Hi all,

I've got a KeyONE (lucky to live near London!) and I love it. I haven't had a Blackberry device since a 9700 and I have a few questions. I think most of them belong in the Android forum in general, but some are K1 specific.

1) $ Key
    My phone has a little loudspeaker icon and a '$' sign. I can't seem to make this do anything - push, hold, long hold, etc. I tried changing the language to EN-US but that didn't seem to make a difference. Any thoughts?

2) Delay when starting a search
    In the homescreen settings for 'Typing Action' I've selected "Start a search"
    ... This works, but there's about a 3s delay between me finishing typing and the search dialogue starting. I THINK this must be because the launcher is capturing keypresses before sending them to device search, but the timeout seems really clumsy. Any way to change this? (I've tried mapping 's' to launch search and then type, but I'm so used to typing on the homescreen from WebOS (yes, webOS!) that I'd love to get it to work like this. I wonder why Device Search and the launcher aren't the same app?

3) Convenience key:
    I've set this to mute the volume, but it doesn't appear to do anything with the screen off. Thoughts? Is there a way to map double tap and long-hold on the convenience key too?

4: Cursor movement in text fields:
    Finally, is it possible to move the cursor using gestures/sliding *without* holding shift and selecting? Like the old cursor movement of the BBOS. For example, if I'd like to delete a character 3 letters ago, I'd like to hold, say, ALT and slide across the keyboard for that to move the cursor back. (Very similar to when I do that holding shift, but without the selection happening.

I think the other questions I have about things like the calendar app, the messages compose not selecting the top name when pressing 'return' and other things like that probably belong in the Android forum, right?

Thanks!
    Jonny
    04-29-17 05:03 PM
    How do you set encryption as on BB10?

How do you link to BES, if possible?

How is file management done?

Are all these covered in the BlackBerry software apps?

Posted via CB10
    04-29-17 05:55 PM
    Hi all,

Finally, is it possible to move the cursor using gestures/sliding *without* holding shift and selecting? Like the old cursor movement of the BBOS. For example, if I'd like to delete a character 3 letters ago, I'd like to hold, say, ALT and slide across the keyboard for that to move the cursor back. (Very similar to when I do that holding shift, but without the selection happening.

Jonny
    I found this one out by luck! Double tap the keyboard and you get into cursor mode! Awesome BB!
    04-29-17 06:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Encryption is available in the Security settings.

BES is only available if you're with a company offering BES or have a personal server (?). If you're thinking BIS, that is dead once you move away from Legacy BBOS.

Android has a native file manager built in. Any directory viewing or actual file management will require downloading a file manager from the Play Store.

BlackBerry's software suite covers almost everything except file managers, photo viewers, and music apps. Photo and music are available through Google options or the Play Store.
    jafobabe likes this.
    04-29-17 06:26 PM
    OP, i'm sorry for asking you a question instead of helping you out (I'm not an experienced Android user).. but I just have to ask - are the speakers stereo on the KEYone? Or is it just one speaker grille and the other one's for the microphone or something?

Posted via CB10
    04-29-17 06:38 PM
    OP, i'm sorry for asking you a question instead of helping you out (I'm not an experienced Android user).. but I just have to ask - are the speakers stereo on the KEYone? Or is it just one speaker grille and the other one's for the microphone or something?

Posted via CB10
    Hey, from the quick test I did just now playing audio in Chrome from a web page no, the speaker is a single unit. I tried with headphones to be sure that the software side was working and I got clear left/right separation, but when using the built-in speaker it all appears to be coming out the grille on the right hand side of the device. Hopefully someone else will corroborate this!
    FF22 likes this.
    04-29-17 07:06 PM
    The speaker is mono. Not stereo.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and jafobabe like this.
    04-29-17 07:12 PM
    Hey, from the quick test I did just now playing audio in Chrome from a web page no, the speaker is a single unit. I tried with headphones to be sure that the software side was working and I got clear left/right separation, but when using the built-in speaker it all appears to be coming out the grille on the right hand side of the device. Hopefully someone else will corroborate this!
    Yes this has been confirmed by some early adopters. The right side is the speaker and the left side is the microphone. I've seen it confirmed in a couple threads today. Quite a bummer imo.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-17 07:26 PM
    Hey OP - I don't have a BlackBerry Android so I can't respond to Question 2 onwards. However for Question 1, based on my Q10 experience, That key when pressed in a text message, email message, BBM message, etc. Inserts a $ sign when you want to write an an amount as in $2,000. However if you aren't writing a message if you hold the "alt" button (bottom left on keyboard) and then click that key - the loudspeaker on the phone is turned on for, say, if you want a bunch of people to hear a telephone call, listen to music, etc. Queries 2 - 5 I will leave to those who have the Priv, DTEK 50, or DTEK 60 to help out with.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-29-17 07:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    File management is handled natively now in android, in the downloads app, you can change the settings to browse all local storages. The native method is the best I've found for dealing with USB file storage.
    04-29-17 07:54 PM
    Hi all,

I've got a KeyONE (lucky to live near London!) and I love it. I haven't had a Blackberry device since a 9700 and I have a few questions. I think most of them belong in the Android forum in general, but some are K1 specific.

1) $ Key
    My phone has a little loudspeaker icon and a '$' sign. I can't seem to make this do anything - push, hold, long hold, etc. I tried changing the language to EN-US but that didn't seem to make a difference. Any thoughts?

... This works, but there's about a 3s delay between me finishing typing and the search dialogue starting. I THINK this must be because the launcher is capturing keypresses before sending them to device search, but the timeout seems really clumsy. Any way to change this? (I've tried mapping 's' to launch search and then type, but I'm so used to typing on the homescreen from WebOS (yes, webOS!) that I'd love to get it to work like this. I wonder why Device Search and the launcher aren't the same app?

3) Convenience key:
    I've set this to mute the volume, but it doesn't appear to do anything with the screen off. Thoughts? Is there a way to map double tap and long-hold on the convenience key too?

I think the other questions I have about things like the calendar app, the messages compose not selecting the top name when pressing 'return' and other things like that probably belong in the Android forum, right?

Thanks!
    Jonny
    I don't have KeyOne yet (a few more days to go) but will try to answer your questions based on my experience from PRIV.

1) $ can be used to input currency and it behaves as a shortcut during Call (with Phone app) to switch between speaker and headset mode. Mute is done through Convenience key

2) Generally the search itself was slow. I'm not sure if it has changed. I did try switching off the shortcuts too but don't believe it helped much. You can check Mr Mobile Re-Review of Priv and he still had the issue.

3) See point 1. It's only applicable when either you have a phone call or music being played. It doesn't work with switching the sound profile if that is what you're hoping. You can use Q on the keyboard to switch between Quiet or Recent mode. I think mute also works if a call comes in to silence it.

4) Other than tapping twice on the keyboard to get a cursor, you can also hold Shift and swipe the keyboard to select. It's very handy to highlight and cut / copy. Oh yes you can use Shift + C etc for copy paste after you have selected or have place to input.

Again apologies if they're not exact behaviour as I'm guessing it with my past experience.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-29-17 07:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    I believe people have already answered your query. Nougat and BlackBerry devices are encrypted out of the box. DTek app can guide you if it's not encrypted.

File Manager is there in Android but it's not directly accessible and is not that useful honestly.
    I'd suggest to buy one that offers more than just file management.

Over the years I have bought ES Explorer Pro and FX Explorer. There are other alternatives too. But in my experience those two offer more than enough. Ability to connect to Cloud services, FTP, LAN to name a few.

Check Priv section for more help if you want some quick suggestions.
    04-29-17 07:58 PM
    Wow, I never noticed the loudspeaker icon on the $ before and I've had my Priv for a few months. Tested it during a phonecall just now and it does indeed toggle the loudspeaker during a phone call. Learn something new everyday .

To be clear, the dollar symbol itself does work when you're using it while typing, right? The way you worded the sentence makes me believe nothing happens ever with this key - when it should indeed just start typing "$$$" when you hit it anytime you're not in an active phonecall.
    04-29-17 08:13 PM
    Hi all,

1) $ Key

3) Convenience key:

Thanks!
    Jonny
    1- Has been answer. But you should be able to set it to give you pound or euro when typing, instead of only $$$.
    2- It's made that way to give the impression of a SMART phone: it needs to think. Kidding aside, you may like to check the setting to limit the extend of the search. On BBOS the search can include youtube, facebook,wikitude, and so on. On BB10, it extends much further, to include Bing, Google, Yahoo... So when your search setting includes an internet search, it takes time. Device search only would be pretty fast.
    3- Same on BBOS models except the older models got their own dedicated mute key.
    4- Nothing to add.

Posted from my  Passport
    04-29-17 10:04 PM
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    Jonny
    I think that's a google problem. It's slow and unusable on my phone and it's not a blackberry.
    04-30-17 12:46 AM
    Yes this has been confirmed by some early adopters. The right side is the speaker and the left side is the microphone. I've seen it confirmed in a couple threads today. Quite a bummer imo.

Posted via CB10
    With bluetooth speakers it seems inconsequential.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 01:03 AM
    Hi all,
    1) $ Key
    I got one of the last ones yesterday (down to single digits in store). To change the $ to £ go into Settings > Languages & Input > Keyboard settings > BlackBerry Keyboard > Advanced > Currency key, then change it to whatever you want.
    jafobabe, FF22 and nubestreet like this.
    04-30-17 07:22 AM
    Just watched Erica Griffin's unboxing. Yep, they're not stereo. Disappointing, but not necessarily a deal breaker! =)

Posted via CB10
    05-01-17 07:40 AM
    I think that's a google problem. It's slow and unusable on my phone and it's not a blackberry.
    I don't think it's a Google Problem. When I switched off any Default action for typing, it clearly takes a two seconds before letting you decide whether you want to use Google or Device Search. Clearly there's a delay in recognising the action.

Instead of choosing Device Search, we can enable quick shortcuts. In that, to launch the Device Search isn't that slow. Perhaps BlackBerry needs to optimise it more.
    05-01-17 07:47 AM
    I'm reading the KEYone User Guide to prepare myself.

How come there's no mention whatsoever of the much-vaunted fingerprint sensor, when it's used and how to set it up? Just a reference to it in the picture on page 4. Nothing else.
    05-01-17 07:49 AM
    I got one of the last ones yesterday (down to single digits in store). To change the $ to £ go into Settings > Languages & Input > Keyboard settings > BlackBerry Keyboard > Advanced > Currency key, then change it to whatever you want.
    Thanks so much for that. Spent a few outraged minutes thinking I'd never be able to type £ before I found your post.
    05-26-17 07:21 AM