So, you guys who had/have the phone for testing - how does the camera perform? Can it be compared to the Priv?

Classic "TeamMustang"
    01-05-17 01:01 AM
    So, you guys who had/have the phone for testing - how does the camera perform? Can it be compared to the Priv?

Classic "TeamMustang"
    3 words: Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

Posted via CB10
    PALoeza likes this.
    01-05-17 01:03 AM
    One reviewer snapped some pictures from both the rear and front cameras. He said rear camera was fast and selfie looked good. Honestly though he said the software on the phone was early build and so is the hardware(alpha build) but I think the quality will be similar to rear camera of priv/dtek60 and front similar to dtek60. Blackberry just has to keep improving it's cameras software.

This is the reviewer.
    Bob80220 and tiada nama1 like this.
    01-05-17 01:16 AM
    IIRC I heard some reviewer (prolly engadget, a girl reviewer) said the front cam looks good.
    01-05-17 01:18 AM
    Should be on par with what's out in markets these days. Don't expect the quality of high end Samsung phones though.
    01-05-17 05:07 AM
    I think you'll enjoy the low-light performance.
    01-07-17 01:20 AM
    This reviewer also mentioned that the camera app included full manual controls.
    johnmarki likes this.
    01-07-17 10:54 AM
    I may be eating crow on this one as well. The phone looks really nice. Only concerned i'd have (except for it being Android) is the screen size looks a bit small. It might have been better to see the proportions stay the same but a bit of an increase in overall size. But, I've never handled it in real life yet, so that's a guess at this point.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-17 11:42 AM
    Lets reviewer also mentioned that the camera app included full by C manual controls.
    Homes
    01-07-17 12:02 PM
    Better than the Priv, which is already great in low light ?!
    01-07-17 12:15 PM
    I think the camera was kinda given up, 18mp front facing camera and an 8 mp selfie cam.

All in all if it takes decent photos and its clear I'm happy with it,

I'm not all into those tech guys reviewing photos and going into details about all those weird terms.
    01-07-17 12:21 PM
    Fantastic to see you here! Seems that your successor(s) haven't found CrackBerry (yet?).
    I will purchase the Mercury on day 1! I hope for a bit less watercolor post-processing effect in low-light/artificial light circumstances.

Like I said here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12722237, it seems nobody can still tell who is responsible for the development of the cam of the Merc, BlackBerry or TCL?

But what you say about low-light performance, is it about this?

Would it be possible to use binning to increase sensor sensitivity (and to decrease noise) while at the same time reducing MP (an acceptable tradeoff to me anyways)? Could this be implemented via software in an update?

Thought I'd ask.
    Possibly.
    Original thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post12455945

I hope your successors have time to also deal with these annoying "breathing artifacts" as you called it:
    The AF tuning is down in the drivers, so would need a new platform software release, and all the tuning guys are tied up on newer devices. .
    I'm guessing the time is right now for this "new platform release" with the introduction of the upcoming Merc? Original thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12633952

And would possibly have a look at the so-called: "Hybrid mode" too:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12451695

P.S. I don't know why it happens so often as of lately, but indoors in low-light/artificial light situations it seems that with the Priv I can't for example film my dog (with the torch light on) eating a bone without having to tap on the screen constantly to get it in focus again. Locking it doesn't help here since he keeps relocating the bone in front of me.

I don't know what causes it, but without you elaborating on it in your message, I can only hope some things improve (significantly) when I will purchase the Merc @ day 1.

Still sad, that there is zero discussion on CB any longer with first-line BlackBerry technical team members.....
    It all seems so useless now to even start a thread about some issues/suggestions and what not as there is no feedback any longer.
    It's too much of a coincidence that since you (and other tech team members working for other departments are practically not posting any longer (e.g. c_bryant34 etc.), there haven't been any new updates any longer introducing new options/settings/improvements and what not. Not talking about cam improvements since they have been dealt with for a big part, but more cool features like the torch light last time or camera user interface improvements, cam gimmicks etc.

Cheers and a belated happy New Year to you m8.
    Last edited by WT44; 01-08-17 at 03:00 PM.
    01-08-17 11:49 AM
    The camera can not be underestimated in the success of a new device. I'm enjoying my DTEK60 right now, but long for a pkb device WITH a good camera. Enjoyed reading this thread, hopefully the pro's can keep it going.

Cheers,
    01-08-17 04:12 PM
    Please have bigger pixels rather than more. Flagship phones from Apple Samsung and Google use lower mega pixels but bigger pixels for more light. Mercury should follow the same trend.

Posted via CB10
    WT44 likes this.
    01-09-17 02:46 AM
    I may be eating crow on this one as well. The phone looks really nice. Only concerned i'd have (except for it being Android) is the screen size looks a bit small. It might have been better to see the proportions stay the same but a bit of an increase in overall size. But, I've never handled it in real life yet, so that's a guess at this point.

Posted via CB10
    That's a great idea...if you'd like BlackBerry to release an unusable phone that kills the company. Sales numbers coming in at one.

It's a keyboard phone. Not some dorky, unmanageable mess of something considerably more obnoxious than a phablet.

Posted via CB10
    WT44 likes this.
    01-09-17 09:24 AM
    Didn't you guys notice that the screen isn't fully utilized in the camera (Front and Back)? Notice the black sides in the front cam, and then after he takes a picture using the back cam.

I also noticed this in the below hands-on (min 2:12):

WT44 likes this.
    01-09-17 10:57 AM
    Because the picture resolution is most likely set at 16:9 on a 3:2 screen.
    01-09-17 02:21 PM