I used Blackberry devices exclusively from 2003-2012/13 and "grew up" with them in my business career

Then from 2013 like a lot of you I guess apps on BB10 were becoming an issue and I jumped to the dark side of Apple for my primary device .

I have however bought every Blackberry device since as a second phone but none have stuck with me

Now I want to really try the keyone and would love to make it my daily driver as it clearly has every app but two things hit me .
    Firstly I downloaded a type test app and easily reached my word per minute I used to hit on the classic and bold in the past on my IPhone.
    Secondly noticed Apple have brought me deep within their ecosystem not just the Mac and watch but even stock apps like notes (I use it to draft emails and write out idea) and reminders (Siri helps)

Anybody else in the same boat wanting to go full Blackberry-Android-Keyone and away from Apple but worried about the leap and thinking does the physical keyboard really boast productively like I thought it did until I Did a word per minute Test ?
    drcharlton and tbou37 like this.
    04-01-17 07:32 AM
    I think the one distinct difference is screen real estate when composing. Typing speed records have been held on VKB for a long time. Typing pleasure is a personal choice. Those who love a PKB, enjoy the feel.

If you are steeped in the iOS ecosystem, it's tough to overcome. Since you've purchased every other BlackBerry, you might as well try a KEYone.
    Pez1983, FF22 and skinnymike1 like this.
    04-01-17 07:54 AM
    Im going to give my full honest opinion. Dont do it, unless the k1 will be a secondary device for work or other.

Ios ecosystem is ages ahead, and second there are far better android devices out there for primary phones look at the tech s8 has with deals at bestbuy its a given. As for typing speeds, displays have come so far that im quicker on the iphone than the classic.

I say wait for the price feel - if its as much as claimed in EU at $700 +\- wait till it drops to 300ish which it will shortly. Keyboard aside...the tech and components of the k1 are equal to $200 devices sold by competitors.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    04-01-17 08:15 AM
    I switched all my notes to Google Keep.
    04-01-17 09:20 AM
    I used Blackberry devices exclusively from 2003-2012/13 and "grew up" with them in my business career

Then from 2013 like a lot of you I guess apps on BB10 were becoming an issue and I jumped to the dark side of Apple for my primary device .

I have however bought every Blackberry device since as a second phone but none have stuck with me

Now I want to really try the keyone and would love to make it my daily driver as it clearly has every app but two things hit me .
    Firstly I downloaded a type test app and easily reached my word per minute I used to hit on the classic and bold in the past on my IPhone.
    Secondly noticed Apple have brought me deep within their ecosystem not just the Mac and watch but even stock apps like notes (I use it to draft emails and write out idea) and reminders (Siri helps)

Anybody else in the same boat wanting to go full Blackberry-Android-Keyone and away from Apple but worried about the leap and thinking does the physical keyboard really boast productively like I thought it did until I Did a word per minute Test ?
    Don't do it unless you're​ having free time and want a challenge. Or just like advised​ in another comment to make this your second device. It will be a great mail driver.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    04-01-17 09:37 AM
    Im going to give my full honest opinion. Dont do it, unless the k1 will be a secondary device for work or other.

Ios ecosystem is ages ahead, and second there are far better android devices out there for primary phones look at the tech s8 has with deals at bestbuy its a given. As for typing speeds, displays have come so far that im quicker on the iphone than the classic.

I say wait for the price feel - if its as much as claimed in EU at $700 +\- wait till it drops to 300ish which it will shortly. Keyboard aside...the tech and components of the k1 are equal to $200 devices sold by competitors.
    Which competitor sells an all metal phone with 3500mah battery, 625 soc, top of the line camera, even without the keyboard, for 200$ new?????
    04-01-17 10:13 AM
    Your biggest issue to overcome is going to be getting away from the IOS ecosystem. There is a reason Apple does this across your phone, contacts, computers (apple), apple TV and it's to keep you as a customer on the iPhone.

If you did give it a try and gave it time to see if you could make the migration and get used to the device (2-3 weeks) I feel you would love the PKB. You like writing out notes and email drafts on your iPhone, once you get used to the PKB you will remember why you loved BlackBerry so much. I know a lot of people say they are just as quick on the VKB and that may be so but not with the confidence of not having to double and triple check for typos or auto correction you didn't want to happen.

Would be cool to hear you report back if you decide to make the jump.

Cheers
    04-01-17 10:30 AM
    Which competitor sells an all metal phone with 3500mah battery, 625 soc, top of the line camera, even without the keyboard, for 200$ new?????
    Moto g5 plus. Its 184.99 on amazon. Minus the 500mah less. Metal and a bigger battery does not cost an extra 400usd.
    04-01-17 10:46 AM
    Until the OP has a KEYone and can try the typing test on it, you cannot be 100% sure.

But, if it was me, I feel that I could type better on the keyboard. Speed is not the only factor. Accuracy is very important to me.
    Pez1983 and FF22 like this.
    04-01-17 10:58 AM
    Moto g5 plus. Its 184.99 on amazon. Minus the 500mah less. Metal and a bigger battery does not cost an extra 400usd.
    That's a great price! But it's the 2gb ram version. I don't want to imagine how performance will be on that little memory.
    The 4gb version is 240$ which is also a good price though. Regular price is 300$ though, this is an amazon prime discount.

But a few things that can explain the price difference would be gorilla glass 4 vs 3, the camera sensor being the same as the pixel, the front camera is different too, more advanced lte on the keyone (cat 9 vs 6), USB C 3.1 vs micro usb, the bigger battery and of course the keyboard with capacitive touch

Individually those might not all be worth the extra 300$, but put together into a premium device they do have some value. There's also the BlackBerry android software but that's more of a preference.

BTW I used this page to compare the two devices. http://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i...&idPhone2=8453
    04-01-17 10:59 AM
    That's a great price! But it's the 2gb ram version. I don't want to imagine how performance will be on that little memory.
    The 4gb version is 240$ which is also a good price though. Regular price is 300$ though, this is an amazon prime discount.

But a few things that can explain the price difference would be gorilla glass 4 vs 3, the camera sensor being the same as the pixel, the front camera is different too, more advanced lte on the keyone (cat 9 vs 6), USB C 3.1 vs micro usb, the bigger battery and of course the keyboard with capacitive touch

Individually those might not all be worth the extra 300$, but put together into a premium device they do have some value. There's also the BlackBerry android software but that's more of a preference.

BTW I used this page to compare the two devices. BlackBerry Keyone vs. Motorola Moto G5 Plus - GSMArena.com
    I did the same comparison. Wild guess is cost is reflected on volume and suppliers. G5 isnt that far off though.

Even the s7 edge is selling now for 449. That is also an impressive phone. There are others like sony with great updated specs at the 400-450 mark. Such a competitive market now though.
    04-01-17 11:27 AM
    BlackBerry KEYone vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium - Phone specs comparison

Also annnounced in barcelona. Expected at 600 euro range. And it has 3x the specs. So its tricky when considering keyone.
    04-01-17 11:32 AM
    Yep its definitely super competitive, that's why most crackberry users at the time were saying how ridiculous it is that BlackBerry was moving onto android.

But for a full touch device I think the DTEK60 is one of the best priced higher end devices. The keyone is just a bit of a weird mid - high end device with a reality fancy keyboard, and it's not really in the market to compete with those phones.
    Now I'm in Canada, and seeing that 700$ price tag is not goin to be pleasant for me... I'll have to wait for a price drop for sure.
    04-01-17 11:32 AM

I returned my 7+ in anticipation for the "April" release of the KEYone. I also could not get used to the home button on the 7+, although I am also a bit concerned about the keyboard size on the K1.
    Now that the K1 won't release until SOMETIME in May, I may revisit the 7.
    Ecosystem lock, dependability, & ubiquity of Apple stores (if device ever needs service) make for a compelling argument.

Posted via CB10
    bluesqueen23 and smoothgeek like this.
    04-01-17 11:36 AM
    I have used both ecosystems and always end up with android or b blackberry. This post is being typed on my classic waiting for the keyone launch.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 12:02 PM

Ios ecosystem is ages ahead.
    How so?
    04-01-17 12:24 PM
    How so?
    I think he meant if you are in Apple's ecosystem with computers, iPads, etc its all tied together. I think that's what he meant.
    04-01-17 01:08 PM
    Thanks all for the advise and comments . Roll on May
    d6821 and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-01-17 02:00 PM
    Thanks all for the advise and comments . Roll on May
    It's worth trying the device out when it becomes available. As Apple and Android compete they have fairly complementary 'hooks' into the ecosystem. Google has powerful Web and native apps for notes, photo and storage and more that are built to be cross platform. They work great on Mac.

Another thing to consider is that the KEYone has a smart keyboard with gestures and shortcuts to amplify the productivity experience beyond just typing. Fine cursor control is a big win +++ !
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-01-17 03:02 PM
    Oh yes, the integration of desktop, tablets and phones...i started using macos for work and switching from desktop to laptop is seamless - very stable and its been years since ive had complaints.
    04-01-17 03:04 PM
    Moto g5 plus. Its 184.99 on amazon.
    Not without a link it's not.
    04-01-17 03:08 PM
    Attached
    Attached Thumbnails Iphone 7 plus to KeyOne BUT can I Really make the jump-img_2037.jpg  
    04-01-17 04:01 PM
    I primarily want the short cuts and accurate typing.

For instance, these forums are a pain in the *** to refresh, give me an 'R' or T or B top or bottom.

That's why I am going back to pkb
    04-01-17 06:02 PM
    Typing speed ist just a minor reason for wanting a PKB, imho.
    When I'm sitting on a chair, I can type ok-ish, and with decent speed, on a slab.
    When I'm walking, riding a bus or tram, even when standing or lying in bed, slab typing is challenging for me. It's not a satisfying experience, makes me nervous, and the output sometimes is ridiculous due to typos and autocorrect. I find myself more and more not responding/messaging instantly, but waiting to be back home or in the office and sitting down, before I type.
    Being able to type (almost) everywhere, in (almost) every position and situation, with always constant speed and output quality, this is the major advantage of a PKB over a slab.
    04-02-17 07:25 AM

Stop with the specs. You are comparing apples to oranges. There is so much more to the KEYone than the processor and ram. It's like comparing an Acura to a Honda. They may have the same drive train but the are completely different vehicles or phones in this case.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 08:14 AM
39 12