Early March I asked this question in a topic not specifically dedicated to my question. There never came a conclusive answer and the question quickly got snowed under.

Does anyone (MWC attendees) know if the KeyOne has Gorilla Glass (toughened glass) to protect the cam lens? All we got on the Priv was this failed flimsy plastic film.
    GG4 is what the device display uses. That doesn't mean the lens on the camera is using the same glass as @WT44 asked. The Priv uses GG4 too, but they never put it on the camera lens.
    He meant on the camera lense
    I'm asking this cause the Blackberry Priv cam lens had plastic "protection":
    @1:10

Obviously no deal breaker for me, but I'm just curious as I always have much stuff to carry along in both of my pants pockets and I preferably like to stash more junk (ATM cards, Pens) in my pocket than solely a phone.And no, even though GQ says it's perfectly fine for the modern gentleman,I will not get a man purse.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-17 07:10 AM
    It saved 15% or more by switching to Geico.

Seriously though, probably not GG4, probably just normal glass. Some had plastic because they don't shatter, but they don't allow light through as clean, so I prefer glass for the picture quality and simply be careful with my camera as usual...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-25-17 09:05 AM
    It saved 15% or more by switching to Geico.

Seriously though, probably not GG4, probably just normal glass. Some had plastic because they don't shatter, but they don't allow light through as clean, so I prefer glass for the picture quality and simply be careful with my camera as usual...
    As an European who doesn't speak English natively, I'm not sure I understand what you mean with: "It saved 15% or more by switching to Geico".
    It just really surprises me that after all those people who tried the KeyOne so far, nobody ticked on the cam lens protection with their fingers to see whether it's made of plastic or glass, and/or asked TCL personnel @ MWC. I remember how there were many people who got worked up about it when it turned out that the premium(priced) Priv has got plastic lens "protection". Sure, plastic doesn't shatter, but catching scratches on the cam lens protector are more likely to occur than dropping your phone anyways (unless your name is @shabbs).
    Last edited by WT44; 03-25-17 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Grammar.
    03-25-17 11:37 AM
    Which phones have glass protection over the lens?

On the priv the camera is recessed and there's a metal ring that keeps the plastic off of any surface, it shouldn't scratch that easily I think. Same for keyone I would think but there's no way to tell, just tapping the lens isn't exactly scientific lol
    03-25-17 11:41 AM
    Sure, plastic doesn't shatter, but catching scratches on the cam lens protector are more likely to occur than dropping your phone anywasys (unlesss your name is @shabbs).
    LOL! Too true. I dropped it again today and cracked the tempered glass protector.

I'm done.
    03-25-17 11:52 AM
    LOL! Too true. I dropped it again today and cracked the tempered glass protector.

I'm done.
    Nah...just your reasons to get KEYone
    Carjackd likes this.
    03-25-17 12:03 PM

I'm done.
    Probably a good demonstration of the difference between ordinary tempered glass and Gorilla Glass.
    03-25-17 02:14 PM
    Probably a good demonstration of the difference between ordinary tempered glass and Gorilla Glass.
    HA! Well, I've shattered the Gorilla glass... twice. More of an issue with the design and the lack of really protective cases for the PRIV.
    03-25-17 02:20 PM
    Nah...just your reasons to get KEYone
    Heh. Well, if I move to a phone it will be a DTEK60... but we'll see what's coming down the line...
    03-25-17 02:20 PM
    HA! Well, I've shattered the Gorilla glass... twice. More of an issue with the design and the lack of really protective cases for the PRIV.
    It's one of the reasons I use the flip case. I HOPE it'll protect the screen in a fall. As long as it doesn't open on the way down.
    03-25-17 03:32 PM
    It's one of the reasons I use the flip case. I HOPE it'll protect the screen in a fall. As long as it doesn't open on the way down.
    I think shabbs actually had it strapped in a flipcase one or both of the times he dropped and smashed the screen. Shabbs, you must be one of the unluckiest guys that I know regarding phone dropping and following screen shattering. Really, 3rd time you busted one, today?! Reminds me of one of my uncles when I was a kid who always, and I mean always, dropped the balls of ice cream from the cone after he bought it and then walked over to my nieces/nephews and me to reach it. I still remember my nieces always crying when he did it yet again haha.
    Last edited by WT44; 03-25-17 at 05:12 PM.
    03-25-17 05:02 PM
    As an European who doesn't speak English natively, I'm not sure I understand what you mean with: "It saved 15% or more by switching to Geico".
    It just really surprises me that after all those people who tried the KeyOne so far, nobody ticked on the cam lens protection with their fingers to see whether it's made of plastic or glass, and/or asked TCL personnel @ MWC. I remember how there were many people who got worked up about it when it turned out that the premium(priced) Priv has got plastic lens "protection". Sure, plastic doesn't shatter, but catching scratches on the cam lens protector are more likely to occur than dropping your phone anyways (unless your name is @shabbs).
    The Geico line is from their series of TV commercials. The commercial is related to anything but insurance (like what kind of camera lens - then suddenly a character speaks up about saving money on Geico - so nonsense!!!!)

I can see your point about pockets full of potentially scratchy items. I got a Martin Fields "screen protector" that came with a lens protector for the Priv.

I don't think tapping it would have helped. Too small to "ring" like glass or "thud" like plastic. You may have to wait till a review like the one for the Priv. I am sure no one with the limited sample will be trying to scratch it.

edited to add: I guess you can look and see what TCL (TLC?) uses on their other models - it might give you can idea.
    WT44 likes this.
    03-25-17 06:37 PM
    Glass isn't going to prevent scratches. If anything, I'd like to see the camera protected by this:

03-26-17 08:20 AM
    Glass isn't going to prevent scratches. If anything, I'd like to see the camera protected by this:
    Check this out... the Nokia 6 camera lens. That's what we need.

2m 20s mark has the camera test.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-26-17 09:04 AM

This guy is brutal!!! Loved the map drawing! But that camera did stand up very well.
    03-26-17 10:03 AM

At breakfast, so I couldn't listen. Getting enough evil eyes

Kinda odd, it appears there's one piece covering the lens and flash, yet the lens remains scratch free, while the flash gets chewed up instantly.
    03-26-17 10:23 AM
    The flash is only covered by plastic. As per Jerry, he said that's fine as scratches won't prevent it from working, light will still pass through.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-26-17 10:38 AM
    Hopefully, it's not like priv.
    03-26-17 11:00 AM
    Which phones have glass protection over the lens?

On the priv the camera is recessed and there's a metal ring that keeps the plastic off of any surface, it shouldn't scratch that easily I think. Same for keyone I would think but there's no way to tell, just tapping the lens isn't exactly scientific lol
    Sapphire coatings are not uncommon. I'm pretty sure all Galaxy flagships as well as iPhones are sapphire coated.
    03-26-17 02:00 PM
    Sapphire top covers are more scratch-resistant than mineral glass but have their own issues -- specifically, they have a different refractive index. This can cause serious problems with flare and ghosting and is very difficult to control, which is why you don't see it used on the front element of lenses made for dSLRs and similar.
    FF22 and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-26-17 04:25 PM
    The Geico line is from their series of TV commercials. The commercial is related to anything but insurance (like what kind of camera lens - then suddenly a character speaks up about saving money on Geico - so nonsense!!!!)

I can see your point about pockets full of potentially scratchy items. I got a Martin Fields "screen protector" that came with a lens protector for the Priv.

I don't think tapping it would have helped. Too small to "ring" like glass or "thud" like plastic. You may have to wait till a review like the one for the Priv. I am sure no one with the limited sample will be trying to scratch it.

edited to add: I guess you can look and see what TCL (TLC?) uses on their other models - it might give you can idea.
    Thanks for the clarification.

How is KeyOne Camera lens protected?-pose_thumbs-up.jpg
    FF22 and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-27-17 03:37 PM
    Thanks for the clarification.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pose_thumbs-up.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	420341
    Yup, that's him (her?). A couple of years back it was the symbol as the supposed confusion was Gecko versus Geico!!! It has stuck around as the mascot.
    03-27-17 04:16 PM