Have been reading several articles as BlackBerry gets ready for earnings call. So many folks are saying must drop the keyboard to remain competitive, really? I strongly believe that is one of the few strengths that BlackBerry has to offer. Drop the keyboard and you're simply one of many. Keep it and you are the dominate player for that limited special segment. If you get rid of it, you lose that segment and that's one of the few strong points you still have?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 01:11 PM
    I agree that if the lose the PKB segment... they lose what differentiates them from other Android OEMs, and will not be able to compete.

Just don't think there is much of a market for PKB devices. Besides you are thinking consumer, these phones will be for the enterprise customers looking for security and end-to-end solutions that BlackBerry has always offered.

What I see most saying is that BlackBerry should just get out of hardware period.
    06-22-16 01:30 PM
    They should offer both.
    We're a niche market and a small one (all arguing aside reg which one's better, small market size is a fact). If they want to make money from security features they'll have to offer touch only. I'll wait for the pkb offering but that's not everyone.
    06-22-16 07:58 PM
    There is a loyal pkb market, shrinking as it may, that is still loyal to BlackBerry and I feel Chen recognizes that. If they are going to move forward in hardware and can afford to loose that BlackBerry following maybe they are doing better in hardware then it appears. If the struggles are what it seems they are, then they need ALL of the buyers they can get and don't believe they would leave this segment unserved. Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 08:47 PM
    I disagree. They need to find something else to differentiate themselves from the rest. Most people want touchscreen. There are very few PKB lovers left in the world. No one is switching from touch to PKB.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 09:34 PM
    Touch screen folks are not lining up for BlackBerry, their base and bulk of longtime users are PKB, serve those first, secure that revenue stream, then entice new buyers with touch, but to turn your back on buyers waiting on next PKB is walking away with known buyers which doesn't make sense to me.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 09:55 PM
    The BlackBerry "faithful" who love the keypad have dumped the company a long time ago, what would make them come back when they didn't with the Q10, Passport and the Priv?

Crackberrians are living in fool's paradise, BlackBerry has killed itself a long time ago. The company can bring a Passport in Android and it still will not get enough traction to make the company profitable.

People love their iPhones and Samsungs, that is the sad truth for BlackBerry.

I will purchase the Romeo if it comes out because I am one of the few that still loves the physical keypad but it will not save BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-16 02:34 AM
    No keys, no please.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    aecgda likes this.
    06-23-16 06:02 AM
    No pkb and your just one of many, and not at the top of anyone's list. At least with the recognized most desirable pkb you keep the ever dwindling faithful intact. And THEN you come out with full touch.

Posted via CB10
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    06-23-16 06:25 AM
    in my opinion, the BlackBerry virtual keyboard is still the best one out there.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and Bbnivende like this.
    06-23-16 06:29 AM
    No pkb and your just one of many, and not at the top of anyone's list. At least with the recognized most desirable pkb you keep the ever dwindling faithful intact. And THEN you come out with full touch.

Posted via CB10
    Just release both at the same time. They made the mistake once with the Z10/Q10, not sure why they are repeating it, but could be because they simply don't have the resources to do so.
    06-23-16 06:29 AM
    That me be the exact reason, can't afford both at once. If so, believe you have to bring Rome / PKB first, Q10 and Classic folks are about 2 or more years into their phones and due for upgrade, then roll out all touch for the holidays.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-16 07:00 AM
    I disagree. They need to find something else to differentiate themselves from the rest. Most people want touchscreen. There are very few PKB lovers left in the world. No one is switching from touch to PKB.

Posted via CB10
    I know what you mean. But I actually did shift from touch screen to PKB (BlackBerry Passport). And I shifted because the screen of the Passport is big enough for my use. I have never imagined using a bold/curve/Q10 because the screen is small.

As long as they produce a phone with a screen that's 4.7" or even 5" and rectangular with a keyboard then people may buy it.

People don't necessarily hate PKBs they just want big screens. So if they could somehow design a phone with PKB and decent sized screen without it being too long... maybe just maybe it might have enough buyers. And of course priced right.

Nucci94 and mcstravi like this.
    06-23-16 09:43 AM
    The BlackBerry "faithful" who love the keypad have dumped the company a long time ago, what would make them come back when they didn't with the Q10, Passport and the Priv?
    The reasons why people ignore these BlackBerries are well known - and PKB is not one of them. Let them release the new phone before burying them.
    06-23-16 10:44 AM
    Just release both at the same time. They made the mistake once with the Z10/Q10, not sure why they are repeating it, but could be because they simply don't have the resources to do so.
    I also think releasing both would be a good idea. They don't both target the same audience so one would not cannibalize off the other...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    06-23-16 10:46 AM
    Agree 100% about release both at same time, not sure if they can do to costs though

Posted via CB10
    06-23-16 11:06 AM
    I also think releasing both would be a good idea. They don't both target the same audience so one would not cannibalize off the other...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    JMHO, but the all touch is easier and quicker to make, and maybe their existing enterprise base wants to upgrade their Z10 / Z30 lineup and balked at the price tag of the Priv... AND, for PKB, the Priv was a poor substitute to what they accomplished with the Bold 9900 (so I'm told), the Classic and the Passport so maybe they're spending time on the Rome to make sure they get it right. One can hope, anyway.
    06-23-16 04:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Most people do want a touchscreen, but I actually did switch from all touch (iPhone, Android) to the Passport my first PKB. What made the sell for me was the touch capacitive pkb and learning about keyboard shortcuts. Still a minority of users, but if they can actually communicate that you can use the pkb for more than just typing letters, a few others might take a chance as well. I certainly don't regret it.
    06-23-16 04:52 PM
    Great point about shortcuts Reaney. That's almost 50% of the pkb advantage and almost no one realizes that. The issue though, is I don't think the OS's and the Apps are emphasizing shortcuts anymore, hence you don't get the full benefit. Even I think BB10 was less shortcut friendly than BB7
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-23-16 05:20 PM
    Great point about shortcuts Reaney. That's almost 50% of the pkb advantage and almost no one realizes that. The issue though, is I don't think the OS's and the Apps are emphasizing shortcuts anymore, hence you don't get the full benefit. Even I think BB10 was less shortcut friendly than BB7
    And it's almost certainly going to stay that way - most third party devs won't add support for such a small market. I think that's why BlackBerry has to continue to build out their software platform on Android IF they're going to continue with touch capacitive PKB phones. Basically, make it work with the core experience (shortcuts), and the touch capacitive aspect will work regardless I believe. EG Chrome, you can scroll using the pkb, but no shortcuts. Here's what I think BlackBerry should add in terms of shortcuts support 'out of the box' on their pkb phones:

Browser (modified stock Android), File Manager, Calculator, DocsToGo.

With what they already support on Android that should cover a lot of basic usage for the phone. They could also open up their PKB api (if they haven't already) and make it easy for devs to add support and/or pay key apps players like Evernote (for example) to include it. Though that may be a step to far for the company.
    pooyam likes this.
    06-23-16 05:32 PM

Crackberrians are living in fool's paradise, BlackBerry has killed itself a long time ago. The company can bring a Passport in Android and it still will not get enough traction to make the company profitable.

People love their iPhones and Samsungs, that is the sad truth for BlackBerry.

I will purchase the Romeo if it comes out because I am one of the few that still loves the physical keypad but it will not save BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Don't give Chen any more bad ideas for phone names, lol.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-23-16 05:34 PM
    I know what you mean. But I actually did shift from touch screen to PKB (BlackBerry Passport). And I shifted because the screen of the Passport is big enough for my use. I have never imagined using a bold/curve/Q10 because the screen is small.

As long as they produce a phone with a screen that's 4.7" or even 5" and rectangular with a keyboard then people may buy it.

People don't necessarily hate PKBs they just want big screens. So if they could somehow design a phone with PKB and decent sized screen without it being too long... maybe just maybe it might have enough buyers. And of course priced right.

I had a touch screen phone before I got the Priv and disliked it because it was not very easy to write on it accurately (annoying to me!). Also, in spite of having a relatively large screen, when I typed on it, half the screen was covered with the keyboard, I dislike that as well. The Priv was just right for me. This selling point was not mentioned much but if you think about it, it is really nice to have a full screen along with a keyboard only when you want it that doesn't cover the screen. I think I am now dependent upon a good quality PKB and would not want to revert to a touch screen. So, for a new mid-range phone, I think a form factor that is slightly longer than the Classic with a keyboard would be a great phone for those who want the PKB always available. The touch phone, that BB indicates is in the works , sounds like a phone to add to their Enterprise package offerings, along with selling some to retail customers, too.
    Diceyann likes this.
    06-23-16 07:09 PM
    They'll release one with keyboard and one without.. I guess that should please everyone.
    06-24-16 01:07 AM
    That me be the exact reason, can't afford both at once. If so, believe you have to bring Rome / PKB first, Q10 and Classic folks are about 2 or more years into their phones and due for upgrade, then roll out all touch for the holidays.

Posted via CB10
    The all touch is just a Re branding of an existing device or so we think.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-24-16 02:02 AM
    They should just license their keyboard to others and put a fork in their phone business.
    Diceyann likes this.
    06-24-16 07:03 AM
102 123 ...