A major question I have is whether or not BlackBerry will use USB Type-C connectors, finally. Hopefully 3.1

The connector can't cost much more to implement. To hold back again in order to integrate better in a business environment fleet of handsets would be a mistake.

The only reason I didn't grab an S7 is because of the micro USB port, which I loathe.
    04-24-16 07:07 PM
    The only reason I didn't grab an S7 is because of the micro USB port, which I loathe.
    For me, this is the reason why I grabbed the S7, and not the G5 or Nexus 5X or 6P, because I have a bunch of micro USB cables and chargers which will be a waste if I don't get a phone with a micro USB port. I think the USB Type-C is great, although it seems that the market isn't ready yet, unless you are already using USB Type-C on your home or office.
    CDM76 and Gajja like this.
    04-24-16 07:29 PM
    For me, this is the reason why I grabbed the S7, and not the G5 or Nexus 5X or 6P, because I have a bunch of micro USB cables and chargers which will be a waste if I don't get a phone with a micro USB port. I think the USB Type-C is great, although it seems that the market isn't ready yet, unless you are already using USB Type-C on your home or office.
    Really? I suppose I have a bunch of micro usb cables, but I'm itching to escape them. I loathe micro-Usb. Though mini was fine. Funny, the only micro-usb cables I like are my BB ones. Still.

Type-C has a bunch of connectivity, transfer speed, and charging benefits, however. Plus, it's a very durable, solid connector.
    04-24-16 10:12 PM
    Nothing is "ever" ready for the market until they tell you it's ready. Apple uses type-c so will the others, get with the wave or stay behind it

J� Be....Here But Gone...
    04-24-16 10:20 PM
    It probably depends on where you live in. There in the US, most might have gone USB Type-C but us here in a small Pacific Island, almost everyone is on micro USB. Most people here, esp. those not into tech might have not heard anything about it. So For ME, it's still relevant.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-24-16 10:56 PM
    I use wireless charging...

The only times I've used the usb on my Classic are the very few times I needed a charge on the go. But other than that, it's pretty much brand new, haha.

But yes, I know what you're griping about, it's the reason wireless charging was so important for me. The micro-USB jack gets really loose after a while if you use it a lot...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    ronfc likes this.
    04-25-16 10:53 AM
    I'd wait for this to stabilize, personally.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-25-16 12:10 PM
    I'd wait for this to stabilize, personally.
    yeah, there are bad usb c cables out there. just be careful and read reviews. though even Apple recalled and replaced their usb-c to usb-c cable that came with the first gen new macbook

Posted via CB10
    04-25-16 03:47 PM
    Really? I suppose I have a bunch of micro usb cables, but I'm itching to escape them. I loathe micro-Usb. Though mini was fine. Funny, the only micro-usb cables I like are my BB ones. Still.

Type-C has a bunch of connectivity, transfer speed, and charging benefits, however. Plus, it's a very durable, solid connector.
    You do know Micro was actually designed to address the wear issue on Mini right? Mini has the durability of tofu.
    04-25-16 04:20 PM
    You do know Micro was actually designed to address the wear issue on Mini right? Mini has the durability of tofu.
    Yes, I know. I've never had a mini cable give out on me, and I always liked how satisfyingly solid they felt in comparison to micro, but then I never have used them to charge my phones.
    04-25-16 04:42 PM
    That's fair enough but if everyone did the same as you there would be no market for USB C what needs to happen is for manufactures to release new handsets with a USB C port to force the market to upgrade.

Something inside of me is saying that potentially there is something wrong or a reason behind why is hasn't been implemented already
    05-01-16 04:26 PM
    I would bank on BlackBerry releasing a micro USB connection for the 2 upcoming devices.

While USB type c is great, there are some issues with connectors out there. I feel that 2017 will be the year we see much more USB c type devices.

Posted via BlackBerry Leap OS 10.3.2.2839
    05-14-16 09:24 AM
    That's fair enough but if everyone did the same as you there would be no market for USB C what needs to happen is for manufactures to release new handsets with a USB C port to force the market to upgrade.

Something inside of me is saying that potentially there is something wrong or a reason behind why is hasn't been implemented already
    The reason is that most of the world already uses micro usb. Port changes are only attractive to power users

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 05:09 AM
    Personally I love the potential USB-C brings.
    • USB 3.1 Support
    • Alternate Mode to Thunderbolt 3 (it has a speed of PCI-E 3.0 x4; theoretically being able to dock an external GPU on an ultrabook)
    • USB Power Delivery 2.x ( USB's implementation of fast charging as an industry standard as opposed to Qualcomm's proprietary standard and even breaking the USB spec in the process ),
    • Data and Charging co-existence ( USB-C allows you to charge AND sync data at full speed; you can also turn all USB-C hosts into charger as they can provide power... so if you plug a phone to a tablet that both uses USB-C, you can turn the tablet into a powerbank).
    05-17-16 07:30 PM
    Personally I love the potential USB-C brings.
    • USB 3.1 Support
    • Alternate Mode to Thunderbolt 3 (it has a speed of PCI-E 3.0 x4; theoretically being able to dock an external GPU on an ultrabook)
    • USB Power Delivery 2.x ( USB's implementation of fast charging as an industry standard as opposed to Qualcomm's proprietary standard and even breaking the USB spec in the process ),
    • Data and Charging co-existence ( USB-C allows you to charge AND sync data at full speed; you can also turn all USB-C hosts into charger as they can provide power... so if you plug a phone to a tablet that both uses USB-C, you can turn the tablet into a powerbank).
    re thunderbolt 3: it's not theoretical, razer makes a thunderbolt 3 external gpu enclosure for ultrabooks! coming out soon.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 08:01 PM
    USB-C is nice to use...not having to worry about which way is up. I don't use it much as I wireless charge but when I do it's overall better. I'm only looking at phones that have USB-C for the next phone I pick up for my wife.
    05-18-16 12:42 PM
    They should have made the port backwards compatible. USB 2 fast is great, i don't really see any advantage to antiquating the 20 or 30 chargers i already have strewn throughout my home or office. Proprietary connections suck, there is enough land fill involved in the electronics biz. Everything should have a standardized port and wireless charging. If the tech evolves that's fine but it would be nice if it was unlicensed and standardized to make charging and any data transfer simple and ubiquitous.
    05-21-16 12:08 AM
    They should have made the port backwards compatible. USB 2 fast is great, i don't really see any advantage to antiquating the 20 or 30 chargers i already have strewn throughout my home or office. Proprietary connections suck, there is enough land fill involved in the electronics biz. Everything should have a standardized port and wireless charging. If the tech evolves that's fine but it would be nice if it was unlicensed and standardized to make charging and any data transfer simple and ubiquitous.
    USB Type-C is not a "proprietary" connector. It's THE universal connector. They're on almost every modern laptop these days, half the high end phones being released, and Google, Nokia, and Apple were early pushers of Type-C in their netbooks, ultrabooks, tablets, Nexus phones...

If only Samsung had gone C...

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 12:27 AM
    USB type-C is the natural next step from micro and it really isn't that inconvenient. Cables are easily replaced and to say the "market isn't ready yet" is pretty absurd. USB standards are always backwards compatible so aside from using a different cable and possibly having to buy an adapter there is nothing you need to be ready for.

USB type-C is actually a good thing for blackberry because it is a direction to a more a universal standard. Universal standards are better for the little guys and perhaps a bit of a leap but moves like these could be the first into a greater universal market place and app standards for cell phones. This will open the market for any player to compete instead of Apple/Android dominating but we might be a few years off from that.
    deadcowboy likes this.
    08-02-16 04:08 AM
    Okay, dumbo question - if the phone is a usbC connection and your pc/laptop is USB other than C, and you want to connect to your pc how do you do that?

Wouldn't it mean that you can't use the BlackBerry oem cord that comes with a device that supplies it?

I can see the scenario where the BlackBerry phone may be usbC but not the PC and you want to attach phone to pc in order to say transfer photos or music.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    09-22-16 05:57 AM
    Okay, dumbo question - if the phone is a usbC connection and your pc/laptop is USB other than C, and you want to connect to your pc how do you do that?

Wouldn't it mean that you can't use the BlackBerry oem cord that comes with a device that supplies it?

I can see the scenario where the BlackBerry phone may be usbC but not the PC and you want to attach phone to pc in order to say transfer photos or music.

USB C is backwards compatible, so you can use a 'standard' USB A to USB C cable. That won't support quickcharge, though, as USB A is limited to 1.2mA if I recall correctly.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    09-22-16 02:12 PM

USB type A to USB type C cable, like so: https://store.google.com/product/usb...d_a_plug_cable

Although, the benefits progressively degrade moving from actual 3.1 to 3.0 to 2.0.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    09-22-16 02:43 PM
    USB-C is better than micro USB in every way, except it's a little bigger. But the reversible connector is greeeeeeeeaaaaaaaatttttttt!
    09-23-16 07:43 AM
    USB-C is better than micro USB in every way, except it's a little bigger. But the reversible connector is greeeeeeeeaaaaaaaatttttttt!
    I totally agree. I'm glad the days are gone of being 1/4 awake in bed trying to plug in my phone in the dark and almost destroying the microusb port.
    09-23-16 08:16 AM