So it's quite exciting that the KEYone will be hitting our shores in under a month. To date, Blackberry has been good at releasing Google's security patches in a timely manner, which is great.

One worry of mine is that PRIV owners still don't have Nougat a full 6 months after it was released. Often you can judge a company on their previous behaviour, so hopefully BlackBerry pull their socks up and start keeping up to date with Google's OS releases. It'd be nice not to have to rely on Pixel (or Nexus) devices to have access to the latest version of Android.

I can imagine PRIV buyers feeling somewhat peeved at the moment so I wonder whether that will also be the case for KEYone buyers stuck on Nougat months after the KEYtwo is released next year?
    03-08-17 04:10 AM
    03-08-17 04:44 AM
    I think most people do not even expect an OS update ever. They buy a phone (any phone) as is and expect it to work as is for the duration of the device. The only certain OS updates happen on iPhone and as you said Nexus devices and the Pixel now. It is what it is.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 04:57 AM
    Wish just like good ol days when the autoloader available for people who like to tinkering with their phones lol
    😁
    Sarek1701 likes this.
    03-08-17 05:40 AM
    Most Android phone still aren't running Nougat. So for the Priv to not be running it does not surprise me. Regardless, I think BB would wait for the K1 release before they roll out Nougat to their other devices.

But I will tell you that one thing that my Priv has the all other Nougat phones even dont have is the March, and in most cases Jan/Feb, security update. The fact that BB is pushing out security patches within the first week in the month tells me they're committed to Android and I think that's the level of service we can hope to expect.
    03-08-17 06:21 AM
    I understand some people have no intention of ever upgrading their OS, but others do like to keep up to date.

It would be good if BlackBerry found a way to stay out of the process so that the more technically savvy could use an OTA update whilst everyone else receives it a couple of months down the track. Six months isn't acceptable however.
    03-08-17 08:15 AM
    Most Android phone still aren't running Nougat.
    Most is a bit of an understatement... 97.2% of Android phones in use still aren't running Nougat.
    State of Android update: Nougat gains, Lollipop still on top - GSMArena.com news
    03-08-17 08:37 AM
    Most is a bit of an understatement... 97.2% of Android phones in use still aren't running Nougat.
    State of Android update: Nougat gains, Lollipop still on top - GSMArena.com news
    And here we are laying criticism that Nougat was released 6 months we don't have it!?? Come on let's be realistic 2.8% are on it! I rather wait and get a good update. Have been reading forums at Android Central and some not every is pleased with update. Also keep in mind that BlackBerry has to make sure it is working properly with built-in security on devices.
    Ps yes my PRIV running perfectly on MM so no rush!

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 10:50 AM
    Last year, there was a segment of the CrackBerry population, who actually were on Android, and not just complaining for complaining sake, who were quite pleased to get MM in the spring. We also found it to be a very useful upgrade from Lolipop. I will still have my PRIV, even if I get the KEYone right away, and will enjoy Nougat on it as well. I have had two other Android devices in the past. My Motorola Atrix got a minor upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3 gingerbread, and of course, the Google Nexus 6P got all the new stuff. Mind you, the 6P could not connect to my pebble watch and stay connected for a few months after I purchased the phone. (purchased in December, would not stay connected until February) So be careful what you wish for. Bleeding edge isnt always the best.
    03-08-17 11:44 AM
    So it's quite exciting that the KEYone will be hitting our shores in under a month. To date, Blackberry has been good at releasing Google's security patches in a timely manner, which is great.

One worry of mine is that PRIV owners still don't have Nougat a full 6 months after it was released. Often you can judge a company on their previous behaviour, so hopefully BlackBerry pull their socks up and start keeping up to date with Google's OS releases. It'd be nice not to have to rely on Pixel (or Nexus) devices to have access to the latest version of Android.

I can imagine PRIV buyers feeling somewhat peeved at the moment so I wonder whether that will also be the case for KEYone buyers stuck on Nougat months after the KEYtwo is released next year?
    Top phone producers in the world still haven't pushed N on their flagships, others have delayed it, while a few have managed to do good with their products and pushed the N update.
    I don't see why hurry with an update, especially when BB needs to bake some security into N, I just hope that all android BB phones will be able to play youtube while the screen is turned off
    03-08-17 01:01 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if Priv never receive nougat. BlackBerry is now focusing on keyone and auorora so they don't have time for old phones.
    03-08-17 01:27 PM
    I may go back to a priv if it gets nougat. can use the whole screen like KEYone for Multi-Window.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    03-08-17 01:54 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if Priv never receive nougat. BlackBerry is now focusing on keyone and auorora so they don't have time for old phones.
    I feel the opposite, I'd be surprised if they didn't update.

BlackBerry at least has had a good run with updates on BlackBerry 10 up until now and I'm assuming the delay may come down to agreements with their partners to allow them to release their phones on nougat first.

I don't know much about the security hardening but you would think the Priv wouldn't be far off considering the KEYone is close to release with it. At least the 6.0 was a great update due to permissions.

A good indicator is to see if other similar spec phones have upgraded to 7.0 and the user experience.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 02:01 PM
    Software won't be any different. Doesn't make sense to not update priv
    03-08-17 02:31 PM
    I feel the opposite, I'd be surprised if they didn't update.

BlackBerry at least has had a good run with updates on BlackBerry 10 up until now and I'm assuming the delay may come down to agreements with their partners to allow them to release their phones on nougat first.

I don't know much about the security hardening but you would think the Priv wouldn't be far off considering the KEYone is close to release with it. At least the 6.0 was a great update due to permissions.

A good indicator is to see if other similar spec phones have upgraded to 7.0 and the user experience.

Posted via CB10
    I hope they can update all their dtek series but I remember that BlackBerry had hard time keeping up the update for dtek50. BlackBerry priority was more on dtek60 and priv. I thought they're barely catching up or something. Now that they're adding two more phones to their line up, I am not sure if they have enough man power to update all. Remember, they're now small group of people working now.
    03-08-17 02:40 PM
    And here we are laying criticism that Nougat was released 6 months we don't have it!?? Come on let's be realistic 2.8% are on it! I rather wait and get a good update. Have been reading forums at Android Central and some not every is pleased with update. Also keep in mind that BlackBerry has to make sure it is working properly with built-in security on devices.
    Ps yes my PRIV running perfectly on MM so no rush!

Posted via CB10
    The problem, though, is that BlackBerry has basically admitted they have Nougat in their hands already by way of the KEYone and Aurora. They've done the smoothing out on that hardware, so they should at least be at a point of 'beta' stages on previous devices such as Priv, DTEK50 and DTEK60.

It's easy to say 'most devices don't have it anyway, I can wait' but BlackBerry should, at the very least, drop information on what their intentions are for Nougat on previous devices. It creates consumer angst to see NEWER devices getting launched with it and no mention of previous devices.

They lose nothing by putting a possible timeframe on release for previous devices. They can only gain customer confidence by doing so. Unless of course, the news isn't good, in which case, they will have flubbed on a bunch of goodwill if they don't have very good reasons for not doing so.
    03-08-17 02:44 PM
    Software won't be any different. Doesn't make sense to not update priv
    From my understanding, it's not that simple. For example, DTEK50 and keyone will have totally different optimizing process and that takes time. If it was that easy, all samsung phone would be equally optimized.
    03-08-17 03:07 PM
    ... They lose nothing by putting a possible timeframe on release for previous devices. They can only gain customer confidence by doing so. Unless of course, the news isn't good, in which case, they will have flubbed on a bunch of goodwill if they don't have very good reasons for not doing so.
    I agree it would be nice for them to at least mention it, but then next comes the promised dates, and look how well the time frames for 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 worked out.
    Cong Tuan Nguyen likes this.
    03-08-17 05:51 PM
    But I will tell you that one thing that my Priv has the all other Nougat phones even dont have is the March, and in most cases Jan/Feb, security update.
    BlackBerry has been great about security updates, but so has Moto. I received mine on the 2nd. Google phones are starting to receive them too.
    03-08-17 11:38 PM
    Really surprised by Samsung.... they are Apple's main opponent in Enterprise, yet they do a very poor job of pushing out monthly and major updates. Which I expect is one reason that Apple is so dominate in Enterprise.

I don't feel BlackBerry is out of line in not having Nougat out for the PRIV and DTEKs... but some sort of "roadmap" that would allow for Enterprise customers to do planning, that I'm very surprised they haven't released that kind of information.

Probably not a need based on sales of past devices, but going forward... think BlackBerry has to start showing they have long term plans. Or Apple and their constancy... will only grow their Enterprise user base.
    BigBadWulf and jakie55 like this.
    03-09-17 07:15 AM
    Really surprised by Samsung.... they are Apple's main opponent in Enterprise, yet they do a very poor job of pushing out monthly and major updates. Which I expect is one reason that Apple is so dominate in Enterprise.

I don't feel BlackBerry is out of line in not having Nougat out for the PRIV and DTEKs... but some sort of "roadmap" that would allow for Enterprise customers to do planning, that I'm very surprised they haven't released that kind of information.

Probably not a need based on sales of past devices, but going forward... think BlackBerry has to start showing they have long term plans. Or Apple and their constancy... will only grow their Enterprise user base.
    This^^^, and...

I think it's pretty critical they get the phones in carrier stores. I doubt many corporations are going to pay full boat for a BlackBerry, when they can purchase other brands at deep discounts.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-09-17 07:22 AM
    Anyone with a K1 that can tell me if there is the cursor option under developer options in N? It seems that for Priv and M, only the Verizon and Korean fw have this option, I'm curios if the current fw of K1 has this option or not. Thanks.
    03-09-17 07:50 AM
    I agree it would be nice for them to at least mention it, but then next comes the promised dates, and look how well the time frames for 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 worked out.
    That was BlackBerry 10 though. The problems there should speak for themselves.
    BigBadWulf and jakie55 like this.
    03-09-17 08:08 AM
    Anyone with a K1 that can tell me if there is the cursor option under developer options in N? It seems that for Priv and M, only the Verizon and Korean fw have this option, I'm curios if the current fw of K1 has this option or not. Thanks.
    Haha, I ended up quoting myself just to ask the same question again
    Anyone that can answer this?
    03-13-17 03:45 PM
    I don't mean to take this thread off-topic, but why do so many Android manufacturers have a difficult time updating their hardware?

It seems like a lot of manufacturers have talked a good game about updates, then totally bail on the commitment. Is the OS that difficult to update? Is it a massive pain to do? Does it take an exceptionally large amount of resources to do?
    03-13-17 04:24 PM
30 12