KEYone someone or group decided this was the best arrangement for the device overall when it came to overall performance.
    04-11-17 07:39 PM
    Phone manufacturers carefully calculate these things. For the KEYone someone or group decided this was the best arrangement for the device overall when it came to overall performance.
    And they dared to do so without consulting the armchair engineers at Crackberry!

THEY MUST DIE!
    anon(10101748) likes this.
    04-11-17 08:15 PM
    I did a comparison using geekbench 4 using zte blade v8 pro (3gb, snapdragon 625) vs moto g5 plus (4gb version, snapdragon 625)

What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Why has the KEYone been released with only 3GB of RAM?-screenshot_2017-04-11-21-39-58.jpg   Why has the KEYone been released with only 3GB of RAM?-screenshot_20170411-214006.jpg  
    04-11-17 11:44 PM
    Lack of money

Posted via CB10
    04-12-17 01:09 AM
    Nintendo switch got only 4gb ram and it's fine! 3gb is more than enough.
    Nintendo switch runs android! What a revelation!

Posted via CB10
    krazyatom likes this.
    04-12-17 02:27 AM
    According to several other threads, the bigger problem is technically speaking, KEYone has not actually been released.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-17 05:42 AM
86 ... 234