As basically the only expected competition in 2017, is the Moto Z keyboard mod from indiegogo something to fear for KEYone sales?https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...mod-for-moto-z
    Edit: sorry missed a word in the title.
    Is the KEYone Competitor the Moto Z keyboard mod viable? Mods please help rectify.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    03-04-17 10:47 AM
    As a Z Force owner, while extremely excited about the KEYone, having lost interest in PKB since the Z10 release, I have zero desire for a landscape slider mod.

I doubt this will be any real competition at all.
    03-04-17 11:04 AM
    I think a portrait slider would definitely be a better idea at 5.5". It will be quite hard to reach the buttons in the middle. Having gotten used to Priv, even my old HTC Desire Z with only a 3.7" screen is far less comfortable to type on because of how wide the keyboard is.

But who knows, maybe I could get used to it. People with very large hands would probably prefer the size of this keyboard compared to Priv's or KEYone's.

Btw, you'd have to slide the keyboard open in order to use the camera with that mod. Definitely not as nice a solution as real PKB phones, but if BB doesn't make a new slider in the next year or two when I decide it's time to replace my Priv and Moto Mods and that keyboard or something similar continues to be an option, I might think about it.
    03-04-17 11:17 AM
    Not quite, landscape sliders appeal to a different base. I know there are those on XDA who are crazy for one.

I could see advantages if you use them like mini laptops and for remote desktop, but for day to day messaging and communication, a portrait is better.
    03-04-17 11:18 AM
    I don't see reach being a problem. The camera is a huge problem! Also, you eliminate the split-screen as useful (nm, I'd never even looked at split-screen in landscape, LoL), and any app that doesn't offer a landscape view. Interesting concept, but I'd be surprised if it even attains it's funding goal.
    03-04-17 11:24 AM
    I don't see reach being a problem. The camera is a huge problem! Also, you eliminate the split-screen as useful, and any app that doesn't offer a landscape view. Interesting concept, but I'd be surprised if it even attains it's funding goal.
    Same thing could be said if BlackBerry Mobile ever decides to do an Android Passport... it'll primarily run in landscape since you can't have square screens.

Is the KEYone Competitor the Moto Z keyboard mod viable?-keyonew.png
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-04-17 11:36 AM
    I wish my Priv was a landscape slider . It would be perfect then.

When I go to the pkb, I want a mini computer....... Not a phone. I've already made that decision.

The Priv kb is good, but a full landscape kb would have made it perfection.
    03-04-17 11:37 AM
    If a 1:1 ratio was possible in Android, the passport for Android would exist. BlackBerry when it originally developed the device wanted it to run android.

Que' Sara, Sara.
    03-04-17 11:39 AM
    Same thing could be said if BlackBerry Mobile ever decides to do an Android Passport... it'll primarily run in landscape since you can't have square screens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KeyOneW.png 
Views:	345 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	418594
    No mention of capacitive either, which is a huge plus to the BlackBerry PKB.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    03-04-17 11:43 AM
    I don't see reach being a problem. The camera is a huge problem! Also, you eliminate the split-screen as useful (nm, I'd never even looked at split-screen in landscape, LoL), and any app that doesn't offer a landscape view. Interesting concept, but I'd be surprised if it even attains it's funding goal.
    I'm just saying... I have the Desire Z in my drawer and typing on Priv's smaller keyboard is way more comfortable to me. If I'd have a choice between a portrait and a landscape slider, I'd choose portrait any time.

True about apps that don't have a landscape view. I forgot those even exist as I rarely do anything in landscape except for watching video and the occasional game.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-04-17 11:45 AM
    I don't really see that being much competition. I think people who are looking for a PKB device are going to get the dedicated keyboard like the KEYone. I mean, there may still be a market for the slider keyboard like that but I doubt that's going to be a big seller for the majority of people.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-04-17 11:45 AM
    I'm just saying... I have the Desire Z in my drawer and typing on Priv's smaller keyboard is way more comfortable to me. If I'd have a choice between a portrait and a landscape slider, I'd choose portrait any time.

True about apps that don't have a landscape view. I forgot those even exist as I rarely do anything in landscape except for watching video and the occasional game.
    I do like to view many things in landscape, but like you, don't like typing in it.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    03-04-17 11:47 AM
    If BlackBerry wasn't around I'd definitely get a Moto Z just for this mod. I used to have a DROID 4. It got terribly leggy but the keyboard was great.
    03-04-17 12:22 PM
    If BlackBerry wasn't around I'd definitely get a Moto Z just for this mod. I used to have a DROID 4. It got terribly leggy but the keyboard was great.
    My Z Force is fantastic, but I can't wait for my KEYone!
    03-04-17 01:27 PM
    I'm really excited to at least have options!

2017 is the year that we will at least have 3 keyboard phone options! (Priv, KEYone, Moto Z Keyboard mod). Going from 0 choices to 1 choice to 3 is quite awesome! Hopefully the KEYone and Moto Z Keyboard mod will both sell well so it shows phone manufacturer's everywhere that keyboard are still in demand and that there are more than a dozen of us left.

I really like the idea of the landscape slider since that's what I'm using now (phone is slow as heck: Samsung Stratosphere II), but I also really like Blackberry keyboards from days of yore.

The nice thing about the Moto Z mod keyboard is that it seems like it will be compatible with all future Moto Z phones and Lenovo seems to be backing the Moto Z heaviliy and wants to keep it alive for a long time. So when a new one is released this year or next year, you can just pop the keyboard on it and you have a new phone. The biggest issue is we have no idea about the quality of the keyboard and also the fact that it's a landscape slider not portrait so not operable with one hand. If they keep the planned battery expansion in the mod, this will be an additional benefit though.

The KEYone has had great reviews on the keyboard and the device is plenty fast enough and I prefer battery life over power anyways. But there is no possibility of upgrading the KEYone in the future unless they come out with a KEYtwo! And if they never come out with a KEYtwo then, I'll have to switch to another type of keyboard phone anyways eventually.

Also, cost. Right now, I could get a Moto Z Play (practically same specs as KEYone) on Verizon for $10 a month for 2 years ($240). Plus the currently $60 keyboard mod. So $300. The KEYone is MSRP $549 and don't know what deals carriers will provide.

I'm in a dilemma, but the fact that I even have a dilemma about the KEYBOARD phone I want to purchase in 2017 is an amazing feat in of itself. Hopefully this Indiegogo campaign will succeed and they'll have KEYone demos in store to try out to help me make a decision haha!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-07-17 01:48 AM
    @KeyboardCaptain:
    There's also the option of Samsung Galaxy phones with their keyboard addon, so at least 4 options. It's available for S6 and S7 (maybe S5 as well?). If there wasn't for Priv, I would probably have purchased that last year. It's probably not in the same league as Priv or KEYone, but if you're considering this Moto Z mod, you might think about this option as well.
    Is the KEYone Competitor the Moto Z keyboard mod viable?-pdpgallery-ej-cg935ubegus-600x600-c4-052016.jpg

Btw, if KEYone's price is a concern, you can also get the Priv cheap nowadays.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-07-17 02:07 AM
    @Mirko935

Thanks! That's true. 4 choices! I actually remember actually looking into that keyboard add-on for the S7 but the reviews were not too good so I passed it by. Maybe I'll go back and take a look at it.

More choices is better than 0 choices haha!
    Mirko935 likes this.
    03-07-17 02:37 PM
    @Mirko935

I used to have S7edge combination with their keyboard cover.
    I gave up on it. Keys are hard in my opinion. Switched to PRIV and very happy with the keyboard so far.

Processor speed and camera are different story though
    Mirko935 likes this.
    03-07-17 03:03 PM
    Certainly shows there's interest. That's a good thing!

#ChicagoMeetup
    03-07-17 08:06 PM
    Since the KEYone is almost the same size as the Moto Z I wish there was a KEYone with moto mod capability. That device would be my dream. Mods are an elegant approach to customization that makes almost anything possible if you choose to build it.
    03-13-17 04:55 PM
    Hope they devote some upfront money to clearing patents before deciding on a final design. It's unlikely Moto will try and enforce its keyboard patents on a device for its own products but BB may be a different story.
    03-13-17 05:16 PM
    I think a lot of people prefer landscape keyboards and more screen real estate. I also believe that the Moto Z has more press and popularity, mostly because it's been out longer. So I do believe it can put a dent in the already poor expected sales of the KEYone.

Personally, I'm not sure why anyone would prefer a landscape keyboard. I guess the only plus would be having more width than height. The reason portrait works so well is because the keyboard is smaller and much more efficient when you're typing with thumbs. Typing on a 5.5" wide keyboard would be exhausting with so much hand movement and reaching. And you could forget about one handed use. If I wanted a landscape keyboard with my phone, I would just bring around a folding bluetooth keyboard.
    03-13-17 06:25 PM
    That worked out well. The keyboard Moto Mod for the Moto Z is dead - https://www.androidcentral.com/keybo...od-moto-z-dead
    09-13-18 02:45 PM
    That worked out well. The keyboard Moto Mod for the Moto Z is dead - https://www.androidcentral.com/keybo...od-moto-z-dead
    Between Typo project getting sued by Chen, Samsung discontinuing their keyboard covers, and now this... Looks like BBMo is the last hope at having buttons to press.

Either way, BBMo's devices bring a much better integrated experience than all those add-ons.
    09-13-18 03:14 PM