Figured some of you would enjoy the interactions I had at three of the different large BestBuys in New York City (if you work at BestBuy or have fond thoughts of their knowledge, this is only a sample. I've had plenty of great interactions with BestBuy just not today). I was shopping today with the lady so I just popped in to ask. Figured I would inquire about the Keyone just to see if I could yield any insider info. Two of the three, I asked to speak to one of the managers in the mobile department.My question to all of them was the following:

"Hello. I got an email saying that the Blackberry Keyone will be released on the 31st. Will you be getting it in that week by any chance?"

These were the three responses:
    BestBuy Location1: "We actually only carry Android and IOS and not Blackberry. Sorry. We won't be getting it."
    BestBuy Location2: "The Blackberry? No. We've actually been phasing them out for some time now but we have the Blackberry Priv. We also have the Samsung S8's, they're top of the line right now if you want to check them out."
    BestBuy Location3: "No. We won't be getting it. They don't sell well." (This last one. What's the over/under of him not even having any idea what the Keyone is?)

I mean, i get it, BB heads are far and few in this landscape but man, still annoys me.
    Last edited by paperbackpiles; 05-20-17 at 11:50 PM.
    jamesharmeling and Gelzz like this.
    05-20-17 11:32 PM
    You need to get a life man lol
    05-20-17 11:37 PM
    Weird because Best Buy here sales the Dtek50 and Dtek60 to. But this is all BlackBerrys fault for not ever advertising, or TCL. Yeah they post on Twitter but they don't do anything else. It's terrible.
    05-20-17 11:40 PM
    Figured some of you would enjoy the interactions I had at three of the different large BestBuys in New York City (if you work at BestBuy or have fond thoughts of their knowledge, this is only a sample. I've had plenty of great interactions with BestBuy just not today). I was shopping today with the lady so I just popped in to ask. Figured I would inquire about the Keyone just to see if I could yield any insider info. Two of the three, I asked to speak to one of the managers in the mobile department.My question to all of them was the following:

"Hello. I got an email saying that the Blackberry Keyone will be released on the 31st. Will you be getting it in that week by any chance?"

There were my three responses:
    BestBuy Location1: "We actually only carry Android and IOS and not Blackberry. Sorry. We won't be getting it."
    BestBuy Location2: "The Blackberry? No. We've actually been phasing them out for some time now but we have the Blackberry Priv. We also have the Samsung S8's, they're top of the line right now if you want to check them out."
    BestBuy Location3: "No. We won't be getting it. They don't sell well." (This last one. What's the over/under of him not even having any idea what the Keyone is?)

I mean, i get it, BB heads are far and few in this landscape but man, still annoys me.
    That's when you lecture them in a nice way for not keeping up to date by following Android Central or other mobile websites.
    They are just the messenger but maybe that lack of ambitious nature to keep on top of trends is why they are doing what they are doing.
    05-20-17 11:41 PM
    Weird because Best Buy here sales the Dtek50 and Dtek60 to. But this is all BlackBerrys fault for not ever advertising, or TCL. Yeah they post on Twitter but they don't do anything else. It's terrible.
    Yeah, the Dteks were both there too but he didn't mention them.
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    05-20-17 11:44 PM
    moctezumagj
    You need to get a life man lol

haha. indeed.
    05-20-17 11:47 PM
    Its really not their fault. funny as it is, bb hasnt provided any reason for bestbuy to care in years.

I have memories when majority of phones on display at that store were blackberries.
    05-21-17 12:14 AM
    This drives me bonkers.. It's like that car salesman that wants to sell you the newest hellcat when you just want the Dodge caravan/minivan because you want something for your wife and kids.. So annoying. Know the products you're selling, be informed. I deal with these stores a lot and hear so many salesmen give wrong info and customers buy based on this info. Do your job, if you don't know something.. Go find out. I went into a local bestbuy mobile store and asked about the keyone and was told the priv is newer and they stopped selling the keyone.. Then suggested the s8 or g6.. Like really? FOH! I put him on the spot and then he looked it up on local carriers and realized he effed up and I told him he needs to sharpen up.. Ended up leaving.
    Jane23 likes this.
    05-21-17 12:55 AM
    Asking Best Buy employees anything is as useless as asking a monkey. All they do is read the specs off the card that you could read yourself, look at the price tag, and make assumptions that the more expensive means the better while totally disregarding what fits your needs. Only rarely do you find an employee who's well versed about the tech world and is a real help.

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    05-21-17 12:58 AM
    Most people do not understand that the most recent models of BlackBerrys run Android. I will clarify, if asked, however.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-17 01:03 AM
    Lol, its an employees fault that they aren't aware that BB has Android phones? Seems more plausible to me that its BB's fault for failing to properly educate retailers on their phone. Even if they did know about it did you expect them to know a release date? No one knows for sure what the US release date will be, especially for carriers. Its hardly the retailers fault, and is BlackBerry's fault for not getting the message out.
    05-21-17 06:07 AM
    In a way yes, your job as a dealer is to be knowledge about EVERY phone the carrier you're selling for.. Not every small detail, but basics/important stuff.. Like screen size, camera, os,.. Don't need to know the processor, ram, battery size.. Just know the basics. Otherwise how can you suggest a phone for a customer based on their needs? Don't recommend a device because you think it's a cool phone. Recommend a device because you asked the customer about their needs and based on this and this alone is why they should buy a specific device. But that's just how I view it.
    05-21-17 06:29 AM
    Blackberry has a bad name along with bad sales these last 5 years so the only way to get the sales up is produce a good product and market the hell out of it.
    paperbackpiles likes this.
    05-21-17 06:45 AM
    Best Buy....Best Buy....Oh, yeah, that store--the one that did this:

Man arrested, cuffed after using $2 bills
    paperbackpiles and bbaleno like this.
    05-21-17 07:18 AM
    caveat emptor. (buyer beware)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...aveat%20emptor

Saying that, it would be nice if they took it upon themselves to educate themselves.
    05-21-17 07:28 AM
    When a android customer can get a promo s8 at the same price as k1 and carrier financing, why would they spend 550+ outright? At least here in america.

Im sure they get good spiffs on financing sales.
    05-21-17 07:41 AM
    In a way yes, your job as a dealer is to be knowledge about EVERY phone the carrier you're selling for.. Not every small detail, but basics/important stuff.. Like screen size, camera, os,.. Don't need to know the processor, ram, battery size.. Just know the basics. Otherwise how can you suggest a phone for a customer based on their needs? Don't recommend a device because you think it's a cool phone. Recommend a device because you asked the customer about their needs and based on this and this alone is why they should buy a specific device. But that's just how I view it.
    How are they supposed to be knowledgeable about a phone they aren't aware of when BlackBerry hasn't given any dates on when carrier phones in the US will even be released?
    MikeX74 likes this.
    05-21-17 10:00 AM
    I was at dean and deluca this morning and happened to walk by an AT&T store so I walked in and asked if AT&T would be carrying the phone and the guy smirked and said they have no updates on any BB phone but if it came out they might carry it. Didn't seem like he had every heard of the K1. Looks like the hope of carrier support on the 31st is nonexistent.
    05-21-17 10:31 AM
    I called Rogers Business line and the sales rep had never heard of the phone. He tried to sell me a PRIV. I asked him to look more closely and he finally found it and was quite impressed. He told me it was free with a two year contract. I received an email confirmation where the price was quoted as $319.99. Will have to call them back.
    05-21-17 11:10 AM
    I was at dean and deluca this morning and happened to walk by an AT&T store so I walked in and asked if AT&T would be carrying the phone and the guy smirked and said they have no updates on any BB phone but if it came out they might carry it. Didn't seem like he had every heard of the K1. Looks like the hope of carrier support on the 31st is nonexistent.
    There never was hope of carrier support on the 31st. TCL said the phone would be released sometime in May unlocked, and then available through carriers sometime in the summer. Summer lasts until September in the US, so what that actually means no one knows.
    05-21-17 11:21 AM
    Here in Canada not all Best Buy's or Best Buy Mobile stores carry any BB devices. I went into a BB Mobile store and they said they could order me a priv if I really wanted it. SO there.
    05-21-17 11:34 AM
    Reality check... for crackers anyway
    K1 is a niche product from the get go. Unless they are running furious ad campaign so K1 successor could make big sales there is no way in hell for anyone to know about it. Unless you're a cracker like us
    05-21-17 11:36 AM
    This same type of thread has existed for years here at CB. #grumpyoldman #getoffmylawn
    paperbackpiles and pkcable like this.
    05-21-17 12:14 PM
    When I was looking for an Android device to come off the stupid iPhone (personal feelings), I went to Best Buy and asked if they had any blackberry phones, and the guy smirked and sorta laughed and gave me a solid no. Poor blind slave to IOS. LOL The Verizon guy wasn't any better. When asked if they carry BB phones I got a "no". Only to wander through the store to find the Priv. Then the guy came over and gave the biggest elevator pitch as to why the Priv is a horrible phone and then proceeded to lecture me on the Godliness of the iPhone and all that apple crap. I let him ramble, let him feel like he was 100% correct. He needed that bless his heart. LOL I told him in the end though that it was all a matter of preference on what device you want to get. He still didn't get it. LOL
    All that to say, if it isn't Samsung or Apple it doesn't count. And if it isn't any of the other mainstream carriers....it's obsolete as well. The sole reason I got my DTek60 was because everyone I knew had all the major phones and they snickered and laughed off anything else.
    05-21-17 12:17 PM
    When I was looking for an Android device to come off the stupid iPhone (personal feelings), I went to Best Buy and asked if they had any blackberry phones, and the guy smirked and sorta laughed and gave me a solid no. Poor blind slave to IOS. LOL The Verizon guy wasn't any better. When asked if they carry BB phones I got a "no". Only to wander through the store to find the Priv. Then the guy came over and gave the biggest elevator pitch as to why the Priv is a horrible phone and then proceeded to lecture me on the Godliness of the iPhone and all that apple crap. I let him ramble, let him feel like he was 100% correct. He needed that bless his heart. LOL I told him in the end though that it was all a matter of preference on what device you want to get. He still didn't get it. LOL
    All that to say, if it isn't Samsung or Apple it doesn't count. And if it isn't any of the other mainstream carriers....it's obsolete as well. The sole reason I got my DTek60 was because everyone I knew had all the major phones and they snickered and laughed off anything else.
    I donno man. I tried the priv and it wanst anything special, slider became flimsy, software etc was ok. Reality is the iphone is a much better device. Market speaks volumes no matter how much we want bb to succeed, they havent given us much to work with either.

You know, i wouldnt call myself a slave but after we switched to ios as a family - going back and using bb10 or bbos isnt fun. Its not their fault but reality is since the bb callapse they havnet produced anything significant maybe till this new partnership, as hard as it is to acknowledge.
    stlabrat likes this.
    05-21-17 12:51 PM
51 123