Now that we know the Mercury will have a 3:2 screen, I made a couple crude comparisons between the Mercury and the iPhone and Galaxy using displaywars.com and MS Paint. (if someone can do something more sophisticated you're welcome to!)

These are assuming the Mercury has a 4.5" screen, which I don't think has been confirmed but all leaks/reports say it will be 4.5".

Also note that the image has been rotated, so if you're looking at the height/weight measurements, switch the height and weight numbers.

Screen size comparison-mercury-vs-iphone.png

You can see that the Mercury's screen is almost exactly the same size as the iPhone as measured in screen area (difference is 0.09 square inches.)

Screen size comparison-mercury-vs-s7.png
    Last edited by consv93; 12-29-16 at 07:31 AM.
    12-28-16 10:29 PM
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Mercury/Passport comparison

Posted via CB10
    12-28-16 10:55 PM
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Mercury/Passport comparison

Posted via CB10
    Normal people don't care about the Passport, but since this is CrackBerry and you asked nicely:

Screen size comparison-mercury-vs-passport.png
    Nels and asiayeah like this.
    12-28-16 11:06 PM
    Normal people don't care about the Passport, but since this is CrackBerry and you asked nicely:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercury vs passport.png 
Views:	911 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	414975
    Haha - I'll try not to take offense to you implying I'm abnormal!

I was just curious to see, because for anyone (including me) moving from the Passport to the Mercury, adjusting back to a narrower screen size is going to take some getting used to.

Thanks for obliging!

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    12-29-16 12:52 AM
    Haha - I'll try not to take offense to you implying I'm abnormal!

I was just curious to see, because for anyone (including me) moving from the Passport to the Mercury, adjusting back to a narrower screen size is going to take some getting used to.

Thanks for obliging!

Posted via CB10
    Oh, how I wish the width of the Mercury could be the same size as the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-16 01:07 AM
    That'd be a pkb tablet, which isn't a bad idea.

Posted via CB10
    Biggles and Sigewif like this.
    12-29-16 01:17 AM
    Thanks a lot OP !!!! By chance, could you also do one to compare with the Priv ? Since i believe quite a few of us will stwich from Priv to Mercury. Thanks a lot !
    12-29-16 01:29 AM
    Oh, how I wish the width of the Mercury could be the same size as the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Oh how I wouldn't...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    johnmarki likes this.
    12-29-16 02:20 AM
    I'm using the Classic and to me it's darn near perfect size and phone. Can you do one for the Classic and maybe I won't dread the potential size
    12-29-16 02:36 AM
    Good thread, classic +1

Posted via CB10
    PALoeza and velkod like this.
    12-29-16 02:54 AM
    I'm using the Classic and to me it's darn near perfect size and phone. Can you do one for the Classic and maybe I won't dread the potential size
    Screen size comparison-mercury-vs-classic.png

Mercury in purple, Classic in green
    12-29-16 03:04 AM
    Nice work OP. I was also trying to figure out the dimensions of the device itself. By my findings, it SHOULD be about 150 x 72 x ?? mm. Without a side shot, I can't determine the thickness. The same ruler graphic was used on a Moto Z Play (1080 x 1920px @ 5.5") to show its accuracy.

By comparison, here are the dimensions from comparable devices:
    Nexus 6P - 159.3 x 77.8 x 7.3 mm
    iPhone 7 Plus - 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm
    Moto Z Play - 153.3 x 75.3 x 5.2 mm
    BlackBerry Priv - 147 x 77.2 x 9.4 mm

Screen size comparison-measurements.jpg

Edit: If the screen is closer 4.64" like the leaked screenshot has shown, then the dimensions of the Mercury might be closer to 152 x 76 mm. That would put it very close to the Moto Z Play.
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 01-02-17 at 04:46 AM.
    12-29-16 03:14 AM
    Sweet post OP. Thanks for doing this. I'm a nut for this type of thing, I've actually made a mock up design of it for fun outta cardstock and printout that I made

 �lack�erry PASSPORT 
    12-29-16 03:31 AM
    Wow. Now I've seen it, I do dread it (if accurate, obviously). The key will be the balance, ie how it feels in the hand.
    velkod likes this.
    12-29-16 03:36 AM
    Oh how I wouldn't...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    That is why you are YOU and I am me.

Posted via CB10
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    12-29-16 03:37 AM
    Nice work OP. I was also trying to figure out the dimensions of the device itself. By my findings, it SHOULD be about 150 x 72 x ?? mm. Without a side shot, I can't determine the thickness. The same ruler graphic was used on a Moto Z Play (1080 x 1920px @ 5.5") to show its accuracy.

By comparison, here are the dimensions from comparable devices:
    Nexus 6P - 159.3 x 77.8 x 7.3 mm
    iPhone 7 Plus - 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm
    Moto Z Play - 153.3 x 75.3 x 5.2 mm
    BlackBerry Priv - 147 x 77.2 x 9.4 mm
    I was hoping for a keyboard very similar to the Classic's, but with a 4.5 inch screen and overall dimensions of about 150 x 71 mm (5.9 x 2.8 inches) it looks like Mercury will have a keyboard very similar to the PRIV's with lower height more rectangular keys.
    12-29-16 12:28 PM
    I was hoping for a keyboard very similar to the Classic's, but with a 4.5 inch screen and overall dimensions of about 150 x 71 mm (5.9 x 2.8 inches) it looks like Mercury will have a keyboard very similar to the PRIV's with lower height more rectangular keys.
    True, but one of the issues with the Priv is how shallow the key travel is. Hopefully the Mercury is much more tactile to with a farther key travel
    12-29-16 12:33 PM
    True, but one of the issues with the Priv is how shallow the key travel is. Hopefully the Mercury is much more tactile to with a farther key travel
    Since the keyboard doesn't have to slide under the screen, there should be lots of room for more key travel.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    12-29-16 01:38 PM
    So it looks like it's literally a Classic that is stretched out.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-16 01:44 PM
    But the size of each key is also an issue on the Priv (for me at least). Given the width of the device for the Mercury, it sure looks like the keyboard will be just as bad (ie in terms of key size) as the Priv. For me, a deal breaker.
    12-29-16 01:48 PM
    So it looks like it's literally a Classic that is stretched out.
    But with more of a PRIV keyboard and navigation keys replacing the tool-belt.
    12-29-16 02:30 PM
    Might consider the phone. But i have a Priv. Why should I upgrade to a smaller screen and not a huge spec upgrade. Just asking and looking for arguments both ways.
    12-29-16 05:03 PM
    Might consider the phone. But i have a Priv. Why should I upgrade to a smaller screen and not a huge spec upgrade. Just asking and looking for arguments both ways.
    I can't speak for anyone but myself. As a current Priv user, I think the Mercury should be easier to use on a daily basis.

For one, it looks more ergonomic where the bottom corners are rounded. The Priv's sharper corners sort of digs into the palms after extensive use. I also find myself too lazy to flip the keyboard out as the phone feels really tall and sort of unbalanced compared to the candy bar form factors from previous devices. The physical keys feel a bit more numb than usual.

The build quality is mostly great, though there is more play in the body than normal, the downside of having a sliding mechanism. The cameras are decent, though bad in low light settings. The front camera is almost useless I think it won't be difficult for the Mercury to beat it in that regard.

Lastly, and probably most important to me will be the battery. Based on measurements from other SD625 devices, I expect significantly greater endurance.

A lot of this sounds minor but it adds up and you notice these nuances on an everyday basis.
    Plazmic Flame and Nels like this.
    12-29-16 05:37 PM
    Based on my previous experiences with winmo pda phone, I believe 3:2 ratio is better as it will have an ample estate for keyboard.

But when combined with the pkb, now I think that this phone is stretched a little bit which will make it awkward to hold. Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-29-16 07:50 PM
    Thanks a lot OP !!!! By chance, could you also do one to compare with the Priv ? Since i believe quite a few of us will stwich from Priv to Mercury. Thanks a lot !
    Attachment 414984
    12-30-16 01:33 AM
39 12