Are we getting a little tight for an early April release date, if we still haven't seen anything pass through the FCC? Is it likely that it will pass through, and then be available as soon as a week or so after?

Posted via CB10
    03-21-17 01:16 PM
    Can you please tell me why this is so important?

Take the new iPad for example. It just passed TODAY, the same day it was announced. It goes on sale March 24. FCC dates are, in the grand scheme of things, kinda irrelevant. TCL could effectively hold it back right up until the day of sale.

https://fccid.io/BCGA1823
    https://fccid.io/BCGA1822

Starting to think everyone here is so used to the ' passes through the FCC' posts that everyone thinks they really matter. It's fluff news unless it's something you DIDN'T know was coming. If some BlackBerry device different from the KEYone passed, that WOULD be interesting, but you already know the KEYone exists lol.
    03-21-17 01:23 PM
    Yes, it was be released just like iPhone release! I am pretty sure it's ready to ship already!
    03-21-17 01:31 PM
    There's no reason for them to hold up until the day of sale.. the phone is already announced, we know the specs, no surprise to consumers.. only logical reason is that they still don't have a final production unit which one can assume the reason for the lack of any carrier info, pre order dates being pushed and no blogger reviews with a final unit when April is a week and half away
    03-21-17 01:38 PM
    only logical reason is that they still don't have a final production unit
    That's not even a logical reason lol. The crazy, curious case of the missing FCC filing.

03-21-17 01:41 PM
    That's not even a logical reason.
    The fact is we've heard absolutely nothing in over 3 weeks since the announcement, and April (when it will allegedly be available) starts in 2 weeks. We're desperate for any sort of information.

Unfortunately, TCL is proving themselves just as incompetent as BlackBerry Limited. This is how you botch a phone release.
    03-21-17 01:46 PM
    The fact is we've heard absolutely nothing in over 3 weeks since the announcement, and April (when it will allegedly be available) starts in 2 weeks. We're desperate for any sort of information.
    Catch Kevin on Cheddar lol. - http://www.cheddar.com/#live

03-21-17 01:49 PM
    There have been many devices that got FCC release mere days before going on sale.

I think that's how it was with the Priv.

Being publicly searchable on the FCC site really doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't already been approved internally.

Joel
    03-21-17 01:54 PM
    I think that people forget that the internet isn't hard truth. Just because something isn't listed doesn't mean it's not there. There's tons of stuff that's 'done' that's just kept under wrap. It's coming people, what was the biggest thing Steve asked for?? Patience. Patience to allow them to do this right.

 ßlackßerry PASSPORT 
    03-21-17 02:10 PM
    Catch Kevin on Cheddar lol. -
    You guys have done a great job at CrackBerry, but I'm already sold on buying the phone. We need to know when we can buy it and when it will be delivered. I mean, the Aurora is being made by a no-name partner in Indonesia, and they had it announced and rolled out within a week. These billion dollar corporations (BB & TCL) can't manage that?
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    03-21-17 02:53 PM
    You guys have done a great job at CrackBerry, but I'm already sold on buying the phone. We need to know when we can buy it and when it will be delivered. I mean, the Aurora is being made by a no-name partner in Indonesia, and they had it announced and rolled out within a week. These billion dollar corporations (BB & TCL) can't manage that?

You need to look at it from a different perspective.

1) BB Merah Putih was the first hardware deal put in place, giving them a bit of a jump. Sure, TCL built the DTEK's, but their official takeover of the KEYone didn't come until AFTER BB Merah Putih was already announced.

2) The Aurora is effectively a one market device - Indonesia. TCL has many more markets to cover.

3) The Aurora is nothing special when it comes to hardware. It's a slab. Not a lot of work involved there, and it's not a no-name company behind it. It's a company that has been building phones for years at the core and can spit them out rather easily, especially when it's yet another slab.

4) Where's BB Merah Putih's support? Where are their help and how to guides? Where are their active social accounts dedicating support to after sales? They've literally put a device on the market and are just letting it roll on its own. While it might be too soon to say what TCL is doing in this arena, I don't think it's any stretch of the imagination to say they'll do better.

The tl;dr here is: TCL and the launch of the KEYone is much larger all around and to even compare the two, is not really coming at it the right way. Tossing money at the situation isn't always the answer.
    03-21-17 03:04 PM
    Can you please tell me why this is so important?

Take the new iPad for example. It just passed TODAY, the same day it was announced. It goes on sale March 24. FCC dates are, in the grand scheme of things, kinda irrelevant. TCL could effectively hold it back right up until the day of sale.

https://fccid.io/BCGA1823
    https://fccid.io/BCGA1822

Starting to think everyone here is so used to the '<Latest device> passes through the FCC' posts that everyone thinks they really matter. It's fluff news unless it's something you DIDN'T know was coming. If some BlackBerry device different from the KEYone passed, that WOULD be interesting, but you already know the KEYone exists lol.
    It was an honest question - I have no idea how fcc dates relate to release dates. It looks like the DTEK60 was about a month, no?

Posted via CB10
    03-21-17 03:28 PM
    It was an honest question - I have no idea how fcc dates relate to release dates. It looks like the DTEK60 was about a month, no?

Posted via CB10
    I don't even remember what I ate for breakfast, let alone when the DTEK60 passed through the FCC. lol And FCC dates don't really relate to release dates at all in the grand scheme of things. Folks like to use them as indicators and sometimes, based on previous patterns, you might get lucky and come close but it's not exactly a sure bet. It's a scattershot guess, at best.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    03-21-17 03:29 PM
    You need to look at it from a different perspective.

1) BB Merah Putih was the first hardware deal put in place, giving them a bit of a jump. Sure, TCL built the DTEK's, but their official takeover of the KEYone didn't come until AFTER BB Merah Putih was already announced.

2) The Aurora is effectively a one market device - Indonesia. TCL has many more markets to cover.

3) The Aurora is nothing special when it comes to hardware. It's a slab. Not a lot of work involved there, and it's not a no-name company behind it. It's a company that has been building phones for years at the core and can spit them out rather easily, especially when it's yet another slab.

4) Where's BB Merah Putih's support? Where are their help and how to guides? Where are their active social accounts dedicating support to after sales? They've literally put a device on the market and are just letting it roll on its own. While it might be too soon to say what TCL is doing in this arena, I don't think it's any stretch of the imagination to say they'll do better.

The tl;dr here is: TCL and the launch of the KEYone is much larger all around and to even compare the two, is not really coming at it the right way. Tossing money at the situation isn't always the answer.
    I get it - the Aurora is a completely different device and different market. But that doesn't excuse BB/TCL. LG has already set up preorders and given a launch date for the G6. The Galaxy S8 will probably roll out very soon after the announcement. Those are bigger companies for sure, but TCL and BB are also multibillion dollar corporations and supposed to be professionals.

We all appreciate what CB is doing, but you're doing 100% of the marketing for this phone. From BB & TCL, it's been radio silence.

The KEYone leaks appeared here on CrackBerry in 2015 before the Priv was released, so it's been in development for nearly 2 years. I'm not saying they should throw a bunch of money at the situation. I'm saying they should do the most basic fundamental things any smartphone company needs to do to release a phone in the West - give us a release date and set up pre-orders.
    03-21-17 03:31 PM
    From BB & TCL, it's been radio silence.
    You won't get much from BB. It's not their device.

The KEYone leaks appeared here on CrackBerry in 2015 before the Priv was released, so it's been in development for nearly 2 years.
    I know. I leaked it But it hasn't been consistent development. It was shelved for a while, picked back up, etc etc. I get how you feel. I'm an impatient person myself. I want what I want when I want it and generally, I want it NOW!
    03-21-17 03:35 PM
    You won't get much from BB. It's not their device.

I know. I leaked it But it hasn't been consistent development. It was shelved for a while, picked back up, etc etc. I get how you feel. I'm an impatient person myself. I want what I want when I want it and generally, I want it NOW!
    Yeah, I'm not venting against you, just frustrated with BB/TCL. I started the waiting room thread for the Verizon Priv, and waited five months for it to come out after it had already been released on other networks. So I really hate seeing the same delays with the KEYone.
    03-21-17 03:38 PM
    What delays? They made the announcement when it's coming out. So far, that still stands. FCC approval is not an indicator either way. As far as we all know, the release date hasn't changed.

The problem is that BlackBerry is doing what they always do. Announce a product way too early... make everyone wait for a few months (to almost year in the case of the PlayBook)... let other "upcoming" competing devices gain the anticipation momentum with leaks but no announcement... everyone talks about those devices while the BlackBerry device anticipation has stagnated because everything's been told about it but there is nothing to actually buy - much less pre-order.

You notice that Apple only announces an announcement ahead of time. Then, when they do the actual unveiling, they follow with, "and, you can order it tomorrow".

Samsung does this in similar fashion.

That's how you announce a product. Don't announce it until you're ready to actually sell it.

I know that Apple and Samsung leak stuff constantly for about a year before a phone is released, but it's always in very small doses. Even the last bit of info right before announcement always seems like there might be more.

Why can't BlackBerry Mobile do something like that?

Joel
    03-21-17 04:33 PM
    You're expecting an "early" April release?
    03-21-17 05:35 PM
    What delays? They made the announcement when it's coming out. So far, that still stands. FCC approval is not an indicator either way. As far as we all know, the release date hasn't changed.

The problem is that BlackBerry is doing what they always do. Announce a product way too early... make everyone wait for a few months (to almost year in the case of the PlayBook)... let other "upcoming" competing devices gain the anticipation momentum with leaks but no announcement... everyone talks about those devices while the BlackBerry device anticipation has stagnated because everything's been told about it but there is nothing to actually buy - much less pre-order.

You notice that Apple only announces an announcement ahead of time. Then, when they do the actual unveiling, they follow with, "and, you can order it tomorrow".

Samsung does this in similar fashion.

That's how you announce a product. Don't announce it until you're ready to actually sell it.

I know that Apple and Samsung leak stuff constantly for about a year before a phone is released, but it's always in very small doses. Even the last bit of info right before announcement always seems like there might be more.

Why can't BlackBerry Mobile do something like that?

Joel
    Agreed. I love the enthusiasm we are seeing from CrackBerry and BlackBerry fan the last few weeks, sorely needed. And yes, very grateful that we are still seeing BlackBerry branded phones. But just SMH about the release event, the lack of any word from TCL (I did a Google search and its painful to try to find any new info on the device), lack of information on carrier arrangements, and what is already being considered a phone that is too costly. What's better...lower margins and wider adoption or higher margins, low phone sales, mockery, and a big tax write off?

I think most CrackBerry fans want to see more of these great devices and the amazing BlackBerry software "in the wild". Lower prices wouldn't hurt and would stop people asking if BlackBerry makes phones anymore. I was running to catch a bus while making a call on my PP SE two weeks ago and someone literally yelled out wow is that a BlackBerry?! Ironically, more people think the PassPort is a "new" BlackBerry device compared with the DTEK 60....

Just saying...
    03-21-17 05:38 PM
    You're expecting an "early" April release?
    "As early as April" probably means April 30th. If we're lucky.
    03-21-17 09:53 PM
    I don't understand. April. There, you have it. The KEYone will start rolling out in April. Why is this not enough? In what way does BlackBerry Mobile owe anyone anything more than that?

Does April 7th feel better than April 12th? My birthday is in April so I'll feel better if it's shipped and lands on my doorstep on my birthday.

Stop thinking about BlackBerry Mobile as a whole and the potential impact of release date on anyone but yourself. It's simple...if you want the KEYone and you have the opportunity to buy it and it's in your hands in April then BlackBerry Mobile kept up their end of the bargain, maybe...

No "global" promise was made that I'm aware of so an April release may not include "your" particular home/country. It's up to you whether or not you still want to purchase the device.

This feeling of entitlement that "brand loyalists" deserve better and should know already since we are so close to April needs to stop.

Just be excited about the device. Be happy that the users who have seen and tested it are responding positively and you'll soon have one. Soon you'll have a brand new shiny awesome phone with an amazing PKB to use to whine on the forums about something else.

Annnnnd let the bashing begin...even though you all know I'm right. The date doesn't matter. You're buying anyway...
    03-21-17 10:17 PM
    A small bit of information: Smartphone manufacturers customarily request confidentiality during the FCC approval process. Therefore, the KEYone might be approved already, but the filing is not made public yet.

We should see the approval closer to the expected release time-frame, not now... too far in advance.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    anon(10101748) and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-21-17 10:18 PM
    I don't understand. April. There, you have it. The KEYone will start rolling out in April. Why is this not enough? In what way does BlackBerry Mobile owe anyone anything more than that?

Does April 7th feel better than April 12th? My birthday is in April so I'll feel better if it's shipped and lands on my doorstep on my birthday.

Stop thinking about BlackBerry Mobile as a whole and the potential impact of release date on anyone but yourself. It's simple...if you want the KEYone and you have the opportunity to buy it and it's in your hands in April then BlackBerry Mobile kept up their end of the bargain, maybe...

No "global" promise was made that I'm aware of so an April release may not include "your" particular home/country. It's up to you whether or not you still want to purchase the device.

This feeling of entitlement that "brand loyalists" deserve better and should know already since we are so close to April needs to stop.

Just be excited about the device. Be happy that the users who have seen and tested it are responding positively and you'll soon have one. Soon you'll have a brand new shiny awesome phone with an amazing PKB to use to whine on the forums about something else.

Annnnnd let the bashing begin...even though you all know I'm right. The date doesn't matter. You're buying anyway...
    Good points, but most manufactures give a date these dates, not a month. When the S8 has its launch event next week, their will be a date it goes on sale given.
    03-21-17 11:27 PM
    A small bit of information: Smartphone manufacturers customarily request confidentiality during the FCC approval process. Therefore, the KEYone might be approved already, but the filing is not made public yet.

We should see the approval closer to the expected release time-frame, not now... too far in advance.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    This is interesting...

Why do you think they would request confidentiality on this one? They've already released all the specs to us, and I can't imagine that they plan on making any changes this late in the game.
    03-21-17 11:30 PM
    I said this on another thread...
    Same crowd would be crowing about the missed opportunity, had they not done their event at MWC.

They said April it starts to roll, and until April passes with no phones in consumer hands, there is nothing to be hysterical about. How much money do you want them to blow, advertising the KEYone before it's out, and how soon before? I've seen it on several news shows, but heck, final production phones aren't even known to be in reviewer's hands yet. When they start talking, you'll know it's on. Till then, relax. There's plenty of chum in the water to feed on, right here on CrackBerry.
    03-21-17 11:31 PM
122 123 ...