I'm hoping BlackBerry makes announcements at CES as to when the other Blackdroid phones (PRIV, 50, 60) will be getting the Nougat updates + when will the 50 finally get Picture Password.

Haven't heard anything from them lately, and I really hope they've been working on all this stuff.
    cnotp likes this.
    01-03-17 12:08 PM
    They will likely give the Mercury Nougat-exclusivity for a few weeks, and then push it out to everyone else.

We'll know ahead of time when the beta program starts putting out Nougat.
    01-03-17 12:31 PM
    I'm hoping BlackBerry makes announcements at CES as to when the other Blackdroid phones (PRIV, 50, 60) will be getting the Nougat updates + when will the 50 finally get Picture Password.

Haven't heard anything from them lately, and I really hope they've been working on all this stuff.
    Wow. Dtek50 is still without the Pictute Password?
    Wow! Again and again-after the PB, BB10.... I see thats BlackBerry DNA.
    Oh and yeahh: BlackBerry is a SW Company now... :P

Posted via CB10
    01-03-17 12:35 PM
    01-04-17 11:13 AM
    You are aware that you can subscribe to a thread?
    01-04-17 11:17 AM
    Wow. Dtek50 is still without the Pictute Password?
    Wow! Again and again-after the PB, BB10.... I see thats BlackBerry DNA.
    Oh and yeahh: BlackBerry is a SW Company now... :P

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has no plans to release new BB10 devices | MobileSyrup.com
    01-04-17 11:21 AM
    I hope that LOTS of Mercury phones are sold , so many praises and awards at CES 2017 on the Mercury.
    01-14-17 05:17 PM
    It kind of sounded like TCL would be unveiling a BlackBerry roadmap at MWC, so hopefully we'll get a lot more information of what's to come.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-17 06:43 PM
    They will likely give the Mercury Nougat-exclusivity for a few weeks, and then push it out to everyone else.

BlackBerry used to do this with BB10 as well. Hold out on an OS so a new device gets it first. Such a ridiculous strategy in my opinion. Galaxy S8 is being launched at MWC, yet Samsung didn't wait to push N to their S7 users. BlackBerry reasoning for this makes absolutely zero sense.
    01-14-17 06:50 PM
    BlackBerry used to do this with BB10 as well. Hold out on an OS so a new device gets it first. Such a ridiculous strategy in my opinion. Galaxy S8 is being launched at MWC, yet Samsung didn't wait to push N to their S7 users. BlackBerry reasoning for this makes absolutely zero sense.
    Leverage a bit of exclusivity on the latest software with their latest hardware? Yeah, where could you possibly find any logic in that! Then again, this is BlackBerry we are talking about - if they had any logic they would just push Nougat to all of the BB10 devices, too.
    01-14-17 07:13 PM
    It would be great if BlackBerry would get back into the phone design business. TLC could use the help. All the better phone companies have or had a consistent design language. The Alcatel phones are pretty ho hum.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-17 10:07 AM
    If I'm going to guess.. Wel probably get nougat in August or so? Not sure..
    01-16-17 01:29 AM
    Do you think Nougat will be the last major update for the PRIV?
    01-16-17 02:46 AM
    Do you think Nougat will be the last major update for the PRIV?
    That's if it gets it at all
    01-16-17 02:53 AM

I would hope the DTEK60 gets it the same day mercury does, considering it is their flagship. (Assuming of course the mercury maintains its mid range status as rumoured)
    01-16-17 11:04 AM
    Leverage a bit of exclusivity on the latest software with their latest hardware? Yeah, where could you possibly find any logic in that! Then again, this is BlackBerry we are talking about - if they had any logic they would just push Nougat to all of the BB10 devices, too.
    What leverage do you figure is there? Do you think people will solely buy it based on the fact that it has Android N first? Or that people will dump their existing BlackBerry Android devices for the mercury simply because the new one got N first where otherwise they wouldn't (even though they will get it within a month or so)? I think it's an absolute ridiculous strategy.
    01-16-17 11:09 AM
    I would hope the DTEK60 gets it the same day mercury does, considering it is their flagship. (Assuming of course the mercury maintains its mid range status as rumoured)
    This would make sense to me, too. I get the idea of keeping Nougat exclusive, to drive up sales of the latest device, but the Mercury and DTEK60 don't compete with eachother at all. The only thing would be if TCL has another all touch device coming soon.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 11:52 AM
    Who will release the next BlackBerry first, TCL or the exclusive Android BlackBerry for Indonesia... and what said if Indo gets Nouget and they call it Dtek70!

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 04:43 PM
    Who will release the next BlackBerry first, TCL or the exclusive Android BlackBerry for Indonesia... and what said if Indo gets Nouget and they call it Dtek70!
    There won't be conflict in naming-schemes, that's a given, and the device(s) exclusively for Indonesian market will come with entry-level pricing & specs (and most likely entry-level quality too).

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 05:41 PM
    It would be great if BlackBerry would get back into the phone design business. TLC could use the help. All the better phone companies have or had a consistent design language. The Alcatel phones are pretty ho hum.

Posted via CB10
    no point. unless you are a big player, there is no profit in it.
    01-16-17 05:48 PM
    I would actually argue that the Mercury is going to be more of their flagship Android device regardless of specs. It will be far more definitive and, in my not-so-humble opinion, will be their only Android 'hat' likely to be noticed in that already very crowded ring.
    01-20-17 05:11 PM
    I would actually argue that the Mercury is going to be more of their flagship Android device regardless of specs. It will be far more definitive and, in my not-so-humble opinion, will be their only Android 'hat' likely to be noticed in that already very crowded ring.
    I think that is their intention, the physical QWERTY keyboard is their "trademark".

I mean, you say BlackBerry to anyone and immediately they will think about that first, usually. I also believe that is how they are positioning this phone. I am pretty sure that somewhere down the line there will be more powerful full-touch from BlackBerry/TCL but the Mercury will still be positioned as THE flagship despite its lower specs in terms of processor.

Personally, I don't see this phone selling as hugely as anticipated by some, I hope it does but I have been here before. There hype is going to be short-lived. Regardless, I am one of those who will buy it.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-21-17 12:48 AM
    Personally, I don't see this phone selling as hugely as anticipated by some, I hope it does but I have been here before. There hype is going to be short-lived. Regardless, I am one of those who will buy it.

Posted via CB10
    I think just getting it out there enough so that the general public changes their sentiment that "BlackBerry is dead" to "maybe they are still relevant" would be acceptable. Even if sales aren't a runaway success, slow and steady traction would be great!

I don't really have any facts to back this up, but I don't imagine that smartphone sales are still booming the way that they've been over the last few years. I'd still imagine they are steady but I find it hard to imagine that there are hoards of people slobbering to get the new Samsung or iPhone the day it comes out. A smartphone itself is far less significant than it once was and I would think the launch of a new device is the same. For BlackBerry, they have room (a lot of room) to lessen the gap between them and the other players (a lot of room) whereas, for the 'top dogs,' it's going to be pretty near impossible to maintain their sales figures to what they've been.

It would be foolish to think that anyone (including BlackBerry and TCL) expects this device to sell tens of millions. The fact that BlackBerry has managed to stay in the device business up until now is a testament to their grit and they really do have a chance to compete again. They don't need this device to be a runaway hit. They just need it to sell more than their last few attempts and it definitely has the potential to do that.
    01-21-17 07:33 AM