Hi again. I have so many charging cables, all Micro USB.
    Is it fine to just use an adapter to plug onto my cables for the most part ??
    04-30-17 01:24 PM
    The adapter must have a 56k resistor in it. Don't just get any cheap adapter.
    04-30-17 02:15 PM
    Thanks.
    Will probably get a proper cord, but just have so many chargers in many different (convenient) locations ...
    04-30-17 02:21 PM
    Aukey and Anker adapters with the 56k resistor work fine.
    04-30-17 03:15 PM
    The 56K resistor issue only apples to USB-C cables used to a connect to a USB Type-A Port on a computer. Older cables my use a lower value 10K resister.

An article by CNET suggests the concerns raised by a Google (software?) engineer may have more to do with supporting manufactures of the more expensive USB-C certified cables than it has to do with the actual risk of damaging your computer from having your device attempt to draw more current than it can safely supply.

In any case this shouldn't be an issue if you are using a micro USB to USB-C adapter in order to adapt an existing charger to use with your phone.
    04-30-17 03:21 PM
    The 56K resistor issue only apples to USB-C cables used to a connect to a USB Type-A Port on a computer. Older cables my use a lower value 10K resister.

An article by CNET suggests the concerns raised by a Google (software?) engineer may have more to do with supporting manufactures of the more expensive USB-C certified cables than it has to do with the actual risk of damaging your computer from having your device attempt to draw more current than it can safely supply.

In any case this shouldn't be an issue if you are using a micro USB to USB-C adapter in order to adapt an existing charger to use with your phone.
    Do you have a link to the article?
    04-30-17 06:27 PM
    Do you have a link to the article?
    Here's the one about the Google engineer discouraging the use of third party cables: How to Buy USB Type-C Cables That Won’t Fry Your Gadgets

I got a bit skeptical about his motives after I read "A folded and stamped connector, North (a product manager) explained, is usually made of zinc tin alloy which is easily broken and may not handle the cable's power requirements". He was referring to the large size USB type A connectors which plug into a computer or a charging cube.

I thought "don't all USB connectors have an interlocking seam one side?" I checked most of my USB cables and found that all of them are in excellent condition, but the brand name ones from BlackBerry and Apple didn't have a seam. But then they cost a lot more than the third party cables I've had for years and show no sign of wear or damage.

Here's the CNET article questioning the seriousness of the issue: https://www.cnet.com/news/usb-type-c-cable-problems/
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 04-30-17 at 07:15 PM.
    04-30-17 06:50 PM
    Here's the one about the Google engineer discouraging the use of third party cables: How to Buy USB Type-C Cables That Won’t Fry Your Gadgets

I got a bit skeptical about his motives after I read "A folded and stamped connector, North (a product manager) explained, is usually made of zinc tin alloy which is easily broken and may not handle the cable's power requirements". He was referring to the large size USB type A connectors which plug into a computer or a charging cube.

I thought "don't all USB connectors have an interlocking seam one side?" I checked most of my USB cables and found that all of them are in excellent condition, but the brand name ones from BlackBerry and Apple didn't have a seam. But then they cost a lot more than the third party cables I've had for years and show no sign of wear or damage.

Here's the CNET article questioning the seriousness of the issue: https://www.cnet.com/news/usb-type-c-cable-problems/
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I want to take the risk though.
    05-01-17 12:17 PM
    I've been using a bunch of different ones fine. In general, Playbook chargers with adapters for DTEK60. Also use it in car with BB car charger.
    05-01-17 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I want to take the risk though.
    Understanding the issues and the facts helps to minimize the risk.
    05-01-17 01:40 PM