I love PKB so bad, but this new upcoming phone has poor specs for me. I don't consider it as an upgrade for my Priv

Posted via Passport SE
    12-31-16 01:36 AM
    I think part of the issue with this thread is using the term "upgrade". For some who desperately need a new phone to replace their Classic or Passport, this is a definite upgrade. For those looking to switch from the Priv, this device may be more of just an "update".

We're fairly confident the screen resolution is only going to be 1080 which not as good as the Priv's 2560, and it seems the chipset is going to be the 625 which on paper is not as good as the 808 (though I am really in no way impressed with the 808 performance) and I'll assume the Merc will have 3 gigs of ram (wash) and 3400mah battery (wash).

But what you're going to get here is updated hardware (meaning actual production build hardware) which hopefully will be of better quality than the Priv (which has lots of moving parts), updated Camera modules and updated software (N). I'll assume we'll also see some update to the CPU/GPU over the Priv as it's been about a year and a half since Priv production.

So all in all, are you getting an upgrade from the Priv? In a technical sense, probably not, the closest thing to an upgraded Priv is likely a Dtek60 --- excluding the keyboard of course. But you are likely getting a nice updated phone which, depending on hands on performance/reviews once we get the phone, could be an upgrade.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    12-31-16 06:55 AM
    For someone who loved the Classic, I strangely do not find that phone attractive.
    12-31-16 07:16 AM
    The Priv was announced, pre-order up a month later, then available a month after that.

The DTEK50 was available for pre-order at announcement and I believe shipped out weeks after.

The DTEK60 was available at announcement.

Did I get that right?
    Priv was first shown all the way back in March, and launched in November. Part of the reason why people say it's under-speced, because it was released at an awkward time in between the 810-820 changeover.
    12-31-16 08:39 AM
    The Mercury will have a 8mp front view camera whereas the PRIV's front view camera is only 2mp. Both have a 18mp rear view camera.
    12-31-16 09:44 AM
    Priv was first shown all the way back in March, and launched in November. Part of the reason why people say it's under-speced, because it was released at an awkward time in between the 810-820 changeover.
    I guess that's true, they did quickly tease it earlier on. It just wasn't officially announced with name and all that until September. Guess it comes down to how you look at it. Hopefully with TCL's help, those days of long delays are gone.
    12-31-16 10:52 AM
    Im looking and thinking how guys can say the priv keyboard is bad, it's brilliant actually and in line with the passport.

From performance point of view it's not an upgrade, it's like we've moved side ways with a tiny step above. So we moved diagonally so to say.

Wouldv liked an 821 stuck into it.

How ever , with that said. Il still be buying it.
    12-31-16 12:13 PM
    If BB can iron out their software, then this phone should be more than fine with the 625.
    My Moto X with the same SoC and RAM as the Priv is SIGNIFICANTLY smoother than the Priv entirely due to the software.
    The only thing i am hoping for (although i doubt it will happen) is an AMOLED display.
    12-31-16 01:59 PM
    The Priv heat issue is more than likely a factor in why people are looking to switch from the Priv to the mercury. The Priv is a nice phone, but start doing stuff that taxes the cpu and you can feel the phone heat up even through a case. I don't trust using Hotspot on the Priv, as the back of the phone heats up quickly. If Verizon does carry the mercury, then I will consider the mercury for the phone factor, even if it a small downgrade in cpu and screen size.
    I'm glad I am not the only one! I never play games, and yet my phone heats up all the time. Combined with the always-there physical keyboard, and I'm thinking I might get a Mercury.
    12-31-16 03:23 PM
    When I was moving to the Priv from the Classic, I was dreading the size. This would be my 1st 'candy bar' phone. Having been using the Priv it has 'shrunk' considerably. I would not go back to the always out PKB form factor. My experience with the Priv has totally changed how I felt. I would have bet money back then that I would never had felt this way.
    Going to the Mercury would be a downgrade for me. This slide out PKB is the best of both worlds IMO.
    I'm in the same boat as you 100%. And this is someone who was coming from Tour to Bold to Q10 to Classic and thought I'd hate the PRIV. But I love it. Slide out keyboard is a fair trade off to have the much necessary extra real estate. I'm not even considering Mercury at this point.

Oh, and it's a pretty safe bet the Mercury will have the same over heating issues as all of the previous Blackberry's. The heating has been an issue for me on every BlackBerry I've used since Q10.
    01-01-17 02:26 PM
35 12