I will be buying a Blackberry KeyONE.

I buy Blackberry phones for the physical keyboard plus the Hub, LED notifications, and all the other things that are uniquely Blackberry. I want an Android system to have access to all the apps. This phone meets my purchase criteria.

Today, everyone as a consumer has a choice where they put their money. I hope Blackberry fans will continue to support this niche company that is really the only ones creating phones for people like you and me.

What boggles my mind is the haters here. There are some who don't understand the economics of producing a product. You will never get a Blackberry phone with the same specs as high end iPhone or Samsung/Pixel phones at a lower price point. These phones/companies have massive market share and purchasing power. For every piece of plastic or every camera lens they purchase from a supplier, they can order 1000x the number that Blackberry can for a discount. They might pay $2 for a camera lens where Blackberry pays $5 or $5. Every year that goes past where Blackberry loses market share, their purchasing power diminishes and it gets increasingly difficult to deliver at a lower price point than their competitors.

Some of you might focus on the name, or the specs, or the price. That is absolutely your choice as a consumer. Just understand what goes into a consumer product.

For myself, I will continue to buy and support Blackberry Android phones as they fit my purposes perfectly, and hope that with my support and the support of others we will slowly grow market share and deliver what we all know to be some of the best phones in the world.
    02-25-17 02:14 PM
    You say in the first paragraph that you buy a blackberry for the hub. The hub software has been released on the play store for every android user who wishes to download it.
    Cobra-Commander and jakie55 like this.
    02-25-17 02:16 PM
    I said that I buy it for the physical keyboard PLUS the hub (and other Blackberry features above). Every phone has common features "front-facing camera" "Hub" "Android OS" etc... for me it's the combination of the unique Blackberry keyboard plus other things that feel like Blackberry to me.
    tjseaman likes this.
    02-25-17 02:19 PM
    Well said man! Screw the haters. So excited!

Posted via CB10
    People are using the word haters too loosely these days.

Could it possibly be that these are actually people who love BlackBerry so much that it makes them mad to see this Brand so mis-managed, time and time again?

I personally don't have an issue paying $550 US for the privilege of the PKB, but the presentation today and April/May release date is pure incompetence.
    You say in the first paragraph that you buy a blackberry for the hub. The hub software has been released on the play store for every android user who wishes to download it.
    For the keyboard plus the Hub.

Edit: nevermind, already posted while I was typing.
    cmykink likes this.
    02-25-17 02:20 PM
    At the end of the day, people need to compare the price of the KeyOne to other mid-to-high end smartphones that have a BlackBerry physical keyboard ... oh wait, there aren't any others?

Posted via CB10
    danfrancisco, BLu, jng0705 and 3 others like this.
    02-25-17 02:22 PM
    I agree the presentation was not fantastic but at the end of the day to me it's about the product that gets into my hand and how it fits into my life.

I'm sure they could have brought in celebrities and spent a ton of money on the flash and glitz of the presentation but I don't care as long as the phone is good.

My reference to "haters" was a lot of threads and posts where people expect to have high end features for a low price in a product that doesn't have the same purchasing power as others. Trashing Blackberry execs and employees for being stupid when there's a lot out of their control in terms of price.
    raqball likes this.
    02-25-17 02:22 PM
    BlackBerry tried to have as many premium specs as possible under $600 and did an amazing job. Er, TCL I should say.

The haters want super cheap and high end specs. They are clueless. There's no other word.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:25 PM
    Agreed. Can't wait. Price is fine. Ready to buy. Just hope Verizon will have it!
    cmykink likes this.
    02-25-17 02:27 PM
    Yep, and it's worth nothing that the phone is launching CHEAPER than the Priv with more features (fingerprint reader, better front facing camera/flash, etc).
    terminatorx and anon(3641385) like this.
    02-25-17 02:27 PM
    But it's a phone manufactured by TCL not BlackBerry so why to pay money to TCL, will pay to BlackBerry but BlackBerry isn't manufacturing phone anymore. They are out of the game.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:29 PM
    Well said friend.

Passport/CB10 on Bell
    02-25-17 02:30 PM
    But it's a phone manufactured by TCL not BlackBerry so why to pay money to TCL, will pay to BlackBerry but BlackBerry isn't manufacturing phone anymore. They are out of the game.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Mobile.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    02-25-17 02:30 PM
    Yep, and it's worth nothing that the phone is launching CHEAPER than the Priv with more features (fingerprint reader, better front facing camera/flash, etc).
    No it's not. Priv has better display, higher resolution, bigger screen, curved, wireless charging and slider. You want to know how Priv is better deal during its launch? Cause its specs still hold very well against the keyone. While a year from now, the keyone will be complete junk since its launching already with below average specs while having a HIGH END price.
    02-25-17 02:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    They are carrying the torch for the only product that has what I want in a phone, so I support them with my $.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    02-25-17 02:32 PM

What boggles my mind is the haters here. There are some who don't understand the economics of producing a product. You will never get a Blackberry phone with the same specs as high end iPhone or Samsung/Pixel phones at a lower price point. These phones/companies have massive market share and purchasing power. For every piece of plastic or every camera lens they purchase from a supplier, they can order 1000x the number that Blackberry can for a discount. They might pay $2 for a camera lens where Blackberry pays $5 or $5. Every year that goes past where Blackberry loses market share, their purchasing power diminishes and it gets increasingly difficult to deliver at a lower price point than their competitors.
    I don't get what this has to with the Keyone - none of this applies - it's not made by Blackberry, it's not a blackberry phone. It's made by TCL - who own their own production plants and are a massive company.
    02-25-17 02:32 PM
    No it's not. Priv has better display, higher resolution, bigger screen, curved, wireless charging and slider. You want to know how Priv is better deal during its launch? Cause its specs still hold very well against the keyone. While a year from now, the keyone will be complete junk since its launching already with below average specs while having a HIGH END price.
    I guess it depends on which features you value, only you know that. The KeyONE has a bigger battery and longer battery life as well. Priv has a bigger screen. Certain features will be more valuable to some than others (e.g. for some the slider is a deterrent not a feature). For me it seems to have added more features.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Priv. I'm not a blind fangirl, I will keep my Priv and return the KeyONE if it does not live up to what I was hoping.
    02-25-17 02:35 PM
    I don't get what this has to with the Keyone - none of this applies - it's not made by Blackberry, it's not a blackberry phone. It's made by TCL - who own their own production plants and are a massive company.
    That's why I think it's a good partnership, but every phone had custom parts and custom pieces made for it, the sum of which add up to the total price. They will still never have the purchasing power of an iPhone that has the existing customer demand. With lower units sold they will not be able to play with margins as some of the other companies may be able to. Not to mention the brand power, marketing budget, and the sales distribution networks.
    02-25-17 02:38 PM
    At the end of the day, people need to compare the price of the KeyOne to other mid-to-high end smartphones that have a BlackBerry physical keyboard ... oh wait, there aren't any others?

Posted via CB10
    Haha!

Passport/CB10 on Bell
    02-25-17 02:51 PM
    That's why I think it's a good partnership, but every phone had custom parts and custom pieces made for it, the sum of which add up to the total price. They will still never have the purchasing power of an iPhone that has the existing customer demand. With lower units sold they will not be able to play with margins as some of the other companies may be able to. Not to mention the brand power, marketing budget, and the sales distribution networks.
    TCL is a chinese manufacturer, dude this is pure greed, has nothing to do with cost cutting.
    02-25-17 03:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    You shouldn't ask yourself, to which company you throw your money, the core-question should be, which device does fulfill your needs at it's best. For many is this the Keyone, as it merges Android-capability and a PKB. For me, the company behind doesn't matter.

I hope, the trolls won't rush this thread as well ...
    anon(3641385) and cmykink like this.
    02-25-17 03:09 PM
    TCL is a chinese manufacturer, dude this is pure greed, has nothing to do with cost cutting.
    ? Every other phone manufacturer uses cheap manufacturing in Asia/India... all things are equal, the difference is the buying power.
    02-27-17 01:09 AM
    BlackBerry does not make phones for you and me. Speak for yourself, and stick to that principle. I DO NOT do Androids. As they began to manufacture Android-based phones, they lost my support already. And we are not to blame for the poor market share; it is their own responsibility. I had bought every single product starting from 9500 except what I can't get: 9650. They didn't get my approval to switch to Android,which is why I am not going to spend any dollar on any Black-Droid products.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    02-27-17 01:18 AM
    Lots of Party Poopers in the forums today, I guess they are jealous they won't be getting one or something. I see no other reason for the hatred.

At first I thought "maybe they just hate the fact that there is still a Canadian option" and they are so patriotic or whatever. Yes, the last time I checked BLACKBERRY is still a Canadian company and that name is still on the new device so to some of us that still means something!

Then I realized it can't have much to do with "Protectionism" down south because these haters also love to diss on Apple, their own company. Do they realize that thousands and thousands of jobs are dependant on Apple?

Some have referred to the KeyOne "its just a phone" but some of us think DEEPER than that short-sighted view. There are still a LOT of Canadian jobs on the line, and for those of us that remember the Nortel fiasco, well......you know what I am talking about. We like that our companies don't give up and people in here need to realize that CHOICE is a good thing!

There are those that want the DEATH of Blackberry and that is all they want. Once a company is gone it is GONE! There will be no bringing it back and people better realize it is as dead as BBOS! Choice is good, choice is how GM got big in the 1950's, by offering CHOICE! I remember people when the company fell on hard times "KILL GM, let it die, just like Pontiac and Oldsmobile!" Except the economy recovered! People had $$$ to spend again. Now there can never be a new Pontiac Trans Am or an Olds 442. They are DEAD! I like to think our Canadian companies do NOT have that type of short-sighted thinking of just "KILL IT" and save a few bucks today instead of trying to think past their noses for the POTENTIAL LONG TERM.

Never say "never." Any company can come back. And if all Blackberry does is SURVIVE, then so be it. I will take pleasure in the fact it must drive the haters nuts then.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 02-27-17 at 02:14 AM.
    anon(3641385) and cmykink like this.
    02-27-17 01:58 AM
38 12