I have a Microsoft Lumia as a back-up and you're right, the OS is constantly updated and so are the major Microsoft apps but that's where it ends. People who whine and moan about app content in BB World should take a look in Microsoft Store, it's bereft of anything worthwhile. I got this device in November and I was literally shocked as to how many apps weren't available that I regularly use on a BB10 device; the VKB is also the absolute worst that I've ever used on any device. I don't care how good the 'Surface Phone' is, if they don't drastically update that keyboard they might as well not release the devices.
    I'm not an app guy, but you're right about the keyboard. Absolutely terrible...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Last edited by slagman5; 02-10-17 at 04:38 PM.
    02-10-17 08:41 AM
    Not at all, Windows 10 Mobile is regularly updated and works great.

Posted via CB10
    Its market share is so small that analysts don't even bother mentions it anymore (almost the 80% of Windows phones still run WP 8): it's pretty safe to say, imho, that Windows 10 mobile isn't much more diffused than BB 10.
    02-10-17 02:36 PM
    I've been reading about and watching youtube videos about the Microsoft Surface phone. It sounds like both will be launched at about the same time. There are only rumors as of now about how much each will cost, but assuming both will be approximately the same price, which one would you prefer?
    I've been hearing about the "Surface Phone" for a while too, but from what I understand, and actual consumer device is probably still a ways off. Even so, I just can't do Microsoft software. On the phones it isn't so bad, but the desktop software I just can't get used to. Also, I think they have a long way to go before it will ever be a hit with consumers again.

For all those reasons and more, I don't think you could go wrong with the Mercury.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-10-17 04:46 PM
    I've been hearing about the "Surface Phone" for a while too, but from what I understand, and actual consumer device is probably still a ways off. Even so, I just can't do Microsoft software. On the phones it isn't so bad, but the desktop software I just can't get used to. Also, I think they have a long way to go before it will ever be a hit with consumers again.

For all those reasons and more, I don't think you could go wrong with the Mercury.
    Total opposite. Don't mind Windows on the desktop, can't stand Windows Phone, lol.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-10-17 06:07 PM
    I have also been leaning toward getting either a BlackBerry Mercury or a Microsoft Surface phone for over a year now. For the record, my daily driver is a HTC One M8 (for Windows). I also own a BlackBerry Passsport (AT&T). Three of my last four (daily driver) phones have been either Windows Mobile or Windows Phone. The exception was a BlackBerry Torch 9800.

My disclaimer is that I am in my 40s and once thought Radio Shack was the greatest store on the planet. They sold things I could not get anywhere else along with parts and accessories for unique and custom creations. In relation to this, I have loved the idea of a complete all-in-one device that could display Swiss Army knife-like versatility. I was tempted by the Motorola Atrix but the price was too high. The desire for versatility is why I was also intrigued in the past by the Samsung Epic 4G, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Moto X, Priv, Passport, and the HP Elite X3. Some of LG's new phones have currently piqued my interest as well. Someone already mentioned the ability to run x86 programs. I like the idea in principle of being able to run x86 programs on my phone. However, the only way to really effectively do this is to connect/project to another screen and each year I have less of a need for x86 programs. So if you really need access to x86 programs on the go, it would be far more economical to buy a Windows tablet (or laptop). The Universal Windows Platform (UWP) is a good idea and could lead to more apps in the future. However, the problem is UWP is primarily driven by the needs of the desktop, which has less of a need for apps because of a full size screen, keyboard, and browser. Because of the access to all Android apps (and Android's superior IoT integration than Windows), BB security, and the pkb, my next choice is the Mercury. I admit I also like the design nods to the Passport SE and Classic. I will miss my Windows phone because it syncs my music with iTunes through the Windows desktop app, gets email faster than my desktop, has an IR blaster, and I genuinely like Live Tiles. For additional versatility, I may purchase The Superbook by Sentio (The Superbook by Sentio - Transform Your Smartphone into a Laptop). With The Superbook, I can have a full-size screen and keyboard when needed and can use my phone's cellular connection when Wi-Fi is not available.

Happy hunting, Tom48413.

P.S. I really wish the Mercury had an IR blaster.
    02-15-17 12:46 PM
    I have to say PKB aside...as I adjust to Android I am finding it more and more similar to what MS Windows USED to be...a highly configurable, efficient, and usable OS. Windows 10 is a nightmare. Why anyone would want to bring that confusing cluster f*** of tiles and sub-menus to their mobile device is beyond me. Its bad enough on a PC!
    02-15-17 04:25 PM
    One's a rumour (that has been consistently proven false year after year), and another is an unveiling next week.

Is that even a question or comparison?
    02-15-17 09:18 PM
57 123