I thought not all the Passports was made in Waterloo, but some were made in Mexico. I remember you having a AT&T passport that got replace with a made in Canada AT&T design passport with no carrier branding.
    Limited runs (certain special carrier models, developer devices, prototypes) were in the now-shuttered factory in Waterloo. Oddly enough they still have the contact info for the factory on their website.
    12-18-16 07:51 PM
    Reading posts here is getting extremely sad, with the folks who are all "BB10 for life, hope the next device has BB10" and the "I need a true in house device, I'm hoping for a true in house device or else it's going to be crap" and the "there better be a logo on the front or else it's going to suck" people there's not too much good to read.
    12-18-16 07:55 PM
    Reading posts here is getting extremely sad, with the folks who are all "BB10 for life, hope the next device has BB10" and the "I need a true in house device, I'm hoping for a true in house device or else it's going to be crap" and the "there better be a logo on the front or else it's going to suck" people there's not too much good to read.
    Sadly yes. Sometimes I find even Reddit has more sense than these forums.

This was why I kept saying the whole Android section here should have just been a link to the corresponding forums on Android Central. Would have a much wider appeal than the same people repeating the same crap. Those "die hards" would rather be caught dead than to appear on an Android forums, but I don't have to read "my Passport is the best" posts every few threads.
    12-18-16 09:48 PM
    Sadly yes. Sometimes I find even Reddit has more sense than these forums.

This was why I kept saying the whole Android section here should have just been a link to the corresponding forums on Android Central. Would have a much wider appeal than the same people repeating the same crap. Those "die hards" would rather be caught dead than to appear on an Android forums, but I don't have to read "my Passport is the best" posts every few threads.
    Yah, those Passport people are so off. Obviously the Classic is the best... Oh, I missed the point of the post? Oops... :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-19-16 01:11 AM
    Yah, those Passport people are so off. Obviously the Classic is the best... Oh, I missed the point of the post? Oops... :-P

You KNOW who I am talking about.
    12-19-16 08:13 AM
    Don't know what in house mean? My guess it might be in house design (certainly enough input on the kb side - material selection, process sequence and build detail - otherwise, you lost the BB touch and reliability - proven in the field by bbOS7 device many years over). As for the degree of out sourcing/licensing, there are different levels:
    (1) design by OEM - and build in house - the red z10 for example. OEM back all the liability and reliability (Made in Canada used to get better re-sale value even in 9xxx days).
    (2) design by OEM and build by CM (contract manufacturing) - the OEM dictate BOM (bill of material), build sequence, process, testing methodology etc. resume the liability of product. There is a huge benefit to do so - like apple "designed by apple in CA", MFG by chinese or others. Ideally, you want to have each economic block got one MFG facility to avoid full handset tariff, components, subassembly are taxed at much lower rate for import. you can negociate with gov if you bring in jobs to get better deal - like Irish. many over looked duty issues, only focus on the labour cost... with automation going, labour cost are very low except testing and reconfiguration for each carrier, however, the logistic is not easy to handle. if you have small market share, you can forget multiple MFG deals (too low volume, no body would be interested because the logistic overhead is too much).
    (3) contract out design to either design house or CM, it would be a customer design that carry the brand name. the deisgn house usually is one shot deal, you would need to tweak the design to be manufacturable. if it is CM customer design, they might already know what components to use based on what ever on the floor, that can share with other product they are making for other customers (may be like Blu or others), CM suppose to carry all the liability and reliability.. By nature of the CM business, you don't get cutting edge or bleeding edge stuff (since that is not share with other customer of CMs, going to incur more cost). The CM design, by default, are bit of average... you risk the in-mature design (CM usually are good MFG but not design... sometimes, copy two work well design and mix together may cause problems, EMI shielding, weight distribution, etc. a design not well thought of, but average).
    (4) re-branding... take a form/fit/function, tweak a bit - upgrade a processor, for example or add RAM, if it is proven design, it is low cost, low risk... hopefully the brand will carry some weight - like Thurmp tower. License the name of the brand - the other party (CM) will responsible for all the liability and reliability, marketing, end of life, etc. depend upon how the contract signed, it may or may not to prevent the brand in the future to make their own handset (that would be very bad). Hopefully, the licensee product will enhance the brand name rather than damage it... but you never know the risk (unless there are close supervision that written in the contracture agreement as part of damaging clause).
    Look like Mercury is between 1 and 2 (since TCL know nothing about the KB Fab, they better learn or lean on the BB design... rather than invent their own wheels.. like the glass backing of dtek 60). IMHO.
    12-19-16 08:34 AM
    Uh hum.. Long live Q10!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-16 09:03 AM
    Don't know what in house mean? My guess it might be in house design (certainly enough input on the kb side - material selection, process sequence and build detail - otherwise, you lost the BB touch and reliability - proven in the field by bbOS7 device many years over). As for the degree of out sourcing/licensing, there are different levels:
    (1) design by OEM - and build in house - the red z10 for example. OEM back all the liability and reliability (Made in Canada used to get better re-sale value even in 9xxx days).
    (2) design by OEM and build by CM (contract manufacturing) - the OEM dictate BOM (bill of material), build sequence, process, testing methodology etc. resume the liability of product. There is a huge benefit to do so - like apple "designed by apple in CA", MFG by chinese or others. Ideally, you want to have each economic block got one MFG facility to avoid full handset tariff, components, subassembly are taxed at much lower rate for import. you can negociate with gov if you bring in jobs to get better deal - like Irish. many over looked duty issues, only focus on the labour cost... with automation going, labour cost are very low except testing and reconfiguration for each carrier, however, the logistic is not easy to handle. if you have small market share, you can forget multiple MFG deals (too low volume, no body would be interested because the logistic overhead is too much).
    (3) contract out design to either design house or CM, it would be a customer design that carry the brand name. the deisgn house usually is one shot deal, you would need to tweak the design to be manufacturable. if it is CM customer design, they might already know what components to use based on what ever on the floor, that can share with other product they are making for other customers (may be like Blu or others), CM suppose to carry all the liability and reliability.. By nature of the CM business, you don't get cutting edge or bleeding edge stuff (since that is not share with other customer of CMs, going to incur more cost). The CM design, by default, are bit of average... you risk the in-mature design (CM usually are good MFG but not design... sometimes, copy two work well design and mix together may cause problems, EMI shielding, weight distribution, etc. a design not well thought of, but average).
    (4) re-branding... take a form/fit/function, tweak a bit - upgrade a processor, for example or add RAM, if it is proven design, it is low cost, low risk... hopefully the brand will carry some weight - like Thurmp tower. License the name of the brand - the other party (CM) will responsible for all the liability and reliability, marketing, end of life, etc. depend upon how the contract signed, it may or may not to prevent the brand in the future to make their own handset (that would be very bad). Hopefully, the licensee product will enhance the brand name rather than damage it... but you never know the risk (unless there are close supervision that written in the contracture agreement as part of damaging clause).
    Look like Mercury is between 1 and 2 (since TCL know nothing about the KB Fab, they better learn or lean on the BB design... rather than invent their own wheels.. like the glass backing of dtek 60). IMHO.
    Read post #57
    12-19-16 09:04 AM
    Holy crap use line breaks, and proofread.
    12-19-16 09:15 AM
    So TCL is indeed making the keyboard device it appears. So maybe not in house like we thought?
    Still could've been designed in-house. Did anyone actually say it would also be built in Waterloo? What's the difference if TCL builds it or Foxconn?
    12-19-16 09:45 PM
    What's the difference if TCL builds it or Foxconn?
    BlackBerry logo on the front, RGB LED, Hypervisor, Dark Hub, Lithuanian support. Pick one.
    12-19-16 10:04 PM
    BlackBerry logo on the front, RGB LED, Hypervisor, Dark Hub, Lithuanian support. Pick one.
    Since it's pretty much something only built for the BB branding, regardless of if it was designed by BB, TCL, or some kind of joint venture, I think at least this time we'll get the RGB. You may laugh at those who complain about that, but it is a pretty useful feature so I would be happy to see it.

The examples that came before, the Dtek 50 and 60 were based on designs TCL already had, so adding that would have required additional engineering. This shouldn't be the case unless coincidentally TCL was building a keyboard device before the whole BB deal, lol.

12-19-16 10:09 PM
    And a low price in India of course

Posted via CB10
    12-20-16 01:21 AM
    Since it's pretty much something only built for the BB branding, regardless of if it was designed by BB, TCL, or some kind of joint venture, I think at least this time we'll get the RGB. You may laugh at those who complain about that, but it is a pretty useful feature so I would be happy to see it.

The examples that came before, the Dtek 50 and 60 were based on designs TCL already had, so adding that would have required additional engineering. This shouldn't be the case unless coincidentally TCL was building a keyboard device before the whole BB deal, lol.

I forgot about toolbelt and trackpad in the list.

Come on, you're on CrackBerry way longer than I do, you KNOW better to respond to a post that says "hypervisor".
    12-20-16 07:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. Would not accept more than 251 Rupees for anything less than a Snapdragon 830.
    12-20-16 07:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Even free is too expensive.
    12-20-16 09:51 AM
    I forgot about toolbelt and trackpad in the list.

Come on, you're on CrackBerry way longer than I do, you KNOW better to respond to a post that says "hypervisor".
    I know you were joking, but still had a comment about the LED. Notice I didn't bother to respond to the rest, I think the RGB LED is actually a possibility...

12-20-16 02:41 PM
    Even free is too expensive.
    Of course, since it won't be the only form factor everyone in the world should prefer... Psh, stupid people with different preferences. When will they conform with the rest of the herd?

12-20-16 02:42 PM
93 ... 234