Believe it or not it, the delay may even work for BlackBerry. With some movement developing for KeyOne, from fans calling their carriers for availability, from UK launch and also from positive reviews, the Telcos will start looking into it.

End of May would also mean, Galaxy S8 release would had cooled off.

We all know there was no way BlackBerry could compete with Galaxy S8's release and releasing KeyOne with it would be a disaster. This is calculated if you ask me. If it gets positive responses from the reviewers, then people will try out the device at least on the display based on their favourite reviewer.

I have a feeling this is well calculated play by BlackBerry and TCL to get the most from the market. The real fans who want it will still get it, regardless how we cry, it's all about getting the most out of the campaign. They will have only one go at it.
    04-29-17 09:16 PM
    Believe it or not it, the delay may even work for BlackBerry. With some movement developing for KeyOne, from fans calling their carriers for availability, from UK launch and also from positive reviews, the Telcos will start looking into it.

End of May would also mean, Galaxy S8 release would had cooled off.

We all know there was no way BlackBerry could compete with Galaxy S8's release and releasing KeyOne with it would be a disaster. This is calculated if you ask me. If it gets positive responses from the reviewers, then people will try out the device at least on the display based on their favourite reviewer.

I have a feeling this is well calculated play by BlackBerry and TCL to get the most from the market. The real fans who want it will still get it, regardless how we cry, it's all about getting the most out of the campaign. They will have only one go at it.
    I doubt it, when the priv came on, I went to look at it. It never caught my attention cause of the small k-board.
    Which was good for me as it turned out that it was not good enough and overpriced.
    Skidoo583 likes this.
    04-29-17 09:22 PM
    I can certainly see your reasoning. Sounds almost plausible. It's just hard to give them that much credit for being that conniving, but possibly so.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-29-17 09:23 PM
    I doubt it, when the priv came on, I went to look at it. It never caught my attention cause of the small k-board.
    Which was good for me as it turned out that it was not good enough and overpriced.
    Honestly we didn't even had a display unit but anyone who tried it tested if it became hot. Priv didn't start well from first review.

KeyOne, BlackBerry spent quite a bit of time and even got initial feedback from the mainstream. They wanted to make a good device instead of well attempted. Besides that was their first Android device.

Now they have tested what TCL can deliver, they're ensuring what would be the best time to release it.
    04-29-17 09:29 PM
    Still not convinced about that keyone.
    Spent to much on BB to feel comfy with the new phone.
    If it doesn't sell, what then?
    Another BB to be let down?
    04-29-17 09:37 PM
    The thing is, every year people save up money for a new phone. Especially around this time of the year right after tax season, many people use their tax refund money to upgrade. Releasing KEYone alongside S8 wouldn't hurt them, but rather boost their sales for those who would be looking for an immediate alternative. Let's just hope OP's theory is the case instead.

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    04-29-17 09:44 PM
    The thing is, every year people save up money for a new phone. Especially around this time of the year right after tax season, many people use their tax refund money to upgrade. Releasing KEYone alongside S8 wouldn't hurt them, but rather boost their sales for those who would be looking for an immediate alternative. Let's just hope OP's theory is the case instead.

You're right but I believe their best chance would be to announce the device release date before S8 is out and let the people who got that saved up cash or plan to think about it.

Yes these are all theories at this stage. Only the time will tell.
    04-29-17 10:23 PM
    Still not convinced about that keyone.
    Spent to much on BB to feel comfy with the new phone.
    If it doesn't sell, what then?
    Another BB to be let down?
    It depends on what you're after. I personally want a physical keyboard. There's nobody that offers it.
    We can just hope it sells half decent to keep us satisfied.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    04-30-17 12:10 AM
    Honestly we didn't even had a display unit but anyone who tried it tested if it became hot. Priv didn't start well from first review.

KeyOne, BlackBerry spent quite a bit of time and even got initial feedback from the mainstream. They wanted to make a good device instead of well attempted. Besides that was their first Android device.

Now they have tested what TCL can deliver, they're ensuring what would be the best time to release it.
    Because Priv was designed for BB10 and at 11th hour BlackBerry put android in it!
    04-30-17 03:01 AM
    Before Priv I was using Passport and I am 6'1", never felt any problem with Priv keyboard
    FF22 likes this.
    04-30-17 03:03 AM
    I agree. I was excited about the Priv, but I waited a week or two and then it came out through AT&T, which meant I could go to the AT&T store and check one out.

I was not happy with the kb--too small, like you said. I forget which classic format BB7 model I used through the end of 2012 (glass trackpad plus touch screen, and I remember wishing I could just turn the dang touch screen function off), but that was my bar for a PKB--and the Priv didn't meet it.

I'm afraid the K1 will also not meet my bar, as the goal is no doubt to prioritize screen size and the PKB will always suffer. We'll see.
    04-30-17 07:02 AM

If people are looking at the S8 they are not buying the KEYone. That bus has left the depot. KEYone is a niche product for a niche market which is less than 1%.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 07:09 AM
    If people are looking at the S8 they are not buying the KEYone. That bus has left the depot. KEYone is a niche product for a niche market which is less than 1%.

Posted via CB10
    Actually there are a lot of people who haven't decided as S8 is quite expensive. Besides all these slab phones offer pretty much similar experience.

My wife has S7 Edge and can upgrade thanks to offers from Telco but she isn't interested. Then there are a few who have returned or sold their S8 or G6, since those are quite big devices for many.

The foot print of KeyOne may still work for people with smaller and larger hands.

Either ways, I don't think BlackBerry releasing their most anticipated phone in recent times together with the biggest launched phones.
    04-30-17 08:00 AM
    Wistful thinking. Delusional thinking. Chen and Cistulli themselves said there were production issues, and I bet there were software issues too.

Nothing BlackBerry does is calculated or smart. They launched the Priv with a press release.
    qwerty4ever, Flatman and stlabrat like this.
    04-30-17 12:08 PM
    I'm constantly fascinated by the posters that somehow seem to have some inside knowledge or source that would suggest that they know more than those that actually WORK in the industry .
    Please stop wasting such talent on a public forum.

(I ,for one, believe everything everyone says. On the other hand, I'm an equal opportunity discriminator when the opportunity shows itself)
    TGIS likes this.
    04-30-17 05:03 PM
    I'm constantly fascinated by the posters that somehow seem to have some inside knowledge or source that would suggest that they know more than those that actually WORK in the industry .
    Please stop wasting such talent on a public forum.

(I ,for one, believe everything everyone says. On the other hand, I'm an equal opportunity discriminator when the opportunity shows itself)
    Most is opinion, conjecture, best guess, wishful thinking, etc, etc. I enjoy it myself. One or two of them is right on the money! There are only so many scenarios and someone is right. In time, we will know.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    04-30-17 06:44 PM
    Because Priv was designed for BB10 and at 11th hour BlackBerry put android in it!
    Unlikely.
    05-01-17 05:55 AM
    I agree. I was excited about the Priv, but I waited a week or two and then it came out through AT&T, which meant I could go to the AT&T store and check one out.

I was not happy with the kb--too small, like you said. I forget which classic format BB7 model I used through the end of 2012 (glass trackpad plus touch screen, and I remember wishing I could just turn the dang touch screen function off), but that was my bar for a PKB--and the Priv didn't meet it.

I'm afraid the K1 will also not meet my bar, as the goal is no doubt to prioritize screen size and the PKB will always suffer. We'll see.
    It always strikes me how many PKB lovers... are so picky about the PKB phone they want. In a perfect world, maybe TCL could put out a CURVE sized keyboard, and BOLD sized Keyboard and a Passport sized, along with a new Slider. Alll with Flagship, Mid grade and Value hardware.

Simple hard fact is keyboards just don't sell well..... one size fits all is in my mind, better than no choice at all. But then I don't see the point in keeping the PKB form factor alive anyway.
    05-01-17 07:46 AM
    It always strikes me how many PKB lovers... are so picky about the PKB phone they want. In a perfect world, maybe TCL could put out a CURVE sized keyboard, and BOLD sized Keyboard and a Passport sized, along with a new Slider. Alll with Flagship, Mid grade and Value hardware.

Simple hard fact is keyboards just don't sell well..... one size fits all is in my mind, better than no choice at all. But then I don't see the point in keeping the PKB form factor alive anyway.
    I think that many have forgotten how to type on PKB after getting used to typing on glass or being spoiled with the Passport keyboard. There's a technique for it and there was a time BlackBerry Thumb was a syndrome.

Posted from my  Passport
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-01-17 10:16 AM
    And of course, people who have forgotten--or who have never typed on a PKB--can learn with the K1, just like everyone had to learn with a slabphone.
    05-01-17 11:38 AM
    I agree, not to be off topic but that's like Nintendo releasing the switch along with the new Xbox and Playstation that wouldn't be a great idea lol
    05-01-17 12:00 PM
    Citation please!

What does trusted member mean?
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 05-02-17 at 09:01 PM.
    05-02-17 09:28 AM
    Citation please!

What does trusted member mean?
    Trusted Member are those of us who have been around awhile that seem to be ones who are helpful. Crackberry has asked us to help out with some things and if we agreed to be a positive influence we have been given that moniker.
    05-02-17 09:44 AM
    Trusted Member are those of us who have been around awhile that seem to be ones who are helpful. Crackberry has asked us to help out with some things and if we agreed to be a positive influence we have been given that moniker.
    Cool so unsubstantiated claims are fine then, got it.
    05-02-17 09:47 AM
    Just adding to the rumor mill and stoking the conjecture conversation along with the Nougat child-like rants of "I want it now". Isn't that the epitome of being helpful?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-02-17 10:03 AM
43 12