Would have bee. A really neat feature to have individual backlit keys, when an app that's saved as a shortcut and assigned to the key has a notification, that and those individual keys stay lit up to remind you that app has a notification. And can be dismissed by swiping down on the key that's lit or something of the sort.
    03-05-17 01:38 PM
    That would be an amazing option! But not cost effective.. It's all about the bottom line.
    03-05-17 01:56 PM
    Nice feature indeed. If KeyOne sales are half decent, I wish they consider this in KeyTwo. They should make the keyboard the smartest thing in the phone.
    BigBadWulf and yuvaraki like this.
    03-05-17 02:17 PM
    That would be an amazing option! But not cost effective.. It's all about the bottom line.
    Not sure how this involves any cost, things would only have to be taken care of in the software side
    Nice idea nonetheless!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-17 02:18 PM
    Would have bee. A really neat feature to have individual backlit keys, when an app that's saved as a shortcut and assigned to the key has a notification, that and those individual keys stay lit up to remind you that app has a notification. And can be dismissed by swiping down on the key that's lit or something of the sort.
    Nice idea!

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2205
    03-05-17 06:00 PM
    Good idea as long as it could be turned off.. I's never use the feature nor want it as the standard notification LED works just fine for me..
    03-05-17 06:02 PM
    This is a really interesting idea. I would imagine it would need some change in hardware for individual lighting elements, no?

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-05-17 06:14 PM
    Not sure how this involves any cost, things would only have to be taken care of in the software side
    Nice idea nonetheless!

Posted via CB10
    Um, that would require for individual LED's behind every key, which isn't the case. Right now there's three (I think) lights that light up the keyboard. No software could make these three lights only show through one individual key rather than the column of keys they are behind...
    xandros9 and mona5804 like this.
    03-05-17 06:16 PM
    Do the Porsche design blackberries have individual leds? I would love this addition in the design bc I have also thought that the backlit keyboards on bbs are not bright enough...
    03-05-17 07:52 PM
    I think it's a wonderful idea. I like what they are doing with the keyboard in terms of swiping, track pad and fingerprint scanner. Spot on saying the keyboard should be the smartest part of the phone. I have always thought since the call and end buttons are gone that when a phone call comes in that the "qwas" buttons should be the answer and "opl(backspace)" keys would be the end call button, could have them light up appropriately as well. With enough effort I think they could make the keyboard so advanced that people would want it for all the extras it brings to the phone, no reason it can't be used all the time not just when typing.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-17 09:53 PM
    This is a very cool idea. I'd love to see this come to fruition and this would definitely need both a software and hardware change to a device.

More than the particulars themselves, I'm on board with the idea that "the keyboard should be the smartest part of the phone". Now, in reality, that's the job of the OS, but I am down with all (or the majority of) the smarts being pumped through the keyboard in the form of visual cues while taking advantage of the keyboard being capacitative. Again, a very cool idea, OP.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-17 10:00 PM
    Um, that would require for individual LED's behind every key, which isn't the case. Right now there's three (I think) lights that light up the keyboard. No software could make these three lights only show through one individual key rather than the column of keys they are behind...
    Sorry but I have absolutely got no clue how does the Keyboard backlighting work currently. I wasn't suggesting an LED behing each key but instead the Backlight for the key itself. I thought each key had a separate backlight instead for the entire row. I guess if each key had an individual backlight, this could be possible via software?
    03-05-17 11:05 PM
    Sorry but I have absolutely got no clue how does the Keyboard backlighting work currently. I wasn't suggesting an LED behing each key but instead the Backlight for the key itself. I thought each key had a separate backlight instead for the entire row. I guess if each key had an individual backlight, this could be possible via software?
    What other light can you use to individually light up each key if not LED?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-05-17 11:10 PM
    What other light can you use to individually light up each key if not LED?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    My bad, I thought you meant like an RGB LED behind each key.
    Yea I would like an individual LED behind each key if this can be implemented. Wonder how much would that cost.
    03-05-17 11:22 PM
    My whole point is Blackberry misses the mark over and over. People can say the technical function isn't possible, but that's BS, they're able to make the keyboard capacitive, they can surely add individual led's under the keyboard and have a series of connectors to add an extra peripheral (functionality). The new phone got delayed, all with the impression that all the features hadn't been disclosed, yet they went to MWC with no real improvements from the last release.

One other benefit to the individual backlit keys would be consistent lighting (no light bleed/colour shifting) and they could further use RGB led's under each key adding further customization and functionality. As much as they don't think that's what people want, that's exactly what Android users like and want - customization. Imagine the keys light up in a game to show a game pad and those keys create the pad - so much added functionality while making use of the keyboard in numerous other ways.
    03-05-17 11:33 PM
    That's an excellent idea. Things like that won't ever get developed until there are PKB user numbers in the millions, though. We're a pretty small group.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-17 11:37 PM
    My bad, I thought you meant like an RGB LED behind each key.
    Yea I would like an individual LED behind each key if this can be implemented. Wonder how much would that cost.
    I don't think the costs of the LED's themselves would be that expensive, but the boards to control them and other things like that to control them might be...
    03-05-17 11:49 PM
    I don't think the costs of the LED's themselves would be that expensive, but the boards to control them and other things like that to control them might be...
    Yea you are right
    03-05-17 11:53 PM
    Great idea! Maybe one day they won't be painted on letters but instead actual little screens that can be changed to another character in another language.

Change to arrow keys when in a game or application that could manipulate it. That's asking input from devs as keyboards aren't prevalent but as an input device, virtual or not, I'd love to see this evolve.

Similar to keys on the apple Mac pro or that surface dial

Being able to lock multiples keys together and effectively turning it into one giant left and right mouse pad or button etc.

Whether or not its viable or even something they could do, it's nice to dream.

Like many have said, why not make the keyboard 'smart'

Posted via CB10
    03-06-17 12:09 AM
    On the old BBOS phones, there are about 5 or 7 leds on the main board under the key pad, plus 2 for the tool belt, and the 9900 and similar got a led to lit up the 'frame' around the track pad.
    Under the keys is a translucent piece of plastic to conduct and diffuse light to all keys. That piece of plastic is also flexible so the keys would bounce up.
    I'm sure there is available technology to make the (plastic) part under the key glows when a current passes through. But the technology could be too expensive at the moment. An easier to imagine option is for each key to be built with a led underneath. Anyway it will cost more to make these. On top of that, there should be partition to block light bleeding between keys. And there it leads to a number of other factors relating to durability, key movement, impact on the key pad membrane and so on, which can be solved.
    It all boils down to how much it will cost more and how many would want it.
    Right now, the cost of the KEYone has suggested it to be for a niche group of user. Adding in individual key lighting and the cost would make it a phone for even a smaller niche.
    Just my 2cents

Posted from my  Passport
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-06-17 05:38 AM
    My whole point is Blackberry misses the mark over and over. People can say the technical function isn't possible, but that's BS, they're able to make the keyboard capacitive, they can surely add individual led's under the keyboard and have a series of connectors to add an extra peripheral (functionality). The new phone got delayed, all with the impression that all the features hadn't been disclosed, yet they went to MWC with no real improvements from the last release.

One other benefit to the individual backlit keys would be consistent lighting (no light bleed/colour shifting) and they could further use RGB led's under each key adding further customization and functionality. As much as they don't think that's what people want, that's exactly what Android users like and want - customization. Imagine the keys light up in a game to show a game pad and those keys create the pad - so much added functionality while making use of the keyboard in numerous other ways.
    I would worry that it could lead to inconsistent lighting. Just like our lights in our house with multiple bulbs (fans, strip in bathrooms, etc). And more opportunities for problems if one goes out--imagine the outcry if some didn't work--"there goes BlackBerry again messing things up." I'm sure we all have an alarm clock where some of the elements don't look as bright. But perhaps it could be built into each key at some point, and of course LEDs are typically far more consistent and stable than other types of lighting sources. Start tweeting BlackBerry Mobile!

Posted via CB10
    MikeWrightBB likes this.
    03-06-17 06:25 AM
    To do that on a reasonably cost-effective basis (and also fit in the case) would require a latched/strobed driver circuit on the keyboard PCB. If BlackBerry starts making phones by the tens of millions again the ASIC cost would fall to a reasonable level, but unless that starts happening while this would be very cool to do the cost of doing it on a per-unit basis would be insane.
    03-06-17 07:36 AM
    Very interesting and innovative idea for sure but not sure how cost effective it will be for production.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-17 07:43 AM
    Or to make it fun, and if you can find one of those electronic tech guy who knows his way, you can have the keyboard led in different colors. I remember back in the days of the 8700 series, one of the guy I know, who is really into Italian Serie A, had his 8700g modified to show the color of Italian flag.

Well, the good old days, when speaker and mike were added on the 5820 to get rid of the 2.5 mm head set, or a range of phones were modified to carry external speakers and gave out quite some loud noise.

Posted from my  Passport
    03-06-17 08:11 AM
    Great idea! Maybe one day they won't be painted on letters but instead actual little screens that can be changed to another character in another language.

Change to arrow keys when in a game or application that could manipulate it. That's asking input from devs as keyboards aren't prevalent but as an input device, virtual or not, I'd love to see this evolve.

Similar to keys on the apple Mac pro or that surface dial

Being able to lock multiples keys together and effectively turning it into one giant left and right mouse pad or button etc.

Whether or not its viable or even something they could do, it's nice to dream.

Like many have said, why not make the keyboard 'smart'

Posted via CB10
    Samsung already did that years ago with the Samsung Alias. It was an incredible innovation and I'd love to see a modern application of it, either from BlackBerry or Samsung.
    03-06-17 09:32 AM
49 12