Or any BlackBerry for that matter, and that includes the DTEKs and the Priv. At least until BlackBerry changes their mind on their approach on communicating software roadmaps. I might sound like melodramatic, but I think it's an issue.

Despite all those who keep going on how the KEYone is premium and justifies its price, it doesn't. KEYone is priced at least $150 over its competitors, for two things: the keyboard and the BlackBerry Android software.

If I'm paying $150 for that, I expect some sort of SLA on the software delivery. They infer that the BlackBerry Android phones matches Google in software and updates in their advertising, the fact is they are creeping towards fail to deliver. Those of us in the Beta program have repeatedly been asking if the existing phones will be updated to 7.1, and they refuse to give a straight answer. Closest thing we ever got was "getting they keyboard working was a challenge", and further questions were all ignored. We're not even asking for a date or timeline, just a simple yes or no, so we can stop asking.

With the move away from hardware and software now their core business, you would expect more resources being allocated to work on the only thing they are working on for phones, but the fact is it actually got worse. The past few months you can see the updates going from par with Google, to almost a week late. So much for the being the "most secure Android phone".

Imagine Microsoft not providing timelines on when Windows versions are going out of support and just telling people out of the blank as the time comes. At least if a Patch Tuesday is not happening, they would communicate that to everyone. Especially important if they are targeting the enterprise, even Ubuntu has LTS branches that are supported longer than usual.

Fast forward to a year later, replace the Priv with KEYone, it'll be in the exact same situation. And if anything by trend extrapolation, they might even just scrap all phone software completely, pay a loss to TCL and BB Merah Putih and writedown to break the licensing agreement. Who knows at this point, since they're not telling us anything.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to do well, since they are the last brand to even make a PKB phone that doesn't suck. And absolutely nothing against the hard-working team who's trying to deliver, but from all we can see, it's still business as usual for them with no buy-in from management.

It really is a case of "you had only one job."
    matthewkuhl and Dave Liao like this.
    03-12-17 11:29 AM
    You're preaching to the choir.

For a "software" company, they sure know how to screw up when it comes to software. People are crying & begging for Blend to work on Android or create an Android version, but nope, they EOL it. Remember the big hoopla they created when it was first launched and how it was touted as being something that productivity minded business people would hail as the the next best thing to sliced bread? It was again marketed towards "Enterprise/Business" people who just wanted to get things done (same story line that TCL is towing with the KEYone).

I've had so many friends on Android wishing for Blend to be released on Android so they could use it with their devices too, but NOPE. Nothing. Silence. BlackBerry decided to abandon it and nothing else was said about it. But you know what they figured would be something awesome? BlackBerry Notable! Yes, let's develop something new from the ground up. Round up the resources and have them start from scratch instead of building up on something we already have. Sounds like a great idea don't you think? Why give people something they want? We know better than them and they'd rather an app like Notable since we have to create an app which probably dozens like it already exist. Who would want an app like Blend? NOBODY. That's who. Just look at the Play Store. There's no other app like it so that obviously means nobody would want it.

Somebody else on here summed it up to something like this: "For a company that prides itself on communication devices and software, they sure do a terrible job at communicating"

BlackBerry- Definition of a treadmill company
    matthewkuhl and mona5804 like this.
    03-12-17 12:28 PM
    Oh yes the blend argument. You know why they EOL blend? Because no one was using it. They have the statistics on this, and they weren't going to port a under used software to Android.

Posted via CB10
    mona5804 likes this.
    03-12-17 12:30 PM
    In my Yoda voice:

Too upset you are, guide you the force will to the phone.
    Attached Thumbnails [Opinion] From here onwards, I am NOT recommending the KEYone to anyone.-blackberrydecisiontree.jpg  
    03-12-17 12:39 PM
    Imagine Microsoft not providing timelines on when Windows versions are going out of support and just telling people out of the blank as the time comes.
    I've had to call Microsoft support many times - they are far worse. Try calling them and asking about a feature you need or used to have and see if you get an answer.
    03-12-17 12:42 PM
    Some things in life are within my control, and i manage them. Lots of things in life are not within my control, and i decide how to manage myself in the circumstances.

Re blackberry, definitely not within my control, and i go with the flow ....
    03-12-17 12:46 PM
    Cool, one less preorder that might get in front of mine to worry about!
    03-12-17 12:47 PM
    Do other manufacturers give these kinds of roadmaps? BlackBerry used to be great with that, sad that they aren't keeping it up but I'm assuming rebuilding the company means some uncertainty and they'd rather not make promises that they can't keep
    03-12-17 12:52 PM
    150 dollar, it's more comparing the new devices show up in april and may. But that's fine but I compare it with the price of the dtek series, keyboard and some license for blackberry that the price should be around 479 dollar 529 euro.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-17 12:54 PM
    Do other manufacturers give these kinds of roadmaps? BlackBerry used to be great with that, sad that they aren't keeping it up but I'm assuming rebuilding the company means some uncertainty and they'd rather not make promises that they can't keep
    Yes, with betas and actual code going out to users.

At least with Motorola they tell you upfront you are NOT getting updates.

And my point is, they already don't have to deal with the hardware now.
    03-12-17 01:04 PM
    In my Yoda voice:

Too upset you are, guide you the force will to the phone.
    No it won't. I'll just run my Priv to the ground and BlackBerry won't ever see another cent from me again.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    03-12-17 01:05 PM
    Cool, one less preorder that might get in front of mine to worry about!
    I'm not expecting most to agree with me here. BlackBerry and slap on 6 bullets on a plate of sick, and people here will still buy it.
    03-12-17 01:13 PM
    For anyone that misses Blend from BB10..

Why not use AirDroiid , on Android phones, works far better than Blend ever did ...

Works on Windows ,Mac and Chromebook
    03-12-17 01:17 PM
    In a word, "meh".

BlackBerry doesn't owe you anything. Other than what you bought, which is a phone.

Should you expect you'll get Android 7 on the Priv? Not really, but you probably will. Should you expect it on the DTEK60? Yes. Why? It's one rev forward for the DTEK, and two for the Priv.

Are they "failing" on delivery of updates? No. When and where have they failed? They've consistently delivered monthlies on-time for both the 60 and Priv thus far.

Do they owe you a first-look via the Beta? No. The monthlies are patch releases for security issues. There is really not much of anything to beta in that regard. Am I miffed that I get my monthly the same time everyone else does? No, because there is really nothing to test.

For what it's worth several bugs I have reported in the Hub program have been fixed. Guess what my odds of ever seeing a fix for any bug in a Samsung or Moto device would be? Zero.

I don't know if I'll buy a KeyONE simply because I like my DTEK60 enough that I'm not sure there's a lot of additional utility in the new model, if any. The one place I'd expect it is much better battery life, but I don't find the DTEK60 to have a problem in that regard. Six months in I see no compelling reason to spend another $550, so I probably won't. But it I didn't have a DTEK60 it would be a different matter -- I'd likely buy a KeyONE on release day.
    03-12-17 01:18 PM
    I'm not expecting most to agree with me here. BlackBerry and slap on 6 bullets on a plate of sick, and people here will still buy it.
    Easy, people build up pathological needs for whatever is floating in that plate of sick. Drinking the Kool-Aid.
    03-12-17 01:19 PM
    I have not purchased BB in any meaningful manner in over seven years. I did buy a Passport but that was because I dug it's design. Other than the Passport I think my last Blackberry purchase was in like 2009, maybe 2010....

The KEYone is bringing me back into the BB fold so your argument is invalid in my opinion..
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    03-12-17 01:21 PM
    I bet BlackBerry is charging way more than they should to TCL to use the keyboard- so in order to get the keyone to even slightly decent priced (yes still 100-150 high) they made sacrifices

Posted via CB10
    03-12-17 01:24 PM
    So if they do release it, would you then recommend BlackBerry again?
    03-12-17 01:33 PM
    In a word, "meh".

BlackBerry doesn't owe you anything. Other than what you bought, which is a phone.

Should you expect you'll get Android 7 on the Priv? Not really, but you probably will. Should you expect it on the DTEK60? Yes. Why? It's one rev forward for the DTEK, and two for the Priv.

Are they "failing" on delivery of updates? No. When and where have they failed? They've consistently delivered monthlies on-time for both the 60 and Priv thus far.

Do they owe you a first-look via the Beta? No. The monthlies are patch releases for security issues. There is really not much of anything to beta in that regard. Am I miffed that I get my monthly the same time everyone else does? No, because there is really nothing to test.

For what it's worth several bugs I have reported in the Hub program have been fixed. Guess what my odds of ever seeing a fix for any bug in a Samsung or Moto device would be? Zero.

I don't know if I'll buy a KeyONE simply because I like my DTEK60 enough that I'm not sure there's a lot of additional utility in the new model, if any. The one place I'd expect it is much better battery life, but I don't find the DTEK60 to have a problem in that regard. Six months in I see no compelling reason to spend another $550, so I probably won't. But it I didn't have a DTEK60 it would be a different matter -- I'd likely buy a KeyONE on release day.
    That just shows you didn't bother reading beyond the title and had to jump into BlackBerry's defense.

Not once I said they owe anyone Nougat for the current devices, in fact they can even stop the monthly updates for all I care. but at least tell us. All I'm pointing out is the lack of communication is not inspiring any confidence they can keep up with any software support promises they are using as a selling point to justify the additional cost over others.
    03-12-17 01:34 PM
    So if they do release it, would you then recommend BlackBerry again?
    Again, not the point if they actually release it or not. It's the lack of communication and ignoring people who are asking, in which these people are volunteering their time to help BlackBerry push the software.
    03-12-17 01:35 PM
    For anyone that misses Blend from BB10..

Why not use AirDroiid , on Android phones, works far better than Blend ever did ...

Works on Windows ,Mac and Chromebook
    Because: https://blog.zimperium.com/analysis-...s-in-airdroid/

The final update was it's safer to use, so who knows what's still in there.
    ajwan likes this.
    03-12-17 01:40 PM
    I have no specific loyalty to BlackBerry, but I have been very happy with how their products have performed for me over the years. They just seem to understand how I use my phones better than other companies I've tried.

Apple is By Far the worst support I've ever received from a tech company. They make products with almost no user definable settings and then fail to document even those meager offerings.

They should just point 90% of support inquiries to a single response that says,

"We're sorry, but that isn't possible in iOS. Please make an appointment during your leisure time with one of our Geniuses, and we'll be happy to show you how we think you should use your device, regardless of what you actually need to do."

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-12-17 01:42 PM
    Or any BlackBerry for that matter, and that includes the DTEKs and the Priv. At least until BlackBerry changes their mind on their approach on communicating software roadmaps. I might sound like melodramatic, but I think it's an issue.

Despite all those who keep going on how the KEYone is premium and justifies its price, it doesn't. KEYone is priced at least $150 over its competitors, for two things: the keyboard and the BlackBerry Android software.

If I'm paying $150 for that, I expect some sort of SLA on the software delivery. They infer that the BlackBerry Android phones matches Google in software and updates in their advertising, the fact is they are creeping towards fail to deliver. Those of us in the Beta program have repeatedly been asking if the existing phones will be updated to 7.1, and they refuse to give a straight answer. Closest thing we ever got was "getting they keyboard working was a challenge", and further questions were all ignored. We're not even asking for a date or timeline, just a simple yes or no, so we can stop asking.

With the move away from hardware and software now their core business, you would expect more resources being allocated to work on the only thing they are working on for phones, but the fact is it actually got worse. The past few months you can see the updates going from par with Google, to almost a week late. So much for the being the "most secure Android phone".

Imagine Microsoft not providing timelines on when Windows versions are going out of support and just telling people out of the blank as the time comes. At least if a Patch Tuesday is not happening, they would communicate that to everyone. Especially important if they are targeting the enterprise, even Ubuntu has LTS branches that are supported longer than usual.

Fast forward to a year later, replace the Priv with KEYone, it'll be in the exact same situation. And if anything by trend extrapolation, they might even just scrap all phone software completely, pay a loss to TCL and BB Merah Putih and writedown to break the licensing agreement. Who knows at this point, since they're not telling us anything.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to do well, since they are the last brand to even make a PKB phone that doesn't suck. And absolutely nothing against the hard-working team who's trying to deliver, but from all we can see, it's still business as usual for them with no buy-in from management.

It really is a case of "you had only one job."
    Frankly I think you're "jumping the gun" here! I believe the opposite. The key one will come with updates as that is their new mandate.
    03-12-17 01:56 PM
    Frankly I think you're "jumping the gun" here! I believe the opposite. The key one will come with updates as that is their new mandate.
    Could be, but the track record isn't proving to be convincing.
    03-12-17 01:57 PM
    Just a comment about AirDroid. All information goes through someone else's servers.

Blend kept a direct vpn-like connection between the phone and PC/tablet.

I've yet to find a similar type of app.

Joel
    03-12-17 01:59 PM
65 123