I'm sure it has already been explained, but when you save an image in jpg format, it gets compressed, every time. So this photo was taken, the camera takes the raw data, processes and compresses it to jpg. He uploads it to twitter, who then compresses it again in order to resize the photo. Then it gets posted here, who compresses it again to resize it to cb size standards... Basically we need to see the original photo to be able to judge the quality.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-21-17 07:41 AM
    Good point and explanation!
    03-21-17 11:01 AM
    Here we go again!!! I've read in this thread that this pic is noisy (based on the smaller text on the report) we didn't take the shot and have no idea what the camera was set to focus on.....i think it's not fair to judge it as average yet. For me, any phone that delivers this kind of shot consistently and also produces similar quality in low light, focuses quickly and handles shakes and stabilisation fairly well is good enough. If I want anything better, then I'd use a proper camera. I don't need to have to have the best camera on my phone, I just need a very good one. But that's me. I think this shot is good enough for me, I only need BlackBerry to improve significantly if it's way behind the offerings from other devices.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3641385) and murphy_thom like this.
    03-21-17 12:41 PM
    Well DSLR won't fit in your pocket. We all want the best camera whatever the device, phone, compact, DSLR.
    03-22-17 12:33 PM
    It's odd how BlackBerry just has never been able to offer an excellent camera. It's always just OK. I guess they've just never considered it important enough to include.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 12:37 PM
    Yes, just over 0.6 of a megapixal, vs a 12 MP camera. You can expect much quality from the small size.
    03-22-17 12:38 PM
    It's odd how BlackBerry just has never been able to offer an excellent camera. It's always just OK. I guess they've just never considered it important enough to include.
    Certainly under Lazaridis and Basillie, BlackBerry didn't. It does make some sense, as at the time, they also had to produce handsets without cameras completely for secure environments. It wasn't enough to just remove or disable afterward.

As for quality, BlackBerry really needs to brand the camera; that way, it doesn't matter if the resolution is low, kinda like FaceTime cameras on iPad's, at 1.2 MP. (being sarcastic here)
    03-22-17 01:08 PM
    Well DSLR won't fit in your pocket. We all want the best camera whatever the device, phone, compact, DSLR.
    Speak for yourself......
    03-22-17 01:09 PM
    I think you are going too far to say what "we all" want. Different users want different features.
    03-22-17 02:38 PM
    Well, except it's occupational, you won't need a DSLR always. And when you do, you'd be prepared to carry it ( not in ur pockets).... plus when you do, you'll find that no phone would match up...at least not yet

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 02:41 PM
    Well, except it's occupational, you won't need a DSLR always. And when you do, you'd be prepared to carry it ( not in ur pockets).... plus when you do, you'll find that no phone would match up...at least not yet
    Even a decent pocketable point and shoot camera with a zoom lens will do much better than a phone with a fixed wide angle lens.
    jakie55 likes this.
    03-22-17 05:43 PM
    Hi guys! Shot was literally point and shoot in auto mode. If you're familiar with Twitter they recently made changes that make it so any tweeted image gets a ton of ugly JPEG compression added to it. This is a server/bandwidth thing to "optimize" the mobile experience.

I didn't stop to offload the image source I shot it straight to Twitter to share with you all. That said it's totally a tease! I can say that the camera performs really well even on preproduction software.

Coming from the Google Pixel camera quality and speed is important for me, and I feel confident the KEYone will meet my high expectations.
    That's all I needed to hear. Someone with a professional view (however much or little) and who's had one of the best rated device cameras long enough to compare both. I can take some positives from this even if the end product doesn't beat the Pixel, I'm certain my naked eyes will very likely not spot the differences in many random shots. Might spot a few, depending on how steady the hands that shoot are and also how good the shooter is too cos some folks (like me) just ain't good at taking photos.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-17 01:19 PM
    Even a decent pocketable point and shoot camera with a zoom lens will do much better than a phone with a fixed wide angle lens.
    In the right hands. Most people want a dumbed down device that reliably captures unrehearsed to-be-shared memories.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    03-26-17 12:30 AM
    I totally enjoy my Olympus OMD 4:3 format camera, but I take more pictures with my phone, because of the convenience. I, for one, am happy with my "this is me beside the bus driver" pictures I got from the Passport, get from the Priv, and anticipate from the KEYone.
    03-27-17 03:15 AM
    I totally enjoy my Olympus OMD 4:3 format camera, but I take more pictures with my phone, because of the convenience. ...
    That's the difference between a high spec camera you leave at home and one that takes good pictures and is easy to take with you.
    jakie55 likes this.
    03-29-17 09:58 AM
65 123