I saw the review of the Samsung Galaxy S8, where the New York Times recommended holding off purchasing the S8, citing some hardware decisions that may not sit well with consumers (i.e locating the fingerprint scanner on the back next to the camera) as well as the unfinished key features, like Bixby. The also threw out the now-ubiquitous safety record of the Note batteries.

This is good news for the KeyOne, especially with the recent delays. I'm not sure how many people this article would influence into waiting to buy the S8, or skipping a purchase all-together, seeing as it's not from a technology-centered publication. But it certainly doesn't hurt.

I really hope that the KeyOne is successful, so that more phones in the future will offer physical keyboards.
    Last edited by XCBatman; 04-19-17 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added hyperlink, S7 to Note
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 06:34 AM
    Different class of phone...
    Uzi likes this.
    04-19-17 07:21 AM
    I'm not sure anyone who is going to buy the S8 that would be influenced by this article are necessarily candidates for the KEYone. There are so many Android phones to choose from and many more to come out this year. Odds are that these same people have no idea that the KEYone exists.

Also, the S7 didn't have battery issues. It was the Note 7.
    Uzi likes this.
    04-19-17 07:22 AM
    I was already planning to delay purchase of the S8...forever! Samsung phones do nothing for me, like their TVs they seem flashy, but with no depth. They are designed to sell to the masses who can't distinguish specs from real quality and usability. It's the Samsung way.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    TGIS likes this.
    04-19-17 09:05 AM
    What's the overlap between the S8's target market (almost everyone) and the KEYone's target market (part of CrackBerry), anyway? Besides, reviews from other sources don't have the same qualms. If anyone is seriously deterred by what a newspaper has to say about the phone then they'd probably hold out for the next LG/Apple flagship, or the Note 8, or many other phones that aren't the KEYone.
    xandros9, Dunt Dunt Dunt and TGIS like this.
    04-19-17 09:30 AM
    The S8 is a two handed device and even if you use their one-handed mode, you'll still need to stretch or use two-hands due to the placement of the fingerprint sensor.

It feels great in the hand due to the width but due to the height, it's not one-hand friendly but they do have the one-hand mode available.

Anything groundbreaking with it? Not that I can see, the camera as I predicted is plateauing and all these people can do is add a "dual camera" but as far as image quality and low light goes, they've hit the max I think.

So...I'd get the S7 honestly. Anytime samsung does a huge revision it needs a follow-up to really nail it - so the S9.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    04-19-17 10:12 AM
    As if anyone reads the NY Times...
    04-19-17 11:46 AM
    Choice between S7 or S8 is simple- save 250 euro / dollar and buy a S7 . the bad is that they say the camera is better on S8, but it is the same camera with optimised camera software that they still not bring out for the S7. So how is that for marketing and don't give a rat about S7 users.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-19-17 12:02 PM
    Well, this probably applies to K1 too, as this is the first device with pkb made by TCL I think...
    Moreover my Passport's SE screen was a little rise up compared to the frame and K1 looks pretty similar to that model so I'd wait for sure.

If you think about it, we should wait for a while before buying ANY new electronic device 😁
    04-19-17 01:21 PM
    Well, if mobilesyrup is anything to go by, the K1 could sell at least better than expected based on their recent poll.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/04/17/po...re-you-buying/

I don't know if it's because a whole bunch of us CB'ers have inflated the numbers, but I know that mobilesyrup commenter's have tended to be hostile to BB.

Cheers.
    04-19-17 02:03 PM
    The fingerprint sensor location is a MASSIVE screwup and almost renders it worthless.

On the DTEK60 with it on the back it's fine because it's below the camera and thus the risk of oiling your camera face glass is low. It's also in a place where your index finger intuitively falls when you grab the phone without much "training", so it works really well. With the location on the S8 you're going to sliming the camera glass almost every time you unlock it and there's just no way around that. This is one of those "can't fix it" things that has no actual solution and frankly, I don't understand how Samsung let that one get out of the lab.

But, they did, and thus there you are.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 02:22 PM
    What's the overlap between the S8's target market (almost everyone) and the KEYone's target market (part of CrackBerry), anyway?
    S8 is the only other phone with physical keyboard in the market. Yes, it's just a case but official. So for me, there's an overlap and I'm thinking about grabbing S8+ at least to try it how it feels. It will be available month ahead of K1 on our market (20. 4. vs 16. 5.) and while reading post about delays in the UK (from 5. 5. to 22. 5.), I don't believe it will arrive on 16th...
    04-19-17 02:30 PM
    Keyone will outsell S8!
    04-19-17 03:44 PM
    Keyone will outsell S8!
    Bbaaaahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahhaah!
    04-19-17 04:21 PM
    Bbaaaahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahhaah!
    Lol, I'm sure he was joking. Or maybe just being overly optimistic. :-P

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-19-17 04:58 PM
    Wow. I just went to the poll to see the figures. over 31% going toward the KeyOne.
    04-19-17 04:59 PM
    Lol, I'm sure he was joking. Or maybe just being overly optimistic. :-P

Obviously. That's what makes it so funny.
    04-19-17 05:12 PM
    Wow. I just went to the poll to see the figures. over 31% going toward the KeyOne.
    20% came from Slagman who kept taking the poll over and over again while he was pooping.
    04-19-17 05:13 PM
    Let's just call this alternative facts. What's the NYT going to say next? First Bill O'Reilly and now don't buy an S8....
    04-19-17 05:16 PM
    20% came from Slagman who kept taking the poll over and over again while he was pooping.
    Hey, if that's true it would be closer to 40%!!

FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 05:18 PM
    Hey, if that's true it would be closer to 40%!!
    At least you admitted to the 20%.
    04-19-17 05:23 PM
    At least you admitted to the 20%.
    Lol. And what poll, is it on the website OP linked? I'll go vote for real. :-)

Edit: NM, I see someone posted a link for mobilesyrup.

04-19-17 05:25 PM
    Wow, usually when a BB phone is leading a poll it's because someone posted a link here and everyone on CB is voting on it. How is it leading all of the other phones? Proof of the disconnect between the people who read these sites and the majority of the normal people who buy phones? Because I guarantee you the KEYone will not outsell those other phones like that...

04-19-17 05:31 PM
    Wow, usually when a BB phone is leading a poll it's because someone posted a link here and everyone on CB is voting on it. How is it leading all of the other phones? ....
    Must be why we haven't heard too much from CBK for a while.
    04-19-17 05:41 PM
    Maybe he means they'll sell more KeyOne phones than Samsung will sell PKB cases for the S8, not the phone itself.
    slagman5 likes this.
    04-19-17 05:48 PM
45 12