I'm not at all excited about the KeyOne's release, because the phone has only got 3GB of RAM. The Passport that I'm using, was released with 3GB of RAM, and that was 3 years ago.

I realise that the phone is being marketed as a mid-tier device, but with the price of the phone being $599, it should have been equipped with at least 4GB.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 08:09 PM
    3gb is just fine especially with the processor they chose
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-29-17 08:13 PM
    I believe the SD 625 SoC it uses is specifically geared to run with 3GB of RAM. I've used the KEYone for a while -- it's very smooth. 3GB works.
    Pez1983 and BLu like this.
    03-29-17 08:13 PM
    It was optimized with 3gb that's way
    03-29-17 08:29 PM
    I'm sure it will run fine but it was a bad idea. Casual non tech people when looking at specs seem to mostly focus on the RAM.

Those casuals are going to see 3GB of RAM and then see the price tag and they'll say no way. Not all but some guaranteed will skip it because of that.

They should have just gone with 4.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 08:35 PM
    I'm not at all excited about the KeyOne's release, because the phone has only got 3GB of RAM. The Passport that I'm using, was released with 3GB of RAM, and that was 3 years ago.

I realise that the phone is being marketed as a mid-tier device, but with the price of the phone being $599, it should have been equipped with at least 4GB.

Posted via CB10
    It's easy: as TCL was developing the specs, they sat around a table and laughed out loud talking about how can they annoy as many web forum geekbois as possible. The winner: "Let's make it a MID RANGE phone!"
    Elephant_Canyon, Wezard and tryfe like this.
    03-29-17 08:44 PM
    i believe the sd 625 soc it uses is specifically geared to run with 3gb of ram. I've used the keyone for a while -- it's very smooth. 3gb works.
    "it can't run as smooth! 3 is a smaller number than 4!!! Therefore it's inferior!!!!"
    jakie55 and BLu like this.
    03-29-17 08:45 PM
    I'm sure it will run fine but it was a bad idea. Casual non tech people when looking at specs seem to mostly focus on the RAM.
    I dispute that, heartily.

RAM specs on a phone, as a published spec, is a VERY new thing. Most people are looking at the storage space number, if anything. And frankly, many aren't even looking at that. Most people are used to, "But it's only $99!" as they ignore the true cost they pay. And for "only $99!" what they get is the smallest storage phone the vendor offers. And if it's Android, it's also the crappiest phone.

Anyway, you are sorely mistaken if you think the world even knows that phones have RAM, let alone how much.

You're one of the three dozen geekbois who cares.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    03-29-17 08:48 PM
    "it can't run as smooth! 3 is a smaller number than 4!!! Therefore it's inferior!!!!"
    The Spec Fallacy: more must be better...and needed.

Posted via CB10
    Adam Frix and Nathan Conley like this.
    03-29-17 08:50 PM
    I dispute that, heartily.

RAM specs on a phone, as a published spec, is a VERY new thing. Most people are looking at the storage space number, if anything. And frankly, many aren't even looking at that. Most people are used to, "But it's only $99!" as they ignore the true cost they pay. And for "only $99!" what they get is the smallest storage phone the vendor offers. And if it's Android, it's also the crappiest phone.

Anyway, you are sorely mistaken if you think the world even knows that phones have RAM, let alone how much.

You're one of the three dozen geekbois who cares.
    I'm speaking from personal experience with non tech savvy friends and acquaintances.

Posted via CB10
    wysiwyg86 likes this.
    03-29-17 08:55 PM
    I'm just someone who knows very little about the specifications that a developer chooses to put out on a phone. I certainly know sweet fa about what processor has been chosen for this phone.

To me it seems strange that there has been no increase in the RAM that BlackBerry/TCL phones operate with for three years. Some of you who have suggested that the 3GB is fine may be correct, but with Samsung and the like releasing phones with 4GB+, surely it would have made more sense to release the phone with 4GB on board.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 09:04 PM
    I'm speaking from personal experience with non tech savvy friends and acquaintances.

Posted via CB10
    And others, such as myself, have had opposite experiences.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 09:27 PM
    And others, such as myself, have had opposite experiences.

Posted via CB10
    We live in a very diverse society. That is entirely possible.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 09:28 PM
    I believe the SD 625 SoC it uses is specifically geared to run with 3GB of RAM. I've used the KEYone for a while -- it's very smooth. 3GB works.
    I do not believe this for one second, unless you have a source that has a technical explanation why 625 is optimized for 3GB. Just because you subjectively think it's "smooth" and sufficient for use, doesn't means it's "specifically geared".

There are LOTS of devices with 4GB and a 625.

It's cost and design tradeoff, nothing else.
    03-29-17 09:28 PM
    We live in a very diverse society. That is entirely possible.

Posted via CB10
    I would argue that the camera is one thing people initially fixate on. But after a while, most people I know have no clue what the specs on their phones are. Does it look nice? Does it take nice pictures? How long does the battery last? Stuff like that seems more important.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 09:31 PM
    Have you used a Priv? If so would you say the KEYone runs smoother?
    03-29-17 09:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    One friend wants more memory, another wants more storage, another wants a better SoC, another wants a better camera. Where does it stop?

Seems to me it stops at $1000.
    Pez1983 and Jrox74 like this.
    03-29-17 09:42 PM
    One friend wants more memory, another wants more storage, another wants a better SoC, another wants a better camera. Where does it stop?

Too bad the Google modular phone died. Then people could have whatever they want lol!

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 09:44 PM

So there, it's a cost, price point design constraint. Not "optimized" like some are saying above.
    03-29-17 09:49 PM
    More RAM is always better cause more apps will remain in memory thus will load quicker. But doesn't mean that 3GB isn't enough... You really have to test the device to knownit
    ubizmo and Pez1983 like this.
    03-29-17 10:16 PM
    So there, it's a cost, price point design constraint. Not "optimized" like some are saying above.
    Depends on what your "optimal" price point would be, I suppose.

There are many people complaining about the price of the device already... so, if more RAM means more money, surely there would be more unhappy people around if the ones who want more RAM got their way.

Obviously it depends on how people are using it but I truly believe that the KEYone is going to run great and be more than sufficient for how most of its target audience is going to use it.

What I find difficult to grasp is how so many people don't seem to realize that the KEYone is not trying to compete with the latest powerhouse Android phones. It doesn't have to! It has a freaking keyboard! There is NOTHING else like it available right now!!! OK, the PRIV but, even then, it looks like any other slab when the keyboard isn't deployed. The last Android devices with a physical keyboard had 1 gig of RAM and didn't go past Android 4.1!!! I know it seems ridiculous to compare the KEYone to those phones but I honestly think it's more ridiculous to compare it to the Galaxy series or the G6 because it's not trying to compete with them.
    Mecca EL and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-29-17 10:17 PM
    More RAM is always better cause more apps will remain in memory thus will load quicker. But doesn't mean that 3GB isn't enough... You really have to test the device to knownit
    Yes. Enough it may be, but not "better" than more RAM.
    03-29-17 10:29 PM
    I do not believe this for one second, unless you have a source that has a technical explanation why 625 is optimized for 3GB. Just because you subjectively think it's "smooth" and sufficient for use, doesn't means it's "specifically geared".

There are LOTS of devices with 4GB and a 625.

It's cost and design tradeoff, nothing else.
    But isn't that - cost and trade-offs - what all design is about? The reports we have are that even with lots of apps the phone runs very smoothly, is responsive and fast, with a 625 & 3G...and has a long charge life. If you are an inveterant gamer, maybe it's not for you. If you want a productivity piece, with lots of apps, solid build, and a great camera then maybe it's for you.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 11:13 PM
    Bottom line is more ram is always beneficial. I never had problem with 3gb ram though. My passport 3gb feels very solid.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    03-30-17 12:10 AM
    I'm just someone who knows very little about the specifications that a developer chooses to put out on a phone. I certainly know sweet fa about what processor has been chosen for this phone.

To me it seems strange that there has been no increase in the RAM that BlackBerry/TCL phones operate with for three years. Some of you who have suggested that the 3GB is fine may be correct, but with Samsung and the like releasing phones with 4GB+, surely it would have made more sense to release the phone with 4GB on board.

Posted via CB10
    The s8/s8+ and even the lg g6 are only 4gbs of ram and those phones cost close to $300 more then the keyone. More ram is better but the 3gbs of ram is not 3 years old and will be optimized to run smoothly or they wouldn't have chose it.

People will never be happy, 3 years from now they'll complain a phone with 5 gbs doesn't have 6 gbs of ram when one gets 7, when in reality it's all a pointless special race now and these devices don't really need all that ram. Do they benefit from it? Indeed, do they need it? No not really.
    murphy_thom likes this.
    03-30-17 12:27 AM
86 123 ...