Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 12:49 PM
    Yes I know it is worse
    02-08-17 12:57 PM
    *twit mode on*

Rant here.... lol

New phone and the new cost(s)...
    Blackberry Merc = $$$$
    having to buy NEW Accessories that nobody seems to take into consideration +++++$$$$$$$$

Switched from BB Q10 to a BB DTEK50.... Could even use the old case I had (surprisingly as it was snug enough)
    Could use the Q10 DOCKING STATION for my bedside on the Priv and the DTEK50... but not the 60 (Thus saving money not having to buy a new one)

New Phone... USB Type C.... = New Docking station .... ++$$$$
    Purchase extra USB Cables for the car, the office... + God knows what else you may need a handy cable for...
    or Purchasing a new Car Charger - if you don't already have a splitter with USB ports in it already

/end of being a twit lol

A buddy of mine also wants to get one as well, he'd be switching from a BB Classic and kinda has the same sentiment but oh well lol
    Move along folks, nothing to see here. Just someone who admittedly is being a twit who is just frustrated with extra costs associated with new phones for those of us who like to protect our phones with cases, holsters, screen protectors, etc.

Posted with my  Classic
    zephyr613 likes this.
    02-08-17 02:35 PM
    *twit mode on*

Rant here.... lol

Blackberry Merc = $$$$
    having to buy NEW Accessories that nobody seems to take into consideration +++++$$$$$$$$

Switched from BB Q10 to a BB DTEK50.... Could even use the old case I had (surprisingly as it was snug enough)
    Could use the Q10 DOCKING STATION for my bedside on the Priv and the DTEK50... but not the 60 (Thus saving money not having to buy a new one)

Purchase extra USB Cables for the car, the office... + God knows what else you may need a handy cable for...
    or Purchasing a new Car Charger - if you don't already have a splitter with USB ports in it already

/end of being a twit lol

A buddy of mine also wants to get one as well, he'd be switching from a BB Classic and kinda has the same sentiment but oh well lol
    The basic USB design hasn't changed in 20 years, so it finally reached its limits. Now speed have increased massively and you will able to send high quality video to monitors and TVs without DP, hdmi or DVI.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 03:44 PM
    U can buy adapters for micro USB to C I paid 5 bucks for a bag of them on amazon. Simply snap them on the end of ur micro USB and ur done

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 04:07 PM
    Apple
    lolz
    02-08-17 04:29 PM
    U can buy adapters for micro USB to C I paid 5 bucks for a bag of them on amazon. Simply snap them on the end of ur micro USB and ur done
    Yes, you CAN, but you defeat the whole point of the upgraded standard by doing this. Those adapters may be okay as a short-term fix, or when away from your normal gear, but the smart way to go is to actually upgrade at least your primary charging/data transfer locations with a real cable attached to a modern charger and/or USB 3/3.1/C port on the computer.
    02-08-17 05:09 PM
    I think you used this thread just to release your anger

And yes, it's a huge problem updating these days.

For like 20 years you buy a computer (sorry no phones for that age) and you can keep the same hard drive or monitor or speakers, right now you buy a new mouse and need to update you AC supply :P making a comparison with the smartphone area.
    02-08-17 05:14 PM
    For like 20 years you buy a computer (sorry no phones for that age) and you can keep the same hard drive or monitor or speakers
    sorta. you figure hard drives went from IDE to SATA a number of years ago, monitors went from VGA to DVI to DisplayPort. of even 4:3 to 16:9. And sure you continue using them after those large changeovers, but you loose the benefits you gain from change. acceptable sure, but there's a limit to the old tech.

Micro usb to usb c, isnt so bad. whens the last time you had to do this? My last 5-6 phones were micro-usb, i'd hope my next 5-6 will be usb-c. and even if theyre not
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-08-17 05:21 PM
    OP, you can get an adapter for your C cable. But seriously, I think you will like how fast it charges.
    02-08-17 06:22 PM
    Yes yes ! Let the hate flow through you !

Posted via CB10
    02-08-17 06:39 PM
    Remember when people complained about going from mini to micro usb? Me neither. I still use an adapter from my first long mini usb cable to adapt to micro (they don't make cables long enough in the phone boxes anymore). It's currently plugged into my priv dock. We advance and adapt. Sheesh.
    02-08-17 08:12 PM
    And here I expected real complaints. What a let down.
    These first world problems are for realz! You know how many years I've been driving around, trying to find leaded gas?!?
    Thud Hardsmack and ppeters914 like this.
    02-08-17 09:02 PM
    These first world problems are for realz! You know how many years I've been driving around, trying to find leaded gas?!?
    LMAO

Posted with my  Classic
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-08-17 09:40 PM
    Ok? So you're basically angry about spending money on phone accessories that will be incompatible with the Mercury? You seriously cannot expect every phone from the same manufacturer to make accessories that will fit all of their devices. If things were like that, there would hardly be any change.
    02-08-17 09:49 PM
    USB C was a must. The initial turnover is a pain but it's well worth it in the long run. Micro USB will be grandfathered out and you'll forget it existed in a few years. Cables are cheap, docking station isn't really a necessity. How do you think apple customers felt when Apple changed to the lightning connector. Every single accessory in the world was built to cater to that old connector.
    02-08-17 11:20 PM
    Definitely frustrating... but USB C should solve a whole bunch of issues that would require extensive device repair. I've had issues with the mini USB port on my last two devices. USB C should help prevent some of those issues going forward.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-09-17 07:46 AM
    I'm completely fine with it. Been running micro USB for so long I'm okay with the upgrade in tech. I already have quick chargers at home, work and in the car so all I will need is extra cables.
    02-09-17 07:53 AM
    sorta. you figure hard drives went from IDE to SATA a number of years ago, monitors went from VGA to DVI to DisplayPort. of even 4:3 to 16:9. And sure you continue using them after those large changeovers, but you loose the benefits you gain from change. acceptable sure, but there's a limit to the old tech.

Micro usb to usb c, isnt so bad. whens the last time you had to do this? My last 5-6 phones were micro-usb, i'd hope my next 5-6 will be usb-c. and even if theyre not
    OK, I think you didn't get my point.

I was mentioned that as an example that how years ago technology didn't change that fast as today.

I used my Commodore C64, Sinclair ZX Spectrum and ZX81 with the same TV (yes TV) at that time, now the way we improve requires a lot of changes, that was basically the example and how that effect can create the feeling that today the change is kind of wrong because it's not a single thing you need to change but the whole system because the new requirements for a better experience or more power requires a totally different hardware.

02-09-17 08:17 AM
    This thread is funny.

@OP: Welcome to capitalism. Enjoy simply the luxury that you have the possibility to buy those things from your earned money. Btw, nobody forces you to do so!

Posted via CB10
    02-09-17 08:25 AM
    My 3 most recently purchased hard drives look like this:

The REAL cost of buying into the Mercury - New accessories, etc!-411trwhy8cl.jpgThe REAL cost of buying into the Mercury - New accessories, etc!-intel.web.416.234-100613940-orig.jpg

They're virtually identical to the size of a stick of Big Red chewing gum.

Here are a couple of size comparisons, next to 2.5" SSD drives:

The REAL cost of buying into the Mercury - New accessories, etc!-ssd-compared-m.2-ssd.jpg

Technology moves forward.
    ppeters914 and BigBadWulf like this.
    02-09-17 01:41 PM
    *twit mode on*

Rant here.... lol

Blackberry Merc = $$$$

/end of being a twit lol

Hey be glad it's not apple. The cable would be 20 bucks the charger 30.....welcome to technology
    02-09-17 01:54 PM
    *twit mode on*

Rant here.... lol

Blackberry Merc = $$$$

/end of being a twit lol

Capitalism? It's how they make money.
    02-09-17 01:57 PM
    I think the OP is on to something.

There are a few things that have been labeled progress that really aren't, even in BB world:

USB-C for charging. There are already micro USB cables that are fully reversible, and the other benefits of C are negligible except to accessory vendors.
    AMOLED. Unless you watch movies on your phone (and let's be honest, how many do?), it is useless and short lived, and in any case, it is power INEFFICIENT for almost everything else you do; and best of all, is hard to see in full daylight.
    Higher than IPS resolution. Kills your battery and the benefit cannot be seen, which is the true and only purpose of a screen.
    No removable battery. This one is so obvious I won't debase myself to explain.
    GLASS BODIES. Wow, what genius first conceived that something you carry with you like car keys should be slippery, breakable glass?
    GPS. Kills battery and used primarily to spy on you.
    Keyboard. "I just love my VKB!" Yes, because most of your communications are along the lines of "How r u? Y cant I C you?" and because you cannot otherwise spell without, literally, constant assistance. Or you are so bumble fingered that asking you to press the key you want is just too much..
    NFC. What the hell does it do to improve my life?
    Credit card payment. Because you will presumably be gripping your phone like the Hope Diamond most of the time.

So, the Mercury infringes most, but not all.

But I doubt the OP will have to buy extra batteries, at least--because there aren't any.
    Last edited by CharlieV; 02-09-17 at 02:28 PM.
    02-09-17 02:01 PM
    No empathy here at all.

I used to expect a belt holster and a charger. Now no holster, but no big deal because I just want to by an OEM case and decide which one I want. Still get charger, but I end up continuing to use the BlackBerry charger I'm already using. Every thing else is À la carte

Roll with it.
    02-09-17 02:02 PM
88 1234