View Poll Results: How do you think BlackBerry and TCL have handled the KEYone launch process?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Handled well

9 10.59%
  • Handled poorly

76 89.41%
    There's a clear split between those who think the launch has been botched, and those who think it's been fine or don't care. Let's see which side has more...
    05-18-17 01:48 PM
    Confusing and Disappointing for me!!
    05-18-17 01:51 PM
    very poor in terms of 1) communication 2) advertising/consumer education (nothing on any carrier site about the phone until pre order today! ) . It cost companies next to nothing to put up an info page, banner etc. weeks in advance to build hype/interest. They do it for iPhones, samsung galaxy devices etc.....why not blackberry?
    05-18-17 02:57 PM
    I had zero expectations that this would launch like an iPhone or a Galaxy, so was I disappointed? No. Welcome to the world.

In fact, as far as I can tell it still hasn't launched in the US. So there's no launch to talk about. That people here know about it thanks to MWC, for example, is irrelevant. That wasn't a consumer launch.
    05-18-17 03:00 PM
    There's a clear split between those who think the launch has been botched, and those who think it's been fine or don't care. Let's see which side has more...
    TCL/BBMob acts like they're doing us a favor releasing this phone. LOL.

Poor planning and execution. Too much hype but no product.
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    05-18-17 03:05 PM
    There was a launch? /s
    05-18-17 03:10 PM
    How does it compare to the latest Xiaomi, Lenovo, or ZTE launches? Compare apples to apples (pun intended).

I recently met a bunch of the senior TCL team in North America. Many of them have only been with the company for a short time. It's astonishing how all of this was put together in a matter of months.
    05-18-17 03:13 PM
    I had zero expectations that this would launch like an iPhone or a Galaxy, so was I disappointed? No. Welcome to the world.

In fact, as far as I can tell it still hasn't launched in the US. So there's no launch to talk about. That people here know about it thanks to MWC, for example, is irrelevant. That wasn't a consumer launch.
    This is how I feel as well. Most people in the US are still unaware about BlackBerry for the most part. If the four major US carriers can get the phone then awareness will change. People will be able to try out before buying. Also, the main target audience isn't regular consumers is often forgotten as well. There isn't a rush to get this phone out because it doesn't have any direct competitors. Getting carriers on board is the most important aspect in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    05-18-17 04:50 PM
    Overall disappointed. Not professional.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and anon(9710735) like this.
    05-18-17 04:56 PM
    Since there were only two choices, I voted well. Not because I truly think it has been a great rollout, but because it's a niche phone, with new partners, that can't fail.

So far most of the media has been positive.... So a slow roll out may have been prudent.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-18-17 04:57 PM
    How does it compare to the latest Xiaomi, Lenovo, or ZTE launches? Compare apples to apples (pun intended).

I recently met a bunch of the senior TCL team in North America. Many of them have only been with the company for a short time. It's astonishing how all of this was put together in a matter of months.
    You're so lucky! Did they hook you up with free keyone? I bet they're all chinese yea?
    05-18-17 05:03 PM

I agree with Conite. Looks like TCL is spending a lot of money on their first BlackBerry device launch, and are delivering a great product.

I can say that I believe they are rebuilding the BlackBerry name, maybe a little slow... but positive so far.
    05-18-17 05:40 PM
    For me it's still too early to decide. If there's enough stock in the U.S. such that everyone who orders one gets a unit by the end of June I'll say it was handled well enough. Despite some people on this forum clamoring about delays the general public won't know about it until it launches and they starts seeing ads in public channels.
    05-18-17 06:26 PM
    I think It's still early to tell but in general I think it's going ok. I could be wrong but I remember both bell and Telus saying they would have the device end of May so there is nothing surprising there.

TCL has a relationship to build with carriers as this is the only way their devices will be successful. Unlocked direct sales is not the way to go and I think it's perfectly normal that there are not pushing this at the moment.

Many of us have known of this device for a long time now and I get the frustration but crackberrians are not the be all and end all of TCL' success. They are taking it slow and not over extending themselves and hopefully the KeyOne will sell well.
    05-18-17 06:38 PM
    There is no USA launch yet.

Currently launched countries have been as promised.

One may not like or agree with TLC's launch schedule but that is not for the consumer to decide.
    05-18-17 07:40 PM
    Absolutely terrible launch. I moved on and ordered 300+ Pixels for my business. I won't put up with BlackBerry 's dismal performance any longer.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9710735) and mister2d like this.
    05-18-17 08:08 PM
    I'd like to see banner ads and highlights on carrier pages (not to mention the tv ads of yore) but the reality is this; (pseudo) BB hardware (now) appeals to a super small market. Ad space on carrier pages and what-not all cost something. And we can all moan that BB Mobile isn't doing enough. But so far, the pre-register in Canada has been *as advertized* and I was able to pre-order on May 18. If i get it between now and the 31st, I'll be happy. If KEYone is super successful, great. Maybe that means more development dollars. In the meantime, this is the phone I've been waiting for after getting used to Android on PRIV. It fits.
    05-18-17 08:10 PM
    Exactly as expected
    05-18-17 08:37 PM
    Absolutely terrible launch. I moved on and ordered 300+ Pixels for my business. I won't put up with BlackBerry 's dismal performance any longer.

Posted via CB10
    Better change your screen name. LOL
    05-18-17 08:46 PM
    Launched as promised. We had a firm date of the 18th which came with pre-ordering with one carrier and announcements from Bell. Telus has not announced but confirmed availability on the 31st to several of us when contacted.

I think Crackberryians are, on the whole, incredibly avid supporters of the brand. The frustrations some people communicate belie their love, but also their keen anticipation of this turn-around full-featured broad-spectrum device.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-17 09:06 PM
    I don't like the lack of information. Maybe a specific date was too much to ask back in January/February, but if they had at least said "mid/late May" or even "Beginning of Summer" it would've been enough for me. The lack of communication from BBMo for people who registered online is also a factor. I should've learned about the May 31st date from an email first, not from CrackBerry. I should've learned that it'd be releasing in the UK first, then other regions significantly later, from an email, not CrackBerry. I should've heard about the delay from an email, not from John Chen's investors call. I should already know where to buy the phone (Amazon? BBMo site? CrackBerry shop? Fry's Electronics?) And perhaps most of all, I should've already been able to pre-order the phone.

Are all phone launches (excluding Samsung/Apple) like this? I have no idea. I have never followed a phone release so closely before (in part because I don't care about slabs). I do know that the experience has certainly been...sub-optimal.
    05-18-17 09:20 PM
    I think the launch or whatever you want to call it, has been very poor. If pre-orders are going to be done, it should not be limited to one carrier and everyone else has to wait several weeks to get one.

Pre-orders should be at least available from BlackBerry Mobile for all on the same date. Communications of events has been very poorly done as well.

For all the people who signed up to register for pre-orders, only one email over the past several months and only to say you can pre-order from Roger's, that sucks to say the least.
    05-18-17 09:26 PM
    BlackBerry/TCL played some good marketing techniques here! They released phone with selfridges in limited quantity and so for +ve response on YouTube and print media. Those few hundred or thousands phones become advertising units.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    05-18-17 10:36 PM
    BlackBerry/TCL played some good marketing techniques here! They released phone with selfridges in limited quantity and so for +ve response on YouTube and print media. Those few hundred or thousands phones become advertising units.
    That's certainly some good spin on it.
    mister2d likes this.
    05-18-17 10:56 PM
    Terrible. Release date pushed back. Incredible lack of communication. Many of us signed up for updates waited forever for a single email. I still don't know if/how I can buy factory unlocked.
    05-18-17 11:22 PM
161 123 ...