The big obvious thing is the keyboard. Why aren't these reviewers typing on the keyboard more? I know the software isn't final, but the hardware is. Why can't a reviewer comment more on the spacing, weight, finger comfort, top heaviness, clickiness, etc? People want this phone for the keyboard, so talk more about the keyboard!

These generic reviewers don't even know what to do with this phone! Such disappointing videos!
    ariandax and WT44 like this.
    01-08-17 08:53 PM
    Perhaps they weren't allowed. Particularly if this was a pre-production keyboard.
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    01-08-17 09:00 PM
    I would guess that they weren't allowed to comment on it as the feel might change once it goes into production. Knowing BlackBerry, I think they will knock it out of the park when it comes to the physical keyboard. I wouldn't be worried.
    01-08-17 10:12 PM
    How likely is it that it will change in the next two months? Why let people play with it if you're going to reveal something different? Especially when it comes to the keyboard, which is the main focus of the phone.
    01-09-17 05:31 AM
    Those details of the curved or flat keys and the ability to type with one hand are what the "die hards" are trying to know about.
    01-09-17 05:33 AM
    I would guess that they weren't allowed to comment on it as the feel might change once it goes into production. Knowing BlackBerry, I think they will knock it out of the park when it comes to the physical keyboard. I wouldn't be worried.
    Why would you say that? The Priv has a pkb and it is so bad that many people rarely use it, even though I would guess almost everyone bought it because it had the pkb. I would not assume they will put forth a great pkb , judging by recent history.
    01-09-17 05:49 AM
    Never mind
    01-09-17 08:21 AM
    From what I understand, the keyboard on the device shown wasn't final in any way. The keyboard didn't work and the keys weren't even solidly in place. As the CEO put it, the keyboard was a, "work in progress."
    01-09-17 08:23 AM
    From what I understand, the keyboard on the device shown wasn't final in any way. The keyboard didn't work and the keys weren't even solidly in place. As the CEO put it, the keyboard was a, "work in progress."
    That doesn't sound like a phone that will be ready to ship a month after MWC. If you're still working on the hardware then we're talking multiple months.
    p1800nut likes this.
    01-09-17 09:21 AM
    The keyboard looks awful and better get some old BlackBerry DNA incorporated into the design quickly.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 09:45 AM
    Sir! Yes, sir!

The keyboard looks awful and better get some old BlackBerry DNA incorporated into the design quickly.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 10:35 AM
    That doesn't sound like a phone that will be ready to ship a month after MWC. If you're still working on the hardware then we're talking multiple months.
    It might have been a few iterations before the keyboard that will eventually come out. You don't know how long before CES those phones were prepared.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 11:34 AM
    It might have been a few iterations before the keyboard that will eventually come out. You don't know how long before CES those phones were prepared.

Posted via CB10
    Sure hope that's the case!

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 11:41 AM
    As a passport user, I'm not expecting the keyboard to be usable for me...as the phone is considerably narrower than the passport, the keys would HAVE to be closer to privsize. Yes?also, to minimize height and maintain a 5.5" screen, they (the keys) may even be shorter than the passport

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 12:08 PM
    You'd also think some of these egghead reviewers would have a Classic or Passport on hand to compare. Or a Priv even.

If I got a first look, I'd zoom the camera right into the keyboard and spend 80% of the video focusing on what everyone is considering this phone for, THE KEYBOARD!

I'd open up a document and do a typing test, one handed typing test, etc. I'd also test hand comfort and ability to reach across the phone to keys on the other side of the keyboard while holding it with one hand.

The bold and Q10 are awesome for the following situation: you're a busy professional in NYC holding your phone in one hand and the bars on the bus/train with the other. You seamlessly get things done. Or you're sitting on the train with your coffee cup in one hand and typing out an email with the other...on the KEYBOARD!

My ride into nyc this morning with my Passport was just that, with two hands though. To me, one handed use is the ultimate sign of productivity.

These stupid reviews are focusing on everything EXCEPT productivity and typing with the keyboard. They're reviewing them the same way they would slab phones, which are very different and have a different market!

Again I understand they only had a few minutes with the phone and no specs, but stop spending all your video time explaining things that don't matter and focus on what's right in front of you...the KEYBOARD!
    ariandax likes this.
    01-09-17 01:57 PM
    We've already answered that they probably aren't allowed to report on that.
    01-09-17 02:20 PM
    Why aren't these reviewers typing on the keyboard more?
    You'd also think some of these egghead reviewers would have a Classic or Passport on hand to compare. Or a Priv even.
    You're forgetting the fact that, outside of pre-production issues, the majority of these people haven't genuinely used a BlackBerry in years. They're handling them like any other slab because that's all they're used to handling.
    01-09-17 02:52 PM
    It's stupid not to be able to zoom a camera in to someone typing on keys.

This is exactly why Bla1ze should get first looks. He's the foremost BlackBerry authority.
    01-09-17 03:04 PM
    Why would you say that? The Priv has a pkb and it is so bad that many people rarely use it, even though I would guess almost everyone bought it because it had the pkb. I would not assume they will put forth a great pkb , judging by recent history.
    Have a PRIV and use the PKB a lot more than the VKB. I have gone thru a Torch and must have sent there thousands of emails. PRIV PKB is actually quite good and keys have better back light than my SE.

Posted via PRIV and or Passport SE
    01-09-17 03:07 PM
    These stupid reviews are focusing on everything EXCEPT productivity and typing with the keyboard. They're reviewing them the same way they would slab phones, which are very different and have a different market!
    A market that 99.999% of tech reviewers haven't belonged to or bothered to care about for the past five or six years.
    01-09-17 03:15 PM
    I have a Priv and I use the physical keyboard all the time. No, it doesn't have the same feel as a Passport or Classic would, but that's because the slider design didn't provide enough thickness to incorporate enough key travel. BlackBerry did the best that they could with what they had, and personally, I'm a fan of how it feels. It's way better than the old Torch keyboard. Since the Mercury is thicker, I don't think it will have the same problem.

The last "traditional" phone BlackBerry made that had a terrible keyboard was the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition, but that was almost ten years ago.
    01-09-17 03:25 PM
    Have a PRIV and use the PKB a lot more than the VKB. I have gone thru a Torch and must have sent there thousands of emails. PRIV PKB is actually quite good and keys have better back light than my SE.

Posted via PRIV and or Passport SE
    Same here. I use the PKB on my Priv's a lot too. It really is not cramped like many said. I prefer it to the one on the Q10 for sure.
    fanisk likes this.
    01-09-17 03:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why wouldn't they bring the best device they had?

How long ago were those phones prepared.... I bet one was sitting on Chen's desk six months ago. What I doubt is that TCL signed a contract and started working on this phone the next day. And I doubt they were just going to jump into the market with BlackBerry suggestion (not like they have been very right on anything they have done). Smart move would be to have someone or a team to really look at the US market and the enterprise market (as that seems to be the plan to begin with) and try to best deliver a product that meets that markets needs.

And that probably doesn't mean doing an exact copy of a device that BlackBerry started designing over a year ago. I think basic form factor is going to be used, but material and components might be very different. Hopefully maybe by the end of January they'll have some early production models to send to carriers and the likes of the FCC for testing. And they have full production phones at MWC to launch the first of March...
    01-09-17 03:27 PM
    Too much speculation. You have the phone, make videos of what is there and focus on the keyboard. I really hope TCL has people reading these forums.
    01-09-17 04:22 PM
    Why wouldn't they bring the best device they had?

How long ago were those phones prepared.... I bet one was sitting on Chen's desk six months ago. What I doubt is that TCL signed a contract and started working on this phone the next day. And I doubt they were just going to jump into the market with BlackBerry suggestion (not like they have been very right on anything they have done). Smart move would be to have someone or a team to really look at the US market and the enterprise market (as that seems to be the plan to begin with) and try to best deliver a product that meets that markets needs.

And that probably doesn't mean doing an exact copy of a device that BlackBerry started designing over a year ago. I think basic form factor is going to be used, but material and components might be very different. Hopefully maybe by the end of January they'll have some early production models to send to carriers and the likes of the FCC for testing. And they have full production phones at MWC to launch the first of March...
    Why wouldn't they? Because they clearly wanted to show off the design rather than the specs, features and bells and whistles on this thing.

BlackBerry and TCL were working together since before the DTEK50 and Chen told us about "a keyboard device" coming a while ago. I think BlackBerry had already designed this long ago and TCL only produced it, since it's presented as BlackBerry's last in house device. Of course they had some say on how it will be built, since its their responsibility but design wise I think it's all BlackBerry. I hope they shed some light on it at MWC.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 04:33 PM
37 12