At 72mm in width if the keys go close to the edge we are losing about one or two keys in width on the Mercury compared to the Passport SE. Having gone back to a physical keyboard, even with big hands, that is not too little width to cope. Look forward to this device!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 09:50 AM
    It also looks like the Mercury has more actual keys than the Passport (probably can be said with all BB PKB's). Like having the SYM key,for example.
    01-11-17 10:18 AM
    Looks like the bottom row of keys on the Mercury may be taller than the Priv. Space bar being one of them, this is important.
    01-11-17 10:46 AM
    I'm anxious, for me on the Priv it felt cramped with the screen right there my thumbs always hit the screen when using the top row.
    01-11-17 11:28 AM
    I'm anxious, for me on the Priv it felt cramped with the screen right there my thumbs always hit the screen when using the top row.
    Now you'll hit the android navigation buttons while typing, especially in the beginning. I do touch the trackpad buttons while typing on my Classic, I have to quit doing that or I'll get mad at the Mercury! OH NOES!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-17 12:31 PM
    Now you'll hit the android navigation buttons while typing, especially in the beginning. I do touch the trackpad buttons while typing on my Classic, I have to quit doing that or I'll get mad at the Mercury! OH NOES!

Posted via CB10
    lol that's ok I'm expecting a learning curve, right now on my S7 Edge for the life of my everytime I hit the "N" or "M" I hit the space bar instead, VERY annoying
    BBwild likes this.
    01-11-17 01:04 PM
    lol that's ok I'm expecting a learning curve, right now on my S7 Edge for the life of my everytime I hit the "N" or "M" I hit the space bar instead, VERY annoying
    Hahaha my girl has the S6 Edge and hit the s instead d several times just today!
    01-11-17 02:17 PM
    Hahaha my girl has the S6 Edge and hit the s instead d several times just today!
    This just looks wrong if you read it like that.

Posted via CB10
    ppeters914 and JOHNGAETANO like this.
    01-11-17 02:22 PM
    This just looks wrong if you read it like that.

Posted via CB10
    LOL
    01-11-17 02:46 PM
    The biggest difference will be getting used to the more efficient shift key. Switching from Passport to the Q10, typing was fine, but my muscle memory was always looking to the bottom of the screen for the punctuation or language switch.
    01-11-17 06:23 PM
    Good thing it has frets.

Blackberry Pilipinas
    01-12-17 03:19 AM
    So today I met a few Blackberry guys in a conference, and took the audacity to approach and ask them about Mercury. Turns out none of them is on the phone division (they knew less than me reading this forum), but a few seconds later one of them digs into his bag, and.. voila.

Very short conversation and I had a very short (few seconds) time holding it in my hand. Don't want to create a thread since I can't answer 99% of the questions ppl wil ask. Here's what I can say :

- Keyboard (since this is the keyboard thread) : definitely inferior to my current Classic. Keys are smaller and sculpting is not nearly as good. I think in CES they mentioned keyboard is still work in progress? Hope it is.
    - The three touch buttons are capacitive, with a vibrate action when they're pressed. Still baffled why they wouldn't do physical buttons for them.
    - Looks : it looks better in person than in pictures. Really does.
    - Weight/feel : Good ! Was light, felt comfortable in hand. NOT top heavy! , could operate and type one handed. Good stuff.
    - LED : didn't ask but his LED was blinking and it was white! Probably not RGB.

The guy said his main issue was adjusting to Android from BB10. Probably will be our main misery too.

(PS : I'm not BSing this story)
    Last edited by pooyam; 01-19-17 at 03:57 PM.
    gregt12, ominaxe, VeniceBB and 3 others like this.
    01-19-17 01:00 PM
    Would you say the keyboard os more like the passport's in regards to the shape of the keys?
    01-19-17 04:15 PM
    So today I met a few Blackberry guys in a conference, and took the audacity to approach and ask them about Mercury. Turns out none of them is on the phone division (they knew less than me reading this forum), but a few seconds later one of them digs into his bag, and.. voila.

Very short conversation and I had a very short (few seconds) time holding it in my hand. Don't want to create a thread since I can't answer 99% of the questions ppl wil ask. Here's what I can say :

- Keyboard (since this is the keyboard thread) : definitely inferior to my current Classic. Keys are smaller and sculpting is not nearly as good. I think in CES they mentioned keyboard is still work in progress? Hope it is.
    - The three touch buttons are capacitive, with a vibrate action when they're pressed. Still baffled why they wouldn't do physical buttons for them.
    - Looks : it looks better in person than in pictures. Really does.
    - Weight/feel : Good ! Was light, felt comfortable in hand. NOT top heavy! , could operate and type one handed. Good stuff.

The guy said his main issue was adjusting to Android from BB10. Probably will be our main misery too.

Yeah, I definitely reckon the keys are way bigger than the PRIV's, but smaller than the Classic's unfortunately. And yes, the keyboard was still some sort of work in progress. I cannot believe the led won't be RGB: even the DTEK 60 supports two colours (white and red), so it would be crazy ruling out our beloved multi-colour led!
    pooyam likes this.
    01-19-17 04:38 PM
    Would you say the keyboard os more like the passport's in regards to the shape of the keys?
    Maybe you could say in regards to the shape, but considering the smaller size (and bad clicking feel) I wouldn't compare to passport at all. As Power Mac confirmed, hopefully they'll change it. The space bar also felt very weird with the protruded edges of the finger print scanner
    01-19-17 05:32 PM
    So today I met a few Blackberry guys in a conference, and took the audacity to approach and ask them about Mercury. Turns out none of them is on the phone division (they knew less than me reading this forum), but a few seconds later one of them digs into his bag, and.. voila. ...

Was the LED in the tiny hole on the right side, or in the larger oval shaped area further to the right?
    Attached Thumbnails Mercury Keyboard Size Compared to Passport-mercury-led-location.jpg  
    01-19-17 05:45 PM

What I'm concerned about is the capacitive buttons having swiping and gesture capacities. In the short time you had it, did you try launching the hub with the up-right Swipe gesture?
    01-19-17 06:01 PM
    The Android navigation buttons (whether on screen or capacities) are not involved with those screen swipe gestures.
    Every time I see someone do the quick 3 app Swipe launcher with BlackBerry on Android, they start from the middle circle button (home?). And in every first look I've seen with the Merc, NO ONE used the gesture.
    01-19-17 06:10 PM
    Every time I see someone do the quick 3 app Swipe launcher with BlackBerry on Android, they start from the middle circle button. And in every first look I've seen with the Merc, NO ONE used the gesture.
    I just did some more checks and I now see that one of the Android navigation buttons does have to be activated in order to compete those swipe gestures. If no navigation buttons are not showing it does not work.

I deleted my original erroneous post.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 01-19-17 at 06:39 PM.
    01-19-17 06:18 PM
    I am in agreement with you, the Priv keyboard feels a bit cramped and if I decide to pickup the Mercury that will be a welcomed change.
    01-19-17 07:21 PM
    I am in agreement with you, the Priv keyboard feels a bit cramped and if I decide to pickup the Mercury that will be a welcomed change.
    Don't expect the size of Mercury's keyboard to be be much different than the PRIV's -- but (hopefully) it might be a bit taller.
    01-19-17 07:50 PM
    the tiny one
    Was the LED in the tiny hole on the right side, or in the larger oval shaped area further to the right?
    01-19-17 09:26 PM
    Every time I see someone do the quick 3 app Swipe launcher with BlackBerry on Android, they start from the middle circle button (home?). And in every first look I've seen with the Merc, NO ONE used the gesture.
    In fact I did try and didn't get it to open hub! Not sure what I was doing wrong
    01-19-17 09:28 PM
    Don't expect the size of Mercury's keyboard to be be much different than the PRIV's -- but (hopefully) it might be a bit taller.
    Been a very long time since I held the priv, and that was pretty short too, but I think the only advantage in this one (again may be temporary) was that at least it wasn't lowered from the surface
    01-19-17 09:30 PM
    am I the only one who would like a the old phones from Nokia and Pantech?

For me it would be great, no matter the thickness.
    01-19-17 09:32 PM
48 12