I came to Blackberry having used a variety of Psions.

It seems that it will be back back with an Android powered unit

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g...device-phone#/

Of course the software will be important - but imagine if Blackberry bought and 'hardened' this product.

Things have started to get interesting again.
    03-01-17 09:22 AM
    Looks very retro.....

Dual Boot Linux and Android... sounds like it won't be Google Approved. And yeah updates to the software would be very questionable.
    03-01-17 09:31 AM
    This is a keyboard to die for in a unit that will fit in a jacket.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 09:52 AM
    Looks very retro.....

Dual Boot Linux and Android... sounds like it won't be Google Approved. And yeah updates to the software would be very questionable.
    This is always an option I suppose: https://microg.org/

If anything BB10 aficionados can explore that route, just don't expect it to be supported by BlackBerry, I'm sure they're not allowed to even touch the runtime anymore.
    03-01-17 11:17 AM
    It will be very interesting to see what flavour of android is used - but they quote 'the latest version' - so. I presume this comes with all the usual Google Bells and whistles

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 12:24 PM
    Update from the campaign shows Android 7. I, too, owned just about every Psion they made, along with my Blackberrys, I relied on the strengths of each to get my work done. Hopefully this device will actually come to fruition.
    04-23-17 03:24 PM
    Reminds me of my old Jornada.

What I have been waiting for all these years - The (Psion) Gemini PDA?-img_20170414_113403r.jpg

I'm going to have to go take measurements to get a better sense of the keyboard size. That does look interesting.
    04-23-17 06:43 PM
    That keyboard would drive me nuts with the arrow key where the shift key should be. I've used a keyboard like that and ended up writing an AutoHotKey script to toggle the arrow key to become a shift key.

Fix that flaw though, and instead of making his own device he should take out the device--make it a clamshell keyboard you could stick any ol' slab in. What this thing has that most keyboard cases don't is a locking mechanism, which would allow usage without having to put the device down on a surface.
    04-23-17 07:49 PM
    That keyboard would drive me nuts with the arrow key where the shift key should be. I've used a keyboard like that and ended up writing an AutoHotKey script to toggle the arrow key to become a shift key.

Fix that flaw though, and instead of making his own device he should take out the device--make it a clamshell keyboard you could stick any ol' slab in. What this thing has that most keyboard cases don't is a locking mechanism, which would allow usage without having to put the device down on a surface.
    I hadn't looked closely at the keyboard. The return key would drive me insane. It looks narrower than the one on the Jornada.
    04-23-17 08:42 PM
    I've backed this and really hope it comes off...my old series 5 was the most useful device I ever owned for being productive. It was way ahead of its time.
    04-23-17 11:47 PM
    I hope this goes well. I miss the days of smallish version of laptops. This time these can be more functional.

Over the years the drift on smartphones has been more about entertainment rather than work. They need to concentrate on the business aspect and productivity.
    04-24-17 04:18 AM
    Could someone please move this thread to somewhere else?
    04-24-17 04:22 AM
    Could someone please move this thread to somewhere else?
    Why? Just ignore it if you don't like it

Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport™
    04-24-17 04:39 AM
    I just don't see it taking off. We've moved to essentially a 1 device type of world. Numerous posts all over talk about how a person typed their entire life via a phone.
    Carrying two devices where one is not a full featured laptop I think will not go to far.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-24-17 06:07 AM
    I would put the typing speed of this keyboard against my PRIV or K1 speed when it comes out. I just don't see the need for a device like this. I understand having the wider screen for editing spreadsheets but I rarely do that on my mobile device. Laptops have gotten so light and quick to boot that if I need to get serious with a spreadsheet or do something my PRIV keyboard can't handle I would quickly pull it out of my car.

Personally don't see the need for the device but would still like to see it when released.
    04-24-17 10:27 AM
    I just don't see it taking off. We've moved to essentially a 1 device type of world. Numerous posts all over talk about how a person typed their entire life via a phone.
    Carrying two devices where one is not a full featured laptop I think will not go to far.
    I agree. Some folks' nostalgia has made them oblivious to the fact that this device has nearly all of the limits of a smartphone (screen size in particular) without even all of the functionality. A smartphone can do everything this can do and more, and those needing a PKB that can be touch-typed on will prefer the much larger screen and much more powerful CPU/GPU that are found in a laptop. Very few people are going to carry two devices that are so similar. We've moved on beyond the need for these PDA devices (separate from smartphones).
    04-24-17 11:22 AM
    The Gemini seems like a great device. If it had a secondary external LCD or e-ink display that would allow it to easily work as a phone, it would be a near perfect device for me. As of this moment, the device that has caught my interest is the Portable Gaming System (PGS). It runs (full) Windows 10 and Android; and has the option of a secondary display or hardware keyboard. However, there are some legitimate concerns about the likelihood of this device actually being produced.

PGS LAB

In the meanwhile, please bring on the KEYone.
    04-24-17 11:36 AM
    Why? Just ignore it if you don't like it

Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport™
    I think it's a great device! But it just doesn't have anything to do with the KEYone 😅😅
    04-24-17 11:52 AM
    I agree. Some folks' nostalgia has made them oblivious to the fact that this device has nearly all of the limits of a smartphone (screen size in particular) without even all of the functionality. A smartphone can do everything this can do and more, and those needing a PKB that can be touch-typed on will prefer the much larger screen and much more powerful CPU/GPU that are found in a laptop. Very few people are going to carry two devices that are so similar. We've moved on beyond the need for these PDA devices (separate from smartphones).
    What more? With a sim card, the Gemini can make and receive calls too.

As for the form factor, I'm pondering a GPD Win or Mini myself. Should be great for conventions, waiting rooms, and other on the go situations where I want more than a phone but still need it to be hand-held. For one, I can't play Neptunia on any phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-17 01:08 PM