If the above happens, do you think BlackBerry will come back and make more new BlackBerry devices--at least in cooperation with other companies? Or do you think they'd actually one day bite the bullet and make their own again?

I find it funny as hell, if it is.
    04-30-17 08:06 AM
    regarding ur first question yes obviously thats what they are doing right now.. ur second question no chance in hell

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 08:13 AM
    Maybe it will follow nintendo in its trail and we ended up in the best sold device in years.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 08:30 AM
    It won't sell a lot. But it may sell decently. Not massively.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 09:57 AM
    If it sells well, TCL will make more PKB phones. I'd be very happy with that outcome.

There is no way Chen will convince Watsa and the board to get back into making their own phones again. It took a lot of work to get out of that business and investors are only now finally seeing the results of that. Share price is steadily moving up after a very long time.
    newcollector likes this.
    04-30-17 10:27 AM
    It can't sell well if they don't make it available.

For f's sake, it's not even going to hit US carriers until "sometime this summer".

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-30-17 10:37 AM
    Yeah. For some reason, marketing is still a hurdle it'd seem. Which is odd, really. I mean, it's no longer in BlackBerry's hands, right? TCL is doing their own selling?

Posted via CB10
    04-30-17 11:20 AM
    Yeah. For some reason, marketing is still a hurdle it'd seem. Which is odd, really. I mean, it's no longer in BlackBerry's hands, right? TCL is doing their own selling?

Posted via CB10
    Marketing ROI was awful in the BB10 era, so it's no surprise that no one at BlackBerry or TCL wants to dump money in to a big KEYone marketing campaign. They know their diehards don't need to be marketed to, and the general public? They might convert a few thousand... but enough to justify an expensive marketing campaign? Not likely.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-30-17 11:34 AM
    Marketing ROI was awful in the BB10 era, so it's no surprise that no one at BlackBerry or TCL wants to dump money in to a big KEYone marketing campaign. They know their diehards don't need to be marketed to, and the general public? They might convert a few thousand... but enough to justify an expensive marketing campaign? Not likely.
    Lol. Catch 22 there, yeah?

In any case, I don't think BlackBerry has the money, anyway. They've got their own plans going. So it'd be up to TCL. It doesn't have to be big, actually, since crackberry is really the one doing the heavy lifting, advertising it every chance they got. They just gotta do the distribution properly. With operators as well.

They knew all these stuff, already, right?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 04-30-17 at 12:34 PM.
    04-30-17 11:44 AM
    IF they sell 5 million units you are likely to see a "KeyTwo". Big IF
    04-30-17 02:55 PM
    IF they sell 5 million units you are likely to see a "KeyTwo". Big IF
    Even if they don't sell many units I think they still need to release a Key2. There needs to be some type of continuity with blackberry, they need to stop releasing phones at random. Release a new Key phone around the same time every year for at least three years and take it from there, it's hard to improve on a product when the company itself kills the model at arrival.
    Henraay0623 likes this.
    04-30-17 03:40 PM
    They'd have to regain a significant amount of market share before they'd even consider making new BlackBerry devices. So that would take time, and therefore that onus would be on more future devices and not just the KEYone. Hopefully it's successful, but I don't see BlackBerry making new devices in the future.
    04-30-17 03:46 PM
    Advertising via social media is relatively inexpensive and a few premium placements in say This Week in Tech (twit) and short feature videos on Facebook on a market-by-market basis a week before availability. Maybe offer one free BlackBerry KEYone per country delivered on May 18th, pre-order day, since it is unlikely consumers will get it until at least June.
    04-30-17 03:56 PM
    I think it will only sell to the faithful here in the USA where the brand has all been forgotten about.

I still think waiting until the end of May is a mistake and most folks will end up with an S8. They should have made it May 5, but marketing and getting a product to the market on time is not one of their strong points based on the past.

I am still going to buy one because I like the reviews and Kevin's podcast have me hyped up about the Keyone. Some of the folks I know who where going to buy one have bought an S8 because they are not happy about the end of May launch.

Hopefully the device takes off and does good not only in the consumer sector, but the enterprise one as well, now it's wait and see.

I am still waiting for that email from Blackberry telling me the Keyone is available for preorder at least, so far I haven't received a thing.
    RezzaBuh likes this.
    04-30-17 04:30 PM
    Advertising via social media is relatively inexpensive and a few premium placements in say This Week in Tech (twit) and short feature videos on Facebook on a market-by-market basis a week before availability. Maybe offer one free BlackBerry KEYone per country delivered on May 18th, pre-order day, since it is unlikely consumers will get it until at least June.
    They already have good momentum on social media. Reviews have hit all the big tech YouTubers. The BlackBerry Instagram has put up a lot of great shots.

The problem is, it all amounts to very little in the grand scheme of things. None of their content is widely consumed beyond the BlackBerry faithful and avid techie community. And I don't think any paid placements will change that.
    04-30-17 04:43 PM
    I hope its "a lot" and not alot.

edit: I see you corrected it.
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 05-01-17 at 11:03 AM.
    04-30-17 05:04 PM
    I think it will only sell to the faithful here in the USA where the brand has all been forgotten about.

I still think waiting until the end of May is a mistake and most folks will end up with an S8. They should have made it May 5, but marketing and getting a product to the market on time is not one of their strong points based on the past.

I am still going to buy one because I like the reviews and Kevin's podcast have me hyped up about the Keyone. Some of the folks I know who where going to buy one have bought an S8 because they are not happy about the end of May launch.

Hopefully the device takes off and does good not only in the consumer sector, but the enterprise one as well, now it's wait and see.

I am still waiting for that email from Blackberry telling me the Keyone is available for preorder at least, so far I haven't received a thing.
    If you think end of May is a mistake, how about late summer for the carriers?
    04-30-17 05:20 PM
    If you think end of May is a mistake, how about late summer for the carriers?
    So far the only US carrier I heard mentioned was Sprint, I am T Mobile customer and I haven't heard if they where going to carry the Keyone.
    04-30-17 05:23 PM
    It can't sell well if they don't make it available.

For f's sake, it's not even going to hit US carriers until "sometime this summer".

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but you have to see it the other way around too: they didn't make it available cause they know that it wouldn't sell.
    04-30-17 05:53 PM
    So far the only US carrier I heard mentioned was Sprint, I am T Mobile customer and I haven't heard if they where going to carry the Keyone.
    This month will give U.S. carriers some time to see how well it is selling over seas. If hype builds up over there, that can very well translate to a demand increase in the U.S.. If it's not selling well and they do not see high demand from their customers, then U.S. carriers may choose to skip the device all together. I guess Sprint will be a good gage for others to follow also.
    04-30-17 06:01 PM
    If the above happens, do you think BlackBerry will come back and make more new BlackBerry devices--at least in cooperation with other companies? Or do you think they'd actually one day bite the bullet and make their own again?

I find it funny as hell, if it is.
    Still interested to see what these next 2 phones are like. TCL has said BlackBerry Mobile partnership will produce and sell 3 phones in 2017. If that's true, I have no idea where they go from a VKB versus PKB. The KEYone kind of rounds out everything. The DTEK50, DTEK60, KEYone...what more do they do?

Imagine this. An updated model of PRIV...or just a new Slider. And then...I know nearly impossible but a PKB device more closely related to the Passport. I know, I know...the Android issues, but one could hope. I just don't see how they make a low budget PKB or another all touch right now.
    04-30-17 06:19 PM
    Still interested to see what these next 2 phones are like. TCL has said BlackBerry Mobile partnership will produce and sell 3 phones in 2017. If that's true, I have no idea where they go from a VKB versus PKB. The KEYone kind of rounds out everything. The DTEK50, DTEK60, KEYone...what more do they do?

Imagine this. An updated model of PRIV...or just a new Slider. And then...I know nearly impossible but a PKB device more closely related to the Passport. I know, I know...the Android issues, but one could hope. I just don't see how they make a low budget PKB or another all touch right now.
    04-30-17 06:20 PM
    BlackBerry is on apple path of business, BlackBerry will continue software development and phone will be made TCL or any other manufacturers

Posted by Passport SE killed by Whatsppp
    05-01-17 03:26 AM
    Software companies do not make hardware it should be clear by now
    05-01-17 03:35 AM
    BlackBerry is on apple path of business, BlackBerry will continue software development and phone will be made TCL or any other manufacturers

Posted by Passport SE killed by Whatsppp
    Which path is that?

Apple isn't really known as a software company, even though some of their Mac and iOS software is considered to be "best in class". It's generally used to help them different and better sell their Hardware. Which they design, have manufactured via their own sourced parts (sometimes designed) and then sell that hardware via their own distribution and marketing.

I expect that if the KEYone doesn't sell a lot... that there will not be a need for some of the software development that BlackBerry is currently doing.
    05-01-17 09:59 AM
53 123