Blackberry keeps missing out. SD 625 has 900 single-core score on Geekbench, that's half of modern phones such as OnePlus 3 and Google Pixel XL.

Even Priv lags a lot (with a more powerful SD 808), why in the world would BB release a slower phone? I've just played with a OnePlus 3 (Chinese crap? not anymore...) and was stunned to see how slow my BB Priv is compared to it. SD 625, in terms of performance, is already outdated (and slower than the Priv). In 2-3 months it will be worse, when SD 835 will be the flagship SoC.

The community begged for an Android Passport (a top range quality and performance) and got a very mid-range phone.

I would order 2 Mercuries just for backup if it had a modern powerful processor (SD 820/821/835).

Android is slow and laggy as it as. I really, really want to, but I guess I won't buy a BlackBerry in 2017.

BlackBerry keeps disappointing.
    ahmedhanif911 likes this.
    12-04-16 01:19 PM
    This is designed to be a corporate workhorse device. As such, it is very unlikely to be a game and media-centric phone.

The 625 is a very capable and very battery efficient SoC, which is critical for many in this market.

Unfortunately, due to the low production volumes, it will already be very expensive. Packing in all the latest bells and whistles will only price it completely out of range.
    12-04-16 01:23 PM
    I never play games and almost never watch videos on my phones. The only purpose is business. This is why speed is a huge factor for me, switching between mails, chats, calendar, contacts, dialing etc. Android is so freaking slow that even dialing is a huge task (2-4 clicks depends on your ROM), that's why speed is extremely important. That's also why I think 820 is a minimum for a business-centric phone.

The only thing I've heard of the 625 is that it's extremely battery efficient (also a very important factor), but I seriously think that Priv's 808 is too slow for BlackBerry's own software (BlackBerry Hub), so what will happen with even a slower CPU/SoC such as the 625?

Check this Huawei Nova out (with SD 625 just like Mercury, and it lags like hell):
    12-04-16 01:28 PM

The only thing I've heard of the 625 is that it's extremely battery efficient (also a very important factor), but I seriously think that Priv's 808 is too slow for BlackBerry's own software (BlackBerry Hub), so what will happen with even a slower CPU/SoC such as the 625?
    I also have a number of DTEK50 devices with the 617 SoC. It is surprisingly quick and the 625 in the Mercury will only make it better. It will be more than suitable for the tasks you mention.
    12-04-16 01:31 PM
    I never play games and almost never watch videos on my phones. The only purpose is business. This is why speed is a huge factor for me, switching between mails, chats, calendar, contacts, dialing etc. Android is so freaking slow that even dialing is a huge task (2-4 clicks depends on your ROM), that's why speed is extremely important. That's also why I think 820 is a minimum for a business-centric phone.

Check this Huawei Nova out (with SD 625 just like Mercury, and it lags like hell):
    Actually I read somewhere that the 625 is better than the 808 for multitasking, but worse for gaming.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 01:37 PM
    Actually I read somewhere that the 625 is better than the 808 for multitasking, but worse for gaming.

Posted via CB10
    It has better power efficiency (and will run cooler too), better multitasking, but worse single threaded performance and a weaker gpu. I think it'll suit my uses better than the Priv, but I'd have preferred the newest middrange soc, because as it stands we're going to be starting a year behind again.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 03:15 PM
    I can't see them using a 625. Maybe last year but not 2017 surely?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 04:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    The SoC was only introduced in Feb of this year, and didn't appear in devices for some time after that (I believe Aug).

The Moto Z Play just came out in September. The Oppo R9S was October.
    Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime in November.

"The Qualcomm� Snapdragon� 625 processor uses leading-edge 14 nm technology to power premium experiences in high-tier smartphones without draining the battery."
    Last edited by conite; 12-04-16 at 04:43 PM.
    12-04-16 04:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yah man, I read that the 625 was coded to start working slower when the calendar year ends with 7 and above...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    shawndawg likes this.
    12-04-16 04:54 PM
    The SoC was only introduced in Feb of this year, and didn't appear in devices for some time after that (I believe Aug).

The Moto Z Play just came out in September. The Oppo R9S was October.
    Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime in November.

"The Qualcomm� Snapdragon� 625 processor uses leading-edge 14 nm technology to power premium experiences in high-tier smartphones without draining the battery."
    Shhhhh, don't burst the bubble of the "bigger numbers have to be better!" crowd.

12-04-16 04:55 PM
    Mercury won't need as much gpu horsepower because it will have a smaller screen (roughly 2/3) than an equivalent size touchscreen device.
    12-04-16 06:42 PM
    It has better power efficiency (and will run cooler too), better multitasking, but worse single threaded performance and a weaker gpu. I think it'll suit my uses better than the Priv, but I'd have preferred the newest middrange soc, because as it stands we're going to be starting a year behind again.

Posted via CB10
    Being out of date means that's it's probably an in-house design, then.
    12-04-16 07:09 PM
    Shhhhh, don't burst the bubble of the "bigger numbers have to be better!" crowd.

Yes, let's put a damn 830 in it, price it fracking $999 then nobody buys the fracking thing. It'll definitely be the fastest phone ever... to be deep-sixed and taken off the shelves.
    glwerry likes this.
    12-04-16 07:17 PM

Look at the Moto Z Play instead, with the same SD625. Huawei's phones lag because of that POS EMUI software.

DezertDwella likes this.
    12-04-16 07:25 PM
    How times have changed! I remember the 8520 with something silly like 600mhz single core CPU.

Even if you have the fastest processor in the world. Without optimisation on the software side it will be useless.

Still rocking the BlackBerry Q10 which uses the Snapdragon S4 1.5Ghz dual core.. I'm a heavy user and have never experienced lag or freezes.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm, Jrox74, grover5 and 3 others like this.
    12-04-16 07:44 PM
    Same here, Q10, and whatever he said!

Posted via CB10
    howsjau and Plazmic Flame like this.
    12-04-16 10:37 PM
    My LG GPad 8.3 tablet runs on a modest Snapdragon 600, and works perfectly smooth with Cyanogen Android 6.

A smartphone with a 625 and an optimised Nougat could runs perfectly too, and the big advantage will be a far better battery consumption than the one from Snapdragon 808/810/820/830.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 12:19 AM
    Could have been much worse and had 617 or 652 which might have been Vienna, Mercury looks like they improved it significantly but at cost of longer wait. It will be a bit disappointing in terms of performance compared to flagship phones when out if 625 is what they use though. Similar CPU and GPU performance with more modern achitecture to what is in Passport in 2017 but with better power consumption and faster internal memory than PRIV which should make it feel less laggy and shouldn't overheat.

I do wish they either upgrade to an 835 or release also a Premium version of same device with upgraded specs as will make phone last a longer time without feeling too dated. 835 offers a lot of performance improvement and should be also more power efficient. UFS2.1 and much faster CPU and GPU would make it feel like a super computer in pocket versus a low end device like with 625 which over 3 years ago is satisfactory performance but would have been slower than flagship iPhone 5S back even then. BlackBerry will probably price it with 625 close to 835 devices too which might make it even more of struggle to sell well. It wouldn't have been so bad if it came out already 2-3 months ago like Moto Z Play. It will be strange if they call it DTEK70 too as it might be more pricier than than the DTEK60 but will be a lot slower in terms of performance.

Hopefully BlackBerry are still considering releasing last in-house device with a flagship SoC, much better way to go out in my opinion and Mercury leaked picture looks really good. If not, hopefully they get a decent partner onboard that will release BlackBerry keyboard phones with updated specs.
    12-05-16 02:40 AM
    Yah man, I read that the 625 was coded to start working slower when the calendar year ends with 7 and above...

Me too.
    12-05-16 04:14 AM

Standards change. I bet you won't buy a 2009 Snapdragon s4 based phone in 2017, right? because in 2009 it was a very fast cpu.
    After playing with 820,821,835 I definitely feel that Priv's 808 is slow and old.

Besides that, Android is an extremely bloated OS and almost all apps run on Java.
    Every new OS version requires more performance (usually) than the previous.
    12-05-16 05:48 AM
    Standards change. I bet you won't buy a 2009 Snapdragon s4 based phone in 2017, right? because in 2009 it was a very fast cpu.
    After playing with 820,821,835 I definitely feel that Priv's 808 is slow and old.

Besides that, Android is an extremely bloated OS and almost all apps run on Java.
    The 625 is brand new. It is the perfect balance of performance and battery-efficiency for a workhorse device.

The Mercury will probably be priced at $549-$599 already. It would be crazy to push it higher.
    12-05-16 06:35 AM
    The 625 is brand new. It is the perfect balance of performance and battery-efficiency for a workhorse device.

The Mercury will probably be priced at $549-$599 already. It would be crazy to push it higher.
    He's asking why isn't BlackBerry raiding Qualcomm's office to get the next prototype.
    12-05-16 06:39 AM

Oh yes, 2009, that is the same as comparing a CPU made in 2016 to be used in the beginning of 2017. Thanks for clearing that up, you're so knowledgeable.

Mirko935 and DaDaDogg like this.
    12-05-16 07:26 AM
    He's asking why isn't BlackBerry raiding Qualcomm's office to get the next prototype.
    Lmao! Someone needs to show the execs at BB the show Vikings for inspiration...

12-05-16 07:27 AM
    Oh yes, 2009, that is the same as comparing a CPU made in 2016 to be used in the beginning of 2017. Thanks for clearing that up, you're so knowledgeable.

I'll probably add that it only started sampling in Q1 2016, first devices didn't even made it to the market a few months ago:

Compare | Device Database | PDAdb.net
    12-05-16 07:41 AM
226 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD