- I upgraded from a Classic

- Upgrade was smooth

- Keyboard is fine but the keyboard shortcut and conveience key shortcut do not give me two really important options (1) back button - the back button is a touch button and when I would like it lower OR a button shortcut for efficiency and (2) the send button for emails is at the top right of the screen!! [if anyone knows a way around this please let me know]

- It will take me a while to get over no trackpad/cursor

- I set it up as power saving and made it as efficient as possible because battery life and longevity is important to me

- Camera is sharp! Have not really put it to the test but all good

- Media playing is great, switching videos and very high quality playback IMO

- Whatsapp on BB10 is more efficient than on Android

- I really like that the phone 'requests my permission' all the time. I feel like I know what's running in the background and it's really smooth

- I logged on remotely to my work email through Blackberry Work and Google Chrome and it was really quick

- Generally I find everything so fast and I don't feel the phone lags when multiple apps are open

- The scrolling over the keys is not really they brilliant, it may take some getting used to. I may sound like a fossil but I miss the trackpad

- Handset call quality is ok but speaker did not sound as crisp, it may just be my connection

- finger print sensor works like a charm, I set it as my thumb

- Hub is as brilliant as ever but I don't know if it's possible to have the BB10 feature when you can just press on the right of an email to delete it.. with K1 you have to swipe to delete (which is OK but I preferred a button) I guess it's less likely you'll delete by accident now

- Really can't wait for a good phone case

- I think K1 gives users a balance between flash and efficiency, the latter being more important to me

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert nor have great technical knowledge but will try answer any queries you have from my experience
    04-28-17 03:26 AM
    Thanks.
    Now can you tell us about notification led colors...?
    04-28-17 03:28 AM
    Thanks.
    Now can you tell us about notification led colors...?
    Haha. I was hoping that you'll be at it.
    MyriadeCoh likes this.
    04-28-17 03:29 AM
    How did you upgrade from classic?
    04-28-17 03:33 AM
    How wuld you say is screen brightness compared to other smartphones? Compared to the Passport?
    okanagan likes this.
    04-28-17 04:19 AM
    Congrats on the phone. Coming from the Classic, which I will also be doing, how is the speaker volume and quality compared to the Classic? Is it a lot louder?

Thanks

**Bold 9000, Bold 9900, Q10, Classic...do u notice the pattern? :-) ...the KEYone is NEXT!**
    04-28-17 04:26 AM
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm jealous for sure
    04-28-17 04:32 AM
    So the Questions asked here so far for you Sir are ;
    1. How is the brightness compared with your Classis,Passport
    2. How is the sound quality and the loudness of the speakers
    3. Has it RGB led colors (what I know it does)
    Tony Hancock likes this.
    04-28-17 04:46 AM
    Here are my initial thoughts on the K1 having had it for about 24 hours.
    Background : first time blackberry user. Last time I had a PKB was 2009, a nokia.

Looks and feel: the device is beautiful. The combination of silver coloured bezel and top part, shiny keyboard, silver bars between rows, textured rubberised back and squared edges on top, all contribute to make thing look hot. This device is a head turner. Though despite being beautiful I can imagine derision from most people. Already had family members scoff at me having a PKB (while in the same breath saying it looks cool). The device feels solid and premium. It is lighter and thinner than I expected. At a quick glance it is just as thin as my nexus 4 and Sony Xperia Z Compact. Personally I would have preferred a tad thicker as I feel two handed use benefits from a bit of heft. Having said that I will be getting a case so it’s a non issue.

Ergonomics / use of keyboard : initially I felt it was a bit cramped however I am already getting more used to it. Keyboard can easily be used one handed though I find it pretty slow, perfectly usable for when you are not typing much. Biggest issue however is that with the PKB being so low and small the phone is top heavy and is a little uncomfortable and unstable to use. I think that a case for some added heft and a stick on ring type thing for good purchase (such as the one crackberryKevin recently reviewed) is a MUST. That aside the typing itself is solid ie no issues with key presses.

Convenience key: remember those initial reviewers who complained about moving the standby button to the left? Yup I scoffed at them too, I mean how hard is it to relearn this, right. Well I think what they were really experiencing is that the convenience key is in too much of a convenient position! With its placement it sits in a very natural place to be pressed. It will take some time to relearn this. I currently have it working as a Home button (same as android circle button) by assigning it to the blackberry launcher. I would go as far to say that I think a better placement for this button is on the top of the phone. Though considering this phone has 52 keyboard shortcuts, I have the feeling that it is really not needed on such a device, yeah you can use it from any screen, but considering the PKB shortcuts, I could easily do without this button. I would say it’s more useful on glass slab type phones.

Keyboard features: shortcuts are awesome, though as someone who is not used to them I am having to train myself to use them rather than the icon. Thought about removing the icon from the home screen but this new version of Android allows for some icons to have extra functionality by swiping up or down on them. For instance the chrome browser icon when swiped brings up your bookmarks. It is a neat feature that I don’t think I want to remove.
    Scrolling left and right works well. Scrolling up and down works well for the most part but can get a bit jumpy. It works best when scrolling slowly, say reading an article, rather than quickly to get to the bottom of a page. It is also easy to hit the android soft button but I think one will get used to it, I try to use the very edge of keyboard when scrolling.
    Back swipe for delete is amazing. Swipe up on word suggestions is amazing . Fingerprint reading works flawlessly and is fast to unlock. Its positioning is perfect too.

Android split screen: this was designed for phones with a PKB (or a proper massive screen). You can have two apps open and be typing with easy and comfort. I do not think this is possible on any other phone. For instance I can have YouTube open and type on a word document at the same time.

Rgb: there is one but have not looked into if colours are assignable.
    Battery life: I am on 40% with 6 hours 15 minutes screen on time. In that time I have not played much in the way of games, watched videos or listen to music, perhaps 10 minutes on each. Have taken about 30 photos and downloaded a large bunch of apps. Also had some sort of a system update this morning. Have been on WiFi the whole time with adaptive screen brightness. In all I would describe battery life as phenomenal.
    Screen: Clear, bright and sharp. It feels larger than it is as there is no virtual keyboard taking up loads of space. Slight curved design is nice.
    Other notes: not a fan of BBHub. Guess I am too used to separate apps and I think I much prefer this though understand others may find great use in it.
    No bugs to report of as of yet.
    Phone is snappy, not noticed any lag.
    Single speaker seems pretty decent, loud and clear enough for my needs. Can’t imagine such a small speaker being much better. Personally I feel if you need better sound get a Bluetooth speaker.

Overall I love this phone. Only negatives are to do with ergonomics but I think they can be easily addressed as mentioned above. I would highly recommend and would buy again
    Last edited by Baerli Baer; 04-28-17 at 07:03 AM.
    04-28-17 04:48 AM
    I have to agree with you in regards to the Keyboard. I feel the same in relation to the keyboard being low and slightly small. I'm hoping i get use to it or a cover will make a difference in terms of stability.
    04-28-17 05:00 AM
    Thanks for your thoughts so far. Split screen option sounds like something I would use a lot!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 05:17 AM
    great review. really appreciated. assign convenience key as home button is great idea. regret BB10 didn't thought about that for initial iphone 5 days (a lot of complian about no home button from the ex-iphone user). (1) how is the sd card and sim card socket feel? any caution required to prevent damage? (2) what is phone said about MfG site (country of origin). (3) long live BB.
    04-28-17 05:19 AM
    for some reason I'm reading all the buyer posts in my mind with a British accent.

Thanks guys and enjoy the phones! How would you compare the pkb against Classic?
    04-28-17 05:19 AM
    Excellent reviews

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 05:20 AM
    Beautiful phone.

Classic and Passport with Android 7.1 Nougat.

If you've used the Priv/50/60 before you will fine it easy to use!
    04-28-17 05:24 AM
    I know it's early to ask but, how about the battery performance ? How long it takes before running out in 'normal' use ?
    04-28-17 05:35 AM
    Aargh. Has anyone else come across this? It's been there permanently since initial set up; through restarts and a factory reset...

Thoughts after 24 hours of KEYone-img_1492.jpg

(Permanent faint line down the left hand side of the screen).
    thekidshop likes this.
    04-28-17 05:42 AM

- The scrolling over the keys is not really they brilliant, it may take some getting used to. I may sound like a fossil but I miss the trackpad
    * Try double-tab for cursor ( in textareas only) and for example SHIFT+Gesture on PKB for selecting text...

http://help.blackberry.com/en/keyboa...391285656.html

More keyboard galore:

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-k...yone-devicebox
    Vegano likes this.
    04-28-17 05:56 AM
    - LED is white when I get new email. Message. Sometimes green for other notifications. Think orange/red when charging or low on battery
    - Upgrade from Classic : 1) Moved all files to mem card 2) made sure all contacts and calendar was synced to my email account. Then just added email then all contacts and calendar items where in my K1. When I installed Whatsapp, my chat history didn’t transfer over (sure there is a way but I didn’t look into it, not too bothered). K1 contacts on android has a duplicate removal function but it’s stopped working, need to look into that.
    - It’s very bright but I running on battery saving / low brightness almost all the time. It is adapative brightness the environment you are in. which is very cool. When watching a recorded video on full brightness, it’s quality.
    - I will test speaker/volume tonight #Dwonder
    - I have not had any teething issues
    stlabrat and Nathan Conley like this.
    04-28-17 06:04 AM
    -LED is white when I get new email. Message. Sometimes green for other notifications. Think orange/red when charging or low on battery
    -Upgrade from Classic : 1) Moved all files to mem card 2) made sure all contacts and calendar was synced to my email account. Then just added email then all contacts and calendar items where in my K1. When I installed Whatsapp, my chat history didn’t transfer over (sure there is a way but I didn’t look into it, not too bothered). K1 contacts on android has a duplicate removal function but it’s stopped working, need to look into that.
    -It’s very bright but I running on battery saving / low brightness almost all the time. It is adapative brightness the environment you are in. which is very cool. When watching a recorded video on full brightness, it’s quality.
    -I will test speaker/volume tonight #Dwonder
    -I have not had any teething issues
    I think for those apps you probably can adjust led from the BlackBerry Hub.
    Moreover you can get an app like Light Manager from PlayStore to customise it more. I believe Priv forum would have more on that.
    04-28-17 06:12 AM
    Aargh. Has anyone else come across this? It's been there permanently since initial set up; through restarts and a factory reset...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1492.jpg 
Views:	2114 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	422000

(Permanent faint line down the left hand side of the screen).
    Oh no... so sorry to hear! Yikes... not a good sign if it appears persistent on all screens and after reset.

I hope that they have stock for replacement!

Hope u get it resolved !

Let's hope this isn't going to be a common defect.
    Azumarill likes this.
    04-28-17 06:13 AM

- Upgrade was smooth

- Keyboard is fine but the keyboard shortcut and conveience key shortcut do not give me two really important options (1) back button - the back button is a touch button and when I would like it lower OR a button shortcut for efficiency and (2) the send button for emails is at the top right of the screen!! [if anyone knows a way around this please let me know]

Thanks for this as I'm currently on a classic and hoping to move onto the KEYone.

I tend to agree that android choices isn't always the smartest way esp with what you mentioned with the send button being at the top right. Similar thing can be said about the default chrome browser and for whatever reason keeping the address bar at the top. As far away from easy reach.

Yeah it'll take time to live without the trackpad. Selecting text could be more BlackBerry 10 like but nougat is a good upgrade.

Battery life might take time to settle in but glad to know the KEYone takes good photos.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 06:28 AM
    Congrats of getting your K1, I will also do a review once we are able to buy one here in the USA?
    04-28-17 06:30 AM

- Upgrade was smooth

- I set it up as power saving and made it as efficient as possible because battery life and longevity is important to me

- Media playing is great, switching videos and very high quality playback IMO

- Whatsapp on BB10 is more efficient than on Android

- I really like that the phone 'requests my permission' all the time. I feel like I know what's running in the background and it's really smooth

- I logged on remotely to my work email through Blackberry Work and Google Chrome and it was really quick

- Generally I find everything so fast and I don't feel the phone lags when multiple apps are open

- Handset call quality is ok but speaker did not sound as crisp, it may just be my connection

- finger print sensor works like a charm, I set it as my thumb

- Hub is as brilliant as ever but I don't know if it's possible to have the BB10 feature when you can just press on the right of an email to delete it.. with K1 you have to swipe to delete (which is OK but I preferred a button) I guess it's less likely you'll delete by accident now

- Really can't wait for a good phone case

- I think K1 gives users a balance between flash and efficiency, the latter being more important to me

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert nor have great technical knowledge but will try answer any queries you have from my experience
    Thanks. Great review. I will be moving from a PPSE. You said PKB was fine (in making transition). I wonder if it will be same going from the PPSE?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-17 06:51 AM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Here are my initial thoughts on the K1 having had it for about 24 hours.
    Background : first time blackberry user. Last time I had a PKB was 2009, a nokia.

Looks and feel: the device is beautiful. The combination of silver coloured bezel and top look, shiny keyboard, silver bars between rows, textured rubberised back and squared edges on top all contribute to make thing look hot. This device is a head turner. Though despite being beautiful I can imagine derision from most people. Already had family members scoff at me having a PKB (while in the same breath saying it looks cool). The device feels solid and premium. It is lighter and thinner than I expected. At a quick glance it is just as thin as my nexus 4 and Sony Xperia Z Compact. Personally I would have preferred a tad thicker as I feel two handed use benefits from a bit of heft. Having said that I will be getting a case so it’s a non issue.

Ergonomics / use of keyboard : initially I felt it was a bit cramped however I am already getting more used to it. Keyboard can easily be used one handed though I find it pretty slow, perfectly usable for when you are not typing much. Biggest issue however is that with the PKB being so low and small the best phone is top heavy and is a little uncomfortable and unstable to use. I think that a case for some added heft and a stick on ring type thing for good purchase (such as the one crackberryKevin recently reviewed) is a MUST. That aside the typing itself is solid ie no issues with keypresses.

Convenience key: remember those initial reviewers who complained about moving the standby button to the left? Yup I scoffed at them too, I mean how hard is it to relearn this, right. Well I think what they were really experiencing is that the convenience key is in too much of a convenient position! With its placement it sits in a very natural place to be pressed. It will take some time to relearn this. I currently have it working as a Home button (same as android circle button) by assigning it to the blackberry launcher. I would go as far to say that I think a better placement for this button is on the top of the phone. Though considering this phone has 52 keyboard shortcuts, I have the feeling that it is really not needed on such a device, yeah you can use it from any screen, but considering the PKB shortcuts, I could easily do without this button. I would say it’s more useful on glass slab type phones.

Keyboard features: shortcuts are awesome, though as someone who is not used to them I am having to train myself to use them rather than the icon. Thought about removing the icon from the home screen but this new version of Android allows for some icons to have extra functionality by swiping up or down on them. For instance the chrome browser icon when swiped brings up your bookmarks. It is a neat feature that I don’t think I want to remove.
    Scrolling left and right works well. Scrolling up and down works well for the most part but can get a bit jumpy. It works best when scrolling slowly, say reading an article, rather than quickly to get to the bottom of a page. It is also easy to hit the android soft button but I think one will get used to it, I try to use the very edge of keyboard when scrolling.
    Back swipe for delete is amazing. Swipe up on word suggestions is amazing . Fingerprint reading works flawlessly and is fast to unlock. Its positioning is perfect too.

Android split screen: this was designed for phones with a PKB (or a proper massive screen). You can have two apps open and be typing with easy and comfort. I do not think this is possible on any other phone. For instance I can have YouTube open and type on a word document at the same time.

Rgb: there is one but have not looked into if colours are assignable.
    Battery life: I am on 40% with 6 hours 15 minutes screen on time. In that time I have not played much in the way of games, watched videos or listen to music, perhaps 10 minutes on each. Have taken about 30 photos and downloaded a large bunch of apps. Also had some sort of a system update this morning. Have been on WiFi the whole time with adaptive screen brightness. In all I would describe battery life as phenomenal.
    Screen: Clear, bright and sharp. It feels larger than it is as there is no virtual keyboard taking up loads of space. Slight curved design is nice.
    Other notes: not a fan of BBHub. Guess I am too used to separate apps and I think I much prefer this though understand others may find great use in it.
    No bugs to report of as of yet.
    Phone is snappy, not noticed any lag.
    Single speaker seems pretty decent, loud and clear enough for my needs. Can’t imagine such a small speaker being much better. Personally I feel if you need better sound get a Bluetooth speaker.

Overall I love this phone. Only negatives are to do with ergonomics but I think they can be easily addressed as mentioned above. I would highly recommend and would buy again
    Impressive! Great post!!!

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    04-28-17 07:03 AM
122 123 ...