Anyone else pick up on the idea that this could be the beginning of a series of pkb phones, KEYtwo, KEYthree, etc?

Disclaimer: I did not watch the event, so maybe they touched on this already.

Posted with my  Classic
    02-25-17 09:16 PM
    Yup my thought exactly. Would be weird if there's a KeyOne 2 and then KeyOne 3 lol
    02-25-17 09:21 PM
    Anyone else pick up on the idea that this could be the beginning of a series of pkb phones, KEYtwo, KEYthree, etc?

Posted with my  Classic
    100 percent. In fact some in Barcelona told me that it was said to them from TCL execs " See you next year for the KEYtwo release."
    pooyam likes this.
    02-25-17 09:22 PM
    100 percent. In fact some in Barcelona told me that it was said to them from TCL execs " See you next year for the KEYtwo release."
    well then there it is lol.

Posted with my  Classic
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-25-17 09:24 PM
    Yup my thought exactly. Would be weird if there's a KeyOne 2 and then KeyOne 3 lol
    Yup lol.

Posted with my  Classic
    02-25-17 09:24 PM
    I'm hoping they would consider launching a re-hashed Priv as the KEYone S, SD653, 4GB, 32 or 64GB, and everything else as-is on the Priv.
    02-25-17 09:25 PM
    well then there it is lol.

Posted with my  Classic
    Good ear though
    02-25-17 09:25 PM
    I'm hoping they would consider launching a re-hashed Priv as the KEYone S, SD653, 4GB, 32 or 64GB, and everything else as-is on the Priv.
    This is big for TCL , I wouldn't be surprised if that happens
    02-25-17 09:26 PM
    With all the complaint about the Priv keyboard, I don't think a Priv2 would be feasible
    02-25-17 09:28 PM
    With all the complaint about the Priv keyboard, I don't think a Priv2 would be feasible
    Probably not but a slider BlackBerry Mobile version might be in the cards
    02-25-17 09:29 PM
    And it won't be 299 USD
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    02-25-17 09:29 PM
    The problem is the form factor of a slider would leave literally no room for the keyboard to feel as clicky as most people want, so...
    02-25-17 09:31 PM
    The problem is the form factor of a slider would leave literally no room for the keyboard to feel as clicky as most people want, so...
    The torch never had a problem
    Pez1983 likes this.
    02-25-17 09:33 PM
    The torch never had a problem
    Nor have my Priv. It's not as clicky as I want it, but as long as it's more than a flat screen, I'm fine with it.
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-25-17 09:59 PM
    It's a continuation of the Alcatel naming convention.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 10:18 PM
    Well if their presentations are gonna be like how it was today then there won't be a NextOne. (pun intended)

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    02-25-17 11:51 PM
    And it won't be 299 USD
    $299 USD?! Ridicous!!! That's high end price! I want to pay $5 for that device!

Waaah! (:P)
    Carjackd and Nathan Conley like this.
    02-25-17 11:54 PM
    This could absolutely be the start of a new brand. From watching the videos people seem genuinely pleased with the device. The keyboard seems to be the sticking point for some people but it's likely due to having not used one in so long.

Being a longtime passport user I love the capacitive touch so I don't have to constantly touch and gunk up my screen, the shortcuts, etc.

I think they've hit a niche market here that will hopefully get people to upgrade to this phone to continue future development.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 11:56 PM
    I hated the name first and feels like my first pspone or airforceone and then I understand it's meaning. I allready call it the KEY, BlackBerry KEY.

It is the key device too get settle back in the market and the key to let people come back that moved away from the superior keyboard and mostly using social media,browsing. Still one thing they need is the right price to get those people back and I say 499 euro.

ps
    I will probably pay the extra 100 euro but still has some doubts and I'm the guy that bought the passport and passport SE at launch and like bb10 more then blackdroid

Posted via CB10
    meattray likes this.
    02-26-17 12:05 AM
    The was only a short relation to key during the presentation where it was mention 'capturing the KEY heritage of Blackberry'.

Posted from my  Passport
    02-26-17 12:10 AM
    If it don't sell well in days to come... KEY2 could be the fullstop to the series.
    Just like 9800, 9810, Storm 9500, 9520.
    02-26-17 12:12 AM
    Right when I saw the name, I assumed there would be a sequel.

My problem with every BB10 phone is that, apart from the Z10 to Z30, there was never a viable upgrade from any device. The Q10, Q5, Passport and Classic never had sequels, and I personally didn't like the idea of having to change form factors (ex. Q10 to Passport with its three-row keyboard) for a new device. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's going to be a Priv sequel, either.

I like the sense of security knowing that I'll be able to upgrade to something new, yet still familiar.
    02-26-17 01:52 AM
    If that's the case I'll definitely not be watching that live stream. But yes that's what I was thinking also k1 then k2 etc if the k1 sales prove to be financially worth it.
    02-26-17 02:13 AM
    if keyone is successful, the platform re-use should be in the card. Your recovery of R&D should be already done after the keyone,the profit margin should be higher with subsequent device using similar format (your MFG and reliability assume all stable). Hopefully, TCL not doing silly stuff like to cut cost to try new MFG facility or lower components cost by buy some un-known SOURCE (fake or out of bin components). It will cost you arms and legs if you are not careful (the guy who ever sold you on the idea of cost cutting might be jump ship with bonus and glorify resume). Consider yourself warned. Just remove the R&D and MFG equipment cost would be enough for next gen to be profitable, even as keyone SE or keyone re-fresh... (low cost version, for example, or even beef up version... you might even be able to use same tooling, if just the color change with extra memory for example... the keyone road map should all spell out...with the software upgrade timeline...do not throw out a device for generate some buzz, only do it when it is in need... e.g. high end required, due to dual camera for VR 3D for example). Never ever listen to the spec buyers. those are not reliable customer you want to attract... IMHO
    02-26-17 05:16 AM
    I just hope they are successful enough to at least make a 7nm SoC Premium PKB phone next year. That should last a long time without feeling out of date compared to flagships by likes of Apple and Samsung. I think it is a issue with KEYone is in terms of performance, it is very similar to likes of iPhone 5S and BlackBerry Passport but being released in 2017 and might up against devices by some of the big brands like HTC which probably have a Snapdragon 835 and it might be priced lower so to get a much slower less efficient phone for more is going to be a hard sell. Hopefully this device doesn't kill the PKB devices future, I think if price is dropped by £100, it will become more competitive due to having a decent camera.

I think the transition period of BlackBerry stopping doing mobile hardware and partnering with TCL has delayed the release of this phone so I think in future they will release more competitive devices when TCL are more in control. Just hope there is a future for these phones.
    So you want potentially a less efficient more overheating PRIV in 2017/2018? Hopefully if TCL do a slider, it is at least a 14nm SoC. Would want ideally a 10nm 835 SoC though without the curved screen and also a better keyboard if I was to get one.
    02-26-17 05:53 AM
39 12