Is this unusual? Sure seems like a long time but maybe it's simply me being impatient
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    03-27-17 09:10 AM
    Is this unusual? Sure seems like a long time but maybe it's simply me being impatient
    Just you being impatient.

 ßlackßerry PASSPORT 
    03-27-17 09:19 AM
    Depends.... Last year TCL talked about the Idol 4 at MWC and didn't release it till June. Sometimes manufactures talk about products at these events, that don't even make it into production.

MWC is an opportunity to have a lot of tech "people" look at and talk about your product. If you are Samsung or Apple you are important enough to have an event that tech "people" will make a special trip to. If you are TCL... not so much. So BlackBerry and TCL used the MWC Event even though they weren't really ready to launch a device just yet.

Just think back to when BlackBerry showed those PRIV prototypes.....
    jakie55 likes this.
    03-27-17 09:21 AM
    I am getting impatient as well...

If they would just do the preorder already then I'd feel a little better.. Odd that we have basically heard nothing at all since it's announcement...
    03-27-17 09:30 AM
    Earnings is on Friday so there may be some news by then.
    03-27-17 09:50 AM
    Earnings is on Friday so there may be some news by then.
    BlackBerry has nothing to do with the release of KEYone. Neither the production nor marketing of the device.

Sly, sly, sly...like a Demon's eye.
    03-27-17 10:00 AM
    Nokia N900. Announced September 17th 2008, preodered August 2009, received November 13th 2009. Returned and bought the Motorola Milestone. ^^
    03-27-17 10:09 AM
    BlackBerry has nothing to do with the release of KEYone. Neither its production nor marketing of the device.

Sly, sly, sly...like a Demon's eye.
    I wouldn't say they have nothing to do with it. Chen offloaded the hardware to companies like TCL, but wasn't the KEYone designed in-house? BlackBerry still manages the software too.

I'm not saying they're going to formally announce a release date, just that we sometimes get hints to timelines. Possibly nods to additional carrier support?

Regardless, it's almost April, so I would at least expect the availability of an unlocked KEYone in the coming weeks.
    03-27-17 10:12 AM
    This is a great question. I went to the Crackberry Meet Up in NYC which was very positive. However, I think all the positive press the KEYone got from MWC is kind of dissapaiting. A lot of new phones are being released and I feel they will overshadow the KEYone. I am still going to get one but it is kind of my feeling.
    03-27-17 10:18 AM
    Very unusual for a flagship. They don't know what they're doing.
    03-27-17 10:21 AM
    This is typical of BlackBerry. Even if TCL is more involved, it's still BlackBerry's lead.

Announce a device, then wait for several months, if not almost a year (see PlayBook) before it's actually released.

In the meantime, watch all enthusiasm die away before release.

Rinse, and repeat.

When Samsung and Apple make a device announcement, it seems to always be available for purchase (or at least pre-order) the next day.

Joel
    03-27-17 11:09 AM
    It's you being impatient.

LG did the same thing back in November.
    03-27-17 11:16 AM
    Reading the discussions and complaints (which I understand, as I am impatient by hell) I feel Like already beamed to end of April.

Considering that the April is still ahead of us we should look and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-17 11:27 AM
    This is typical of BlackBerry. Even if TCL is more involved, it's still BlackBerry's lead.

Announce a device, then wait for several months, if not almost a year (see PlayBook) before it's actually released.

In the meantime, watch all enthusiasm die away before release.

Rinse, and repeat.

When Samsung and Apple make a device announcement, it seems to always be available for purchase (or at least pre-order) the next day.

Joel
    I think the same. BlackBerry are loosing money day by day and I think they don't care
    03-27-17 11:45 AM
    They should learn a thing or two from Tesla marketing. People could preorder and put down $$ for a product not even announced yet! I am dying and my google browser probably thinks I'm crazy to google news updates daily.

Not even a one liner update after a pre-registered?!
    03-28-17 06:54 PM

Joel
    That's because they are Samsung and Apple, two companies with extreme clout. They don't have to rely on events like MWC to get press coverage. If they so much as fart, dozens of journos will be there to talk about how it sounded, how it smelled, and how long it lingered and when the next fart will come.
    03-28-17 07:48 PM
    Hahaha!

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 08:46 PM
    I'm getting tired of watching KEYone reviews. I really hope they release it the first week of April.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-17 10:06 PM
    That's because they are Samsung and Apple, two companies with extreme clout. They don't have to rely on events like MWC to get press coverage. If they so much as fart, dozens of journos will be there to talk about how it sounded, how it smelled, and how long it lingered and when the next fart will come.
    Even when BlackBerry was more relevant, they still made announcements way before release.

The big BB10 event in New York was a stand alone event to announce a device (the Z10) that was still a month out, and even then it was first released elsewhere around the world before release in the U.S. another month and a half after that.

By the time it finally went on sale, no one cared.

No reason BlackBerry couldn't wait until March of 2013 to announce BB10 and the Z10, then make it available the next day everywhere.

Joel
    03-28-17 10:32 PM
    My guess was they want to do the keyone release in April once ER is out, ER might be good, causing good press - then there would be some firepower behind the brand name (recent thoughts of BlackBerry in the News) and people might be more inclined to check out the device, even if ER is bad, their name will be back in the News, all news is good news.
    03-28-17 10:33 PM
    I am hoping they don't tie in with the BlackBerry earnings report. The wall street reporters are not too kind to BBRY. I would rather there not be any more confusion than there already is.
    03-29-17 02:08 AM