Anyone here have any experience using a Dual SIM android phone in NA?

I've always wanted one so that I can keep my personal and work numbers on a single device but never saw a phone that I wanted that supported it... until I saw the India KEYone!

Now I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and trying to import one to Canada since it supports the same LTE bands. But before doing so, I want to make sure the dual sim will work so looking for some real world experiences.

I'd it managed through software? Which sim does it draw the data plan from? How do messaging apps handle texts coming in to two different numbers?

Thanks for your input!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-19-17 10:06 AM
    They don't both work at the same time , you will have to change to which he one you want to use
    08-19-17 10:13 AM
    actually they work perfectly! I used an s7 edge duos with an att line and a Vodafone line
    08-19-17 10:23 AM
    My understanding is one SIM needs to be selected to be responsible for data but both are active to receive calls/SMS.
    08-19-17 10:35 AM
    actually they work perfectly! I used an s7 edge duos with an att line and a Vodafone line
    Thanks sharing! So you get calls and texts from both lines into your s7 without having to change any software settings right? And is data driven by the sim that you select?
    08-19-17 10:42 AM
    Yes u got it! It's actually pretty neat. Used a dual device once and it allows work and personal lines....better organized. Android is designed for dual sim devices. When u send texts or calls, a pop up will appear asking which sim u want to use. Its pretty cool.
    FF22 and portplayer like this.
    08-19-17 10:52 AM
    Yes u got it! It's actually pretty neat. Used a dual device once and it allows work and personal lines....better organized. Android is designed for dual sim devices. When u send texts or calls, a pop up will appear asking which sim u want to use. Its pretty cool.
    Thanks! So it sounds like it's all managed by software. In the case of the KEYone, is the sim tray physically the same and you're essentially putting two Sims in there instead of a sim and SD card? Is it basically the software (and the spec bump) that differentiates the India version from the NA and EU models?
    08-19-17 10:55 AM
    I want this badly in north america. im waiting to see what this other black keyone about to be anounced turns out being. it makes sense that it would be the same phone as the indian variant since they clearly already have an assembly line in china for this. im certain it will be 4gb ram and 64gb storage. dual sim might get axxed, but if it doesnt it seems safer to import from europe than india right? are dual sim phones popular in the eu? or is it asia only? in the us ive only seen them in prepaid "burner" phone situations.
    08-19-17 01:01 PM
    and how in the world does the phone receive txts from both lines? There is only 1 cellular modem... how it connects to 2 diferent services at once is confusing to me. does it bounce between them rapidly?
    08-19-17 01:02 PM
    and how in the world does the phone receive txts from both lines? There is only 1 cellular modem... how it connects to 2 diferent services at once is confusing to me. does it bounce between them rapidly?
    I also don't understand the mechanics behind it, but based on the replies in this thread, it just works so that's good enough for me!

I've put up my EU KEYone on the CB marketplace for trade in exchange of the dual SIM version in hopes of getting my hands on one.

There doesn't seem to be any other options of getting this phone other then Amazon India and they don't deliver to Canada. I'd much rather deal with a trusted member of the CB community than roll the dice with some nameless vendor out there.

It's an extremely long shot but I've got to try!
    anon(870071) likes this.
    08-19-17 01:14 PM
    maybe wait till that IFA event in a couple weeks to see if an international version is launched?
    FF22 likes this.
    08-19-17 01:44 PM
    You physically put two sims in there or one sim and memory card. Yes its managed by android. ITs the bumped up specs thats different thats all.
    08-19-17 03:10 PM
    maybe wait till that IFA event in a couple weeks to see if an international version is launched?
    Good idea. My only reservation is if Optiemus has the exclusive licensing rights to the black, dual sim KEYone. Do they only operate in the India market?
    08-19-17 03:33 PM
    So in the United States, would a dual Sim phone work for all big 4 (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile) being that GSM and CDMA are different? For example, if I have a personal Sim from AT&T and a work Sim from Sprint; would that work or would it have to be two sims from a CDMA carrier, like Sprint and Verizon together?
    08-19-17 04:22 PM
    That's how it works here in Canada.
    08-20-17 08:43 PM
    So in the United States, would a dual Sim phone work for all big 4 (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile) being that GSM and CDMA are different? For example, if I have a personal Sim from AT&T and a work Sim from Sprint; would that work or would it have to be two sims from a CDMA carrier, like Sprint and Verizon together?
    Maybe if you can find a phone with a CDMA Radio, and it supports DUAL SIMS. Most the world is GSM so very few reasons to make a dual SIM CDMA phone.
    08-21-17 08:29 AM
    You will received text message on one line only. Unless the message sender sends it to your 2 numbers, you will received 2 msg notifications.

****Berry
    08-21-17 09:39 AM
    You will received text message on one line only. Unless the message sender sends it to your 2 numbers, you will received 2 msg notifications.

****Berry
    Ok that makes more sense, but what about calls? does only 1 line go through?
    08-21-17 10:14 AM
    See post 2, you have to change between them, so only the one activated.
    08-21-17 10:16 AM
    Take a look at this article from Android Central. https://m.androidcentral.com/use-dua...oaming-charges

This writer was using the OnePlus 5, but if the KEYone is using the latest Dual-SIM technology, the same capabilities should apply. Calls and SMS on both, data on the main SIM only.
    fop518 likes this.
    08-21-17 10:22 AM
    Technically speaking since the BBB100-7 lacks a cdma radio one could only get LTE data if using a CDMA (Sprint or Verizon) SIM card. Whether either of those carriers will activate in that specific non-cdma device is unknown though. GSM iPhones have activated Verizon SIM cards but for data only. You can't make calls or SMS over cdma radio.
    08-21-17 10:24 AM
    Technically speaking since the BBB100-7 lacks a cdma radio one could only get LTE data if using a CDMA (Sprint or Verizon) SIM card. Whether either of those carriers will activate in that specific non-cdma device is unknown though. GSM iPhones have activated Verizon SIM cards but for data only. You can't make calls or SMS over cdma radio.
    What I'm trying to ask is if I have AT&T for my personal cell and Sprint for my work cell; has there ever been a dual Sim phone (regardless of it being a BlackBerry or not) that worked for both GSM and CDMA at the same time?
    08-21-17 01:19 PM
    Yes and no. BlackBerry made many cdma "world" phones meaning they use cdma and gsm. They were sold only through Verizon or sprint directly I believe so though technically the phone could have a GSM SIM card in it and the phones device ID could be registered on a cdma network concurrently IDK if one could actually use both networks at once. The cdma carrier probably would not provision the phone settings by default to enable that.
    08-21-17 02:21 PM
    Yes and no. BlackBerry made many cdma "world" phones meaning they use cdma and gsm. They were sold only through Verizon or sprint directly I believe so though technically the phone could have a GSM SIM card in it and the phones device ID could be registered on a cdma network concurrently IDK if one could actually use both networks at once. The cdma carrier probably would not provision the phone settings by default to enable that.
    Exactly, M-M-M, not both at once on the older devices. I had Verizon 9630, 9650, 9850 and 9930 for work running on vzw cdma and my TMO sim was in the Sim slot. You could flip radios via setting, just as you explained above, but not both at the same time.
    My trick was to use Google vm and I'd get an email if any personal messages came through. I could just toggle services and return personal calls on my TMO line.

As far as dual SIM gsm lines, I had a Microsoft 640xl dual SIM and, as others have posted, you just needed to set what sim handles your data. But if you received call or text on either number, it would show on the appropriate line.

As far as new devices, I don't have the personal experience yet to confirm or deny how it would work. I'd suspect if the frequency for Sprint/VZW is built in the device, you'd have to get those carriers to load the IMEI in their database to Grant you access to their Network.
    portplayer and fop518 like this.
    08-21-17 05:40 PM
    I've been reading rumors that the BBB100-7 dual sim KEYone will behave like the Microsoft phone you mentioned. I can live with only one data being connected at a time but it would be nice to have talk text and data function concurrently for both lines at once. What are you gonna do though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    bunky1971 likes this.
    08-21-17 06:14 PM
34 12