I've decided to create a new thread and thoroughly analyse what happened last night. I am going to analyse what was said, how it looks for potential customers (new and old) and really take a look at who and what stood out on the night. I'll be honest: I am going to rip this presentation a new one - because quite frankly, it was amateur hour at the Apollo - but why was it amateur? I'll explain over the course of this post. Now before any clowns say: "oh you're a hater" - no. No i'm not. I've owned several Blackberry phones including 2x DTEK50's, a bold, a 9320, 2x Classics and i'm currently weighting up a DTEK60. I'm far from a hater - I just hate all the usual BS that people spout about "oh its a business phone" - GTFO of here with that 2004 lame excuse. That's what it is - an excuse for features or functionality that's missing. That being said: let me begin.

MWC Opening:

Crackberry Kevin comes on stage. He's looking down at the autoprompt - ok. I heard that he only found out 24-48 hours before this event that he was going to attend. Kevin's a nice guy, I like him. I'd probably be looking at an autocue if I had short notice as well. So Kevin introduces Nicolas Zibell. Around this time, the feed stops. Crackberry users start getting p'd off (I can't swear on the boards). I looked on youtube and we had 7,500 people viewing the live stream. The number was going up and up until this point. Suddenly, the number drops to 3,000 people watching live. I get worried and go back to the live chat. Everyone is freaking out in the forums. I go back to youtube - less than 700 people in the world are now watching this live. That, was quite frankly, a sign of things to come. The opening (not CBK's fault) was dreadful. We proceeded to miss Nicolas's early speech.

Nicolas Zibell (TCL)

Nicolas was looking down at the autocue as well. Hmm. Now i'm wondering if this has been planned, or if this has been done within a tight timeframe. He continues, checking the autoprompt every other sentence. Now, this is where Nicolas makes a HUGE, HUGE mistake. He says the phone is for "successful people". Why is this a mistake? When Jobs introduced the iPhone, he said it was "for everyone". By saying it's for "successful people", it almost insults people who aren't "successful" and insinuates that if you aren't successful, you can't have this phone.

Nicolas then says: "or it's for those who dare to be different." Shouldn't you be telling us ABOUT the phone, THEN tell us who it's for? Honestly. At this point, I knew I was in for a whirlwind of turd. He then looks at the autocue again before introducing us to a video of the KEYOne.

KEYOne

At 6 minutes 51 seconds into the video, Nicolas produces the KEYOne, expecting a colossal round of applause. The problem is, he pulls the phone out of his pocket and there is no camera zooming in on it. The audience can barely see it. The phone looks off, or like it's on standby mode. There is the most awkward silence i've seen in recent times before the audience think: "oh crap, we need to clap!". Honestly, from 6 mins 51 seconds, to 6 mins 59 seconds, there is nothing from the audience. No whistling, no shouting, no clapping - it's absolutely dire. The audience aren't sold. And why should they be? 6 mins 59 seconds and we've learned very, very little about the phone. Then, the audience clap. The clapping is embarrassing to say the least. Perhaps 10% of the audience clapped. I'd actually go as far as to say: people appeared disappointed as **** (fill that in with a 4 letter expletive).

He puts the device back in his pocket and doesn't even turn the damn thing on. Again - at this point, I was shouting obscenities at my screen. This is an ultimate PR disaster. Get this ***** off the stage. He shouldn't be presenting. At all. Ever.

Logan Bell (Product Manager, Blackberry)

He starts off speaking at a speed at which Sonic the Hedgehog would have trouble keeping up with. He seems nervous and not prepared. He promises us: "you will not see anything like the KEYOne". Queue the jokes. I knew from this point onwards, if it's anything less than an iPhone-killer, then yeah, we won't see anything like the KEYOne. Logan says the phone is for "enterprise" and "achievers" - again, you're shutting off a huge, huge portion of the market. This makes people who aren't in enterprise, or don't class themselves as "high achievers" not want the phone. Great launch so far Blackberry. You've told a huge portion of the market "this phone isn't for you" - you absolute, utter numbskulls of the highest order.

When Steve Jobs got on stage, he presented the iPhone as a device for absolutely everybody from your nan who is 87 with reduced vision, to the tech nerds who love fast phones and fluent operating systems built from OS X (unix-based OS). And here, we've got Blackberry and TCL telling us the phone ISN'T for everyone. What....the.... (expletive).

Logan then says it's the most secure android phone globally. These are un-tested claims. Whether or not you agree it's more secure than the "average" android - to call it the most secure android is unfounded. It's a pack of lies, essentially. Has it been pen-tested by teams of hackers? Has it been officially awarded the title of most secure android by anyone other than.....Blackberry??? Come on guys. If you're buying a car from Ford and they're saying: "Our brakes are 10x better than our competitors!" - you'd want proof. I'm sick and tired of Blackberry saying their device is more secure than others with ZERO proof. They're almost expecting you to believe them like religious people believe in God - with no evidence, just sheer "belief". Sorry - that doesn't fly in 2017. We need hard facts and evidence to back up these claims.

Now we come to the contradiction. Logan then says the phone is "perfect for social media". Hang on - will high achievers and successful people be leveraging social media? Will they really? It's possible but if they're that successful, surely they wont use social media as much as someone who literally spends all day on it. Confusing PR = confused customers.

Logan then talks about Blackberry hub and describes it as an "irreplaceable tool". Granted it has only been downloaded 500,000 times and is available on every android - it's not THAT irreplaceable is it. It's an aggregator. That's all it is. There's no innovation. I've got a BB Classic sitting next to me which has the hub on. I have the hub on my G4 Plus although I don't really tend to use/need it much. It's not a device-seller (that's my point). There was absolutely no applause when Logan was explaining any of this. There was a MINI amount of applause when he left the stage.

Pete Lancia (Qualcomm)

Pete talks about the 625 processor and does a good job talking about the battery life vs multitasking capabilities. Can't fault him. He's the best one there. Isn't looking at autocue as much as the others. He's 10x more professional, but his speech lasts for approx 1 minute. And he's gone.

Thurber (Senior Vice President)

Thuber truly looks like he's jetlagged, depressed and like he doesn't want to be there. He tells us as per usual that his background is security and that "if you don't keep your device up to date, you lose that advantage very quickly" - get lost Thurber. Get lost. You told us that with the Priv, DTEK50, DTEK60....now this. Come on fella. Your company even failed to update the DTEK50 for about 3 months. It just so happens that Blackberry managed to get it right up to date before this conference. Co-incidence? No. Blackberry patched it because without the DTEK50 being patched, Thurber couldn't say his favourite line.

Thurber then went on to talk about the DTEK app and how incredible it is! Umm.... it's not....incredible. Every single Marshmallow device out there alters permissions. Thurber actually admits this and says the DTEK app is just a "dashboard". He then says it allows you to go and adjust parameters - Umm no Thurber - ANDROID allows you to do that, NOT DTEK. DTEK is a dashboard. You said it yourself. Again - no one is sold on this BS. And that's what DTEK is. It's a fancy dashboard. The ONLY good thing about it, is that it tells you how many times apps have requested certain permissions. Aside from that, it's utterly useless.

Then, in the most strange and unexpected turn of events. Thurber then rants on about his daughter's social media usage. I expected him to have a solid, solid point to back it up. I was expecting something almost mystical to come out of his mouth. But no. Apparently his daughter shares a lot of data. On social media. (The shock is killing me, guys.) And then he's done.

Whatever you think of DTEK app - The Priv has it. The DTEK50 has it. The DTEK60 has it..... there is STILL no innovation. Come on Blackberry. I love you but this is woeful. The audience look bored as hell. They've only clapped when someone has gone off stage. Come on. What's left. What's left?!

The Price

Nicolas returns to stage. My first thoughts were: **** (expletive) sake. Not this clown again. Ok, what's the price. €599 (oh my god!!! that's extortion). £499 - that's DOA in the UK market at that price. Are they even serious right now? £499 .... in the United Kingdom. You can buy a Samsung S6 Edge for that money, or a Samsung S7 or an iPhone. Why on God's green earth would anyone chance a Blackberry for £499? They didn't with the Priv. What on earth are you smoking, Blackberry? Cos I want some. And then $549 - i'm not American, so I don't know if $549 is going to do well in the USA. I cannot comment on that.

We're talking about a company with 0.0% of the market right now. And they're releasing a product which is more expensive than some iPhones and Samsung devices. Have they seriously not learned one single thing?

Call me a hater, call me what you like. But i've bought Blackberry devices. I'm not some armchair fanboy who doesn't actually buy their products. I'm just disappointed. This was the worst presentation i've seen. It would make university project presentations look good. Once I heard the price, even as a Blackberry fan, I was thinking: "why should I drop that kind of money, on this?!". Now if I was thinking that, what are normal people going to think??

Normal people

I went on Facebook and spent 2 hours looking through comments about the price. I didn't count them up and this isn't an accurate figure, but i'd say a good 80% of comments said things like: "Blackberry need to give up on PKB devices" or "Are they really going to charge more than Samsung and Apple" or "it's too expensive!" or "I need a fingerprint scanner but the DTEK60 is too expensive for me and they bring out this! I was expecting it to be cheaper".

And that's my analysis of the launch. It was shocking to say the least. Didn't give much info about the phone. The info it did give wasn't innovating in any way whatsoever - DTEK app (yup, been done), shortcut buttons (yup, done on the priv), PKB (yup, done hundreds of times). No innovation, no sample photographs. No mention of the RGB lights on the phone. No mention of exactly how long the battery lasts. No outro music. We didn't see the phone in use during the presentation despite Nicolas actually holding the phone (which looked to be turned off). It was embarrassing to be a Blackberry fan. Can you all see why we've sunk into irrelevance in the smartphone world?

Sorry to be negative but I am just being 100% honest and saying what I see.
    peednus and Techno-guy like this.
    02-26-17 04:37 AM
    That was quite an entertaining read , you missed the part at the end with Nicolas raising his hands and yelling thank you thank you like he was running for the elections .... The whole affair was quite humourous.
    PALoeza likes this.
    02-26-17 01:22 PM
    Savage! haha. True story though. There was something missing from the presentation. The audience was not into it at all (at least from what I could gather from the live stream). TCL and Blackberry Mobile are probably scratching their heads wondering where it went wrong. Im still going to buy the device, but they definitely missed their moment to shine.
    Last edited by howarmat; 02-27-17 at 10:24 PM.
    02-26-17 01:36 PM
    Wow, your fingers must be sore! Was that posted via a vkb or pkb? :-)
    02-26-17 01:56 PM
    That was quite an entertaining read , you missed the part at the end with Nicolas raising his hands and yelling thank you thank you like he was running for the elections .... The whole affair was quite humourous.
    This. Best (most entertaining) part of the show )
    02-26-17 02:02 PM
    Epic!

Apologies. It's may take me a number of weeks to reply fully
    02-26-17 02:02 PM
    Wow, your fingers must be sore! Was that posted via a vkb or pkb? :-)
    My macbook's pkb. I wouldn't write something that long on a vkb ;-)
    falbo likes this.
    02-26-17 02:10 PM
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/26/...2017-supercut/

They edited out all the unless stumbling.
    Last edited by pkcable; 02-27-17 at 11:53 PM. Reason: fixed link
    02-26-17 02:28 PM
    LOL, you make it sound absolutely dreadful... it obviously didn't match your expectations /hype which is understandable.

Didn't watch it but might check it out and form my own opinion.

There more to it then just the internals and from what I've heard it's a tad more than I expected for local pricing and a late may-june release apparently (in my region) but besides that, it looks like the perfect device for me.

I do wonder how many of mates saw this keynote? Probably none but it'll be written about but It shouldn't decide how a smartphone gets advertise. It helps with first impressions but it's what TCL do after the fact. Eg carrier and retail availability to get it noticed.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 02:52 PM
    Savage! haha. True story though. There was something missing from the presentation. The audience was not into it at all (at least from what I could gather from the live stream). TCL and Blackberry Mobile are probably scratching their heads wondering where it went wrong. Im still going to buy the device, but they definitely missed their moment to shine.
    I read on these forums that the majority of the audience were tech media. They can't be enthusiastic fan bois, and need to remain agnostic. There needed to be more Crackberrians coached on how these things work. Even Apple and Samsung have their plants to get the crowd going. (Like the floor guys with their applause signs on talk shows)
    02-26-17 04:15 PM
    I read on these forums that the majority of the audience were tech media. They can't be enthusiastic fan bois, and need to remain agnostic. There needed to be more Crackberrians coached on how these things work. Even Apple and Samsung have their plants to get the crowd going. (Like the floor guys with their applause signs on talk shows)
    Yes, I have read this as well. I suppose composure is the norm for media members who are there to work and cover the event. I don't know though... I would have appreciated some, ANY, enthusiasm if I were one of the guys presenting/unveiling the phone. I'm pleased to have found many articles showing positive remarks about the device though. I'll definitely be purchasing the KEYone and I hope others will too.
    02-27-17 10:02 PM
    Great post OP!

Posted via Commodore 64
    02-27-17 10:22 PM
    Well said - can't say I disagree with anything. Pretty much sums up one of the most unprofessional launches I have ever seen. Oh, and the $549 price and no carrier support means the phone is pretty much DOA in the U.S. market as well.
    02-27-17 10:39 PM
    I've decided to create a new thread and thoroughly analyse what happened last night. I am going to analyse what was said, how it looks for potential customers (new and old) and really take a look at who and what stood out on the night. I'll be honest: I am going to rip this presentation a new one - because quite frankly, it was amateur hour at the Apollo - but why was it amateur? I'll explain over the course of this post. Now before any clowns say: "oh you're a hater" - no. No i'm not. I've owned several Blackberry phones including 2x DTEK50's, a bold, a 9320, 2x Classics and i'm currently weighting up a DTEK60. I'm far from a hater - I just hate all the usual BS that people spout about "oh its a business phone" - GTFO of here with that 2004 lame excuse. That's what it is - an excuse for features or functionality that's missing. That being said: let me begin.

MWC Opening:

Crackberry Kevin comes on stage. He's looking down at the autoprompt - ok. I heard that he only found out 24-48 hours before this event that he was going to attend. Kevin's a nice guy, I like him. I'd probably be looking at an autocue if I had short notice as well. So Kevin introduces Nicolas Zibell. Around this time, the feed stops. Crackberry users start getting p'd off (I can't swear on the boards). I looked on youtube and we had 7,500 people viewing the live stream. The number was going up and up until this point. Suddenly, the number drops to 3,000 people watching live. I get worried and go back to the live chat. Everyone is freaking out in the forums. I go back to youtube - less than 700 people in the world are now watching this live. That, was quite frankly, a sign of things to come. The opening (not CBK's fault) was dreadful. We proceeded to miss Nicolas's early speech.

Nicolas Zibell (TCL)

Nicolas was looking down at the autocue as well. Hmm. Now i'm wondering if this has been planned, or if this has been done within a tight timeframe. He continues, checking the autoprompt every other sentence. Now, this is where Nicolas makes a HUGE, HUGE mistake. He says the phone is for "successful people". Why is this a mistake? When Jobs introduced the iPhone, he said it was "for everyone". By saying it's for "successful people", it almost insults people who aren't "successful" and insinuates that if you aren't successful, you can't have this phone.

Nicolas then says: "or it's for those who dare to be different." Shouldn't you be telling us ABOUT the phone, THEN tell us who it's for? Honestly. At this point, I knew I was in for a whirlwind of turd. He then looks at the autocue again before introducing us to a video of the KEYOne.

KEYOne

At 6 minutes 51 seconds into the video, Nicolas produces the KEYOne, expecting a colossal round of applause. The problem is, he pulls the phone out of his pocket and there is no camera zooming in on it. The audience can barely see it. The phone looks off, or like it's on standby mode. There is the most awkward silence i've seen in recent times before the audience think: "oh crap, we need to clap!". Honestly, from 6 mins 51 seconds, to 6 mins 59 seconds, there is nothing from the audience. No whistling, no shouting, no clapping - it's absolutely dire. The audience aren't sold. And why should they be? 6 mins 59 seconds and we've learned very, very little about the phone. Then, the audience clap. The clapping is embarrassing to say the least. Perhaps 10% of the audience clapped. I'd actually go as far as to say: people appeared disappointed as **** (fill that in with a 4 letter expletive).

He puts the device back in his pocket and doesn't even turn the damn thing on. Again - at this point, I was shouting obscenities at my screen. This is an ultimate PR disaster. Get this ***** off the stage. He shouldn't be presenting. At all. Ever.

Logan Bell (Product Manager, Blackberry)

He starts off speaking at a speed at which Sonic the Hedgehog would have trouble keeping up with. He seems nervous and not prepared. He promises us: "you will not see anything like the KEYOne". Queue the jokes. I knew from this point onwards, if it's anything less than an iPhone-killer, then yeah, we won't see anything like the KEYOne. Logan says the phone is for "enterprise" and "achievers" - again, you're shutting off a huge, huge portion of the market. This makes people who aren't in enterprise, or don't class themselves as "high achievers" not want the phone. Great launch so far Blackberry. You've told a huge portion of the market "this phone isn't for you" - you absolute, utter numbskulls of the highest order.

When Steve Jobs got on stage, he presented the iPhone as a device for absolutely everybody from your nan who is 87 with reduced vision, to the tech nerds who love fast phones and fluent operating systems built from OS X (unix-based OS). And here, we've got Blackberry and TCL telling us the phone ISN'T for everyone. What....the.... (expletive).

Logan then says it's the most secure android phone globally. These are un-tested claims. Whether or not you agree it's more secure than the "average" android - to call it the most secure android is unfounded. It's a pack of lies, essentially. Has it been pen-tested by teams of hackers? Has it been officially awarded the title of most secure android by anyone other than.....Blackberry??? Come on guys. If you're buying a car from Ford and they're saying: "Our brakes are 10x better than our competitors!" - you'd want proof. I'm sick and tired of Blackberry saying their device is more secure than others with ZERO proof. They're almost expecting you to believe them like religious people believe in God - with no evidence, just sheer "belief". Sorry - that doesn't fly in 2017. We need hard facts and evidence to back up these claims.

Now we come to the contradiction. Logan then says the phone is "perfect for social media". Hang on - will high achievers and successful people be leveraging social media? Will they really? It's possible but if they're that successful, surely they wont use social media as much as someone who literally spends all day on it. Confusing PR = confused customers.

Logan then talks about Blackberry hub and describes it as an "irreplaceable tool". Granted it has only been downloaded 500,000 times and is available on every android - it's not THAT irreplaceable is it. It's an aggregator. That's all it is. There's no innovation. I've got a BB Classic sitting next to me which has the hub on. I have the hub on my G4 Plus although I don't really tend to use/need it much. It's not a device-seller (that's my point). There was absolutely no applause when Logan was explaining any of this. There was a MINI amount of applause when he left the stage.

Pete Lancia (Qualcomm)

Pete talks about the 625 processor and does a good job talking about the battery life vs multitasking capabilities. Can't fault him. He's the best one there. Isn't looking at autocue as much as the others. He's 10x more professional, but his speech lasts for approx 1 minute. And he's gone.

Thurber (Senior Vice President)

Thuber truly looks like he's jetlagged, depressed and like he doesn't want to be there. He tells us as per usual that his background is security and that "if you don't keep your device up to date, you lose that advantage very quickly" - get lost Thurber. Get lost. You told us that with the Priv, DTEK50, DTEK60....now this. Come on fella. Your company even failed to update the DTEK50 for about 3 months. It just so happens that Blackberry managed to get it right up to date before this conference. Co-incidence? No. Blackberry patched it because without the DTEK50 being patched, Thurber couldn't say his favourite line.

Thurber then went on to talk about the DTEK app and how incredible it is! Umm.... it's not....incredible. Every single Marshmallow device out there alters permissions. Thurber actually admits this and says the DTEK app is just a "dashboard". He then says it allows you to go and adjust parameters - Umm no Thurber - ANDROID allows you to do that, NOT DTEK. DTEK is a dashboard. You said it yourself. Again - no one is sold on this BS. And that's what DTEK is. It's a fancy dashboard. The ONLY good thing about it, is that it tells you how many times apps have requested certain permissions. Aside from that, it's utterly useless.

Then, in the most strange and unexpected turn of events. Thurber then rants on about his daughter's social media usage. I expected him to have a solid, solid point to back it up. I was expecting something almost mystical to come out of his mouth. But no. Apparently his daughter shares a lot of data. On social media. (The shock is killing me, guys.) And then he's done.

Whatever you think of DTEK app - The Priv has it. The DTEK50 has it. The DTEK60 has it..... there is STILL no innovation. Come on Blackberry. I love you but this is woeful. The audience look bored as hell. They've only clapped when someone has gone off stage. Come on. What's left. What's left?!

The Price

Nicolas returns to stage. My first thoughts were: **** (expletive) sake. Not this clown again. Ok, what's the price. €599 (oh my god!!! that's extortion). £499 - that's DOA in the UK market at that price. Are they even serious right now? £499 .... in the United Kingdom. You can buy a Samsung S6 Edge for that money, or a Samsung S7 or an iPhone. Why on God's green earth would anyone chance a Blackberry for £499? They didn't with the Priv. What on earth are you smoking, Blackberry? Cos I want some. And then $549 - i'm not American, so I don't know if $549 is going to do well in the USA. I cannot comment on that.

We're talking about a company with 0.0% of the market right now. And they're releasing a product which is more expensive than some iPhones and Samsung devices. Have they seriously not learned one single thing?

Call me a hater, call me what you like. But i've bought Blackberry devices. I'm not some armchair fanboy who doesn't actually buy their products. I'm just disappointed. This was the worst presentation i've seen. It would make university project presentations look good. Once I heard the price, even as a Blackberry fan, I was thinking: "why should I drop that kind of money, on this?!". Now if I was thinking that, what are normal people going to think??

Normal people

I went on Facebook and spent 2 hours looking through comments about the price. I didn't count them up and this isn't an accurate figure, but i'd say a good 80% of comments said things like: "Blackberry need to give up on PKB devices" or "Are they really going to charge more than Samsung and Apple" or "it's too expensive!" or "I need a fingerprint scanner but the DTEK60 is too expensive for me and they bring out this! I was expecting it to be cheaper".

And that's my analysis of the launch. It was shocking to say the least. Didn't give much info about the phone. The info it did give wasn't innovating in any way whatsoever - DTEK app (yup, been done), shortcut buttons (yup, done on the priv), PKB (yup, done hundreds of times). No innovation, no sample photographs. No mention of the RGB lights on the phone. No mention of exactly how long the battery lasts. No outro music. We didn't see the phone in use during the presentation despite Nicolas actually holding the phone (which looked to be turned off). It was embarrassing to be a Blackberry fan. Can you all see why we've sunk into irrelevance in the smartphone world?

Sorry to be negative but I am just being 100% honest and saying what I see.
    Oddly enough, the device itself has caught good press. So, yes, honestly, I'm sorry you are so negative too.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 10:53 PM