After several years of Samsung Galaxy S#s (currently an S5), I cannot wait to return to a PKB. The April availability of the Keyone is a bummer, and makes me wonder if it's really worth waiting for when I can buy a Priv for $200 less and have it in my PKB-loving paws this week. I'd love to hear your unvarnished opinions on both options!

My priorities:
    - NOT sluggish. (My Samsung will take 15 seconds now to open my inbox, open an email, and begin to type)
    - long battery life
    - viewability in sunlight

Things that don't matter to me:
    - games
    - keyboard size (I was perfectly happy with the shallow, flat PKB of the Samsung Captivate Glide for a while).
    - "premium" feel - I'll need to stick a case on whatever I get.

Things that make me go hmmmm:
    - I like the full-sized screen of the Priv since I sometimes watch videos on my phone while working out.
    - the Priv's reported heat issues are concerning - I remember this happening in the olden days with my BBs - seemed like it was associated with the need for a battery pull.
    - Priv can be had now for $200 less than $550 in a month
    - But if battery will last significantly longer than the Priv, and the processor will be significantly better and avoid sluggishness, I would wait and pay $550... What do you Crackberry experts recommend?
    Last edited by warrigal; 02-27-17 at 07:52 PM.
    02-27-17 07:01 PM
    I'm not a BB expert by any means. My Priv (Verizon), is only sluggish when waking up in the morning, battery life is good, like you I don't play games, keyboard is too small and flat for me. No heat problems but the screen is too long for my purpose. Price doesn't matter to me if the phone works well. I'm getting the K1.
    02-27-17 07:23 PM

My priorities:
    - NOT sluggish. (My Samsung will take 15 seconds now to open my inbox, open an email, and begin to type)
    - long battery life
    - viewability in sunlight

Things that make me go hmmmm:
    - I like the full-sized screen of the Priv since I sometimes watch videos on my phone while working out.
    - the Priv's reported heat issues are concerning - I remember this happening in the olden days with my BBs - seemed like it was associated with the need for a battery pull.
    - Priv can be had now for $200 less than $550 in a month
    - But if battery will last significantly longer than the Priv, and the processor will be significantly better and avoid sluggishness, I would wait and pay $550... What do you Crackberry experts recommend?
    I have the Priv and will be getting two KEYones in my household soon.

The screen is a nice size. It rarely gets hot but I rarely play games. It is definitely not sluggish like you describe. I think the battery on the KEYone will last longer. On a moderate day of use on my Priv I have to recharge around supper to last till bedtime. The Priv can be had for cheap now that it's been out a while.

The KEYone looks to have a decent sized screen, excellent battery life and of course a very good keyboard.
    02-27-17 10:56 PM
    If sluggishness and battery is a priority, get the KEYone.

My Priv can get sluggish sometimes and I have to wait for it.

Buying it now would be a mistake IMO. Wait 1 month for the KEYone.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    02-27-17 11:18 PM
    Priv definitely has overheating issue. I had two before, and both had the same problem.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 11:32 PM
    Both!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 11:32 PM
    KeyOne for sure. Priv keyboard is not good and KeyOne seems amazing.

How does your Samsung take 15 seconds to open an email? That really makes me love my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 11:34 PM
    Thanks for all your comments. I'm also poring over all the Priv threads and comments I can find. I'm genuinely torn - I could have a Priv this week for <$300, and I do like the idea of a full screen. I've been using a phone originally released February 2014; the Priv is 1.5 years younger, so it's almost certainly an upgrade, right? Comparison between Priv and Galaxy S5.

On the other hand, I like the idea of fast - watching Mr. Mobile's Priv Redo Video and then his K1 Hands on video made it look like the K1 was quite a bit quicker (links posed below for reference).
    Also, this sounds lame but I will need a rugged case (between trail running, dogs, and constantly carrying too many things at once, I am hard on my phones). Priv has nothing out there; the form factor of the K1 lends itself more to a rugged case.

How does your Samsung take 15 seconds to open an email? That really makes me love my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Ha! It goes like this:
    <click Touchdown icon>
    One-Mississippi-two-Mississippi-three-Mississippi-four-Mississippi-five-Mississippi
    <Touchdown opens!! Click on individual e-mail to read>
    One-Mississippi etc to five.
    <Individual e-mail has finally opened! Hit reply>
    One-Mississippi etc. to five.
    <finally can start typing reply>
    I'm not exaggerating either - it's pretty awesome Trying to use the GPS or dial numbers is also hugely frustrating with the same delays. One day I will go to dial 911 and I'll be mugged while trying to open the phone dialer and counting one-mississippi-two-mississippi....

Video links for reference:

Alan Wei and Plazmic Flame like this.
    02-28-17 02:44 AM
    I have a Priv and I've only experienced the odd bit of lag or app crash, generally it's pretty good. The keyboard is fine once you get used to it and I have to say it is a very slick and attractive phone when you have it in your hand, pictures don't do it justice.

I will probably get the K1 because I get every BlackBerry but if you don't already own one then a Priv for the price they are currently going for is an absolute steal. You might also be better off buying the Priv and waiting 6 months for the K1 to come down a little, also bearing in mind it tends to be the first Ines off the production line that suffer the most issues. A K1 from later in the year may well be more reliable.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 03:03 AM
    I should mention though that the Priv screen is woeful in sunlight compared to the Passport at least, not sure vs other Androids. It is a brilliant screen when you can see it though!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 03:04 AM
    I had 3 Priv's that all ending up being unmanageable with software issues... They would crash, the phone would freeze and when I took a photo the device would power down... I put it down to early software builds as I got it on day one. The last one I had, got a good nine months out of it before it started grinding itself to a halt. I've been using an iPhone these 4 months or so, but have just preordered my KEYOne.

Honestly, a lot of people on here doing side by side specs comparisons... I don't fully understand why, but I think the general mood is that the KEYOne as a processing and end user device would / should be better than the Priv. (As you can tell, I am no tech expert.)

I am hoping the build quality on the KEYOne is better than the Priv. All of mine had that soft / squishy back panel. That used to drive me round the bend.

I wish I could help you make your decision, but everything is subjective and individual. All I can tell you is I was going to get another Price, but when the rumour mill picked up with this device, I thought I'd hold out. I am glad I did, because I think this will be worth the wait.
    02-28-17 03:49 AM
    Unless you really want/need the longer battery life or dislike the sliding form factor, I'd say definitely go for the Priv. For half the price (BlackBerry Priv currently going for under $280 in US - GSMArena blog) you get around the same performance and a larger and better screen (also AMOLED). And, as you said yourself, you can have it today.

It only heats up considerably if playing games and since you say that doesn't matter to you, I don't believe you'll notice it heat up often, especially if you put it inside a case.

A user posted a video comparing Priv's speed to an S7 here (unfortunately it's no longer available, but have a look at this thread anyway): Is the BlackBerry Priv performance really this bad? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

As I said in that topic and several times elsewhere, I have never seen any performance or other issues (lags, slowdowns, crashes etc.) on Priv that weren't directly related to a misbehaving third-party app.
    02-28-17 05:15 AM
    priv is the way to go.
    no more heating problems
    best of both worlds
    physical keyboards and virtual keyboards.
    I love it soo much, that I bought two of them.
    and will gladly buy another one if either of them is lost or destroyed
    Alan Wei and Mirko935 like this.
    02-28-17 05:18 AM
    Priv form factor is brutal, I had one and had to return it it just was a terrible device and the keyboard was cramped and no good and rarely used since you had to slide it up. IMHO if you are looking for a PKB device the KEYone is the only option. A month wait is no big deal.
    02-28-17 06:32 AM
    Unless you really want/need the longer battery life or dislike the sliding form factor, I'd say definitely go for the Priv. For half the price (BlackBerry Priv currently going for under $280 in US - GSMArena blog) you get around the same performance and a larger and better screen (also AMOLED). And, as you said yourself, you can have it today.

It only heats up considerably if playing games and since you say that doesn't matter to you, I don't believe you'll notice it heat up often, especially if you put it inside a case.

A user posted a video comparing Priv's speed to an S7 here (unfortunately it's no longer available, but have a look at this thread anyway): Is the BlackBerry Priv performance really this bad? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

As I said in that topic and several times elsewhere, I have never seen any performance or other issues (lags, slowdowns, crashes etc.) on Priv that weren't directly related to a misbehaving third-party app.

280 rocks! Close to 2 times cheaper than K1.......
    02-28-17 08:31 AM
    Thanks for all your comments. I'm also poring over all the Priv threads and comments I can find. I'm genuinely torn - I could have a Priv this week for <$300, and I do like the idea of a full screen. I've been using a phone originally released February 2014; the Priv is 1.5 years younger, so it's almost certainly an upgrade, right? Comparison between Priv and Galaxy S5.

On the other hand, I like the idea of fast - watching Mr. Mobile's Priv Redo Video and then his K1 Hands on video made it look like the K1 was quite a bit quicker (links posed below for reference).
    Also, this sounds lame but I will need a rugged case (between trail running, dogs, and constantly carrying too many things at once, I am hard on my phones). Priv has nothing out there; the form factor of the K1 lends itself more to a rugged case.

Ha! It goes like this:
    <click Touchdown icon>
    One-Mississippi-two-Mississippi-three-Mississippi-four-Mississippi-five-Mississippi
    <Touchdown opens!! Click on individual e-mail to read>
    One-Mississippi etc to five.
    <Individual e-mail has finally opened! Hit reply>
    One-Mississippi etc. to five.
    <finally can start typing reply>
    I'm not exaggerating either - it's pretty awesome Trying to use the GPS or dial numbers is also hugely frustrating with the same delays. One day I will go to dial 911 and I'll be mugged while trying to open the phone dialer and counting one-mississippi-two-mississippi....

Video links for reference:

Thanks for line up 2 videos again. Priv does have a pause or slow 1 sec response for apps... although it might be cheaper a half price now compare with KeyOne.....

02-28-17 08:46 AM
    Priv definitely has overheating issue. I had two before, and both had the same problem.

Posted via CB10
    I think the overheating is a thing of the past. I have had my PRIV for 2.5 months and the only time that I get heating is if I am doing heavy, long FB reading or large downloads, such as going to a new version of Android or doing multiple updates to apps.

My battery life is excellent.

Keyboard is quite reasonable although the KEYone will likely be better.
    xandros9 likes this.
    02-28-17 09:57 AM
    I had said I will never ever get an android device again...because of my Lenovo A10 tablet no OS update since I bought it...no progression to Nougat...I am getting the K1 for Blackberry excellent hardware but I am skeptical of this Andtoid Platform ...wish it was available on Blackberry OS 10
    02-28-17 10:07 AM
    I had said I will never ever get an android device again...because of my Lenovo A10 tablet no OS update since I bought it...no progression to Nougat...I am getting the K1 for Blackberry excellent hardware but I am skeptical of this Andtoid Platform ...wish it was available on Blackberry OS 10
    Lenovo is by far not a standard for mobile OS update. Get yourself a Pixel tablet and you'll be happy.
    02-28-17 10:46 AM
    I've had the PRIV with Verizon since release. I'm a heavy to very heavy user and battery will NOT last throughout the day. Not a huge problem because I can quick charge when in the office or on the go in my car. Sluggishness does show its face when heavy multi tasking but otherwise golden.

I would wait if I were you. You might even see the PRIV come down a bit more after the release of the K1.
    phuoc likes this.
    02-28-17 11:00 AM
    I have a PRIV and I love it, except for the battery, which is not good. I will get a K1 but probably wait until June or so. I'd like to see how people like the phone first.
    02-28-17 11:04 AM
    Thanks for all your comments - very helpful. I decided to spring for the Priv for $280. I loved my slider phones before (the Torch was my favorite BB form factor), and even with the caveats regarding battery life, it sounds like it will still perform better than my S5. I can always get the KeyOne down the road once I see how people like it, and in the meantime I'll at least have had the Priv to compare. Can't wait to come back to the BB fold!
    jakie55 and Mirko935 like this.
    03-01-17 01:09 AM
    Thanks for all your comments - very helpful. I decided to spring for the Priv for $280. I loved my slider phones before (the Torch was my favorite BB form factor), and even with the caveats regarding battery life, it sounds like it will still perform better than my S5. I can always get the KeyOne down the road once I see how people like it, and in the meantime I'll at least have had the Priv to compare. Can't wait to come back to the BB fold!
    I hope you'll like it as much as most of us do. Feel free to share your experiences and ask any questions you may have once you receive it.
    03-01-17 02:27 AM
    I think you made the right choice, I paid virtually double that price and I'm not disappointed. It has it's little quirks but it's a phenomenally underrated device, probably thanks to BB's legendary marketing ;-)

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 03:42 AM
    Plus it's probably the last phone ever with that beautiful logo on the front :-(

Posted via CB10
    03-01-17 03:43 AM
34 12