Frankly, doesn't matter to me...that said would there be a different response if the phone was announced to the world as the TCL KEYone running Android Nougat 7.1 combined with BlackBerry's amazing Physical Keyboard and World Renown Security Software?

This would IMO change a lot of things. Again just my opinion, but almost all the negatives are in some way saying, "BlackBerry did it again", etc. If BlackBerry is truly a Software Company and BlackBerry Mobile is truly TCL Manufacturing the Hardware and selling the device then should we not be looking through the lens of TCL instead of BlackBerry?

As BlackBerry attempts a "comeback" it's a Software play which has been said repeatedly. Right now there is a Singular Manufacturer in BlackBerry Mobile so it's easy to point at BlackBerry, but we don't know where things are going. TCL is HUGE and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here as opposed to slamming BlackBerry. Don't slam me, lol. Just curious for what other people think. My assumption will be that BlackBerry loyalists will have and continue to have difficulty separating anything with BlackBerry on it from BlackBerry of old and that will only fuel negativity for some. On the other hand, BlackBerry branding may hurt consumer sales who ridiculously care about the stigma.

I truly believe the best scenario would have been carrier support with device in retail as the TCL KEYone and consumers would pick it up and be excited with what it can do.
    02-26-17 09:25 PM
    This would IMO change a lot of things. Again just my opinion, but almost all the negatives are in some way saying, "BlackBerry did it again", etc. If BlackBerry is truly a Software Company and BlackBerry Mobile is truly TCL Manufacturing the Hardware and selling the device then should we not be looking through the lens of TCL instead of BlackBerry?
    Wouldn't change a thing. It's not like TCL branded phones are flying off the shelves either. People right now only recognize the big players; Apple, Samsung, Google, etc. The fact that it has the BlackBerry name on the device can only really help at this point for people to at least recognize the brand, because your regular Joe smart phone user has no clue what or who TCL is.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 09:31 PM
    Wouldn't change a thing. It's not like TCL branded phones are flying off the shelves either. People right now only recognize the big players; Apple, Samsung, Google, etc. The fact that it has the BlackBerry name on the device can only really help at this point for people to at least recognize the brand, because your regular Joe smart phone user has no clue what or who TCL is.

Posted via CB10
    Solid point but TCL has done as many as 17 million phone sales worldwide in a Single Quarter. They are hardly an unknown. In fact from a numbers perspective they are probably just behind Google in 4th, but I don't know for sure.
    02-26-17 09:34 PM
    Solid point but TCL has done as many as 17 million phone sales worldwide in a Single Quarter. They are hardly an unknown. In fact from a numbers perspective they are probably just behind Google in 4th, but I don't know for sure.
    Yes but most of those sales came from cheap phones
    anon(10101748) likes this.
    02-26-17 09:47 PM
    17 million devices in a single quarter is all nice and we'll; but that's a blanket statement, no different from marketing fluff such as Microsoft announcing how many PCs are running Windows 10 (especially when they force upgraded a metric f**kton of PCs without consent; they even did it to me. Always on PC, left to grab some grub for maybe an hour and came back to a PC already upgraded with absolutely ZERO user interaction or consent. I was livid, but I digress).

The vast majority of those 17 million devices are likely low cost in markets that low cost devices are very popular in. Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, in fact it's awesome for them; but the Keyone isn't that. The Keyone can't be measured or compared by the same metrics because it is entirely different. This is one of the reasons that I'm baffled at how many users on CB are right now complaining and moaning that the device is being released at $550 USD, as if $550 USD was somehow too expensive when most if not a lot of people were expecting it to be no less than $499 USD (I say complaining and moaning because I'm not able to type the word I truly feel aptly describes what they're doing). So apparently $50 is the straw that breaks the BlackBerry Fans back, how pathetic is that?

My PPSE is serving me very well, and I will continue using it until it does not; but if I had a need for more apps or a need to switch to a newer device, trust me I would jump on the Keyone on day 1. The $550 asking price on release seems entirely reasonable to me, and I bought a Q10 from Verizon outright when it was still new at near $700 after taxes without blinking an eye; my very first BlackBerry phone too.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 11:03 PM
    17 million devices in a single quarter is all nice and we'll; but that's a blanket statement,

The vast majority of those 17 million devices are likely low cost in markets that low cost devices are very popular in. Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, in fact it's awesome for them; but the Keyone isn't that. The Keyone can't be measured or compared by the same metrics because it is entirely different. This is one of the reasons that I'm baffled at how many users on CB are right now complaining and moaning that the device is being released at $550 USD, as if $550 USD was somehow too expensive when most if not a lot of people were expecting it to be no less than $499 USD (I say complaining and moaning because I'm not able to type the word I truly feel aptly describes what they're doing). So apparently $50 is the straw that breaks the BlackBerry Fans back, how pathetic is that?

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, which is sort of my point. For BlackBerry fans that have waited for this device they will now either stick to what they have or spend even more money for an iPhone or higher spec'd Android. They won't spend $550 for the KEYone but will drop over $700 for specs that are barely noticed to the human eye. I used a DTEK50 and loved it but hated needing to unlock it without the fingerprint sensor. For the DTEK60 is was slightly to big for me. I feel this device is exactly what I'm looking for and it's $200 less than my iPhone 7 128GB I am currently using. So I am ecstatic to take the KEYone at $549 versus what I'd be spending in Sept on a new iPhone.
    02-26-17 11:19 PM
    17 million devices in a single quarter is all nice and we'll; but that's a blanket statement, no different from marketing fluff such as Microsoft announcing how many PCs are running Windows 10 (especially when they force upgraded a metric f**kton of PCs without consent; they even did it to me. Always on PC, left to grab some grub for maybe an hour and came back to a PC already upgraded with absolutely ZERO user interaction or consent. I was livid, but I digress).

My PPSE is serving me very well, and I will continue using it until it does not; but if I had a need for more apps or a need to switch to a newer device, trust me I would jump on the Keyone on day 1. The $550 asking price on release seems entirely reasonable to me, and I bought a Q10 from Verizon outright when it was still new at near $700 after taxes without blinking an eye; my very first BlackBerry phone too.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, which is sort of my point. For BlackBerry fans that have waited for this device they will now either stick to what they have or spend even more money for an iPhone or higher spec'd Android. They won't spend $550 for the KEYone but will drop over $700 for specs that are barely noticed to the human eye. I used a DTEK50 and loved it but hated needing to unlock it without the fingerprint sensor. For the DTEK60 is was slightly to big for me. I feel this device is exactly what I'm looking for and it's $200 less than my iPhone 7 128GB I am currently using. So I am ecstatic to take the KEYone at $549 versus what I'd be spending in Sept on a new iPhone.
    02-26-17 11:19 PM
    Although I am disappointed with the price you are right it is the device Blackberry PKB enthusiasts have been waiting for or for that matter many who like a PKB experience better than glass have been waiting for.

People have PKB devices because firstly they like a PKB experience and for the most part that experience trumps any other voids the device may have, this should include price. There are users in the blackberry community carrying Passports, Classics, Q10 and even Bolds that all claim their phones experience is the best and they won't upgrade until that experience can be matched.

Meanwhile all these people are hanging on to legacy devices and then complaining that the phone is $100 too high they are still willing to compromise on many other features of their own phone. If they are willing to compromise on features/ecosystem then why not the price too without all the voids of features/ecosystem?
    02-27-17 02:57 AM
    I never heard of TCL before. I have to be honest before the Dtek50 I never even heard of Alcatel.

I also just learned of a company called OPPO, it is Chinese and they seem very popular in the Philippines and Indonesia. My friend from the Philippines just got a new android oppo and it looks just like an iPhone with quality and good reviews to boot.

And I like to think I read Tech sites. But I don't think these are popular companies in North America.

Anyway....

I think honestly that it just comes down to people hating on BlackBerry and it's easy to kick a company when it's down. That's what they're doing with this new device. An easy mark, and it's entertaining for them. And let's face it, we're giving them attention right now, the attention they crave.
    02-27-17 03:05 AM