A lot of people seem very unhappy that Blackberry chose a processor designed to give a better battery life instead of a processor with the best possible performance. I think the fetishization of processor speed may be missing a point though.

Obviously, some people may be running very processor intensive games or applications that require as much performance as possible. It seems likely to me, however, that this represents a very small segment of Blackberry's market.

For me, the question isn't how does the processor on the KeyOne compare to the latest offerings from Apple or Samsung or whoever. I'm much more interested in how the processor on the KeyOne compares to the Passport.

The Passport has been my daily driver for a couple of years now, and it's handled every processing task that I've thrown at it. I'm not a serious gamer, but I do play some android games and I've never had a hiccup with them (even though they're being run on an android emulation layer). So if I can get the same or better performance from the Keyone, I think I'll be quite happy with it.

FWIW, I did find one benchmark comparison between the Passport's and Keyone's processors that suggested the Keyone's processor had upr to 1.7 x the performance of the Passport's (though I'm not sure of the benchmark's details). Regardless, It seems that for my needs and usage the processor will likely be more than sufficient.

So I guess the question I have for the naysayers is this: what will you be unable to do on the Keyone that you are able to do on another phone with a faster processor? What apps or tasks wont function well on the Keyone?

Some of you may have very good answers to those questions, and if so it would indeed seem that it's not the phone for you. For me, it seems like a really good possibility to replace my Passport.
    Insync and gritsinct like this.
    04-05-17 01:42 PM
    The fact is, they choose a price point, and jammed the best they could into it.

The could have used a higher SoC, a better camera, better speakers, better screen, etc, etc. - but that would have blown their budget.

The bottom line is, this is the overall package they are offering for the price. Take it or leave it. They feel it's the best mix of components for the target market. Agree or disagree all you want. One device will never satisfy everyone.
    04-05-17 01:46 PM
    FWIW, I did find one benchmark comparison between the Passport's and Keyone's processors that suggested the Keyone's processor had upr to 1.7 x the performance of the Passport's (though I'm not sure of the benchmark's details). Regardless, It seems that for my needs and usage the processor will likely be more than sufficient.
    Well, in all fairness you would have (according to that benchmark) 1.7x performance between the two SoC ALL THINGS EQUAL... however here you have two difference operating systems so the comparison isn't quite direct... still, I see your point but don't expect the KEYone performance 1.7x better than the Passport's...
    04-05-17 01:55 PM
    Having had some time to play with a pre-production KEYone, I didn't notice even a little bit of lag, even with multiple apps open, swapping back and forth, and other things that I tried to replicate my daily use of a device. Granted, I don't play (many) processor-intensive games, so my interest was more how it would handle my normal usage. Assuming the final production units are similar, I'm very much looking forward to having a versatile and quick device with a long-lasting battery and a constantly-available pkb.
    04-05-17 02:01 PM
    If you're purely comparing games only, snapdragon 625 isn't the greatest. I have passport with me and other smartphones with snapdragon 625. I can download the game for you and compare them tonight. What game are you playing?

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 02:16 PM
    I'm happy with it. It will be more than enough for my needs. The Snapdragon S4 Plus ran all the games I wanted on my Blackberry Leap 😃 and that is a old processor now. I'm happy that they aimed for great battery life.

I was speaking to a guy in my class about it and when I said it could last 2 days on a charge. There was so much disbelief in his eyes and I would be awesome to prove him wrong

As others have said, I think Blackberry chose a price point and made the device the best it could be within that budget. Which is normally the best way to do things.
    04-05-17 02:29 PM
    The chipset,processor, camera choice are very good, also the battery is great but 4GB RAM was better, just like they did on the dtek60. I also hope it has stereo speakers but for the rest the device with 3GB RAM is fine for daily use. I hope the lens of the camera is also good otherwise the camera will be rubish
    04-05-17 02:37 PM
    For myself, it's about balance and as long as the software runs smooth with minimal lagging, and the hardware performs well, I am good with it.

Everyone always wants the fastest and most current processor and I think you never can keep up with technology.

For me it's a one year commitment and after a year or so, I am looking for something different. Though the Keyone is a different animal and if Blackberry keeps up with the updates and the device still performs well down the road, this may be one device I will be using for a while.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-05-17 02:49 PM
    Having had some time to play with a pre-production KEYone, I didn't notice even a little bit of lag, even with multiple apps open, swapping back and forth, and other things that I tried to replicate my daily use of a device. Granted, I don't play (many) processor-intensive games, so my interest was more how it would handle my normal usage. Assuming the final production units are similar, I'm very much looking forward to having a versatile and quick device with a long-lasting battery and a constantly-available pkb.
    I wouldn't say none. There was a little bit of lag, but not really noticeable.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-05-17 02:51 PM

The could have used a higher SoC, a better camera, better speakers, better screen, etc, etc. - but that would have blown their budget.

The bottom line is, this is the overall package they are offering for the price. Take it or leave it. They feel it's the best mix of components for the target market. Agree or disagree all you want. One device will never satisfy everyone.
    Ah, where's the fun in that? Reason has no place in the SOC wars!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-05-17 03:01 PM
    For me the keyone's processor is pretty good. It has enough power for my needs and it doesn't consumt that much power so the battery will last quite long. Perfect for my needs.
    04-05-17 03:08 PM
    There's nothing wrong with the processor. The 625 is power efficient and powerful.

It will certainly make for a better experience than the Passport and the Priv.

Just not the Dtek60, or other devices hundreds of dollars less.

The problem isn't the processor, it's the price they're charging for it.
    04-05-17 03:19 PM

The problem isn't the processor, it's the price they're charging for it.
    And since there's nothing comparable from anyone else, it's very difficult to judge and make any assertions about pricing.

All we know for sure is that TCL's entire history is based around aggressive pricing.
    gritsinct likes this.
    04-05-17 03:52 PM
    All we know for sure is that TCL's entire history is based around aggressive pricing.
    That's a very salient point, though it will likely be lost in all the noise around here.

A sober assessment of business reality is to Crackberrians as climate science is to the fossil fuel industry -- an annoyance to be brushed aside with alternative facts.

Adam Frix and Drael646464 like this.
    04-05-17 04:01 PM
    As long as it is better then the Priv I will be okay with it. Lag and slowness made the Priv unusable to me after about a month.
    04-05-17 06:29 PM
    I wouldn't say none. There was a little bit of lag, but not really noticeable.

Would you please elaborate?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-05-17 06:33 PM
    So I guess the question I have for the naysayers is this: what will you be unable to do on the Keyone that you are able to do on another phone with a faster processor? What apps or tasks wont function well on the Keyone?
    "WE WON'T HAVE BRAGGING RIGHTS! WE WON'T HAVE MOAR BIGGER NUMBER!!!!!!!!"

And that's about it.
    04-05-17 07:15 PM
    Snapdragon 625 is already proven for best bang for bucks!

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 07:20 PM
    Would you please elaborate?
    Well, like for example, one time while trying to rotate the phone to show the browser in landscape, I guess the page was still loading so it rotated but the screen went a bit discombobulated for a second before everything kind of fell into place in landscape instead of the normal smooth rotating animation. Just little things really. The device I was using had unfinished software though, and had a bunch of apps open at the same time, so maybe the final version under normal use would be better, but either way it wasn't anything I'd stress over...

04-05-17 11:35 PM
    That's a very salient point, though it will likely be lost in all the noise around here.

A sober assessment of business reality is to Crackberrians as climate science is to the fossil fuel industry -- an annoyance to be brushed aside with alternative facts.

Lost on only some of the noise around here!

Posted via CB10
    04-05-17 11:42 PM
    3GB of RAM and the silver forehead were mistakes. Not critical. But still bad.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-17 12:05 AM
    Snapdragon 625 is already proven for best bang for bucks!

Posted via CB10
    While the price says the opposite.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-17 02:15 AM

Most of the thoughful reviewers to this point have opined that the combination of the 625 processor with the larger battery and related features/software is an intelligent choice. It addresses an important productivity aspect: dependability.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-17 05:35 AM
    While the price says the opposite.

Posted via CB10
    "bang for the buck" includes the price in that whole evaluation.

So yeah, "bang for the buck".
    04-06-17 10:00 AM
    There's nothing wrong with the processor. The 625 is power efficient and powerful.
    This.. 1000x this.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-06-17 11:26 AM
71 123