There is yet another division between us here on CrackBerry; we have two groups of people that are disgusted with the KEYone and those that love it. Typical fun filled day at CB. It's why I love these forums so much, the division that BlackBerry creates for us.

There are too many posts on multiple threads about how the KEYone is a major disappointment. Instead of posting my thoughts in all of them, I decided to create my own thread that's looking to all the nay-sayers.

Most of the arguments against the KEYone are based around the fact that the specs are under-powered for a price too high. Based on these issues, cheaper, more powerful phones will kill it and BlackBerry can't gain traction with such an expensive device.

First, how can anyone say that cheaper phones with better specs will kill the KEYone? KEYone was DOA. But you guys are not understanding that absolutely nothing can compare to the KEYone, nothing. I don't care if the thing's got a 85635055+ processor and still costs 100 dollars, it's still not going to compare to it. You know why? It has a flippin' keyboard.

Someone that wants a keyboarded device is not going to say,' hey, I should just buy a OnePlus or Moto whatever, it's much better value for the money'. If you want a keyboarded device you're going to get one. There is absolutely no other option. You're not going to care about the price, you're going to care about the product.

Second, does anyone honestly believe that BlackBerry Mobile's savior is going to be a PKB? Heck no. The writing's on the wall, there are not many people who want a PKB anymore. How would a product no one wants save a company? The KEYone is not intended to save the company, it was to keep it relevant and I think it will do just that.

BBMo is well aware that it won't sell many KEYone devices because the majority of people do not want PKBs anymore. So what do you do to turn a profit and still cut a slice of the PKB niche? Raise the price and keep the specs low. They're going to make a killing on the sales that they do make for those that just have to have a keyboard. You're also going to learn about your new niche market.

It's like another post here comparing it to a BMW. There are so many other cars that are better, cheaper, or more powerful than say a BMW 1 series. For what it is, it is way overpriced. It has an under-powered, small engine, it's cramped, and kinda ugly. But if you want to have those beautiful breaks, the brand, the rear wheel drive, and adaptive suspension, you'll buy it because you care about the drive more than anything else.

The phone will be just fine, it will get you where you need to go. Will it get you there in record time? No. Will it last you for 4 years? Probably not.

But what you need to all understand is that what you're paying for isn't the internals or hardware, but what the phone stands for.
    Last edited by ominaxe; 02-26-17 at 09:16 AM.
    02-26-17 09:04 AM
    And here Lg unveils their G6 with SD 820/821 for 549 euro. Lel

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 09:06 AM
    Can I ask what your plans are for the keyone?
    02-26-17 09:09 AM
    Pretty much spot on Ops....
    02-26-17 09:09 AM
    But you get an LG Instead of BlackBerry. Obviously BlackBerry/TCL did some research and know this phone can run well on the processor they chose.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 09:11 AM

Posted via CB10
    And no keyboard... Did you even read the post?
    02-26-17 09:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    You essentially ignored the entire premise of the OP with this statement.
    02-26-17 09:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    You like your SD820 so much? Well the DTEK60 sells for $450.
    02-26-17 09:15 AM
    I was going to post here but then realised you started it for the nay sayers which is a category I don't fall into ,so I just kept on typing on my dtek50 vkb and wish I already had the k1 in hand. I do think your thread post is a good idea and gets a thumbs up 👍 However it's still good to read both and all views.
    02-26-17 09:15 AM
    Can I ask what your plans are for the keyone?
    Buy it.

I was going to post here but then realised you started it for the nay sayers which is a category I don't fall into ,so I just kept on typing on my dtek50 vkb and wish I already had the k1 in hand. I do think your thread post is a good idea and gets a thumbs up 👍 However it's still good to read both and all views.
    K1. I like that.

I'm definitely in agreement with you, it's these back and forth arguments that keeps us moving. I'm not gonna stop reading the other's opinions, I just didn't feel like responding to 6 different threads all saying the same thing.
    falbo and DavidBlackBelt like this.
    02-26-17 09:22 AM
    Love this post, he's spot on. Besides the Mercury (refuse to call it the keyOne) what else will we get?

Il buy one.
    Greened likes this.
    02-26-17 09:26 AM
    You like your SD820 so much? Well the DTEK60 sells for $450.
    Ha ha! Well said. Nothing like some sunlight to scare off a troll.
    Greened likes this.
    02-26-17 09:27 AM
    Are you suggesting I buy it or...
    02-26-17 09:27 AM
    I'm not in total agreement about people not wanting to use a PKB anymore. You talk to any long time cellular user and for the most part they all had a BlackBerry at one point and time and they almost always say they miss their PKB.

The problem is the general consumer/long time cellular user has no idea BlackBerry is still in the wireless game. When I show them my PRIV they are speechless about the device existing and running on android. Some serious marketing needs to go into the K1 to let the general public know it exists and available at major carriers.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    02-26-17 09:30 AM
    I'm not in total agreement about people not wanting to use a PKB anymore. You talk to any long time cellular user and for the most part they all had a BlackBerry at one point and time and they almost always say they miss their PKB.

The problem is the general consumer/long time cellular user has no idea BlackBerry is still in the wireless game. When I show them my PRIV they are speechless about the device existing and running on android. Some serious marketing needs to go into the K1 to let the general public know it exists and available at major carriers.
    Absolutely! They need to hire a professional marketing firm to get the word out that they are back.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 09:36 AM

To you, does it seem like BlackBerry Mobile is concerned with attracting the general consumer?
    bcbbanga4l and andy957 like this.
    02-26-17 09:38 AM
    There are too many posts on multiple threads about how the KEYone is a major disappointment. Instead of posting my thoughts in all of them, I decided to create my own thread that's looking to all the nay-sayers.
    Yes because segregation of opinions is what the Internet is about. You should build yourself a wall to fend of anyone who disagrees with you.
    02-26-17 09:38 AM
    Absolutely! They need to hire a professional marketing firm to get the word out that they are back.

Posted via CB10
    TCL has deep pockets. But don't forget they are marketing the BlackBerry brand as an enterprise grade upgrade from their consumer Alcatel line.
    bcbbanga4l likes this.
    02-26-17 09:39 AM
    To you, does it seem like BlackBerry Mobile is concerned with attracting the general consumer?
    Short answer to your question, yes. Longer answer, I think they are focusing this device on the enterprise/government market but I'm sure they are not disregarding what a successful launch of this device to the general consumer would do. The general consumer is all about socializing on their phone, whether that's FB, Twitter, Instagram, texts and emailing. If they could realize the ease of keyboard shortcuts and typing on a PKB is non comparable to a VKB then I think it would be a big hit and BlackBerry Mobile would love that.
    02-26-17 09:44 AM
    There is yet another division between us here on CrackBerry; we have two groups of people that are disgusted with the KEYone and those that love it. Typical fun filled day at CB. It's why I love these forums so much, the division that BlackBerry creates for us.

Most of the arguments against the KEYone are based around the fact that the specs are under-powered for a price too high. Based on these issues, cheaper, more powerful phones will kill it and BlackBerry can't gain traction with such an expensive device.

First, how can anyone say that cheaper phones with better specs will kill the KEYone? KEYone was DOA. But you guys are not understanding that absolutely nothing can compare to the KEYone, nothing. I don't care if the thing's got a 85635055+ processor and still costs 100 dollars, it's still not going to compare to it. You know why? It has a flippin' keyboard.

Someone that wants a keyboarded device is not going to say,' hey, I should just buy a OnePlus or Moto whatever, it's much better value for the money'. If you want a keyboarded device you're going to get one. There is absolutely no other option. You're not going to care about the price, you're going to care about the product.

Second, does anyone honestly believe that BlackBerry Mobile's savior is going to be a PKB? Heck no. The writing's on the wall, there are not many people who want a PKB anymore. How would a product no one wants save a company? The KEYone is not intended to save the company, it was to keep it relevant and I think it will do just that.

BBMo is well aware that it won't sell many KEYone devices because the majority of people do not want PKBs anymore. So what do you do to turn a profit and still cut a slice of the PKB niche? Raise the price and keep the specs low. They're going to make a killing on the sales that they do make for those that just have to have a keyboard. You're also going to learn about your new niche market.

It's like another post here comparing it to a BMW. There are so many other cars that are better, cheaper, or more powerful than say a BMW 1 series. For what it is, it is way overpriced. It has an under-powered, small engine, it's cramped, and kinda ugly. But if you want to have those beautiful breaks, the brand, the rear wheel drive, and adaptive suspension, you'll buy it because you care about the drive more than anything else.

The phone will be just fine, it will get you where you need to go. Will it get you there in record time? No. Will it last you for 4 years? Probably not.

But what you need to all understand is that what you're paying for isn't the internals or hardware, but what the phone stands for.
    You're totally wrong this device is earmarked to enterprise, business people looking to be more productive. The KEYone should be popular with the 40+ age business people who remember how much more productive they were with a PKB, with BlackBerry securing Android it gives companies who value security an option to BB10 and iOS.
    02-26-17 09:44 AM
    K1. I like that nickname.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 09:45 AM

I'm really hoping that the KEYone will bring others back that once loved the keyboard. This is a job for marketing for sure. I kinda hope the higher price helps get the message out that BlackBerry is back. However, I seriously doubt the K1will create new keyboard users.

Unless the kids are hipsters or something, there is no way the younger generation will wanna get into it. When kids need to type something on my Q10, 70% of them hand it back to me saying that they can't type with it and 95% ask how to make capital letters. The only thing they find fascinating is the keyboard shortcuts.
    bcbbanga4l likes this.
    02-26-17 09:46 AM
    Thanks OP! I'm excited.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 09:47 AM
    K1. I like that nickname.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks
    02-26-17 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Should point out that the radio in my avatar is a elecraft kx1 , so I was close to the name without even realising it :-)
    02-26-17 09:51 AM
152 123 ...